ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Insulation Foam Walls

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Kimono Troop Command
Ski Patrol
Kimono Troop Command

Insulation Foam Walls - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2020 3:26 pm

Great work on those walls, Dave.
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2020 3:35 pm

Kimono Troop Command wrote:
Great work on those walls, Dave.

Thanks! Prior to this, I had only used styrofoam inserts from packing boxes for my projects. BlondeActionMan suggested insulation foam from the hardware store. The foam is more dense than the packing material type, so it carves or takes impressions better and is less crumbly and messy to work with. The insulation foam also is more resistant to spray paint, so it doesn't dissolve as much when being painted.

The insulation foam often has a reflective paper on the surface that needs to be peeled off, which is a bit of a nuisance.

Ski Patrol
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2020 3:48 pm

Oh, I've used the stuff to make scenery for model railroads and miniature war gaming tables, so I'm familiar with its properties. I just have to get my act together enough to go get some and start building dioramas with the stuff.
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2020 7:29 pm

Walls look superb Dave! cheers

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 5:19 pm

This image illustrates the effect that aerosol spray paint has on different varieties of foam material:

Insulation Foam Walls - Page 3 50549462332_f9e75f5818_c

The side walls are a heavy, dense insulation foam, the pink or purple type. It is largely resistant to extremely light coats of aerosol spray paint.

The "brick" portion of the back wall is yellow insulation foam, the type that has a metallic foil covering that must be peeled off. This foam is not as dense as the pink type, and reacts a bit more with the paint. Also, peeling off the foil layer leaves some pits and divots, which are then susceptible to damage from the paint.

The door section is plain white packing foam. This type of lightweight foam dissolves quite readily when using aerosol spray paints. Even the lightest of applications will cause some "melt" type damage.

Action Soldier
RealSarahdactyl

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 6:40 pm

It looks great Dave, almost kind of sci fi like something from Dredd with that textured piece!
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Green Beret
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 10:10 pm

Of course for some projects the "eroded" look is great, but you can now buy acrylic paint in spray cans for a preliminary coat, ...(it usually comes in only black or white and matte or gloss) but after an application of that you can then use any colour enamel without any dissolving.

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 11:10 pm

LeStryge wrote:
Of course for some projects the "eroded" look is great, but you can now buy acrylic paint in spray cans for a preliminary coat, ...(it usually comes in only black or white and matte or gloss) but after an application of that you can then use any colour enamel without any dissolving.

I will have to look for that. I wonder if the aerosol propellant or solvent would still affect the foam?

Ski Patrol
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 11:17 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
LeStryge wrote:

I will have to look for that. I wonder if the aerosol propellant or solvent would still affect the foam?

I've used Tamiya acrylic spray on white packing styrofoam...the tightly beaded sort with no ill effects whatsoever. I've never tried it on insulating foam however, but my guess is that it will not be affected.
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Green Beret
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 11:41 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:

I wonder if the aerosol propellant or solvent would still affect the foam?
Doesn't seem to affect it at all.
P.S. Also works very well on "Barbie" vehicles and accessories! Get's rid of that nauseous pink!
Normal enamel spray paint will NEVER dry!

PostSubject: Re: Insulation Foam Walls   Insulation Foam Walls - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Insulation Foam Walls
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: Dioramas & Models :: 1/6 Scale Dioramas & Models-
Jump to: