ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Insulation Foam Walls

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

Insulation Foam Walls Empty
PostSubject: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2020 4:06 pm

I'm trying to make "stone" walls out of insulation foam, similar to what BlondeActionMan has created for his Dinosaur Valley stories.

Insulation Foam Walls Wallproject1
Tools of the Trade

Insulation Foam Walls Wallproject2
Sketching out the Details

Insulation Foam Walls Wallproject3
Checking for Scale

Insulation Foam Walls Wallproject4
Looking... okay. Not as clean as BlondeActionMan's carving, but it's coming along.

Insulation Foam Walls Wallproject5
Floor Detail

More later....

Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2020 4:11 pm

Nice work Dave! cheers cheers cheers Those walls and floors are coming along a treat! the deeper you go in with the pencil, the more pronounced the detailing will become, however, I am liking the clean lines you have achieved here bounce bounce bounce Looking forward to seeing more!

French Resistance
Rogue-Trooper

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2020 4:52 pm

A great start....I love a tutorial cheers

I BLAME DAL lol!

Chris
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2020 5:08 pm

Rogue-Trooper wrote:
A great start....I love a tutorial.

Thanks! More "tutorial type" photos later. Pressed for time at the moment, these were just a few quick shots.

Russian Infantry
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2020 8:20 pm

That looks quite an impressive wall you have planned there Dave!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
gibri
Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2020 11:52 pm

Beautiful work there, Dave!!!

Thanks for sharing all the tips and pics!

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2020 3:59 pm

Blondeactionman wrote:
Those walls and floors are coming along a treat! the deeper you go in with the pencil, the more pronounced the detailing will become, however, I am liking the clean lines you have achieved here.

My lines are not nearly as clean as are yours, which initially had me frustrated. Then I decided that, oh well, the roughness looks kind of like broken mortar. Or so I'm telling myself, anyway.

I also discovered through trial and error... meaning error... the fairly obvious fact that if you carve too deeply or press too firmly the insulation board cracks. It's only 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) thick to being with.

I don't think this is exactly the same material that you use. The material I found is still not quite as dense as your foam, nor is the yellow colour as pronounced.

Last edited by SCU_HQ on Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Blondeactionman
Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2020 4:09 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
Blondeactionman wrote:
Those walls and floors are coming along a treat! the deeper you go in with the pencil, the more pronounced the detailing will become, however, I am liking the clean lines you have achieved here.

My lines are not nearly as clean as are yours, which initially had me frustrated. Then I decided that, oh well, the roughness looks kind of like broken mortar. Or so I'm telling myself, anyway.

I also discovered through trial and error... meaning error... the fairly obvious fact that if you carve too deeply or press too firmly the insulation board cracks. It's only 1/2 inch (1/25 cm) thick to being with.

I don't think this is exactly the same material that you use. The material I found is still not quite as dense as your foam, nor is the yellow colour as pronounced.

You could be right Dave, the board I use is about an inch and half thick, but I do agree, the unevenness of the lines does make for better realism, mine are not exactly perfect and I think its is that, that adds to the charm of them. I mean if you look at old castle walls, they don't exactly follow conventional building codes do they! lol! Keep at it Dave, you will surprised at how good they look once in a dio cheers

French Resistance
Rogue-Trooper

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2020 4:29 pm

Next comes the painting.....which is gonna be fun lol! I assume it will need some sort of primer first ??

I BLAME DAL lol!

Chris
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Green Beret
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2020 10:18 pm

Nice drafting there!
If your insulation board is the same composition as ours here I'm pretty sure you cannot use any paint that's turpentine/oil based as it will dissolve the board.
It has to be acrylic/plastic.
I like to put a lighter coat on first and when it's fully dry, mix up a quite watery dark brown or black and let it flow into all the cracks/grooves for an aged look.
This brings out the detail.
Just some thoughts.

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 12:43 am

Blondeactionman wrote:

You could be right Dave, the board I use is about an inch and half thick...

I was thinking your walls were not that thick. I believe they had a thicker version of the panels at the hardware store. I shall look again the next time I am there. I could also glue two layers together to achieve additional strength and rigidity.

I carved patterns on both sides of the sheet, which further weakened it.

Rogue-Trooper wrote:
Next comes the painting.....I assume it will need some sort of primer first ??

I have used spray paint on styrofoam before. The paint usually dissolves the foam, so the initial coats must be sprayed on very lightly. In this case, I am trying something different. I have coated the foam boards with a product marketed here as Mod Podge, which is basically a heavy white glue used for decoupage craft projects. The glue dries mostly clear. I am hoping that it will add strength to the board and provide a paint-resistant base coat if I decide to paint these walls.

BAM leaves his carved foam walls unpainted and they look good.

LeStryge wrote:
Nice drafting there!
If your insulation board is the same composition as ours here I'm pretty sure you cannot use any paint that's turpentine/oil based as it will dissolve the board.
It has to be acrylic/plastic.
I like to put a lighter coat on first and when it's fully dry, mix up a quite watery dark brown or black and let it flow into all the cracks/grooves for an aged look.
This brings out the detail.
Just some thoughts.

Thanks for the tips. Your approach for accentuating the cracks and grooves sounds effective, practical, and not overly time-consuming. I'm never sure whether the cracks should be lighter or darker in color. Usually, mortar is lighter than the stones or bricks. But in aged structures, the mortar lines become dark with years of soot, grime, and moss.

You are correct, the "easy" paints to use (ie spray paint) quickly dissolve styrofoam and insulation foam materials. I have found they can be used if the initial coats are very light, but even then, some surface damage occurs. If the finish is meant to appear old and weathered, this is often not a problem. But even going a little bit too heavy with the spray creates "melt holes."

As I mentioned above, I am brushing on a thin white glue primer coat before painting. I don't know if it will work, but it will be interesting to find out.

I still have not decided whether to paint this scene or not. And if I chose to paint, should I go with browns and tans to work with the existing color of the board, or with greys and darker colors to appear more "stone like?" I am leaning toward unpainted or browns and tans to more closely emulate (meaning: blatantly and unapologetically copy) BAM's Dinosaur Valley structures.

Thank you for all the input, gents! Much appreciated!

Green Beret
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 1:30 am

I always "weather" just about anything I make so that it doesn't look too new or like a freshly built film set.

Comes from years of putting together and painting small HO scale buildings for a dear friend's railway layout. Often they were the same kit but had to be made to look different.
I also weathered all his rolling stock and locomotives.
(This involved a lot of research to learn where steam jets, oil nipples, hand rails etc. where to add the appropriate ageing effect. I was not initially a railway buff.)
After a while it becomes a habit and anything that hasn't been done looks odd.

Were I to lash out and buy one of those wonderful jeeps you have, I don't think I could walk past it on the shelf without itching to dirty it up convincingly. lol! lol! lol!

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 1:56 am

LeStryge wrote:
I always "weather" just about anything I make so that it doesn't look too new or like a freshly built film set.
. . .
Were I to lash out and buy one of those wonderful jeeps you have, I don't think I could walk past it on the shelf without itching to dirty it up convincingly.

I weather things because I don't have the necessary skills to construct projects that look new! Embarassed

I don't know if I can say this enthusiastically when shipping costs to Australia are factored in, but overall, I think the 21st Century Ultimate Soldier Jeep is worth the inflated secondary market price. The photos I posted do not even include the machine-gun with ammo box, the radio, and the side doors, nor do the photos offer a good view of the folding canvas top. There's also a side mirror that is broken off, which I have not yet glued back in place.

I happened to glance at the Jeep just yesterday, and what caught my eye was how good it looks with mud on the tires. I did not clean it after my photo-shoot out in the mud and snow. And I'm not going to.

I have read that the reason noted action figure photographer of Marwencol fame, Mark Hogancamp, pulled his miniature Jeep around behind him on a string (one of the iconic images of Hogancamp) is not that he was an eccentric, but rather, he wanted realistic wear and tear on the tires. He actually figured out, through experimentation, how far he needed to pull the Jeep along asphalt and gravel roads to achieve the amount of believable wear to the tire treads that he wanted.

I probably would have used sandpaper and paint, but you can't argue with his results!

Last edited by SCU_HQ on Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Green Beret
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 2:33 am

I do think I will eventually buy one of those jeeps because they do look so good!

1/6 is a LARGE scale, thus vehicles and the like tend to be expensive....well the good ones are anyway.
As I think I've mentioned before I do own a genuine MAM-issue jeep, (local eBay find) and while it's a sturdy model well able to stand up to kid's play, a very realistic representation it is not, specially when compared to the 21st Century Ultimate Soldier version.

I still own a whole set of weathering paints that come in colours like "rust", "oil-stain", "dust" etc. and they are really great for working on models.
They do tend to be permanent though so you need to experiment on something cheap if you are new to the process.
A small air-brush can also be useful, though not essential.

Besides, when did anyone ever see a jeep that was pristine-clean?

Working on insulfoam "stonework" as you are, you can really let yourself go.
As long as you don't dissolve the board, any effect you don't like can easily be painted over.

I also like applying the first coat with two fairly close colours at the same time using either a brush or a small natural sponge, sort of blending them together, but not too much.
Then when that's completely dry, choose a darker colour to paint the whole thing over and while it's still wet, wipe off the excess with a damp rag or sponge. This will remove it from all the high points but leave it in the cracks, thereby bringing out the detail.
You can choose to wipe as much off or as little as you like to get the effect you want.
Dry brush on a little dark green for moss in parts and voila!
Old castle wall!!! cheers
Get really arty and add a few darker drips where water would naturally run down from any projecting architectural features and you're an expert! cheers cheers cheers

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 6:25 am

LeStryge wrote:

Then when that's completely dry, choose a darker colour to paint the whole thing over and while it's still wet, wipe off the excess with a damp rag or sponge. This will remove it from all the high points but leave it in the cracks, thereby bringing out the detail.
You can choose to wipe as much off or as little as you like to get the effect you want.
Dry brush on a little dark green for moss in parts and voila!
Old castle wall!!!
Get really arty and add a few darker drips where water would naturally run down from any projecting architectural features and you're an expert!

Excellent ideas, all! Thank you!

Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 4:40 pm

When I painted my walls before, i used a grey primer paint from a tin, as aerosol paints will eat through them! Shocked . Having used the grey pot primer, I was then able to spray the walls without incident. In the past I have sealed the walls using pva glue (wood glue) mixed with poster paint. I used a bright colour for this as it shows what areas you have done Very Happy . Then again, once dry I sprayed them. Hope it helps Dave

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 4:58 pm

Blondeactionman wrote:
When I painted my walls before, i used a grey primer paint from a tin, as aerosol paints will eat through them! Shocked . Having used the grey pot primer, I was then able to spray the walls without incident. In the past I have sealed the walls using pva glue (wood glue) mixed with poster paint. I used a bright colour for this as it shows what areas you have done Very Happy . Then again, once dry I sprayed them. Hope it helps Dave

More excellent painting ideas! Thank you!

Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 5:05 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
Blondeactionman wrote:

bounce bounce bounce Happy to help Dave!

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 5:23 pm

Blondeactionman wrote:
SCU_HQ wrote:
Blondeactionman wrote:

bounce bounce bounce  Happy to help Dave!

I am very curious to know what new sets you are planning and constructing for the next Dinosaur Valley installment. Any chance you could share a work-in-progress sneak peek?

Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2020 5:24 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
Blondeactionman wrote:
SCU_HQ wrote:
Blondeactionman wrote:

bounce bounce bounce  Happy to help Dave!

I am very curious to know what new sets you are planning and constructing for the next Dinosaur Valley installment. Any chance you could share a work-in-progress sneak peek?

Funny you should say that Dave, I have just finished carving some new pieces, I will do some pics for tomorrow bounce bounce

Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 4:12 pm

As promised Dave, a few pics of the set pieces I have been working on for the story I am working on.

Insulation Foam Walls 49675977693_49ca1a7c82_cBehind the scenes 001 by Blonde Actionman, on Flickr
Insulation Foam Walls 49676518086_ecb7524f60_cBehind the scenes 002 by Blonde Actionman, on Flickr
Insulation Foam Walls 49676800067_9227c57214_cBehind the scenes 003 by Blonde Actionman, on Flickr
Insulation Foam Walls 49676797292_08a209302d_cbehind the scenes 004 by Blonde Actionman, on Flickr

Prof Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 6:43 pm

These are all wall-tastic Dal.

French Resistance
Rogue-Trooper

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 7:17 pm

Outstanding work Dal cheers cheers

I BLAME DAL lol!

Chris
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2020 9:30 pm

What spectacular "ruins." I have been hoping that you would share some of your "foam-carving" work in this topic!

I particularly like the columns with the runes and hieroglyphs - very cool!

I am also intrigued by the close-up pic of the stairs. I've been thinking that carved stone steps would look good. Now I see that they do, indeed, and in this photo I can get a better idea of how you constructed and shaped them.

The various broken bits will definitely enhance the eerie and mysterious mood of your Lost World.

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2020 2:22 am

I've been making a couple of gates out of metal wire to go with my carved foam wall project:

Insulation Foam Walls Wallproject_gate

Sure, you could use nice, clean wire and then paint on a rusted finish afterward; or, you can start out with rusty, dirty metal wire. The tetanus danger adds to the excitement of what is a tedious project.

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Insulation Foam Walls
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: Dioramas & Models :: 1/6 Scale Dioramas & Models-
Jump to: