ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges!   It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2021 1:27 am

So you have fired it! Shocked

Where's the video clip?

There is very little sense of scale in these images. How large is this thing?

Do you believe it was made as a decorative piece, or is it possibly an actual old gun?

Green Beret
LeStryge

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges!   It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2021 3:17 am

Chip wrote:
That`s fascinating Barry , and I like how you restored it .
Many thanks Mark!
My guests get a kick out of it too!
Seems not many blokes have their own working cannons.

Testing was quite an adventure as we were unsure of the metal's stability due to its unspecified age/condition.
All done with quite small charges and carried out under the full protection of borrowed flak blankets.
Pays to have friends in the services!

Green Beret
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges!   It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2021 3:27 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
Do you believe it was made as a decorative piece, or is it possibly an actual old gun?
Have no idea at all of the age, but it definitely works. After I had it fully inspected, we tested it under safe conditions out on a rifle range.
Didn't want any disastrous cannon malfunctions to occur.

The cannon itself is a bit under three feet long, which I thought was a bit small for it to be a working gun, but I found out that many of the guns that were mounted on the handrails of old sailing vessels were exactly that size. Perhaps this one was meant for the handrails, but I prefer it now to sit on the carriage I made for it.
Of course I can't fire real balls anymore here in town, but I will from time to time try to do some of those pretty impressive "flash, boom, smoke" shots for guests.

Might have a "pirate" party for my birthday?

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 HNcWs0

Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges!   It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2021 5:25 am

Nice cannon, Barry, and great work building and distressing the new platform.

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
Ski Patrol
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges!   It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2021 5:48 am

LeStryge wrote:
SCU_HQ wrote:
Have no idea at all of the age, but it definitely works. After I had it fully inspected, we tested it under safe conditions out on a rifle range.
Didn't want any disastrous cannon malfunctions to occur.

The cannon itself is a bit under three feet long, which I thought was a bit small for it to be a working gun, but I found out that many of the guns that were mounted on the handrails of old sailing vessels were exactly that size. Perhaps this one was meant for the handrails, but I prefer it now to sit on the carriage I made for it.
Of course I can't fire real balls anymore here in town, but I will from time to time try to do some of those pretty impressive "flash, boom, smoke" shots for guests.

Might have a "pirate" party for my birthday?

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 HNcWs0

The guns mounted on the gunwales (gunnels) of ships are called "swivel guns" and were mounted primarily as anti-personnel guns and deck sweepers on ships up to frigate size. On very small ships or some small merchantmen, they might be the only armament.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=swivel+gun&client=firefox-b-e&sxsrf=ALeKk02edTWbG9MtYf_eEdh3m3l7DUnzNw:1611726734793&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=PwnUfyDs7qYkPM%252CHGze0dfw6az94M%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTB2i6nOpRt3oSwAS2wZ8AQ3jnt6w&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjEiYL8tbvuAhUyRTABHbyQBJUQ_h16BAgaEAE#imgrc=HM3Bt23T0MBhaM

Three foot long barrels were not unusual on some times of light or "regimental" artillery which were light guns that were sometimes integral to infantry battalions in the 17th, 18th and even the early 19th centuries.  The idea was to provide the battalion or regiment with a little extra firepower and usually fired shot from 2-4lbs.  3pdrs were not uncommon.  The barrel on yours bears resemblance to a 16th or 17th C design, though the trunnions are of too small a diameter for anything other than perhaps a swivel gun, and even then, I've never seen any that small in relation to the barrel.

All real guns of that era normally had a seal on top of the barrel that would indicate the country of manufacture, possibly the arsenal,  and usually who was King at the time if cast in a country with a monarchy.
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Green Beret
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges!   It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2021 6:35 am

Odd that you should mention the trunnions. They looked small to me too and upon closer inspection showed signs of having been cut/filed back at some later stage. 
I have since provided larger reinforcements on the carriage just in case and re-aged the filing marks which looked raw.
The piece was bought from a gun store owner. 
He had a few historical pieces as display in his store and said this one came from a collection he bought at a deceased estate auction.
Apart from that he knew little else regarding its provenance.
It's very heavy and certainly solidly cast. 
I did at first suspect it might have been a movie prop ( the seller assured me it was not) and closer investigation, and then testing proved it was quite capable of being fired.
A fake would have just blown apart.

Ski Patrol
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges!   It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2021 10:07 am

LeStryge wrote:
Odd that you should mention the trunnions. They looked small to me too and upon closer inspection showed signs of having been cut/filed back at some later stage. 
I have since provided larger reinforcements on the carriage just in case and re-aged the filing marks which looked raw.
The piece was bought from a gun store owner. 
He had a few historical pieces as display in his store and said this one came from a collection he bought at a deceased estate auction.
Apart from that he knew little else regarding its provenance.
It's very heavy and certainly solidly cast. 
I did at first suspect it might have been a movie prop ( the seller assured me it was not) and closer investigation, and then testing proved it was quite capable of being fired.
A fake would have just blown apart.

My opinion is that it is neither a movie prop nor a historical original, but most likely something of 20th C manufacture built to resemble old guns and probably built with the intention of firing blank rounds. Note: This is an educated guess, not a definitive statement. I say this because it does not match any historical prototype I've seen, but bears a mish-mash of design features generally not seen on barrels that are less than 350-400 years old.

Any European-built gun should have a royal seal on the barrel that would in my limited experience likely include the year the barrel was cast and the monarch's monogram.
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Green Beret
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges!   It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2021 1:42 am

I suspect that you are probably correct in all you say Gary, ....and a movie prop would hardly be cast in such expensive heavy metal.
In truth though it matters little.

It was never represented to me as some priceless museum piece, and I didn't pay a price anywhere near commensurate with it being genuine 16/17/18th century or whatever.
In truth I would have still bought it had it been just made of fibreglass as at that stage I was simply looking for a "pirate" type cannon to DISPLAY alongside a box that I have that is in the iconic form of a treasure chest.
The idea of actually firing the thing never even crossed my mind. 

That wild scheme came about after I had a few military/ex military blokes over for drinks and after a few Mai Tais they started gathering around the cannon and getting all excited about trying it out, and what would be the best way to go about it.
I was very reluctant because I could envisage my beautiful display piece on which I had worked on so hard just blown up and disintegrating into a useless heap of smoldering shrapnel.

I took some convincing because although I have fired several types of firearms, I'd never actually fired any cannon....(well there was that one time as teens we made a PVC pipe cannon that fired oranges, powered by ignited deodorant spray but that's an entirely different story.  Rolling Eyes)

I eventually relented and thankfully under the direction (and ordnance) of those same military blokes, (who by that stage were all carrying on like big kids), all went well and I still have the piece.

Now that I live in town I think the local constabulary might take a dim view if I started taking pot shots with a cannon (however small) off my balcony at the neighboring houses. 
Please don't think that I haven't been tempted at times, but have so far managed to restrain myself.
Firing blanks produces quite the spectacular show so that's all that may take place now from time to time, largely depending on the degree of.....lubrication?  drunken

Ski Patrol
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges!   It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2021 3:42 am

Yeah movie-prop cannon barrels were traditionally cast from resin and fired with a little bit of flash powder to make a puff of smoke...at least until American Civil War re-enactors got into the act with their fully functional firing replica guns. There's no comparing the two when they "fire." Your barrel furthermore has a lot of cosmetic detail that quickly disappeared from western artillery as well as exaggerated reinforce rings and muzzle swell, all of which grew smaller over time. So my suspicion is tht this was cast to be marketed as a "pirate" cannon for enthusiasts of that sort of thing. It was probably not made in anything like large numbers.

Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Green Beret
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges!   It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2021 6:05 am

I have seen the recovered and restored cannon that were jettisoned to lighten Capt. Cook's ship "HMB Endeavour" 10th June 1770, when it struck the Great Barrier Reef. In something of a masterly effort, Cook managed to disengage his ship from the coral, and careen it for repairs on the nearest beach.

The cannon are very simple in design with no ornamental detailing, apart from a small plaque right above the trunnions containing codes used by Royal British Armorers documenting not only repairs and alterations made to the cannon over time but also where this work was carried out.
Apart from a few reinforcing bands, that's it. Assuming they are typical of what ordinary 18th century British ships were armed with, they are indeed very simple.
The gun carriage here is of course a museum replica for display purposes.

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 8PgX87

I suspect movie cannon are even more cheaply made (if indeed they are actually there at all!) now that CGI can provide the effect of being fired.
I purchased the TV series "Black Sails" and have to say the CGI recreations of the ships etc. was masterful.

Ski Patrol
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges!   It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2021 6:33 am

The gun should also have a royal seal bearing the cypher-monogram monarch when it was cast. Given the longevity of these guns it could be George II or George III and usually, though not always, the year in which it was cast. I've occasionally seen this on the trunnions instead.

The guns are extremely simple, especially before flintlock ignition systems were added (on naval guns only) but there are certain safety protocols involved in loading and firing black-powder muzzle-loaders like these that were involved back then and are still respected by enthusiasts and re-enactors today. (swabbing down the barrel between shots, thumbing the vent while swabbing and loading). Despite all these precautions, Parks Canada, which is the sole authority with the power to allow these things to be fired at historic sites will not allow an individual gun to be fired more than once every twenty minutes, which is a real buzz-kill. We are not forced to observe this rule when firing them in the parking lot of the armoury however.
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Green Beret
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges!   It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2021 4:46 am

Rather goes against the historic efforts to achieve very rapid reload and fire during battle doesn't it!

Ski Patrol
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges!   It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2021 4:56 am

Parks Canada doesn't really care about that, unfortunately.The Royal Navy standard for broadside firing in the days of fighting sale was two shots every three minutes, and it was much harder to load a naval gun with on a ship than a field gun. This being said, since field guns required more careful aiming, the maximum rate of fire could not have been all that different.
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Green Beret
LeStryge

PostSubject: GETTING A LITTLE HEAD IN THE BAR!   It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 12:44 am

Okay, so it's not 1/6 scale, but it is a "miniature" of sorts.
Here's my Shrunken Head that I've put together to hang in my Tiki Bar.

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Kvmrmt

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges!   It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 1:38 am

That shrunken head is awesome!

You... put it together? Who was the donor?

Green Beret
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges!   It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2021 2:49 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
You... put it together? Who was the donor?
No trouble finding heads these days Dave. People are losing them just about everywhere!

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Z8l20L

Green Beret
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges!   It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2021 4:56 am

Thought I might document my shelves where I keep a few of my 1/6 scale figures when they are not being photographed, along with many of my collection of Tiki mugs and special bowls used for serving cocktails, along with quite a few items from my collection of artifacts collected during my travels around the Pacific.
Hopefully some of this may be of some interest to somebody.

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 1e7A3i

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 7Xgew9

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 XbCLqV

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 34dE1X

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 SYa4Tq

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Mzpn7R

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 5ddjBM

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 MzzhbT

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 A9roAt

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 ICJLjV

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Z8Pblm

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 L1BCWp

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 OaVc61

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 2TjF1o

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 C7J6V9

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 WsdrN2

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 2PzVcB

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 XQxJus

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 UspkkD

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 TxyEq4

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 PMugkt

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 WANplz

Blondeactionman likes this post

Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges!   It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2021 6:40 am

From kooky to cool to utterly cute; your collection runs the gamut from classy to corny!

It's late at night, I'm half asleep! I'll be back tomorrow to comment in more depth! There's a treasure trove here that merits considerable commentary... and lots of questions!

Green Beret
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges!   It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2021 6:59 am

Well I'd be the first to admit that it's a very diverse collection for sure!
Tiki is always a bit kitsch so there's more than a little of that, but some of the pieces are quite special, and the bowls and mugs are in use.  

I did find a use for some old detached Barbie legs I had lying around. 
You might notice them being re-purposed as swizzle sticks in my shark mugs.
A little black humour never goes astray.

PostSubject: Re: It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges!   It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It's TIKI TIME! Let's See Those Home Tiki Bars, Rooms, and Lounges!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: AMMO Commons :: Off Topic-
Jump to: