ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

MY WILLY WAGTAILS

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
LeStryge
AUSTRALIAN JUNGLE FIGHTER
LeStryge

MY WILLY WAGTAILS Empty
PostSubject: MY WILLY WAGTAILS   MY WILLY WAGTAILS Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2019 2:41 am

THIS has been going on right outside my back door.
The birds are commonly known as "Willy Wagtails" and the nest is made of cobwebs. Mum was having a hard time getting the webs to stick to an extendable awning's metal bar, so I tied some old string around it, but was a little worried she'd abandon the site due to my interference.
Not to worry, she took one look at the foundation and went straight ahead!
They have chosen to nest in such very close proximity to humans for the protection our presence offers from bigger predatory birds, although the parents will persistently harass much bigger birds if they even venture in the large area they lay claim to.

The three kids (of course they are called Hewie, Dewie and Lewie!) are now about ready to fledge, having almost fully feathered up. Those new feathers seem to be quite itchy.
Mum and Dad both shared the sitting and both are actively feeding the chicks.

If you watch closely at around 1.25 plus you'll see the amazing sanitation system that keeps the nest clean.
An insect is poked into the mouth and the parent then straight away flies around to the other end to pick up the excrement which is immediately expelled in a neat little packet to be taken away and disposed of elsewhere. Amazing!
I expect the babies to leave the nest probably tomorrow or the next day at the latest, as they are becoming more and more daring and it's getting awfully crowded in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw_ocfhlMdo&feature=em-share_video_user

Last edited by LeStryge on Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

MY WILLY WAGTAILS Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WILLY WAGTAILS   MY WILLY WAGTAILS Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2019 7:10 am

"This Video Is Private"

But it sounds like quite the fun feathered family you have in your back garden! Clever thinking about the string to provide a base for the nest. I'm glad mum & dad took you up on your offer of assistance.

Last edited by SCU_HQ on Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
LeStryge

MY WILLY WAGTAILS Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WILLY WAGTAILS   MY WILLY WAGTAILS Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2019 8:01 am

So sorry, ...I'll "unprivate" it ASAP!

SHOULD WORK NOW...let me know if it doesn't!

Admin
SCU_HQ

MY WILLY WAGTAILS Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WILLY WAGTAILS   MY WILLY WAGTAILS Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2019 4:05 pm

Video clip is visible now.

That's quite a full house with those three in there!

LeStryge

MY WILLY WAGTAILS Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WILLY WAGTAILS   MY WILLY WAGTAILS Icon_minitimeWed Sep 25, 2019 10:18 pm

Sure is, ....and somehow at night one of the parents still sits on the nest on top of the kids!
They are getting braver and actually standing up on the edge of the nest, one even went for a little walk along the bar.

inntruderr61

MY WILLY WAGTAILS Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WILLY WAGTAILS   MY WILLY WAGTAILS Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2019 3:14 am

Cool refreshing video! I enjoy nature! cheers cheers cheers

Admin
gibri

MY WILLY WAGTAILS Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WILLY WAGTAILS   MY WILLY WAGTAILS Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2019 5:03 am

Thanks Barry, nice video, I really enjoyed it!

I read that Field Marshall Alan Francis Brooke was a birder.

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
LeStryge

MY WILLY WAGTAILS Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WILLY WAGTAILS   MY WILLY WAGTAILS Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2019 5:21 am

These little birds are incredibly brave for their size.  They worry the hell out of any cats without getting caught as well as crows.
A week or so ago they set off their distinctive alarm call and when I investigated I found a two and a half metre python crawling past! (The snake could not have possibly reached their nest as it's far too high off the ground.)  

A few years back I noticed the parents stealing horse hair from the manes of the horses next door to line the inside of their nest, and a little later when I was relaxing enjoying some sun out by the pool, the cheeky little bugger landed on the back of the sun lounge and pulled some of my own hair out!

This current lot of babies have grown up with my music playing and lights at night and I have noticed the parents struggling to get their little heads settled down underneath for the night as the kids seem to be so interested in what's going on inside the house!
They can see inside through a window but it's obviously WAY past their bedtime!

Last edited by LeStryge on Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Captian action
Captian action

Location : Kent, The Lorry Park of England ! Some call it the garden of England , it is ,if your garden is covered in wheelie bins and dog doo !

MY WILLY WAGTAILS Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WILLY WAGTAILS   MY WILLY WAGTAILS Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2019 6:15 pm

great video of the fauna mate !

Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heavenMY WILLY WAGTAILS G.I.-Joe-1964-Lineup-Title_zpsaepa6syh Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
LeStryge

MY WILLY WAGTAILS Empty
PostSubject: They're OFF!   MY WILLY WAGTAILS Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2019 7:33 am

About a half hour after this shot was taken the first kid flew off. The others sat there for a couple more hours, seemingly afraid to take the first big step, but as darkness was approaching and I wanted to make sure they were all in parent's care for the night, I gently persuaded the last two to leave the nest. (Bit like teenagers, eh?)
Anyway, Mum, Dad and the three kids are now happily together in the garden.
The little ones can fly amazingly well, seeing as they've never done it before.

MY WILLY WAGTAILS L1Lg57

MY WILLY WAGTAILS Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY WILLY WAGTAILS   MY WILLY WAGTAILS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MY WILLY WAGTAILS
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: AMMO Commons :: Off Topic-
Jump to: