ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wicked Waraji Wrangling!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LeStryge
Russian Infantry
LeStryge

Wicked Waraji Wrangling! Empty
PostSubject: Wicked Waraji Wrangling!   Wicked Waraji Wrangling! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 6:05 am

Might I just say that you have never lived until you have tried to tie 1/6 scale Japanese straw sandals (waraji) onto your figures tiny feet!
They are well made, but come with NO instructions. Just a woven sole and two very long attached bits of straw for the lacing.

Had to do a quick internet tutorial of course but with my big fingers and the tiny little loops, getting the criss-crossing in the right order and then in the reverse on the other foot ( hey, I couldn't even remember how I did the first one!) was quite the task!
Even now I'm sure some Japanese aficionado will point out some glaring error I've made!
My Hint: Wet the damn things first! So much easier to shape.

Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Waraji Wrangling!   Wicked Waraji Wrangling! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 7:55 am

Thanks for the tip Barry Very Happy

inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Waraji Wrangling!   Wicked Waraji Wrangling! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 3:07 pm

Great tip! Very Happy

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Waraji Wrangling!   Wicked Waraji Wrangling! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 4:04 pm

Pics or it's not real! Wink

Russian Infantry
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Waraji Wrangling!   Wicked Waraji Wrangling! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2020 12:27 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
Pics or it's not real! Wink
If I DO put up a pic, I'm really leaving myself open for someone to say "Oh you really messed that up....the first cross goes OVER the ankle".......or somesuch! lol!

This is what you get. My pair were not even threaded through those tiny loops as shown in the pic.
Important to note: What looks like it should be the toe is actually the heel.

Wicked Waraji Wrangling! 8T3w7h

And THIS is what they are supposed to look like when they are being worn. 
Now that doesn't look too hard now does it?  Rolling Eyes
I learned that in Japan these things are made in ONE size only, and it's OK  for your feet to hang over as in the pic below. How samurai managed to walk over terrain in these things is beyond me, let alone fight! Their socks (tabi)must have been permanently wet.
The waraji seem to protect the heel, but leave the toes bare and all too readily stubbed!

It's NOT straight out lacing like western shoes, ...there are loops to be pulled back through and then threaded back on itself.....madness!
The pic shows a life-size example, so please remember the 1/6 scale things are very tiny and the grass/straw/whatever they are woven from is most reluctant to sit where you want it.
Anyway, my samurai is now authentically shod, ....if not authentically tied! Rolling Eyes

Wicked Waraji Wrangling! D8hLGH

Last edited by LeStryge on Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Waraji Wrangling!   Wicked Waraji Wrangling! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2020 1:12 am

I genuinely admire your dedication to detail. Rather than settling for something molded out of flexible plastic, you went with the real deal!

Must have taken some research to track these down!

Okay... we have pics of the shoes. Now how about pics of the entire warrior? Or... are shoes the first part of his ensemble, not the last? Embarassed

Russian Infantry
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Waraji Wrangling!   Wicked Waraji Wrangling! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2020 3:11 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
Now how about pics of the entire warrior? Or... are shoes the first part of his ensemble, not the last? 
No, the Samurai is entirely finished now. Was just waiting on the sandal things so as not to have him walking around in his socks.

I'll post a pic of him soon, but lest he disappoint, do be prewarned that unlike some who boastfully claim through pasted smiles to have somehow assumed the exalted rank (perhaps of Onna-bugeisha?) MY Samurai does NOT flounce around in very abbreviated, vaguely Oriental outfits, nor have hugely over-sized (and most un-Japanese anatomically) chest protrusions on view.
He's modestly unostentatious, dignified, and Zen, befitting of the rank he holds.

Russian Infantry
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Waraji Wrangling!   Wicked Waraji Wrangling! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2021 4:17 am

As promised here's my Samurai. A most dignified and Zen figure, eschewing all fanciful ostentations.
(PLEASE note the wariji, tied in the correct manner....I HOPE! Rolling Eyes )

Wicked Waraji Wrangling! 8yVJmG

Wicked Waraji Wrangling! WbrLuW

Flock Head
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Waraji Wrangling!   Wicked Waraji Wrangling! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2021 5:18 am

GREAT figure LeStryge!!

Your outfit looks better than mine, mine looks oversized and baggy compared to yours!

And really nice detail on the sword and scabbard. At least ten times better than the Hasbro one I have.

You must have a lot more patience than me, to work on tying the wariji. It would drive me mad to
try to tie those.

He is most dignified. Nice work! He looks great.

Daryl
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Russian Infantry
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Waraji Wrangling!   Wicked Waraji Wrangling! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2021 6:08 am

Sincere thanks Daryl! Much appreciated.
I was aiming for the historical look with this one, hence all the messing around with those sandals. 
A steep learning curve for me. That, plus a trial for my big fingers.

Flock Head
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Waraji Wrangling!   Wicked Waraji Wrangling! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2021 7:47 am

You have certainly achieved a historical look.

I can't even imagine trying to tie those sandals.
Especially after saying what looks like the heel is actually the toes. affraid

Daryl

Back to top Go down
LeStryge
Russian Infantry
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Waraji Wrangling!   Wicked Waraji Wrangling! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2021 10:57 pm

I really like the head-sculpt on your bloke. He's more of a "fighter" I think. 
One with quite a lot of experience. 
He also looks a lot like Samurai are depicted in authentic Japanese wood-block prints.

Wicked Waraji Wrangling! IwWjN0

Flock Head
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Waraji Wrangling!   Wicked Waraji Wrangling! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2021 4:49 am

He does look older. But your figure looks like a fighter, he has a stern expression.

The back of the body on mine says Dragon LMTD and has the date 1999.

I didn't know they made a samurai figure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wicked Waraji Wrangling!   Wicked Waraji Wrangling! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wicked Waraji Wrangling!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: Modern Action Man (Mam) 1990 Onwards :: Mam Kitbashes-
Jump to: