ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sixth Sense at VooDoo

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SixthShooter
Eagle Eyes
SixthShooter

Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2021 9:08 pm

Well I have the PA Option. I'm personally not a fan of Marshall's as they seem to be a Rock/Metal type amp. Given most 1/6 guys don't even run an Amp, or bother to do the correct cabling, I'd say I'm well ahead of the curve. ;-)  I'll run the Grand through the PA from now on. It's hard to say where to stop in the set up details as most have no clue how it's supposed to run in the real world.

I'd never get on stage with my ES-335 unplugged. Put a quick end to any performance. Lol

Seriously though, I could spend weeks adding details to the stage set up alone. Switching gear for different Bands, changing the line up, etc.
Back to top Go down
londonroadhog
Painted Head (Hard Hands)

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2021 9:12 pm

That's true... It is rather pointless having a bank of keyboards that aren't plugged in... Be a little silent. Although, if you had the wireless instrument remotes on the guitarists' belts, then they could be wireless into a sound system. Likewise the keyboards and vocalists....

Yup, been there, done that too. As my keys didn't move, we didn't bother making them wireless, but if I was a keytar (wash your mouth out!) player, then being wireless would have been good. Better than tripping over cables.

But, still need cables for the monitors, etc... I think you laid it out really well.

Eagle Eyes
SixthShooter

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2021 9:17 pm

My girl with the White Les Paul and Orange Amp uses a remote which can be seen on top of the amp and on her guitar strap. ;-)

Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 9qqjcYh

Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 MInmqwF
Back to top Go down
londonroadhog

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2021 9:19 pm

Sweet! You are making me think about making a band.... You know that don't you!!!

Eagle Eyes
SixthShooter

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2021 9:23 pm

Lol, It happens. I like the versatility of a stage and band, and it was a natural expansion from the Bar. Though I think the stage was earlier. I had originally considered three plots, One the Police procedural, Two a Bar, and Three a Stage. I deleted the Police procedural concept, and combined the remainder. There will be other facets of the bar, I can see an apartment, and an office, for starters.
Back to top Go down
londonroadhog

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2021 9:33 pm

I get that. Options for expansion is good.

I can also see from my Spy Camp perspective, because they are based in a huge mansion somewhere in the UK, the main accommodation and training rooms are in converted Stables. I've already intimated that there could be a restaurant/food place, why not a bar and stage? My current thought, even though they have the training room, as I mentioned on chat today, I am thinking of adding a Japanese style Martial Art dojo.

That's one of the advantages of having a theme that can be expanded. Spy Camp initially started with the Training Room. Where they did some martial arts, and knife techniques. I have a whole boat load of training sessions planned. It would be easy to include an Armoury, Shooting Range, Assault Course, etc etc.... Spys need a lot of stuff for their training. I think this theme could keep me going for many years, if I want it to.

Eagle Eyes
SixthShooter

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2021 9:35 pm

I love Spy Camp, great work. And yes one can easily add a Bar and Stage. Though fair warning. The stage can be rather addictive... even more so if you're a musician. It's the only way I can get a Gig. Lol
Back to top Go down
londonroadhog

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2021 9:44 pm

Thanks. I enjoy Spy Camp. It just takes over when I get into things. Being a Martial Artist of multiple forms helps. Although haven't been for a few years now. Like gigging. I've not been in a band for more than 10 years, but I still play. But that's for my enjoyment now.

Over the last year or so, at least in the UK. No gigs have been allowed.

I am very tempted with a bar and stage. I don't want to seem as though I am copying anyone, but I've seen three other people have stages in 1/6 in the last few weeks. Obviously Dal, and you. There's someone over on MWD that has one too. So, even though I am very very tempted. There are a few other expansions I want to do first. So maybe that will let the other people have their fun with bands and bars, then I can do a bit of that a little later. I've only got so much room, and all my dioramas are collapsable, and stored as flat packs. As I mentioned earlier to Dave and Dal that I can dismantle in about 10 minutes, and set up in about 15-20 minutes. Depending on the scene. The Spy Camp offices are no where near as detailed as Dal's Jake's Study. But that's fine. Simplicity is sometimes more appropriate. Spy Camp is supposed to be shown as something new. Whereas Jake's Study is something Dal's created, and remodelled over time. Both have their places in stories.

Anyway, when I can get back into really sorting out 1/6 again (hopefully very soon - like days or a week or so), I'll decide what to do next.

Eagle Eyes
SixthShooter

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2021 9:47 pm

Well the thing about Bars is everyone has their own take on it, so you copy a few things, but at the end of the day, the Bar takes on a life of it's own. I had a few ideas of what I wanted, but from there on, it just took off. ;-) And we can always use another bar. Seems Dal's is more of a rowdy Rock and Roll Bar, whereas mine is a more subdued R&B Blues venue. ;-)
Back to top Go down
londonroadhog

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2021 10:14 pm

True... We will have to see.

Mine would be Rock, no doubt, with maybe a bit of Heavy Metal thrown in. Think Metallica, or even Dream Theater, along with Queen, Status Quo, Rolling Stones, etc etc.

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 12:12 am

londonroadhog wrote:
I just looked, couldn't find one on ebay [Gloria Piano], but did find someone selling them for £12 on aliexpress. For that price, I'll take a chance.

I see what you mean by pepto bismol pink. It is exactly that colour. I don't have a spray gun, but I am sure I can find a spray paint can, and give it a few coats out in the garden when the wind is down, and it isn't raining.

I fully endorse the Gloria piano. And spray-painting in the back garden when the wind is down!  Razz  You can find numerous pics of repainted examples on Flickr that look superb.

I painted mine with rattle cans of semi-gloss. I used a primer for plastics for the first coats. Important tip: wash all the plastic parts in warm water using dishwashing detergent to remove any excess oiliness from the plastic. I learned this tip online somewhere, and it has resulted in much greater success when spray-painting plastic.

The satin/semi-gloss paint worked well for me. It is less reflective in photos than gloss, and also more forgiving for the inevitable flaws in the finish.

Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 40679908413_a14194d710

SixthShooter wrote:
My girl with the White Les Paul and Orange Amp uses a remote which can be seen on top of the amp and on her guitar strap.

Marvelous detail that only a musician or a serious band fan would notice!

londonroadhog wrote:
Sweet! You are making me think about making a band.... You know that don't you!!!

Do it! Do it! Do it! Or, at least, start on a little corner stage, coffee shop style, where an instrumentalist or a small combo could set up. It's a lot of fun, and hey, all the cool kids are making bands these days!

londonroadhog wrote:
I am thinking of adding a Japanese style Martial Art dojo.

Or perhaps a not-particularly-successful strip mall karate studio in the seedy part of town?

Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Dojo1_500
1/12 scale Steel Hand Dojo™ franchise karate studio

Okay... maybe not!   No  

(Coincidentally, I have been considering converting the unfinished and unused 1/12 scale karate studio in to a practice room or a performance venue for a 1/12 scale action figure band.)

londonroadhog wrote:

I am very tempted with a bar and stage. I don't want to seem as though I am copying anyone, but I've seen three other people have stages in 1/6 in the last few weeks. Obviously Dal, and you.

Inspired by, not copying! As with actually playing an instrument, it's more fun to play with a group! I'm looking forward to seeing "Battles of the Bands" and crossover storylines and guest appearances of various bands at various venues. Uhm... and you know who we will be calling on to handle the necessary Photoshop work for that to happen, so, uh... yeah! You should climb aboard the band-wagon!
Wink

SixthShooter wrote:
Well the thing about Bars is everyone has their own take on it, so you copy a few things, but at the end of the day, the Bar takes on a life of it's own. ... And we can always use another bar.

And another bar band!

Last edited by SCU_HQ on Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SixthShooter
Eagle Eyes
SixthShooter

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 12:51 am

Oh yeah Baby... It's On! ;-)
Back to top Go down
RealSarahdactyl
Action Soldier
RealSarahdactyl

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 2:06 am

So a good tip when painting with spray paint cans.

If you want that smoother finish and not risk the rougher texture. Sink the cans in warm/hot but not too hot water.

This way it warms the can and the contents and helps the pain from drying as it goes through the air. I learned this on YouTube watching a man paint a model car.
Back to top Go down
SixthShooter
Eagle Eyes
SixthShooter

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 3:01 am

Interesting, I've never heard that one. Might be worth a try, though I've had pretty good success with the old 'many light coats' Also don't use cheap spray cans.
Back to top Go down
RealSarahdactyl
Action Soldier
RealSarahdactyl

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 4:22 am

SixthShooter wrote:
Interesting, I've never heard that one. Might be worth a try, though I've had pretty good success with the old 'many light coats' Also don't use cheap spray cans.

What brands do you use? Eventually I want to paint my RC Porsche, but it has to looks nice at the end!
Back to top Go down
SixthShooter
Eagle Eyes
SixthShooter

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 4:41 am

I like Dupli-color for spray cans. Though for your RC project, I'd consider an airbrush. Much finer results.
Back to top Go down
Blondeactionman
Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 7:57 am

SixthShooter wrote:
Well the thing about Bars is everyone has their own take on it, so you copy a few things, but at the end of the day, the Bar takes on a life of it's own. I had a few ideas of what I wanted, but from there on, it just took off. ;-) And we can always use another bar. Seems Dal's is more of a rowdy Rock and Roll Bar, whereas mine is a more subdued R&B Blues venue. ;-)

bounce bounce bounce  I was just about to say the same thing Roy, having a bar doesn't mean you are copying anyone. It will be as unique as yourself mate. Go for it! cheers cheers cheers

Eagle Eyes
SixthShooter

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 2:47 pm

Indeed, doesn't everyone want to own a Bar? They're a lot of fun to build, and there are so many ideas and options for dioramas and photostories. Just the staff alone, not to mention the patrons, bands, etc. If nothing else, it gives your 1/6ths a chance to get out and chill. For VooDoo, almost every figure gets out of storage box time.

I just wish they'd drink a little less, last night they ruined the bar top, and now I have to figure out how to fit it. As the bar is essentially made of foam core and paper, it is not resistant to any kind of spills, and I tipped over a drink made with Resin I thought it was dry as it had 'cured' for well over 24 hours.

If I can't fit it, well I'd rather not dwell on that.
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Action Soldier
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 2:52 pm

I don't know where all Krylon Fusion paint is available.

About five years ago, when I hit my hiatus from the hobby, I had bought
some Gloria furniture. Despite the photos on the boxes, everything was
pink and lavender. I picked up some cans of Krylon Fusion paint.

The Krylon Fusion paint is made specifically for plastic. It is supposed
to bond well to plastic and not scratch easily. Basically "welding" into
the plastic.

I know, I can't say for sure because I have yet to use it. But I bought
a couple of cans to paint the Gloria sets I picked up. But I won't be
able to use it until the weather warms up. It's still in the 40's and
50's here (farenheight) and I've been out of the hobby for a bit.

But if it works as stated, it should be easier than having to use primer
and other paints.

Just a thought.

Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Action Soldier
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 2:57 pm

Every bar has it's spills. It only adds to the authenticity.

Back to top Go down
SixthShooter
Eagle Eyes
SixthShooter

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 3:00 pm

With the bar top being construction paper even a small spill is set. With the resin, it left a dark oily patch on the top which could not be hidden. I've carefully peeled of the paper, but it took some of the paper of the foam core with it as well. I've got a few ideas, but due to another small stain was considering recovering the top at some point anyway. It's just a project that now needs to be done sooner than later.

Might need to shut the bar down for a few days, but otherwise we will survive. ;-)
Back to top Go down
londonroadhog

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 4:21 pm

I wonder if waterproof varnish would have saved your bar top???

Eagle Eyes
SixthShooter

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 4:37 pm

Not really, I used construction paper, so any wet media is an issue. I tried to paint a small bit to see if I could salvage it, but it immediately bubbled. Motivated this morning, I've made a new top from slightly heavier poster paper and will glue it to the foam core top. Fingers crossed. ;-)

With the bar made of foam core, one day I'd like to use it as a pattern and have it duplicated in wood of a similar thickness. I honestly never expected the Bar would last as long as it has, but it's been about eight years or so with no issues, so having a wooden one made isn't a high priority.
Back to top Go down
SixthShooter
Eagle Eyes
SixthShooter

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 6:32 pm

Managed to resurface the Bar Top. I think it turned out ok.

Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Rq7rUDE

Blondeactionman likes this post

Back to top Go down
Blondeactionman
Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2021 7:40 pm

Very nice Roy! you have done a wonderful job bounce bounce

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Sense at VooDoo   Sixth Sense at VooDoo - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sixth Sense at VooDoo
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: Dioramas & Models :: 1/6 Scale Dioramas & Models-
Jump to: