ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Souvenir!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LeStryge
Green Beret
LeStryge

A Souvenir! Empty
PostSubject: A Souvenir!   A Souvenir! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2019 7:24 am

Two young WWII American pilots out of Hawaii show off a great souvenir of a Japanese Zero they shot down earlier!

A Souvenir! EnpsPD

Prof Gangrene Fan

A Souvenir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Souvenir!   A Souvenir! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2019 10:04 am

Liking this picture.

inntruderr61

A Souvenir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Souvenir!   A Souvenir! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 3:17 am

Cool pic! Very Happy

Admin
SCU_HQ

A Souvenir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Souvenir!   A Souvenir! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 5:53 am

I talked to an older gentleman once at an aviation museum who had donated a Japanese pilot's scarf to the museum. He told me the story of how the pilot had made a forced landing and how they ended up facing off in hand-to-hand combat. It was not an easy story for the man to tell. It certainly put a much more real face on the war than what comes through in books and movies.

I could tell that he felt badly about what he had to do all those years ago, and that a big part of the reason he had donated the scarf to the museum was to honor the memory of his fallen foe. And he wanted to tell that story. He needed to tell that story.

That was a number of years ago. I assume he is no longer with us, although at the time he was healthy and hearty. After the combat story, he mentioned fishing, and so I asked him some questions about fishing, to try to lighten the mood, and he was off and running, talking and laughing and showing me photos  on his phone from his recent Alaskan salmon fishing trip... where the bush planes they used to ferry the fishermen in to remote lakes were WWII era PBY amphibious planes! It was great fun talking with someone who could tell first-hand combat stories from WWII, but who was still active and vital and interested in life in his late retirement years.

Sad thing was, back then, probably fifteen or more years ago, it kind of seemed like nobody around... and there were quite a few people in the museum... was particularly interested in hearing the stories of the WWII vets. Back then, there were still a lot of guys in their late-70s and early-80s around who could talk about that stuff, but nobody wanted to listen. Now, with the handful of remaining combat veterans being in their mid-90s, there seems to be an inordinate level of interest in hearing their stories and praising them as being heroes.

Cool pic... and it's actually showing up now! Razz

Green Beret
LeStryge

A Souvenir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Souvenir!   A Souvenir! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 6:06 am

So sad that so much oral history is being lost.Those guys had experiences that are unlikely to ever happen again and they aren't writers so when they are gone such things are gone forever.
I do know that Japanese pilots often wore Senninbari , or scarf of a thousand stitches. These were white scarves with a thousand stitches in red cotton. Each stitch had to be done by a different person and it was believed that the finished scarf would be something of a lucky talisman for the pilot, conveying the wishes of each person to him on his flights. Women would carry the scarf out in the streets and ask random passers by to make a single stitch to wish their sons/husbands luck.

Thanks to all for the comments on my pic.

Admin
SCU_HQ

A Souvenir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Souvenir!   A Souvenir! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 6:57 am

LeStryge wrote:
... and it was believed that the finished scarf would be something of a lucky talisman for the pilot, conveying the wishes of each person to him on his flights.

That is exactly what the veteran explained to me about the scarf!

Green Beret
LeStryge

A Souvenir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Souvenir!   A Souvenir! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 7:06 am

When I first learned about the scarves, I thought it was mainly the Kamikaze pilots that wore them, but later I was told that many other pilots did too.

Admin
gibri

A Souvenir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Souvenir!   A Souvenir! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 1:54 pm

Fascinating stories!

Thanks!

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

A Souvenir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Souvenir!   A Souvenir! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 3:23 am

Thanks for sharing SCU_HQ! Very Happy

Green Beret
LeStryge

A Souvenir! Empty
PostSubject: Here's one.   A Souvenir! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 3:38 am

Here's what sennibari looked like.
The thread is continuous, and each person did the next single stitch until there were 1000.

A Souvenir! Lb0RUf

A Souvenir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Souvenir!   A Souvenir! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Souvenir!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: Non-VAM and Other 1:6 Scale Figure Lines :: Other 1/6 Figure Random Photos-
Jump to: