ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bizarre Run!

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
LeStryge
GERMAN STORMTROOPER
LeStryge

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2020 9:45 pm

You may have heard this reported in the media, but right now Australia is in the country-wide grip of a massive obsession with buying toilet paper! Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Yes, bizarre I know, and I don't even pretend to understand what it's all about, or why, but people are actually fighting in the supermarket aisles over dwindling stocks!
(I kid you not! Women filmed having slap-ups and wrestling over a few rolls!)

It's apparently in response to the Coronavirus outbreak, but I still don't get it. Question
That particular disease is a respiratory one, so it affects the top end of the human body, certainly not the bottom! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Anyway, the madness continues.
Even stranger is that the particular commodity people are fighting over is made here in Australia, NOT China!
(Well at least something is still manufactured here onshore! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes )

The manufacturers are enjoying the unexpected boom, but surely a sales doldrum will follow because everybody must have a huge stockpile by now?
How do these weird "runs" (no pun intended) start?
And why toilet paper?
If we are asked to remain indoors to try to halt the spread of the virus, surely food items would be of more importance?

The country has gone nuts! Crazy Crazy Crazy

Admin
SCU_HQ

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2020 2:25 am

USA is exhibiting the same "symptoms" of the Coronavirus. Just spoke with a relative still living in Hawaii. There has been a massive run on toilet tissue and bottled water.

Why? I don't know. It used to happen on a regular basis in Hawaii whenever there was a hurricane warning (never had a hurricane in the 16 years I lived there), a tsunami warning, or following an earthquake. People would buy every bottle of water in the stores, then go back and return it all a week later.

Yeah, so much for the aloha spirit.

It got so bad that the big box stores like Costco and Walmart made all sales on tissue and water final, no returns.

Now it's happening again because of a stupid virus that all data indicates is less deadly and has lower rates of transmission than the flu.

But the media, broadcast and print, are doing everything they can to fan the flames of panic and fear.

Bottom line: people are abysmally stupid. And even more selfish than they are stupid.

GERMAN STORMTROOPER
LeStryge

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2020 10:04 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
But the media, broadcast and print, are doing everything they can to fan the flames of panic and fear.
Exactly, and here now with all the bushfires having been extinguished, the media have seized on coronavirus as the new subject for even more exaggerated headlines, stories and "serious" interviews and warnings.

SCU_HQ wrote:
Bottom line: people are abysmally stupid. And even more selfish than they are stupid.
"No one in this world has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the people."
As true today as when it was first written.

Admin
gibri

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2020 11:10 pm

For once I agree with Lebron James who refuses to play to an empty house. And what about the upcoming NCAA tournament? People just going to waste those expensive tickets?
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
GERMAN STORMTROOPER
LeStryge

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2020 11:21 pm

gibri wrote:
For once I agree with Lebron James who refuses to play to an empty house.
"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"
If a game plays to an empty stadium and no one is there to see it does it even count?
I guess it could all be watched on television, but the interaction of the crowd of fans is surely an integral part of the whole spectacle?

Are they going to refund the crowd who have bought tickets?
And what of the talk of cancelling the Tokyo Olympics, ....or will they too play to an empty house?
Olympic Games cost an obscene amount to put on. No bums on seats will send the host country broke!
And why is all the concern just over the audience. Won't the athletes/ball players/footballers/whatever also be at risk of contracting/sharing the virus?

Admin
gibri

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2020 12:24 am

We have 4 confirmed cases in Indiana, only one in the Northern part of the state where we live. Since my wife and I are both in the 'at risk' group, she is maybe overreacting a bit.

Even though last week we were both laughing about the woman who wrapped up about 5 mummy kids with toilet paper as a protest.

But, never fear, Willie is well quarantined and will remain safe...at his age and condition, he is definitely at risk! affraid
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
GERMAN STORMTROOPER
LeStryge

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2020 12:32 am

gibri wrote:
But, never fear, Willie is well quarantined and will remain safe...at his age and condition, he is definitely at risk! affraid
Oh I am glad to hear that!
Why only last week an Australian DOCTOR returned from travelling in the USA and tested positive to Coronavirus!
Between returning and testing he saw about 70 patients.

Wouldn't want to have to isolate Willie for the requisite two weeks! How boring for him!
There's fun to be had!

Hey Brian, when will we be seeing what he's been up to in Indiana in the meantime?
Did you make a 1/6 scale surgical mask for him?
And what about rolls of 1/6 scale toilet tissue for him to amass? lol! lol! lol!

Admin
SCU_HQ

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2020 2:37 am

We live fairly far (an hour and a quarter drive) from major stores and markets, so we usually make the trip only once a week. Last week things seemed more or less normal, other than Vitamin C tablets were completely sold out. I was talking with the checkout clerk about that, and she noted the irony of the vitamin tablets being sold out but there was still plenty of soap on the shelves.

This week... no soap! All the hand soap in Walmart (similar to Tesco in the UK or Woolworth's in Australia) was sold out.

As was... no surprise... toilet tissue! There was plenty of it available last week, but today:

Bizarre Run! Tp1
Bathroom Tissue Aisle at Walmart

Bizarre Run! Tp2
Bathroom Tissue Aisle at a Grocery Supermarket

Now, we operate a vacation rental business, so we need toilet tissue! I finally found three packages, at twice the usual price, at, of all places, a home improvement lumber and hardware store!

Bizarre Run! Tp3
Bathroom Tissue Found at Home Depot

While grumbling to myself in Walmart, I happened across this t-shirt. I rarely purchase shirts with slogans or sayings on them, but for six bucks (USD $6) I couldn't pass this one up:

Bizarre Run! Tp4
A Nice Thought, But It Will Never Happen

And the news media – broadcast, cable, and print – are maniacally and gleefully doing everything they can to instill in the public a sense of fear, panic, and a perception of scarcity.

GERMAN STORMTROOPER
LeStryge

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2020 3:00 am

Well as they say Dave, .."It's an ill wind....etc."!

There's always someone who will profit from any disaster, real or imagined.
Here right now it's hand sanitiser that's seeing major profiteering with huge markups!

Admin
gibri

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2020 3:05 am

Amazing, I heard those stories. I was at the supermarket this morning and didn't notice any empty shelves, but to be honest, I didn't look in that aisle, though I think I might have noticed.
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
GERMAN STORMTROOPER
LeStryge

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2020 12:12 am

I have a Brother-in-Law currently residing in Moscow and have just heard from him that the toilet tissue panic buying craze has just hit there too!  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

GERMAN STORMTROOPER
LeStryge

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 3:02 am

There's always a bright side though.
At least coronavirus has taken Global Warming/Climate Change off the front pages, even if it's only temporarily .
Actually it's even over-shadowed the Democrats Primaries! I'm currently awaiting news of either/both candidates being diagnosed with it.
Whilst American politics has only marginal effect on me, it has rapidly become one of my favourite spectator sports, ....and it's all for FREE!!!

Maybe even Greta Thunberg has finally run her course?  cheers
And on that subject, can anyone please explain to me why supposedly intelligent adults are so eager to unquestioningly take (and applaud!) complex scientific advice from a grumpy 16 year old kid, with a whole raft of fully diagnosed serious mental conditions, who doesn't even go to school?  scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch  scratch  Please?

When I'm in need of serious brain surgery, should I opt for the schizoid failed med-school drop-out as my preferred surgeon? Rolling Eyes

Last edited by LeStryge on Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 3:39 am

Ha! LeStryge commented while I was finishing up this post, addressing some of the same issues! Here's my take:
Bizarre Run! Virusplastic
!!! OMG! OMG! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE !!!

But who cares about the rest of us? ACTOR TOM HANKS HAS THE CORONAVIRUS!

And he picked it up in AUSTRALIA!

What are you lot trying to do to AMERICA'S MOST BELOVED ACTOR, LeStryge?

I guess maybe you just wanted to keep him in your country for another few weeks. Good for you! Go for it! If I had any say in it, I'd send you a bunch more. Who do you want, Johnny Depp? Robert DeNiro? Jamie Lee Curtis?

Okay, so, how about some basic math, people? There are now 115,000 diagnosed cases worldwide... out of a population of OVER 8-BILLION PEOPLE! Statistically, this works out to an infection rate of ZERO!

Got that? ZERO!

Bump those cases up by a factor of ten, you're still at ZERO! Bump it up by 100x, you're still at ZERO! Multiply those cases by a THOUSAND-FOLD and you're approaching one percent infection rate.

And that's the infection rate, not the mortality rate. Statistically, the mortality rate would still be ZERO!

Sure, curtailing international travel from highly infected areas (like CHINA) makes sense (altho' the opposition party here in the States called such measures "racist" while demanding that the current administration "do something"). But closing down major events? Closing schools? And continually PUSHING THE PANIC BUTTON on the 24-hour news channels?

Rolling Eyes

Look, shouldn't everyone be DELIGHTED over this "global pandemic"? Shouldn't everyone be doing everything they can to SPREAD the virus? Because just think about how wonderful a massive die-off among the human race would be for the environment! Save the Earth through Coronavirus! Wipe out 90% of the human race and carbon emissions will be reduced to almost nothing!

Rather than investing in treatments, vaccines, and cures, shouldn't the scientific community, who are so concerned about Climate Change, be researching ways to boost the mortality rate from 1% to 99%? That level of eradication would go a long way toward saving the planet.

I'll add that these last comments are obviously sarcastic and tongue-in-cheek... although my umbrage over the Panic Pandering is not. The intentional spread of panic by governments and media is, the conspiracy theorist in me is beginning to believe, an experimental exercise in worldwide propaganda. They are brainwashing us! They are using our lack of mathematical understanding against us, the mindless masses... who are all falling for it!

Normally rational, skeptical people I know have gone all-in on Coronavirus panic.

Now, I'm not a doctor but... I was an elementary school teacher during a disease outbreak in Hawaii. I was interviewed on television about a Dengue Fever outbreak, so that makes me an epidemiological expert, right? Razz  Well, the experts claimed that Dengue Fever was so contagious that the outbreak would not end until every single resident of Hawaii was infected and either died or survived and developed natural immunity. That's not what happened. Instead, after a few weeks, the disease tapered off and disappeared on its own. Nowhere near "the entire population" was infected. Cases were limited, if I recall correctly, to a few hundred at most out of 2-million people. While the "experts" were issuing dire warnings that a 100% infection was inevitable, I, a lowly special education (kids with learning disabilities) teacher, was telling my terrified 9-year old students, "have you seen a mosquito today? No? What are you gonna do if you see a mosquito? Smack it? Yeah? 'Kay, den!"

(You shoulda seen what we did when the kids all came to school terrified that North Korea was going to shoot a nuclear missile at Hawaii!)

Almost the entire local television news tonight is about the Coronavirus. The entire cable news media is about the Coronavirus... and TOM HANKS! Did I mention, TOM HANKS HAS THE CORONAVIRUS?!?

Tom Hanks? You mean that dude who used to dress up like a girl in that TV show Bosom Buddies back in the early 1980s? Yeah, that dude. It's BIG NEWS, people! You should CARE!

/rant

Rolling Eyes

Admin
SCU_HQ

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 4:00 am

LeStryge wrote:
Maybe even Greta Thunberg has finally run her course?  

Razz I saw a "meme" photo posted on Instagram today featuring Greta holding a sign, the text of which had been edited to express her enthusiasm for 2-stroke engines!

Once somebody has become meme fodder, their relevance and influence are on the decline!

GERMAN STORMTROOPER
LeStryge

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 4:28 am

Loved your girls in plastic!  lol!  lol!  lol!

SCU_HQ wrote:
What are you lot trying to do to AMERICA'S MOST BELOVED ACTOR, LeStryge?
Simply answer? Stop him from making any more goddamn AWFUL movies!
Personally I'll never forgive him for that horrendous "Sleepless in Seattle" or the inane "Forrest Gump"....but then came "Cloud Atlas" that actually made having Coronavirus a FAR preferable option to sitting through it!

SCU_HQ wrote:
I guess maybe you just wanted to keep him in your country for another few weeks. Good for you! Go for it! If I had any say in it, I'd send you a bunch more. Who do you want, Johnny Depp? Robert DeNiro? Jamie Lee Curtis?
NO! None of em!
And you can have Katie Perry back too! (She's currently in full virtue-signalling mode right here in Oz right now!)
Thankfully, ....THANKFULLY Miley Cyrus cancelled out due to fears of the virus. Who said that disease didn't have its GOOD points?

SCU_HQ wrote:
Look, shouldn't everyone be DELIGHTED over this "global pandemic"? Shouldn't everyone be doing everything they can to SPREAD the virus? Because just think about how wonderful a massive die-off among the human race would be for the environment! Save the Earth through Coronavirus! Wipe out 90% of the human race and carbon emissions will be reduced to almost nothing!
My standard answer to all those running around "Chicken-Little-ing" about Climate Change is that world over-population will do you in LONG before Climate Change will!

SCU_HQ wrote:
Normally rational, skeptical people I know have gone all-in on Coronavirus panic.
Maybe it gives 'em something else to do but the canonisation of St Greta?

Seriously I think it's all part of the prevailing mood of this age being pessimism.  People WANT to have and spread fear.
Now look back at the time of WWII. If ever there was a time to be pessimistic, it was then, but the mood was optimism!
You only have to listen to the music of that era and compare it to the wrist-slashing accompaniments of today!
James Blunt anyone? And he's but a single example!

SCU_HQ wrote:
Well, the experts claimed that Dengue Fever was so contagious that the outbreak would not end until every single resident of Hawaii was infected and either died or survived and developed natural immunity. That's not what happened.
It is NOT in the nature of any epidemic or plague to kill EVERYBODY. That would be self-defeating for its own survival.
Even something like the Black Death did not kill everyone. Some people actually recovered from the infection, others seemed to have a natural immunity and never got sick.

(Bizarre side fact probably of interest to no one at all. Feel free to skip over this bit.
About 11 years ago I gave my own brother a bone marrow transplant due to him being diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia. (That's the very worst one you can have.)
Prognosis for his life expectancy? Two weeks at most!
I was subjected to THE most intensive blood tests and screening and now possess an encyclopaedia sized medical report on my own blood.
Seems I carry the incredibly rare genetic cross that would make me immune to HIV! You have to have both parents carry a rare gene. Doesn't protect them at all, but if you inherit the duo together you get the bonus. Neither of my other two brothers got it. Later found that while I was drugged into a semi-coma during the collection process, the lab actually STOLE without my permission a heap of my white blood cells and cultured them for their own research! AND they had the hide to ask for more later on!)

SCU_HQ wrote:
Tom Hanks? You mean that dude who used to dress up like a girl in that TV show Bosom Buddies? Yeah, that dude. It's BIG NEWS, people! You should CARE!

Just a sec until I check the care factor on that.........hmmmmm!
Didn't take long and I don't wish to appear unsympathetic but.....

Bizarre Run! IdiFaS

GERMAN STORMTROOPER
LeStryge

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 4:35 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
Once somebody has become meme fodder, their relevance and influence are on the decline!

Bizarre Run! IjGUcH

Admin
gibri

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 4:39 am

The NBA cancelled the rest of the season, affraid affraid affraid which I assume includes the playoffs that extend well into June. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Which I think may lead to the cancellation of the NCAA Tournament...

OMG am I the only one who thinks this is a bit extreme?

scratch scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 5:01 am

gibri wrote:
The NBA cancelled the rest of the season, which I assume includes the playoffs that extend well into June.

Because one player in the entire league (on the Utah Jazz, as luck would have it) tested positive for Coronavirus.

Yes, a bit extreme!

That "Greta meme" is as hilarious as it is tragic. Too bad that one isn't getting more circulation.

GERMAN STORMTROOPER
LeStryge

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 5:16 am

gibri wrote:
The NBA cancelled the rest of the season,  affraid  affraid  affraid  which I assume includes the playoffs that extend well into June. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Which I think may lead to the cancellation of the NCAA Tournament...

scratch scratch scratch
Well Brian, ....and if you'll forgive me for not exactly being engrossed by a game that is played only by 7 foot genetic freaks wearing baggy bloomers, and consisting of little more than striding from one end of a very small court to the other, and should in my opinion be started at a score of 100 and played for no longer than five minutes, since you ask, YES, I do think it's more than a bit "extreme"!

Here it's even more bizarre.
No crowd allowed in the stands because the close proximity of bodies just seated together might allow the virus to spread but whole teams and umpires can turn up from wherever and play each other very close bodily contact sports with crash-tackling, saliva spraying about and the single ball going from hand to hand but that's all OK ????

For you Dave
Bizarre Run! OZY7tJ

GERMAN STORMTROOPER
LeStryge

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 6:11 am

I know....I know! ENOUGH with the Greta already, but I thought this one was priceless!

I have wondered that should she live to say 60 or so and none of the stuff she's predicting now has happened, will she go into hiding?
(Notice also the "interesting" European Union Flag?)

Bizarre Run! DOhZ5C

Admin
SCU_HQ

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 6:27 am

LeStryge wrote:

I have wondered that should she live to say 60 or so and none of the stuff she's predicting now has happened....

Sixty? The world is going to end in 12 years! Which might be 11 or even 10 years at this point, I've lost track of when they began repeating that number. Greta won't even make it to 30, let alone 60.

Unless Coronavirus kills off enough of us to reverse global warming. Altho' seven and a half billion rotting corpses will generate a lot of heat and release a lot of gas in to the atmosphere, at least short-term.

GERMAN STORMTROOPER
LeStryge

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 9:12 pm

On December 13 & 14, 2009, professor, prophet, and soothsayer AL GORE predicted the North Polar Ice Cap could be completely ice free within the next five to seven years.
Gore made his prediction at COP15 Copenhagen which ran from Dec 7 – Dec 18, 2009, where he repeatedly referenced “state-of-the-art” computer modeling to suggest that the north polar ice cap may lose all of its ice by 2014.
It's now 2020 and by all reports the North Pole icecap is still in existence, and shows no signs of disappearing.
In actual fact it's behaving exactly as per normal.

Through the month of February, sea ice grew by an average of 22,100 square kilometers (8,500 square miles) per day, fairly close to the average rate over the 1981 to 2010 period of 20,200 square kilometers (7,800 square miles) per day.

Admin
SCU_HQ

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 9:19 pm

LeStryge wrote:

Through the month of February, sea ice grew by an average of 22,100 square kilometers (8,500 square miles) per day, fairly close to the average rate over the 1981 to 2010 period of 20,200 square kilometers (7,800 square miles) per day.

"Fairly close to the average" is a clever way to avoid admitting that sea ice coverage is growing "ten percent more than the average."
Razz

You can bet that if the ice growth had been ten percent less than average, we would have heard a lot more about it!

GERMAN STORMTROOPER
LeStryge

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2020 10:38 pm

Today the Australian Government in its wisdom banned all public gatherings (sports events/music festivals/theatres/car races etc.) of more than 500 people.
So I guess if you only have a crowd of 499 everyone is safe and no one will get infected, but let that swell to even so much as 501 and the "pandemic" will be unleashed! Rolling Eyes
It all comes down to a very responsible person on the door doing a head-count! One little slip up and The Apocalypse will occur! What a Face What a Face What a Face

The games themselves are still going ahead, but "behind closed doors" as it is expressed.
And it still doesn't explain why sitting next to another attendee in the stands, all fully clothed, (wearing a mask even) is more likely to spread the contagion than crash-tackling somebody wearing just sports gear out on the field with the inevitable exchange of bodily fluids? These are high-contact sports!
Don't they care about the players? Question Question scratch

Admin
SCU_HQ

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2020 11:17 pm

LeStryge wrote:

Don't they care about the players? Question Question scratch

Here in 'Murica they've shut down many of the major sports franchises.

But it's like a girl said to us when we were visiting Australia some years back: "What's the deal with your American football and the players wearing all those pads? Don't you have any real men in America?"

I've been laughing about that ever since. She's right. lol!

At least... in some states... for now... we can still drink beer and own guns.

But your professional sports teams can still play.

Everything is a trade-off, I guess.

GO 'PIES!

Bizarre Run! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Run!   Bizarre Run! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bizarre Run!
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: AMMO Commons :: Off Topic-
Jump to: