ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!

Go down 
+3
gibri
TNshooter
Blondeactionman
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
BrandontheFigureFreak
Deep Sea Diver
BrandontheFigureFreak

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 21, 2021 1:26 pm

Indeed Toxic, thanks Very Happy

http://www.Don't have one,don't need one!.com
BrandontheFigureFreak
Deep Sea Diver
BrandontheFigureFreak

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2021 11:18 am

So, before we get to My MOTU & Warrior Beasts by Mattel & REMCO, there is some important things that I found recently that I thought was necessary to show as bonus entries because one will make a cameo appearance within the special gallery of My next big showcase. OK, here we go with this bonus update Exclamation

Sgt. Slaughter MICRO-FIGURE: I believe I got this figure at a yard sale. He was a must have believe you Me!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Sgt_sl22
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Sgt_sl21

The Super Naturals: I recently found Lionheart's awesome shield and Burnheart's chest armor. Little by little I am finding their missing accessories and the like.

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Lionhe11
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Lionhe12
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Burnhe11

Lord Dread the Evil Mastermind from Captain Power: Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future: I just recently found his nice cloth purple cape that was in a storage bin that one of My most prized collections that I will showcase here in the future and I'll let you think of what this mystery is. So SPOILER ALERT, Lord Dread will make a special appearance in My MOTU & Warrior Beasts in a special pic and because of him that is why I made this special small bonus update in the first place Exclamation

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Dr_ter15
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Dr_ter14

Now, My MOTU & Warrior Beasts showcase will be upon us soon. I recently found some others that I will put within the spectacle as well. I also found a ton of other great stuff that I will present in the near future is is all going to be so far out Surprised  I hope you enjoyed this Smile  Until next time I'll you around Cool

TNshooter
Armoured Car Commander
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2021 1:04 pm

Wow, that micro Sgt Slaughter must be REALLY tiny! Considering the 3 3/4" figure seems like
a giant next to him.

Lord Dread is a cool looking figure! Considering this is the first time I have seen him, I have to
admit my ignorance as to Captain Power. I don't know anything about that character.
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2021 3:01 pm

Captain Power - is that the line where the figures would interact with episodes from the broadcast television series?

The Supernaturals had 3-D holographic images as faces, right? Cool concept. Too bad the figures had only limited articulation.

Last edited by SCU_HQ on Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BrandontheFigureFreak
Deep Sea Diver
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2021 5:30 pm

TNshooter wrote:
Wow, that micro Sgt Slaughter must be REALLY tiny! Considering the 3 3/4" figure seems like
a giant next to him.

Lord Dread is a cool looking figure! Considering this is the first time I have seen him, I have to
admit my ignorance as to Captain Power. I don't know anything about that character.

Yes Daryl, he is tiny, only about can inch and a half Shocked  Truth is I am very rusty. First home you say? Oh dude I featured him earlier on in My topic without his cape and I had explained all what I know then. If you can please check out My original section. There's no telling what else you missed Daryl Smile

Last edited by BrandontheFigureFreak on Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BrandontheFigureFreak
Deep Sea Diver
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2021 5:51 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
Captain Power - is that the line where the figures would interact with episodes from the broadcast television episodes?

The Supernaturals had 3-D holographic images as faces, right? Cool concept. Too bad the figures had only limited articulation.

Dude, like I said to Daryl, I am very rusty on it, it was a live action and CGI show. I just remember when I got him. You are thinking of Commputer Force-Commputer Warriors which was also made by Mattel. Please check My earlier entries in My topic to see him without the cape originally. As for The Super Naturals did indeed and it was a cool concept but keep in mind it was 1987, great and original concepts was the one of the best things of the 80s but POA wasn't the thing then but like I said in their original section, Hasbro made the Visionaries in 1987 with a very similar concept and they were basically G.I. Joes with POA. Like I said before I have the entire collection and I will showcase them in time Shocked

Scroll to My other entries earlier on in My topic cause you may have missed so other great stuff of Mine plus much more to come soon Very Happy

SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2021 8:29 pm

For reference: Captain Power: http://www.action-figures.ca/captain_power.htm

Yes, the toys would interact with the TV show while it was airing. I would like to have seen that in action.

I'm curious: where do you store all this stuff? Or is it all out on display in your vast mansion, a mansion so huge it makes Bruce Wayne envious? Or do you have a giant warehouse like that Mike Mozart guy who used to be on Youtube?

Deep Sea Diver
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2021 5:45 pm

Yeah, I got it mixed up with Commputer Force, like I said I am very rusty on it. I'm sure there's videos and examples on YT, is all you gotta do is look Wink

Actually I have two mansions, one was given to Me by a mysterious masked hooded man.......NOT!!!!!!! No, just a large house and really I have a lot on display and a lot in storage containers. If you have seen collectors showing their collections on YT then you'll have a good idea how Mine looks.

SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2021 5:58 pm

I have seen two approaches to figure displays: extremely neat, tidy, and organized with everything clearly visible and easy accessible on tidy shelves; or piles and heaps of disorganized chaos with treasures mixed in with trash. Which approach do you take?

Deep Sea Diver
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2021 8:04 am

Let's just say I'm kinda disorganized Rolling Eyes

BrandontheFigureFreak
Deep Sea Diver
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2021 3:32 pm

So here we go, the big Masters of the Universe by Mattel and REMCO's DC Warrior Beasts Shocked Now, Like I had said previously, I didn't take care of My MOTU at all. I was young and didn't realize things till later on. As you know I am a huge MOTU, probably one of the biggest fans you'll ever meet and you already know how I am about Mattel Rolling Eyes MOTU over the years has been handled so poorly by them its beyond pathetic and if they would have been better they could have made so much dough off of it and I'm talkin' as much as "the Marvel obsession" has made for the MCU! I truly believe that because there's more than plenty of material and I always thought they could make an ultimate trilogy timeline similar like in Lord of the Rings style but no, of course not, their MATTEL Mad So with that in mind, that is one of the most extremely wretched reasons why My beloved MOTU is always on midcard status and not one of the most top and celebrated franchises of ever of all-time...it just makes Me wanna Crying or Very sad in sadness as well as anger Mad

OK, with that much needed ranted over, when MOTU was on top and really the champion of the mid 80s, there was a craze for action mixed in with sword & sorcery/magic in movies & animation throughout the whole decade and MOTU (She-Ra as well) had it all! Great heroes, awesome villains, beautiful women, scary monsters and settings, great music, interesting stories, wonderful morals (something that is so missing today IMO) and so much more! It even was in the same timeline as modern day earth which played a big factor there which that was so far out for Me Shocked It was all you could want in a TV show by the great company Filmation IMO bounce  Other companies had ideas of their own and wanted to join the party and take their own shot. All really failed but there is one that truly came close, at least in My view and that was by a company called REMCO Exclamation Yes the same one that I just a little while ago! REMCO was an older toy company that went out of business many years ago unfortunately. They produced many toys & items for toddlers as well as their own brands of action figures in the army, sci-fi and fantasy genres in the 80s that were very reminiscent of other popular & more famous toy lines such as MOTU & G.I. Joe. They did however have actual licenses like AWA Wrestling, DC and Marvel, Sgt. Rock, Universal Monsters, Lost in Space, Star Trek, Arachnophobia among others. They went bankrupt and then sometime later they were purchased by Jakks Pacific whom as also took-over another great company (arguably My favorite of all-time) and they were called Trendmasters which sadly also had a similar fate like REMCO did. I honestly thought they were a very good company that held their own. As you had seen in My last big update, I featured REMCO's US Forces: Defenders of Peace, S.I.T. (Strategic Intelligence Team, and Villains! which if you saw and read that you'll know I like them arguably more than the "actual" G.I. Joes. Well, REMCO made a very cool series named DC Warrior Beasts and I have always loved these characters and their overall designs but I will get to that and all the info in time. Oh and there will be some sweet bonuses too bounce

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE: So here we go with only a small selection of them. Over the majority of My collection My Grandparents got Me them. When I was young I was horrible playing with them, chewing on them, play very rough and not storing them properly and so on. Over time their rubber bands in their legs dry-rotted and are unusable. Thankfully a handful of some of My favorites were intact but as usual they are worn and missing accessories. These guys were released from 81 to 87. So without further ado, here they are!

Prince Adam: You've seen him make cameos here and there in My topics and now here he is in all of his glory bounce I have always loved this design of him. His smooth velvet vest and black belt has always been a nice feature that is one of the most memorable clothing aspects of any action figure ever released!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Prince10

Battle Armor He-Man: This was always one of My faves. You would press his chest and the armor via a mechanism would change and mimic like it was damaged!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Ba_he-10

Battle Armor Skeletor: Same as He-Man and I love his color scheme!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Ba_ske10

Faker: One of My most prized action figures of any collection and one of My most favorite characters of all within the MOTU! In fact, with certain version inspections of his origins, I like him even more than He-Man himself Shocked I have always loved his color scheme. This version is a cyborg created by Skeletor but I prefer the Faker story from another dimencion Myself. I am so glad I wasn't dumb and I actually took care of him. His robotic sticker is still on his chest and yes I was able to find his sword!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Faker_10
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Faker_11
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Faker_12

Tyrantisaurus Rex! He was mostly in the MOTU comics and not in the cartoons. I misplaced his back cover & belly weapon but he still looks good. With that being said, he was never made into the MOTUC/Classics line like he should have been (Mattel missed out on so many opportunities with their frugal budget mentality) but with exceptions he could still could fit within that said series! I just love the inside of his mouth and his teeth! Here he is with some pics and size comparison with vintage MOTU Prince Adam! Exclamation

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Tyrant10
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Tyrant11
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Tyrant12
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Tyrant13

SPECIAL GALLERY!

Copyrights!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Copyri19
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Copyri21
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Copyri20

BA He-Man vs. BA Skeletor

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Ba_he-11

He-Man vs. Faker:  NOTE: I placed regular He-Man's power harness on to BA He-Man, its something I used to do when I was little.

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 He-man12

BA Skeletor and Faker

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Faker_13

MOTU BA He-Man meets DC Super Powers Superman (previously featured!) Exclamation

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Superm33

GROUP SHOT!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Group_30

All Mattel: See the reason for My small update the other day was because of a personal purpose. I retook the pic after I was pleasantly surprised that I found Lord Dread the Evil Mastermind's cool purple cape. Unfortunately I still haven'y located Tex Hex the Terrible's hat however Rolling Eyes Still, its wonderful going down memory lane and seeing all of this fun history bounce

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 All_ma12

BrandontheFigureFreak
Deep Sea Diver
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2021 3:35 pm

DC WARRIOR BEASTS: This is arguably the most sought after series that most collectors of MOTU and fantasy action figures alike desire to have more than any other! These figures were available in 1983 - 1984 and originally less than $3 each back when they were on the shelves and as I speak they go more than triple than that on the secondary & third marketplaces! Despite their insane value, these figures still might be considered "obscure" by many. Anybody whom was around and collected MOTU in the 80s would know of these supposed knockoffs/bootlegs. I beg the differ that these aren't actually knockoffs, in fact they really have their own personalty and overall near original design about them. They surely are not made like the Masters as they are made of a different plastic and they don't have the rubber-band hips as they have ball-jointed hips. They have neck, shoulder and waist cuts sure but once you hold a MOTU figure and then you hold a DC Warrior Beast then you'll know there is clearly a difference much like the same when you compare G.I. Joes and US Forces. Another huge factor is that they were a very short licence by DC Comics Shocked The DC Warrior Beasts are sometimes thought to be the villains for the Lost World of the Warlord line by REMCO (no, I do not have any of these figures) thus bringing about a radical crossover line which was a work by DC comic icon Mike Grell! So see, IMO are these guys are in no shape or form bootlegs Surprised  But you gotta keep in mind their was some other original characters in the series that came out of the imagination of REMCO! The sculpting is quite good and quite frankly purely fantastic! The paint is also good but more on that in a bit. I really like the color schemes as well. Like My Masters, Used to have more of these guys that I broke Rolling Eyes  I have misplaced their accessories and they are worn from play & age. Off to the showcase bounce

CRAVEN: Part of the DC Comics side, Craven is a anthropomorphic avian-reptilian humanoid. He is one of the most hardest figures to find & one of the most expensive characters of the whole series and try finding one in decent shape!

NOTE: I always thought his color scheme made him look a Robin, the everyday bird you see outside Laughing  

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Craven10

HYDRAZ: Like many of these characters, I believe that they were inspirations for some MOTU, TMNT among other lines of the future. Hydraz is like a humanoid Hyrdra Draconian and I believe he/they may have given rise to Mattel an idea or two to make their great Two-Badd character from MOTU Shocked

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Hydraz10
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Hydraz11

SNAKEMAN: Yep, possibly another inspiration for Mattel with their Snake Men because they didn't arrive till about a year later after his release in 83? Then again it just could be that it seems like every major toy series or franchise has to have a snake character or element thrown in there one way or another...I mean let's face it, snakes and reptilians are everywhere you look...what an obsession! Unfortunately his tail broke but I think he still looks good. Sometime his name is also spelled Snake Man.

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Snakem10

SKULLMAN: He had two variants, one with the hood and one without it. The hooded one's name was originally Skull Face but since collectors & fans of Skeletor said that he is a rip-off of the old bone head, REMCO changed his name to Skullman or Skull Man plus changing his head sculpt entirely. Honestly I think MOTU's Scare Glow was an inspiration of this version of this character without being glow in the dark mind you. Mine has a mark on his head, I don't recall how it got there but I cannot remove it. Now, many collectors think that Skull Man is THE Holy Grail of action figures of this kind and is truly one of the most difficult figures ever to obtain not to mention in good condition Shocked

NOTE: He wasn't really easy to find in My storage so I worked rather hard to showcase him here because he is so special Exclamation

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Skullm10
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Skullm11

Bonus REMCO Entry!

Crossbones of Pirates of The Galaxseas: The Legend of Tresure Island: I only got one figure from the series and that was Crossbones. I can picture it right now when My Grandma took Me to that great Woolworth that I always talk about and them figures on their big display shelf bounce Why I only wanted him I have no clue, just foolishness I guess Rolling Eyes So he is from just out of the minds of REMCO and he is pretty much in scale with his DC Warrior Beasts counter parts. His head sculpt resemble's Skull Man's slightly but his body is completely a new sculpt and seriously reminds Me of them red/skinned skeletons in the awesome Castlevania video games that would come out years later. His attire is of a cloth-vinyl and his gun is really good...yes I got his gun Exclamation I have always loved this character!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Crossb10
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Crossb11

SUPER BONUS ENTRY #1! Weaponsmaster from the Defender of the Planets by Sparkle Toy Inc. in 1985! I had no clue about him nor his series back in the day till I found him at a yard sale in the early 90s! He clearly looks very MOTU inspired but his quality is quite unique compared to them as his more plastic feeling. He is a great figure to have in any collection of fantasy!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Weapon10
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Weapon12

SUPER BONUS ENTRY #2!

Battle Rhino: Yes, this animal is called Battle Rhino and he is made by Imperial-DorMei in 1984. This creature is hard rubber AND is one of My most favorite beast figures. I usually display him with the Beast Warriors Exclamation

NOTE: I featured some other great monsters earlier on made by Imperial so if you haven't seen them then please check them out in previous entries or even if you have you could do it again Smile

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Battle11
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Battle10

SUPER BONUS GALLERIES & MORE!

Copyrights

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Copyri22
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Copyri23
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Copyri24

DC Comic Beast Warriors Blister Card: This was not My original pic, I just edited it for this special showcase!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Dc_war11
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Dc_war10

Kenner's DC Super Powers Superman (previously featured with REMCO's DC Warrior Beasts!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Dc_sup13
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Dc_sup14

BA Skeletor and Skull Man

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Skelet10

Beast Warriors group shot with Battle Rhino!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Battle12
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Warrio10

Weaponsmaster meets the MOTU!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Weapon11

Mattel vs. REMCO vs. Sparkle Toy vs. SOMA: See what I was talking about when I previously featured the Monsters by SOMA? The Avian-Man fits in just right!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Mattel11

Official vs. Unofficial: AKA Mattel and Hasbro vs. REMCO Exclamation

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Offici10
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Offici11

WOW there it is...finally Shocked Now one more thing, over the years especially during the time when Matty Collector existed there was some demand for Mattel to get the rights and make classics versions of the DC Warrior Beasts and even Olmec's Sun-Man (no I never got him or his series...would love to though). I had spoke to many of the forum members (that I have lost contact with since then) and there was plenty of support back then but unfortunately Mattel never made any effort about the fan demand whatsoever and woefully these lines still remain to be remastered due to their darn frustrating frugalness and unreasonably questionable decisions Mad  However, there has been some nice customs over the past decade or so that are truly OOAK of the DC Warrior Beasts, Weaponsmaster and even Sun-Man by some really skilled customizers and even Zoloworld has taken on their take of replicating the figures in their original design & scale plus some newer additions from their own creations Surprised

So, I hope you guys have enjoyed this really big (actually it became much larger than I had originally planned) showcase of Masters of the Universe by Mattel and REMCO's DC Warrior Beasts Exclamation I have more great 80s greatness to showcase here soon (but man I must say I cannot wait to get to the 90s) and we shall see what I plan on presenting next! I am saying this because very recently I have found a ton of great stuff(some that I didn't expect) that I am going to showcase that consist from very well known franchises to super rarities that many has either been forgotten about or have never seen before Shocked  Now it is possible that some of these figures that you have just witness may make cameo appearances with future entries plus there maybe a MOTU bonus section if things work out or they just may have a "guest" showcase. As always if you are just now checking this section out now please scroll back or go back to the previous pages and check out everything that you may have missed because I have featured some great, rare and obscure 80s goodness Smile Until the next update/showcase, I'll see you around Cool

SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2021 6:19 pm

Cool stuff! I was looking at one of the new He-Man figs in the store a few days ago. It says something on the package about "'80s style fun," which I found amusing. The new figs look like reasonably accurate re-issues. Not direct re-issues, more like "inspired by." I saw He-Man and Skeletor. I don't know if they are making other figs from the line.

The DC Warrior Beasts are pretty cool. I do not remember those at all, but you say they were really only around for one year. If they were licensed by DC and made by a major manufacturer like REMCO then they are definitely not "bootlegs." That skull head dude, though, was obviously "heavily inspired" by the popular Masters of the Universe.

I learned a while back that there are collectors of "genuine bootlegs and knockoffs" of the Masters of the Universe line. Usually these are from no-name Chinese companies and were marketed under a number of "karate" or "battle" or "fighting" style names. There's even an acronym for these figures: MOTU-KO or MOTUKO - Masters of the Universe Knock Offs.

What the knock-offs have in common with the original Masters of the Universe is an approximation of the aggressive stance and overall body shape. Beyond that, most of the KOs (knock-offs) are obviously not genuine Mattel products, or even from reputable competing brands like REMCO.

The "copycat" thing happens frequently in the toy world. When Monster High became popular, MGA responded with Bratzillaz, a horror themed Bratz line. When Ever After High became popular, Hasbro responded with Disney Descendants, another fairytale line. Way back in ye olden dayes (when toys were really cool), Hot Wheels completely eclipsed Matchbox, but another company brought out Johnny Lighting to compete, and Matchbox responded to the popularity of Hot Wheels by creating "Superfast" wheels.

It's no surprise that, with the popularity of the Masters of the Universe franchise, that other companies tried to cash in with "fantasy wrestler" type figures.

Wild collection you have here, though. Weapons Master... obviously a Man At Arms rip-off... errr.... okay, there's no way around it. While some of these figures were not straight bootlegs or knock-offs, they were definitely rip-offs trying to make a quick buck, probably by fooling innocent parents and grandparents in to thinking they were buying the real thing for their kids and grandkids.

What I dislike about figures like this - always have, ever since I was young - was the apparent willingness by so many companies to try to take advantage of unknowing parents and grandparents, leading to disappointment in the kids who ended up with a cheaper alternative to the popular series figures. It makes the field interesting for collectors today, but how many of us genuinely prefer "Skull Man" over the real Skeletor?

That REMCO Warrior Beast packaged figure must be rare beyond rare! And look: they even mention all the other lines that it "plays with." Basically, they list right on the front of the package all the other properties they ripped off with these cheap hybrids! That's so funny! I wonder if Mattel sued them for using Masters of the Universe on the packaging like that? Could explain why the Warrior Beasts weren't around for very long.

Also... kids aren't as stupid as the toy manufacturers seem to think. A kid knows the difference between the real deal and a copycat. Parents might not know, but kids do.

Fascinating collection of Good Stuff for True Fans. Like a pop culture time capsule from the 1980s and 1990s.

Last edited by SCU_HQ on Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BrandontheFigureFreak
Deep Sea Diver
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2021 7:46 am

Boy SCU, thanks for your reply dude Smile You wrote a pretty good follow up with some other info there...I knew most of what you but I'm very impressed with your knowledge Wink

Great, I wasn't sure you could see that pic good enough and was hoping that all of that what it said on the card would be noticeable to see and read Smile Actually I'm not sure about that Mattel scenario but back in the days of the Matty Collector board like I had previously said, there was much demand for them but Mattel never acknowledged the fan's desire about them so maybe what you said is correct Question Yes, parents then but maybe not now since the web Question I don't know about other kids but yes I sure knew the difference between MOTU and the others but see I've always been kinda different where I wanted more for My collection for crossovers, army builders and so on and I'm still like that if they match each other in design and are in scale wit them and especially is exceptions can be made.

I don't know what else to say SCU. Thanks for the reply and all of that SCU Very Happy

SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2021 7:55 am

As a local DJ spinning the oldies used to say when I was growing up, "the true stuff for the true believers." That's what you're posting for us - the good, the bad, and everything in between! Love the variety and the depth in your collection, and the personal anecdotes that go along with it. We're even getting to know your Grandma through these posts, which is pretty cool! Keep the True Stuff coming, man!

Deep Sea Diver
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2021 10:11 am

Huh a DJ, cool cheers Well thanks SCU. Yes, My Grandma is great:) Like I said, I try to make things exciting and tell it the way I see it. If its about Mattel oh I am very critical about them and I'm sure there more to speak of them in this topic as well as in My other topics like My Modern action figure where I showcased and talked about their DC figures and My special MOTU in the off topic section. I appreciate your support a lot SCU Very Happy

BrandontheFigureFreak
Deep Sea Diver
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2021 1:53 pm

SPECIAL NOTE: So before I reveal what's My next update is gonna be I wanted archive My Larami Dinosaur Set in a special brief edited segment because it was previously seen in My great Dinosaur figure topic so if you wanna see it in it's entirely then you know where to find it!

---------------------------------------------

Here we go, one of the ones that I wanted to showcase the most all is My Larami Dinosaur set! It is one of My most prized & cherished dinosaur collections that I have (I will present a very special bonus at the end of this one so stay tuned for that)! So, yes, it is THAT SAME Larami of the awesome Super Soaker water guns that would be later owned by Hasbro (who bought out many great companies of the past such as Tonka/Kenner and Galoob which IMO were fine before all of that!) under the NERF brand.

So, it was Christmas 1988 when My Grandparents surprised Me with a box of Dinosaurs that was actually a set and I was so stoked! I don't recall if I asked for it which was arguably even better because it totally unexpected! This is when I was really beginning to study dinosaurs and prehistoric life via books that My Grandparents & Mom got Me through My younger years.

Now, this set is indeed a special one as it represented (at the time) a very impressive lineup of well known animals of the Mesozoic era but would also "start" to depict them more accurately (I love the classic & old school depictions too) as more specimens were being found as opposed to the classical age depictions of years prior. The Sauropods IMO are ones that are being designed with more accuracy than the others within the series and to My knowledge this was one of the first sets ever to depict them in a more correct manner. The sculpting is decent for the time and on their bellies is a sculpted logo of the company Larami and the name of the creature that it represents. Thank goodness I took good care of them. Here is some pictures of the entire set Very Happy  

The Set/Group: Tyrannosaurus Rex, Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Apatosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Diplodicus, Parasaurolopus, Iguanodon, Styrachosaurus, Pterandon and Plesiosaurus. Look how great they are next to each other Exclamation

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Set_111

BONUS!!!!!!!

During these times of 1986-1990, My Grandma was a customer of a really awesome toy catalog called Troll! They had tons of science stuff including figures & books of Prehistoria. She got Me a lot from that store (I believe that they went out of business some time in the early 90s but they were around a time when things were special and dinosaurs was such a priority, I loved that store and I have missed it for decades) and I thought that it would be apropos to show off these two unique figures as I have always put them with the Larami set and they are made by/for the British Museum of Natural History and here they are!

Ichthyosaurus: Yes, the "Fish-Lizard" has no paint and I never wanted to paint him because if did he would lose all of his value and original appearance. He is about 7" long. The sculpting is IMO still dandy to this day. There is a great sculpting info on his belly as well.

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Ichyth11

Blue Whale: Now, of course he isn't a marine reptile or even prehistoric, it's just that he was sold in a small set of 2 so I got him as well. Like his counterpart, he too isn't painted  but the sculpting is top notch and he also has info sculpted on his underside.

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Blue_w10

Together!

Super Comparison! Yep, here they are with a couple selections of My Larami set!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Compar11

SUPER NEW BONUS!

Here is couple, never before pics of the Larami T-Rex and BMNH Icthyosaurus with the previously seen Captain Power's Blastarr Ground Guardian & Lord Dread because My Grandparents got Me them during the same Christmas they got Me My Larami Dinosaur Set!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Cp_wit10
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Lord_d14

----------------------------------------------

So what I plan on next to showcase is gonna be a special one and one that is quite dear to Myself which will be My LJN showcase that will consist of WWF Wrestling Superstars and ThunderCats!! I hope your excited for that, until then I see you around Cool

BrandontheFigureFreak
Deep Sea Diver
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 3:23 pm

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Ljn_lo11

Oh boy, this is one the ones that I have been waiting to showcase even before I started this great topic many months ago Shocked A long while back I started a great vintage wrestling action figure topic because I have so much of them they needed to be separate plus wrestling always been one of My most cherished passions ever since I was little. I am still updating that topic as I speak and just a heads up, look for a big modern wrestling figure topic starting soon which it's gonna be a wild visual ride to say the least Exclamation So as I said, this is one that I wanted to showcase a lot because of so many ultra cool reasons Smile  

This is the LJN edition in My great Vintage Action Figure topic. I have decided to split this into 2 parts as both will be really massive showcases and two that are truly classics of the 80s and to collectors & fans alike. Part 1's showcase will consist of the WWF Wrestling Superstars & Part 2's presentation will feature The ThunderCats Exclamation  I had taken many of these pics long ago but was holding off till I found My 2 LJN wrestling cards as they are extremely important to Me. Without them I felt this section would have been incomplete to show the fantastic memories and the overall greatness of the most classic WWF line of all-time! I do not have any ThunderCats blister cards however.

In the coming paragraphs, I will provide tons of important info to read thus becoming a crucial introduction of LJN'S history and much, much more!

So who or what is LJNQuestion LJN was one of the most iconic companies ever that was actually a video game business that made awesome action figures as well. They made many great games for all big systems like the NES, SNES & Sega Genesis including WWF wrestling games but more on that in a bit. They made Back to the Future, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Jaws, Friday the 13th, many Marvel, Aliens and Terminators titles to only mention a few. As for their memorabilia & action figure lines, they made the likes of E.T., Gremlins, Rambo, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Photon, Dungeons & Dragons, Dune, Michael Jackson, S.W.A.T. Voltron and much more! I mean they had series galore much like Kenner & REMCO! So what happen to them? Well, MCA of all companies bought their stock and made wonders until a faulty paint-gun incident happened in 1987 and the company never recovered it's grand status. So MCA sold LJN to another video game business but this wasn't any regular game company, this was ACCLAIM in 1990 Shocked At the time and pretty much thru the 90s, ACCALIM was the most popular of all. They had some other subsidiaries like Flying Edge, Arena, Sculpted Software, Iguana and Acclaim Sports. So LJN folded in 1995 and Acclaim went under major bankruptcy in 2004 and was gone forever Shocked Many gamers tend to forget or ignore all of this history but I am not one them  Exclamation

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Logo_210

So here is a personal note of Mine, when I was little, I always paid attention to the unobvious like companies, which company owned who and what movie & game was made by whom. Lots of kids and people that was older didn't think it was fun or even important but I sure did. I knew a lot including Kenner was owned by Tonka and I knew Acclaimed owned LJN and keep in mind there was no internet in the 80s and very early 90s to the general public like it is now. I paid attention to blister cards, commercials, newspapers and magazines, it was the good old fashion way of learning things outside of school and it was fun too because I learned about My favorite companies that made My favorite things! So with all of that being said, here is the things that has always got Me, if you look at LJN's first parent MCA and look at the merch they made it is a no brainer, however, Acclaim had made WWF Wrestlemania for the NES in 1989, in fact, it was released just before WWF Wrestlemania V! Acclaim didn't purchase LJN till later in 1990. I have always found it really strange that LJN was already into making WWF items and Acclaim had made a WWF video game in 1989...seems like it was destiny for LJN to join them and continue their great WWF journey for a while longer? Some might say oh it's just a coincidence and MCA found a company suitable like them but I beg the differ here and say otherwise Shocked

Here is an example of an WWF Acclaim NES game in 1989 & an WWF LJN NES game in 1990 Shocked

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Acclai10

BrandontheFigureFreak
Deep Sea Diver
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 3:27 pm

OK, so there is the history about the companies and since that is out the window now, we are going to get to know the first of two series' that LJN made and see the figures...1 series at a time so please bear with Me here.

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Wwf_wr10

These are the WWF Wrestling Superstars, the most classic, most iconic and most sought after by wrestling collectors. These are must haves for any major collector IMO, even if you are not a wrestling fan or don't even know the great fun history of this great sport/business as a whole, a big time collector should at least have 1 of anyone of these figures within the entire series not only for it's unbelievable value but for the pure sake of a true 1980s collectible that represents one of the greatest aspects that the 80s and it's toys had to offer!

Here is some great vintage pics of promotional material that I have always loved to show you what grandeur that era really had 

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Ljn-ad11
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Ljn-ad10
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Ljn-ad12
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Ljn-ad11
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Ljn-to10
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Ljn-ca10

BrandontheFigureFreak
Deep Sea Diver
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 3:27 pm

So, not to long after "The Golden Era" had begun, during the start Vince McMahon or as I like to call him Vinnie Mac with his Titan Sports hence at the coliseum just was fresh of making the WWF from his daddy's WWWF, a more pro wrestling fed by the father to a more entertainment show by the son, (now keep in mind the majority of the public didn't know that Vinnie Mac owned the WWF till the early days of the Attitude era but I knew years before thanks to Pro Wrestling Illustrated!) The WWF was becoming larger than life and became part of one of the greatest times of the 80s and by 1984 it really rocked with Hulkmania after he left the AWA. With the WWF's first Wrestlemania and promoting other athletes, celebs & actors such as Mr. T to be a part of the main event, it was big enough right? WRONG! The WWF locked in a deal with LJN to make ultra realistic action figures of many of the main & lower card wrestlers within the roster plus managers and even certain personnel. These figures were rubber and sculpted greatly for the time. Collectors then and even to this very moment backed away from this concept due the lack of any articulation but as a kid and especially now this was never a big deal for Me, I wasn't that hard to please and I am still like that to this very moment! The scale was 8" but would vary depending on the character's size. Though many weren't real scale/real life size with each other as I prefer, the sizes are decent enough. This series ran from 1984 to 1989, from LJN's heyday to their very last day LITERATELY! When they went under, so did the line thus cancelling their entire toy division. Several of the last figures in the series are some of the most expensive and rarest figures of ever, all-time! So what happened after that for WWF figures? Well of course the WWF contracted Hasbro in very late 1989 and released their own great series of WWF figures in 1990 and why wouldn't they? Hasbro already had Sgt. Slaughter a part of their G.I. Joe series so it all made sense right? I have considered Hasbro like Acclaim when I was younger and really still think about it because if you look at their style, the products they made, the companies they took-over and so forth, their a lot alike IMO. More on the Hasbro stuff later on.

BrandontheFigureFreak
Deep Sea Diver
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 3:30 pm

Now the thing is, if you had seen & read My LJN debacle in My Vintage Wrestling Figure topic, you'll already know that I have regretted for decades not taking care of My figures and not being more serious about them when I was a little boy. I didn't wise up till I was about 8 in 1989 about how great these figures are not to mention how fun pro wrestling was in general. I loved wrestling since then and never, ever stopped! With with that out the door, I only have a handful of LJN WWF figures. So here they are with My commentary and special galleries!

The Iron Shiek: This legendary wrestler was My FIRST LJN WRESTLER EVER! My Grandma got Me him at Schnucks of all places but more on that later! Oh I loved that place and that neighborhood. I remember I was a foolish, dum@$$ kid then because I wasn't sure if I wanted him or not because of whatever stupid reason it was...I look back at that moment and I'm like, dude, I can't believe I was like that, this is not how I should be and I got change My ways about this stuff and quick too! Ranting over, his sculpting is great and his physique is great as well. This has always been My favorite ring attire for the Iron Sheik, the fact of the matter is, he hardly wore it yet LJN made this version and I'm glad of it! Oh, on his head, is My bite marks when I was really young, yeah, I know, I was a stupid 3/4 year old brat in 1984 Rolling Eyes The Iron Sheik is still active today!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 The_ir10

The Junk Yard Dog: My Mom got Me him at K-B Toys but more on that later. This JYD (R.I.P.) is a great figure. His body and likeness is spot on for the era. He has always been one of My favorite wrestling figures of all from any series & era. Unfortunately I have misplaced his dog collar & chain Rolling Eyes

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 The_ju10[/i]

Hulk Hogan vs. Big John Studd Thumb Wrestlers: I believe My Mom got Me them at Toy Chest across the street from Toys''R''Us. I played the heck outta these guys and its a shame I did and didn't take care of them. The bodies' and likenesses are fairly well done.

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Hulk_h28
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Hulk_h27

Now here is this, I had a long hiatus from not getting any LJN figures because of My foolish ways, I wised up as I saw an ad in Pro Wrestling Illustrated with so many great ones to order. So I asked My Grandma to get them for Me, I mean there was Ax of Demolition, Captain Lou Albano, White Shirt version of Hulk Hogan, Ted Arcidi, The Ultimate Warrior, The Warlord, The One Man Gang and Miss Elizabeth among others. Here is the two ads that was in the magazines I digged...look at the fun & coolness, I miss those timeless days and I want them back Crying or Very sad

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Ljn-ad10
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Ljn-se10

So she order Me what she could but we got the mail back and the bad news was they were completely out of stock never to get them back in and that was that, My time of getting more LJN WWF figures was over. Oh but wait, a few years later I say 1992/1993 Me at My Grandma went down the neighborhood looking at yard sales as We used to do because you never know what you'll find! I was like HOLY CRAP! They got WWF LJN!!!!!!! So she got'em for Me and here is whom they had!

Hillbilly Jim: He didn't have his hat but he was in fair condition. LJN made him really nice with a great likeness.

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Hillbi11

"The Immortal" Hulk Hogan: He was also in good condition but was missing his world championship title belt. I was really lucky that they had him. The likeness is great and every wrestling collections need at least one figure of Hulk Hogan!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Hulk_h29

"Macho Man" Randy Savage: Another surprise, they had The Macho Man! He was in fair condition. Like Hogan, any wrestling collection needs at least 1 Randy Savage!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 _macho10

Bendable Hillbilly Jim: This was a treat for Me because back then I didn't even know that LJN made bendable figures for the series Shocked He is basically the same mold as the much larger regular figure and he is in great condition!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Hillbi10

BrandontheFigureFreak
Deep Sea Diver
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 3:30 pm

OK, here we go further into the future Exclamation  Shocked

16" Hulk Hogan: Back in the mid 2000s, I was really heavy thinkin' about how I wanted the old
wrestling days back then so I got to thinkin' about how mad I was at Myself about the LJN era that I didn't do better about it. So, I didn't have a ton of money to start the collection up again so I wanted something from the line that I wanted before that would satisfy My impulse for the time being. So, on eBay, I found a decent version of the giant, 16" tall Hulk Hogan, a figure that eluded Me since I was a little boy. He was in great shape, had his shirt and even his WWF Championship! His paint & title was worn a bit and the shirt was a bit loose but I didn't care, I wanted him. I think he cost Me around $60 bucks, it may have been a bit lower or even a bit higher, whatever the case was he was worth it Exclamation  So, I asked My Grandma to see if she could touch him up for Me since she was still into hobby stuff (because I'm not good at that sort of thing at all) so she did and she did a terrific job at it. She painted his hair, eyebrows, mustache, head band, wrist tape, trunks, knee-pads and boots. She also painted the WWF title which I just love how she did it! She also put Velcro on his shirt as well. OK, take a look at the pics that I took as he is really special to Me...oh and keep in the mind, the classic book he is next too is about 14" to 15" tall!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Hulk_h12
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Hulk_h10
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Hulk_h11
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Hulk_h15
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Hulk_h14
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Hulk_h13

Ah, Hogan lookin' at himself in one of My favorite wrestling books of all time. Look for a possible showcase of it in the near future!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Hulk_h16

I decided to do this, I wasn't going to because I wanted it to be a BIG SURPRISE but I'm gonna spoil it with a rather large hint if you will...here is 1985's 16" LJN Hulkster compared to 1997's 14" Playmates The UndertakerShocked Yes, this is the same Playmates that makes the fun TMNT, back in 97 the had a very brief series of WWF figures of the last days of the 'New Generation" that were kinda on the strange side to be honest but they became one My faves among all of My wrestling figures. I have the entire collection will showcase then in time. Oh and by the way, this was the figure of The Phenom to fully detail his tattoos and he is electronic as well Shocked  

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Hulk_h33

BrandontheFigureFreak
Deep Sea Diver
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 3:32 pm

SPECIAL GALLERY!

The BLISTER CARDS! These are the babies that halted Me posting these wonderful history making figures for many months! It took Me a long time to find them is putting that very mildly to say the least Rolling Eyes Their the only two that I have and thank goodness I kept them in good shape. Here is a nice detailed look at their classic beauty from the front!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Card_111

Here is the back of The Iron Sheiks' card, see his cool bio and the figures in the series! I had always like the Andre the Giant with the Afro style hair but never got him. Looking at the pic has so much meaning and history, its so remarkable!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Card_210
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Card_310

Here is the JYD's card, he has a really god bio and you can tell he he came out later as there is many more superstars on the back, I would have loved that Jesse "The Body" Ventura & King Kong Bundy! Yes, they had a special point system and mail-aways and look at that year!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Card_510
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Card_610
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Card_710

The Price tags! Oh yes, I always look at old prices tags. Young collectors today has no clue how cool that was back then. The Iron Sheik was $7.99 @ Schnucks while JYD was only $6.99 at Kay-Bee! These guys were so cheap then, I miss it when you got great figures with decent blister cards and you didn't feel like you were buying the packaging and you felt that you got something special really worth more than what you paid for because it had meaning unlike today's offerings on the market IMO with theses insane prices where you are just basically paying for the packing and figures or even toy lines that has been produced by several different companies over the past 2 decades...I'm sorry but IMO it's just not the same anymore Rolling Eyes To think that these guys were that cheap, now their nearly worth gold on the secondary & third marketplaces...that's how special this WWF Series is Exclamation

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Card_410

Copyrights!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Copyri34
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Copyri32
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Copyri33
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Copyri35
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Copyri36
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Copyri38
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Copyri37

My FIRST 2 LJN Wrestlers!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 My_fir10

Hogan & Macho!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Hulk_h31

Hogan vs. The Iron Sheik!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Hulk_h30

Thumb wrestler Hogan vs. G.I. Joe's Sgt Slaughter (previously seen):

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Hulk_h32

LJN Group Shot!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Wwf_lj10

LJN Size Comparison: Here is Bendable Hillbilly Jim & JYD compared to G.I. Joe's previously presented in My topic The "Fridge" Perry (special appearance @ Wrestlemania 2) and  Sgt. Slaughter (former WWF Champion)!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Wwf_lj11

BrandontheFigureFreak
Deep Sea Diver
BrandontheFigureFreak

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 3:33 pm

SPECIAL BONUS SHOWCASE SECTION Exclamation

Andre the Giant by HG Toys: Here is an interesting story. I was on the hunt for WWF Hasbro figures
at Toy Chest, a big rival of Toys "R" Us at the time as they were right across the street from them! Anyway, this Andre the Giant Zipper Clip was in the wrestling figure isle loose, on the floor!! So I took it! Its the only time I ever saw this kind of figure in person. Well, finder's keepers Smile The odd situation is, this particular figure was during the time of the LJN's meaning since they stopped selling these years prior to when I found him in 1990 Shocked As I said previously, I had wanted the Afro-haired Andre and while this isn't that version, he still has all of that bushy hair so at least I got some kind of version like that of him then Very Happy

NOTE: I do have the recent Super7 "Afro-haired" Andre figure that I will showcase in time Surprised

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Andre_11

LJN vs. Hasbro!

As had mentioned earlier, after LJN was out of the picture and picked up by Acclaim, the WWF wasted no time at getting another company to make figures of their great talented roster and that was of course Hasbro and it seemed like the most obvious choice cause I had mentioned previously they already had Sgt. Slaughter a part of their G.I. Joe series so why wouldn't you sign them? The series would last from 1990 to 1994/1995 and would consist of most of the wrestling talent from the WWF's "Golden Era" to the early days of the WWF's "New Generation"! These would lack that classic toy feel that LJN had because these were plastic and had action features but they looked very realistic and were still amongst some of the most cherished and talked about action figure lines of the 90s never to be duplicated ever and became as famous & sought after as the WWF Wrestling Superstars series by LJN! Here is LJN Hulk Hogan from 1984 compared to Hasbro's Hulk Hogan version #2 from 1990...take a gander at that difference!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Ljn_ho10

A while back I had greatly showcased My entire WCW/World Championship Wrestling OSTM/Original San Francisco Toymakers collection that I may represent here once I get to the 90s. You can check out that awesome topic that I made as I featured many great vintage wrestling figures including My entire collection of My WCW figures by Galoob!

I have been thinking about it a lot lately and thought that is was really necessary. I decided to get out My LJNs as I felt I couldn't ignore these wonderful pieces of action figure goodness! I wanted to compare the WWF LJN figures with the WCW OSTM. Earlier in My VWFT, I was talking about how I believe that these figures were made and designed as a inspiration of those great classics of the 80s. I mean let's face it, they were the first true realistic wrestling figures in that era and still to this day are regarded as the most desired wrestling figures by collectors of that genre. IMO, any collector should want at least one of them whether or not they're a wrestling fan or even know whom they are simply because of the value point factor and the great classic/vintage history of them as a whole!

Here they are, it's 80s vs 90s, LJN Hulk Hogan & "Macho Man" Randy Savage compared to the OSTM Hulk Hogan & "Macho Man" Randy Savage Shocked

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Ljn_co10
My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Ljn_co11

The figures compared to one-another from both decades are clearly different scales altogether but now the important aspect for Me as you know is the scale and real heights issue. As realistic as the LJNs were at the time (heck, they still are), some wrestlers were larger than others that were the opposite in real life. Macho is actually bigger than Hogan were it differs significantly with the OSTM versions of these wrestling icons. I am always for accurate sizes over everybody being the same height and size. Another factor is the feel of these guys, these LJNs very rubbery as I have mentioned previously. The OSTM Hulkster is also but of a tighter rubber but still feels good however, the Savage version is really of a much harder materiel. Here they are together!

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Ljn_co12

One thing I have always said to Myself, I would ever win the lottery and be rich, I would get so much action figures that I missed out on decades ago when things were historic and I would try My hardest effort to get the entire collection of WWF LJN Wrestling Superstars including the ring...believe Me, I would do this within an instant Exclamation

So that is the conclusion of the LJN WWF Wrestling Superstars. that was a lot of work but man-o-man it was a ball to do though Wink I hope you have enjoyed this part learned some history about LJNSmile  Comments & questions please. Next up will be part 2 of My LJN showcase and that will be My ThunderCats collection!. Until then I'll see you around Cool

SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2021 3:34 pm

A lot of the figs pictured in that last ad are not listed on the order list. They skip a bunch of numbers! What’s up with that?

And who’s the babe, and why wasn’t she available?

PostSubject: Re: My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!   My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More! - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My VINTAGE Action Figure Collection: Gabara, The Mummy's Curse & More!
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: AMMO Commons :: Off Topic-
Jump to: