ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

RIP Clive Cussler

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
gibri
Admin
gibri

RIP Clive Cussler Empty
PostSubject: RIP Clive Cussler   RIP Clive Cussler Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2020 10:42 pm

The author and real life adventurer has died at 88.

Sad to hear.
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

RIP Clive Cussler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Clive Cussler   RIP Clive Cussler Icon_minitimeWed Feb 26, 2020 11:27 pm

I didn't realize Cussler was that old. Then again, Raise the Titanic (the only Cussler book I've read) was published a long time ago, I guess, long before the wreck was finally discovered.

Odd coincidence, I almost picked up a Cussler novel at the library last week, but I put it back after realizing I realistically wouldn't have the time to get to it.

He had a good run, and his income from writing allowed him to lead a life of adventure. Can't ask for much more than that.

AUSTRALIAN JUNGLE FIGHTER
LeStryge

RIP Clive Cussler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Clive Cussler   RIP Clive Cussler Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 12:55 am

Cussler was not only a prolific author, but also the founder and chairman of the National Underwater and Marine Agency (NUMA), which has discovered more than 60 shipwreck sites and numerous other notable underwater wrecks.  What a pity he never got to discover the wreck of The Titanic......although finding that ship in its actual condition it would have totally negated his whole novel.

("Raise the Titanic as apparently an extremely expensive movie to make at the time. It received mixed reviews by critics and audiences and proved to be a box office bomb. The film only grossed about $7 million against an estimated $40 million budget. Producer Lew Grade later remarked "it would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic".)

I do remember Cussler usually started all his stories with a chapter set way back in the past, which seem unrelated until some artifact is mentioned later that ties it in. A writer of some "ripping yarns".....many of which contain images highly suitable for illustrating with our Action Figures!

Admin
SCU_HQ

RIP Clive Cussler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Clive Cussler   RIP Clive Cussler Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 2:35 am

LeStryge wrote:
"Raise the Titanic as apparently an extremely expensive movie to make at the time. It received mixed reviews by critics and audiences and proved to be a box office bomb. The film only grossed about $7 million against an estimated $40 million budget. Producer Lew Grade later remarked "it would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic".
. . .
A writer of some "ripping yarns".....many of which contain images highly suitable for illustrating with our Action Figures!

I read Raise the Titanic in anticipation of the movie being released. I was fascinated by the Titanic saga when I was a kid, and teen me was eager to see the movie, and I purchased the paperback release of the book while waiting for the film. The book was pretty good. The movie was a pale imitation of the book, very disappointing, although I recall liking the slow-mo scenes of the ship emerging above the surface of the water. They used miniature model work back in those days, not digital effects (not invented yet), and it looked really good. Or so I thought at the time. I haven't seen the movie since its theatrical release.

"... images highly suitable for illustrating with our Action Figures." Erm... yes! If I recall the ending of the book correctly, in Raise the Titanic, the heroine is standing on deck totally nude for most of the climactic scene, boldly staring down the villains who are threatening to disfigure her with a knife. So you'll need to invest in some Phicen figs to do justice to Cussler.
Wink

That scene did not appear in the film version. Bummer.

LeStryge

RIP Clive Cussler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Clive Cussler   RIP Clive Cussler Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 2:52 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
I recall liking the slow-mo scenes of the ship emerging above the surface of the water.
Yes, and it came up still in ONE piece!

SCU_HQ wrote:
They used miniature model work back in those days, not digital effects (not invented yet), and it looked really good. Or so I thought at the time. I haven't seen the movie since its theatrical release.
Oh I am a HUGE fan of what is now considered old-fashioned model work in movies! Specially ships, whether they be pirate/17th/18th century sailing ships or WWI and II stuff.
Really enjoy the efforts of the early Star Wars where everything had to be done "for real", ...even those explosions.

SCU_HQ wrote:
So you'll need to invest in some Phicen figs to do justice to Cussler. Wink
Dave, try as you might to entice me to shell out for one of those things, gotta tell you it ain't gonna happen.....EVAH!
Just about everyone that has one moans about it. Personally I'm with Dr Evil on this issue...... Twisted Evil

As for illustrating his books, you only have to look at the covers and titles of his Body of Work on the net to see that most of them were "Boy's Own Adventure" stuff, ...OK, spiced up with a bit more sex and nudity, but essentially adventure stories set in exotic locations.

Admin
SCU_HQ

RIP Clive Cussler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Clive Cussler   RIP Clive Cussler Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 3:12 am

LeStryge wrote:

Yes, and it came up still in ONE piece!

As for illustrating his books, you only have to look at the covers and titles of his Body of Work on the net to see that most of them were "Boy's Own Adventure" stuff....

I was quite disappointed when the actual Titanic wreck was discovered to be broken in half. Later, I learned that most of the witnesses at the inquest said that the ship broke in half, but the owners and insurers had that testimony dismissed because it cast aspersions on their engineering prowess or something to that effect.

Yeah, the covers of the Cussler books were always great, always tempting. I'm not sure why I never read another one after Titanic. Just never got around to it, and then after a while there were so many, and the years kind of slipped by, and... and I can't tell you how many things I planned to get around to when I was twenty years old that somehow never happened... and now I'm not twenty years old anymore and I cannot tell you where the years went.

As I think about it, I may have felt a bit put off by Dirk Pitt's all-around awesomeness. Athletic, brilliant, accomplished in everything, good-looking, babes flocking around him – when characters are too awesome I tend to be turned off. There was nothing about Pitt to which I could relate, being as I was pretty much the antithesis of everything he was in every possible way. Yes, it's coming back to me now; I'm pretty sure that was why I haven't read any other Cussler books.

Wolf_Soldier64

RIP Clive Cussler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Clive Cussler   RIP Clive Cussler Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 8:42 am

Truly a great and fantastic Author, of many adventure books will be sadly missed, specially His Dirk Pitt novels. His first was Mayday or also so known as Mediterranean Caper,
I`ve read all his fantastic Books of Dirk Pitt adventures

if you guys get a chance to read them you wont be disappointed

Here`s a list books with Dirk Pitt

Pacific Vortex! (1983) (though released at a later date, this is the first book that was written)
The Mediterranean Caper (a.k.a. Mayday, 1973)
Iceberg (1975)
Raise the Titanic! (1976)
Vixen 03 (1978)
Night Probe! (1981)
Deep Six (1984)
Cyclops (1986)
Treasure (1988)
Dragon (1990)
Sahara (1992)
Inca Gold (1994)
Shock Wave (1996)
Flood Tide (1997)
Atlantis Found (1999)
Valhalla Rising (2001)
Trojan Odyssey (2003)
Black Wind (2004)
Treasure of Khan (2006)
Arctic Drift (2008) -
Crescent Dawn (2010)
Poseidon's Arrow (2012)
Havana Storm (2014)
Odessa Sea (2016) -
Celtic Empire (2018)

Admin
SCU_HQ

RIP Clive Cussler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Clive Cussler   RIP Clive Cussler Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 5:31 pm

Wolf_Soldier64 wrote:

Here`s a list books with Dirk Pitt:

Thank you for providing this complete, chronological list!

I think I'm gonna start hunting them down!

Wolf_Soldier64

RIP Clive Cussler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Clive Cussler   RIP Clive Cussler Icon_minitimeThu Feb 27, 2020 8:36 pm

You're welcome Dave,

The first one I read was Atlantis Found, enjoyed reading it so much, I went looking for the first book lol,

Admin
gibri

RIP Clive Cussler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Clive Cussler   RIP Clive Cussler Icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2020 4:50 am

I've read all the Dirk Pitt books too -- boy's own adventure stories, you bet!

Read a few of the other series too.

He will be missed

Remember the series with the old tramp steamer that was really a state-of-the-art ship with fast motors, armaments and lots of other gadgets disguised as a derelict -- classic stuff!!!

Back to top Go down
gibri
Admin
gibri

RIP Clive Cussler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Clive Cussler   RIP Clive Cussler Icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2020 5:33 am

RIP Clive Cussler Ancient%2520Mariner-001

RIP Clive Cussler Ancient%2520Mariner-002

RIP Clive Cussler Ancient%2520Mariner-003

RIP Clive Cussler Ancient%2520Mariner-004

RIP Clive Cussler Ancient%2520Mariner-005

Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

RIP Clive Cussler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Clive Cussler   RIP Clive Cussler Icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2020 5:53 am

Obviously LeStryge was correct about Cussler stories lending themselves to the Action Man treatment! Nice work, there, Gibri!

Admin
Blondeactionman

RIP Clive Cussler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Clive Cussler   RIP Clive Cussler Icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2020 8:00 am

Great comic Bri! bounce bounce bounce

LeStryge

RIP Clive Cussler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Clive Cussler   RIP Clive Cussler Icon_minitimeFri Feb 28, 2020 9:47 pm

Great figure imbued with exactly the sort of character Cussler created for his stories.
The "memoirs" angle was a really good idea too. A fantastic tribute to the work of a wonderful author and true adventurer.
Well done!

And has been said here before, you can NEVER have too many of those Cotswold pea-coats!
They do look good!

RIP Clive Cussler Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Clive Cussler   RIP Clive Cussler Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RIP Clive Cussler
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: AMMO Commons :: Off Topic-
Jump to: