ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
BrandontheFigureFreak
Polar Explorer
BrandontheFigureFreak

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2021 1:55 pm

So, I thought I'd show off one of My most prized and cherished yet some of the most obscure of all of My vintage action figures: Monster Man aka Halloween Monsters made by SOMA! in 1986! During an era when Masters of the Universe was arguably the hottest property (My favorite of all back then) of the decade and because of this many companies that was relatively unknown compared to Mattel would make their own bootleg/knock-off fantasy series' of their own. Well, My favorite of these "other" lines was by SOMA, a smaller company of yesteryear that has since been defunct for decades.

Here is a menagerie sample of the Monster Men!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Group_19

So, it was about 1986 when I would go to all the great stores with My Grandma during some of the best times during the heyday of "true action figure collecting" ever (I count that 80s - early 2000s). One of My favorite stores we'd go to was Woolworths! They were an American general-merchandise retail business that basically went out of business, rejuvenated and became something else. There was two of them locally and My fave of the 2 was the one further away though the other one was also really nice. They had such variety and options in items of all kinds to groceries to action figures and to this day I remember how their action figure isles looked like I mean they arguably were the best even compared to stores like K-Mart, Venture & Target. Woolworths even had their own "exclusive" toys & action figures and the "Monster Man" figures were among them. There was only six of them within the set and unfortunately they either cancelled the series or just ran it out with that selection. They never had any names whatsoever nor backstories for that matter just a detailed blister card on the front and completely blank on the back besides company & store info (I do not have the cards still) so no additional ideas or thought went into these guys besides their overall designs. I believe these figures were a very limited run because despite that I was very young at the time, I remember seeing them only a couple times at that same Woolworths where there was lots of MOTU and tons of G.I. Joe but these guys were non-existent! However, later on, from 1990 to a short period afterward, Walmart would pick them up apparently for a limited run and label them as "Halloween Monsters" under a completely new blister card with new art yet they are still nameless and still a blank card with the Walmart info. Unlike Woolworths' original run with the series, Walmart got uncreative and just placed them in the Holiday/Halloween section hence their new name. They didn't see them as a cool action figure line but just as a novelty for the spooky time. After this they fell into the void of obscurity, became things of legend in the action figure world and only collector's like a Me would know about them. There only a handful of people on YouTube (if even that) that talk about them and have since become VERY expensive on eBay!

So they are about 5.5" tall or around in that scale. They fit in nicely with the vintage MOTU line and with exceptions, a little fan-fiction and imagination, they could fit in other vintage series' from the 80s & 90s and maybe even lines from the 2000s depending on how your preference is. They are really soft and are made of a rubbery plastic. Their limbs are removable and I suppose you could swap their parts to each other. I believe I did that back in the day as I had tons of fun with them back then. The sculpting and paint is fairly decent, its all cool 80s designs which you can clearly tell they are by first glance! Oh and they followed the 80s & 90s great trend by glowing in the dark! quality is top notch. I didn't take care of My vintage MOTU unfortunately hence why I was such a huge collector @ MattyCollector if ya know what I mean but I took care of these strange fellas thank goodness Smile  

Like I said earlier on, these guys never did have any identities so I have named them and have took some pics of them as well like usual. Here there they!

Muck-O-Man!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Muck-o10

Fire-Man!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Fire-m10

Tree-Man!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Tree-m10

Rock-Man!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Rock-m10

Varanian-Man!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Varani10

Avian-Man!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Avian-10

The Copyright!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Copyri10

Scale with vintage MOTU Prince Adam!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Compar10

We're All Together Now!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Group_20

Well there you have it, I hope you have been kinda educated Laughing about these obscurities and everything about them. Questions please if ya got'em! Next up, it be some more monsters but these are more "well known"! Till then see you around Cool

Last edited by BrandontheFigureFreak on Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Blondeactionman likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.Don't have one,don't need one!.com
Blondeactionman
Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2021 2:04 pm

They look great Brandon, at first I was unsure of their size, so it really helped when you posed them with your He-man figure. They have a very stylized look bounce

Action Pilot
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2021 4:52 am

I have to say I was familiar with the Masters of the Universe, but not the
SOMA figures! I'm guessing you have a rare collection with those figures.

But I was in my twenties and starting my photojournalism career in 1986,
so I wasn't keeping up with toy trends at that time.

But great collection!

Daryl

Back to top Go down
Prof Gangrene Fan
Prof Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2021 7:40 am

I think your collection of SOMA Monster Men look cute. I’m really liking the look of Tree-Man and Rock-Man. Thanks for sharing these with us.

Polar Explorer
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2021 12:34 pm

Blondeactionman wrote:
They look great Brandon, at first I was unsure of their size, so it really helped when you posed them with your He-man figure. They have a very stylized look bounce

Thanks a lot Dal. Yes, l feel its important for comparison Smile

BrandontheFigureFreak
Polar Explorer
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2021 12:38 pm

TNshooter wrote:
I have to say I was familiar with the Masters of the Universe, but not the
SOMA figures! I'm guessing you have a rare collection with those figures.

But I was in my twenties and starting my photojournalism career in 1986,
so I wasn't keeping up with toy trends at that time.

But great collection!

Daryl

Thanks Daryl Very Happy Its ok, many doesn't know about them and that is one of cool things here Smile

BrandontheFigureFreak
Polar Explorer
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2021 12:39 pm

Prof Gangrene Fan wrote:
I think your collection of SOMA Monster Men look cute. I’m really liking the look of Tree-Man and Rock-Man. Thanks for sharing these with us.

Thanks a lot about this Prof Very Happy

BrandontheFigureFreak
Polar Explorer
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2021 11:41 am

Oh boy, here we go! Here is My collection of the Imperial Classic Monsters by extremely underacted vintage toy company called Imperial! They made tons of creative monsters & creatures of their own plus & inspired kaijus as well which I loved them, however, these classic monsters are some of My most prized vintage figures of all. These guys were released from 1985 to 1986. Most of them all have a great personal story within them. Now, these are all classic movie licenced and back in the US this was really the only way to get these characters in figure form.

One important note, one thing I have always loved about Imperial is their sculpted logo & info on the figures, I have taken pics of them all! I have taken good care of them but unfortunately I do not have their tags, it was foolish of Me back then to remove them but they are still great! So, without further ado here they are!

Godzilla 1985 - Large Version! Oh man, I was so stoked when the new movie came out, I watched it countless times and IMO it's still one of the best if not the greatest Godzilla movie of all time. So, what makes him extremely special for Me is that My Grandpa went on a business trip in Kansas City MO, while there he saw a hobby shop there and in the window he saw this really big Godzilla figure in it and he quickly went in the shop and asked them if it was for sale and sure enough it was and he bought it for Me because he knew I absolutely loved Godzilla! This is one of the most cherished memories I have of My Grandpa (I miss him so much) Sad Crying or Very sad This Godzilla is about 11" or so inches tall and is of a thick yet soft kind of rubber but not like the classic vinyl Kaiju figures of Japan. He moves at the shoulders & hips as well as a single joint in his tail. I love the detail and sculpting is really nice and is such a great version from the movie!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Godzil11
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Godzil12
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Godzil13
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Godzil16
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Godzil15
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Godzil14

Godzilla 1985 - Small Version! This one is nearly identical to the much larger one but is only about 5" or so. My Grandma got Me him not to long after My Grandpa got Me the big one. I believe she got Me him either at Ben Franklin's or Ventures.  

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Godzil19
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Godzil18
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Godzil17

King Kong 1933! Yes, the original Kong! His sculpting is great, I always loved how he looked here. I find the sculpting and everything really good. My Grandma got Me him I believe it was at Ben Franklin's (Gosh I loved that store!) and he was such a must for Me!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 King_k11
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 King_k10

The UNIVERSAL MONSTERS! Yes! Imperial made the classic Universal Monsters too! I was so surprised when I found them and how I did as well! My Grandparents took Me to Venture as usual (one of My favorite department stores of all that has been gone for decades) and down at the end of the action figure isle there was a bin where loose figures and novelties were and there they were...The Universal Monsters! They only made four of them. All have terrific sculpting and are about 8" tall give or take. They all have the same POA at the neck and shoulders. They also have a ton of info sculpted on their backs. Like I said, these guys were loose in a bin but later on they would be carded.

The Wolfman!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Wolfma11
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Wolfma10

Frankenstein's Monster!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Franke10
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Franke11

Dracula!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Dracul11
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Dracul10

The Mummy!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Mummy_11
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Mummy_10

SPECIAL GALLERY!

Godzilla 1985 vs. King Kong 1933!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Godzil20

Frankenstein meets the Wolfman as the other monsters look on!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Imperi10

Super Group of the Imperial Classic Monsters!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Imperi11

Well, that's all for now, I hope you have enjoyed My Imperial Classic Monsters showcase. Wait until you guys see what I have instore in the coming weeks so more is coming really soon! Till then I'll see you around Very Happy

Blondeactionman
Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2021 12:00 pm

You certainly have a great selection of monsters and stuff Brandon bounce , thanks for taking the time to share them cheers cheers

Action Pilot
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2021 9:24 am

Great collection Brandon!

I especially like the 11" Godzilla figure.

Daryl

Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Action Pilot
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2021 10:27 am

BrandontheFigureFreak wrote:
SCU_HQ wrote:

TNshooter wrote:
Very cool that you still have the VHS tapes from back in the day!

Do you still have a VHS player to watch them with?

Daryl

Thanks Daryl, I actually do but I'm still trying to figure out how to make it work since everything is modern now and with HDMI but that is a whole different topic right there Rolling Eyes

My TV has connections, which in the old days were called RCA jacks. I'm not sure what they are called now.

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Tv_jac10

The left image is the jacks on the TV, the right image is the jacks from the VCR. If yours has them.

That should connect the VCR to the TV. After that, select the input on your TV for it to show the input.

BUT, make sure the heads, capstans and rollers are clean before you try to run the tape. If not, the VCR will
"eat" the tape. Meaning it will stick and pull the tape into a mess in the VCR. If that makes sense. In this case
the plugs will go into the slots of video input 1. The color of the plugs will match with the colors of the receiving
plug in spots.

Daryl
Back to top Go down
BrandontheFigureFreak
Polar Explorer
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2021 8:12 am

Blondeactionman wrote:
You certainly have a great selection of monsters and stuff Brandon bounce , thanks for taking the time to share them cheers cheers

Thanks Very Happy Yes, I love them kind of figures. Your welcome Dal Smile

BrandontheFigureFreak
Polar Explorer
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2021 8:21 am

TNshooter wrote:
Great collection Brandon!

I especially like the 11" Godzilla figure.

Daryl

Thanks Daryl, I'm glad you like My big Godzilla Very Happy

Yeah, those output/input I'm familiar with those but with recent tec it is more difficult. I appreciate that very much Smile

More great vintage figures and more to come soon!

BrandontheFigureFreak
Polar Explorer
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2021 10:46 am

Here we go with My next update. I thought that this would be very apropos that I would showcase My Bog-O-Bones from the short lived Boglins series made by Mattel because I got him around the same time as I did My Imperial Universal Monsters at Venture (previously seen within this great classic/vintage action figure topic).

The series was out about 1987, a terrific time of horror & spooky fantasy when there was a wild need for little monsters & creatures like Gremlins, Trolls, & Ghoulies! The most underrated & scarce of them all IMO were the Boglins! They were under a Halloween sub-line/name/gimmick because they came out around that season and were perfect for it as Halloween was still classic & fun and still really meant something. I absolutely loved them and regret not getting anymore of these guys. These figures were actually hand puppets and worked wonderfully (Mattel would revisit this type of feature with some the awesome Street Sharks in the 90s which I will get to soon enough Surprised ). He has eye gears & levers inside his head to control their movements and a compartment for his mouth to open and close. Most of his body is of a smooth kind of rubber but his eyes are plastic. Thank goodness I took care of My BOG-O-BONES as he is well over thirty years old! I played with him so much when I was young and still did even when I got older and I am happy to admit, to this day I continue to do so from time to time just not as playful mind you! I loved how they came in this cool and scary looking box as you can tell what kind of time they are from which was obviously full of horrific grandeur Smile

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Bog-o-12

Here is his nice and hilarious yet taking itself seriously bio card on the box  Wink

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Bog-o-10

Instructions for the kids on the back of the bio card. Smile

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Bog-o-13

Examples of his box. Please note that I have misplaced his black bars to keep him secure. I loved the artwork that Mattel used in the 80s & 90s. It shows the rest of the series of the main Boglins as well as smaller ones to collect. Another aspect that I really love is the scientific way & story of explaining them as a species (hopefully this made some kids back in the day wonder about mysterious creatures and want to study known ones Idea ).

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Bog-o-11
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Bog-o-15

Oh no, BOGGY has escaped Exclamation

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Bog-o-14

What? Peter Venkman of The Real Ghostbusters is scared stiff of BOG-O-BONES Surprised

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Bog-o-16

So there you have it, My Boggy from one of the most obscure series' by Mattel (if not by any company for that matter) The Boglins! I have much more vintage goodness from the 80s yet to be seen and some will really be surprising! Next update coming soon...until then I'll see you around Cool

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: BOGLINS!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: AMMO Commons :: Off Topic-
Jump to: