ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Down with Dagon!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LeStryge
GERMAN STORMTROOPER
LeStryge

Down with Dagon! Empty
PostSubject: Down with Dagon!   Down with Dagon! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2020 11:59 pm

Being a complete sucker for old "ancient history" epics, even biblical ones, I have just re-watched for about the tenth time "Samson and Delilah" with Hedy Lamarr (no that's NOT Hedley!), Victor Mature, and the always sardonic George Sanders. (He actually suicided later on simply because "he was bored"!)
Oh and a VERY uncomfortable looking Angela Lansbury who is absurdly miscast in her role. She's put out of her misery about half way through the movie and you can almost sense her relief!

Now it must be said straight up that it is NO great movie, ....in truth it's not even a good one, (OK so it's really BAD!) but the very last scene where Samson brings down the Temple of Dagon on the Philistines is an absolute ripper combination of model work and overlaying.
I never tire of watching it and each time I see some other bit of clever screen magic that has been incorporated.
You can probably catch that single scene on You-Tube, because I wouldn't recommend sitting through the whole thing but if you are at all interested in how spectacular scenes were done in movies before the advent (and WAY overuse of) CGI, then this is a text book example.

Found it for you on You-Tube....it's sadly very low-def which makes some of the effects look more obvious but will give you the idea.
Do NOT watch the modern remake which is also there but is a lacklustre pale imitation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMTUYJ18jhY

Last edited by LeStryge on Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

Down with Dagon! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down with Dagon!   Down with Dagon! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 1:23 am

Sad end for George Sanders, at an age that is not even considered "old" today. But declining health can have that effect. George Sanders makes almost any scene he's in good, even if the movie is not. He can be so smarmy! So devious! And so charming! Usually all at the same time!

I did not realize he provided the smooth-talking voice of the panther in Disney's The Jungle Book.

There's some decent eye candy in the movie:

Down with Dagon! Lamarr_samson
Hedy Lamarr

Down with Dagon! Angela_samson
The babe from 'Murder, She Wrote' – Yowza!  Shocked

Of course, when you start reading about Hedy Lamarr, you'll find yourself suddenly reading about remote controlled torpedoes... which isn't particularly odd, I suppose; for some reason, torpedoes naturally come to mind when thinking about Hedy Lamarr... and then you'll be reading about George Antheil and player pianos and airplane engines and then you'll invest an inordinate amount of time trying to track down the most complete and authentic recording of Ballet Mécanique...

... or maybe that was just me.

GERMAN STORMTROOPER
LeStryge

Down with Dagon! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down with Dagon!   Down with Dagon! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 3:01 am

Angela Lansbury is NOT at all comfortable in that role, nor wearing that "hoochy-koochie" dancer costume! At one stage she has to ride up in a chariot drawn by horses. You can see she's terrified!

And "Samson and Delilah" remarkable for another reason you forgot to mention .
About half way through the third reel Victor Mature experiments with a second facial expression!
Sadly it was not at all convincing so he returned to his permanent standard one, which somehow managed to avoid termite infestation for so many years.......

George Sanders is probably most well-known, (and best cast) in his roll of Addison DeWitt in "All About Eve" 1950, for which he won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor.
He made dozens and dozens of movies.
He also carries the dubious distinction of having once been married to TWO of the famous Gabor sisters, ....although not at the same time!

Green Beret
somekindajoe

Down with Dagon! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down with Dagon!   Down with Dagon! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 5:28 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:

..Of course, when you start reading about Hedy Lamarr, you'll find yourself suddenly reading about remote controlled torpedoes... which isn't particularly odd, I suppose; for some reason .

lol! lol!

As for Victor Mature, wasn't his favourite anecdote the story about being refused membership to an exclusive club once? 'We don't accept actors as members' they said. His reply was 'Well if you watch any of my movies you'll see I'm no actor!'

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
GERMAN STORMTROOPER
LeStryge

Down with Dagon! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down with Dagon!   Down with Dagon! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2020 8:41 pm

somekindajoe wrote:
His reply was 'Well if you watch any of my movies you'll see I'm no actor!'
Apparently he was no hotshot when it came to bravery either!

During the filming of Samson and Delilah, Mature was frightened by a number of the animals and mechanical props used in the production, including the lions, the wind machine, the swords and even the water.
This infuriated the director, DeMille, who bellowed through his megaphone at the assembled cast and crew:
“I have met a few men in my time. Some have been afraid of heights, some have been afraid of water, some have been afraid of fire, some have been afraid of closed spaces. Some have even been afraid of open spaces -- or themselves. But in all my 35 years of picture-making experience, Mr. Mature, I have not until now met a man who was 100 percent yellow.”

Not exactly a good mind-set for a supposed Action Hero? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Burt Lancaster was the original choice to play Samson, but he declined due to a bad back.
DeMille wanted Steve Reeves who certainly had "The Body", ...well a little too much of it in fact. The director wanted him to tone it down a bit but Reeves was young and new to the industry and refused.

Down with Dagon! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Down with Dagon!   Down with Dagon! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Down with Dagon!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: AMMO Commons :: Off Topic-
Jump to: