ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.

Go down 
+4
somekindajoe
Kimono Troop Command
Rogue-Trooper
signalman
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Rogue-Trooper
French Resistance
Rogue-Trooper

TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2021 12:51 pm

signalman wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but can you play DVDs on a BluRay player?

You can indeed ....and it should upscale the quality a bit too

I BLAME DAL lol!

Chris
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
AUSTRALIAN JUNGLE FIGHTER
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2021 11:12 pm

Currently watching "Warlords of Atlantis" (1987) and if like me you are a fan of miniatures and models rather than CGI then there's plenty to enjoy here. Yes, naturally there's the obligatory giant octopus, along with some sort of prehistoric plesiosaur like creature, ...and that's only the beginning!
Of course there's quite a bit of "bad science" involved with the open-bottomed diving bell apparatus descending to very great depths, oh and said octopus picking up the crew of the boat in its tentacles and taking them FAR below the ocean, but somehow they all manage to hold their breath and arrive on dry land in a cavern below, unaffected by the deep descent and pressure, ....but hey, this is a fantasy movie!
There are more monsters (would you expect less?) and even the long missing captain of the Mary Celeste makes an appearance!
Ripping conclusion of course, but lots of fun to observe the "special effects" used back then!

TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 M6bDP0

Last edited by LeStryge on Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2021 1:03 am

LeStryge wrote:
Currently watching "Warlords of Atlantis" (1987) and if like me you are a fan of miniatures and models rather than CGI....

Yeah, CGI just doesn't have the same "screen presence" as things did when the set designers actually built stuff:

TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 0022d46a_medium

Would this have been the best job in the world, or what?

TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Warlords-of-atlantis-behind-the-scenes

Plus... Doug McClure!

I've heard of Warlords but somehow I have never seen it. Must remedy that oversight soon!

(Sadly, all the currently available DVD versions are Region 2 only! The UK and Commonwealth have a much greater appreciation for classic films, it seems!)

LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2021 6:34 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
Would this have been the best job in the world, or what?

(Sadly, all the currently available DVD versions are Region 2 only! )

I have long wished to have worked on making screen models, despite some of your very finest work that had taken literally weeks subsequently being destroyed for the shot.
Of course your job would have become redundant with the beginning of CGI, but what fun it must have been.

I downloaded the movie for free @ Daily Motion, but due to some vagaries of recording it came in three minute instalments causing a momentary blip every now and then but nothing that was really annoying.
Quite acceptable def. too!
Regional Coding is now almost universally defeated anyway with the advent of All-Region players.

Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2021 8:53 pm

Doug McClure...you may remember him from such shows as being perpetually spoofed on The Simpsons...

Texas Rose!!! Wow is that ever nice! but looks just a tad too small for 1:6th, but still nice!!!

Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
Mountaineer
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2021 9:24 pm

Doug McClure....I remember him well. Very "B" movie actor. A lot of TV guest appearances also.
Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
Russian Infantry
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2021 10:09 pm

gibri wrote:
Doug McClure...you may remember him from such shows as being perpetually spoofed on The Simpsons...

lol! lol!

For us of a certain age he'll always be Trampas from the Virginian but I remember seeing one of his better B movies 'The land that time forgot' at the cinema.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2021 1:06 am

somekindajoe wrote:

For us of a certain age he'll always be Trampas from the Virginian but I remember seeing one of his better B movies 'The land that time forgot' at the cinema.

That’s right, Trampas! With James Drury as The Virginian.

I recall seeing one of McClure’s lesser grade “B” movies at the cinema: “Humanoids from the Deep.”

LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2021 3:29 am

These will give you some idea, ...because....."octopus!!!"

TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 B0mop0

TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 PZyuzm

TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 QG4X0Z

TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Isn2Fo

TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Bvl3d2

No Face Fan.

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2021 8:24 am

I’m starting to watch on YouTube the cartoon Extreme Ghostbusters.

No Face Fan.

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2021 8:00 am

Yesterday I watched Ghostbusters 1 & 2 and almost finished watching Ghostbusters from 2016.

No Face Fan.

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2021 2:38 pm

Just finished watching over the hedge. Yes it came out in 2006 but it still makes me laugh out loud.

Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2021 12:22 am

Your new name makes me think of a character from a series of B grade (C?) films made in the 70s or 80s featuring a character called the Toxic Avenger, Toxy for short...

To say they were bad would be an understatement, but they did leave an impression...

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
No Face Fan.
No Face Fan.

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2021 5:30 pm

Yesterday watched The Nut Job and earlier today watched The Nut Job 2.

No Face Fan.

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2021 1:02 pm

Just finished watching the animate movie Storks. I cried at the end lol.

LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2021 11:36 pm

We all know a few movies that "are so bad they're good" but here's one that is SO bad it's .....well frankly, in a class of its own.
I have just watched "THE GIANT CLAW".
(I said "The Craw, ...NOT The CRAW!". Maxwell Smart reference for those who enjoy weird humour, but that's not from THIS movie.)

Now to tell the truth the print was excellent, the acting certainly passable. (Well the actors managed to keep a straight face throughout which must have been highly difficult at times!) Cinematography etc. was also quite OK.
No, it was the Special Effects" Dept. that seriously came up wanting. Early in the movie you are only given a blurry glimpse of some shape in the sky buzzing past an aircraft.
NOT giving a clear view  was a wise move as it turns out.
You initially suspect it might be a UFO, which could have made for a better movie, but sadly it turns out worse, FAR worse than that.

You see the "monster" is actually some sort of giant bird. Well it bears a passing resemblance to a bird, but one that has been drawn by a three year old at pre-school. I kid you not, you will NEVER see a more horrendous effort at construction of a movie prop!
This makes all those men stomping around in rubber suits look like the work of Da Vinci!
Ray Harryhausen would probably die laughing!

It's got turkey feathers on its wings, bulging ping-pong ball eyes, and spring covered in fabric for a neck, goofy TEETH in its beak, (birds have teeth?), mad scientist hair sprouting off its head and giant claws of course. They are probably the most realistic thing about it.
It swoops about emitting ear-splitting shrieks, all without moving its beak of course and eats planes in flight and all the escaping parachutists.
Stop laughing! I'm NOT making this up I assure you!
At a couple of stages it even picks up and carries away an HO scale train set! By this stage you will be gasping in sheer disbelief! But wait, there's more! It perches on and destroys some Empire State looking skyscrapers as well!

Anyway, there is some scientific babble  between the cast and the scientist works out some sort of ray that will reverse the bird's polarity....or some such. I was too near hysterics at that stage to really keep up with the dialogue.
Anyway, "THE CRAW", ...sorry, "THE CLAW" is defeated and finally sinks into the ocean.
TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 N0B0ww

THE END!

TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 PU52Uj
Highly recommended.
Invite your most acerbic friends over, pour out the vodka shots and drink every time the bird appears!

Admin
SCU_HQ

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2021 3:41 am

The Giant Claw is, indeed, in a class by itself! It's a movie that takes at least a couple of laps around the so-bad-its-good-and-back-to-bad track.

I love Jeff Morrow's rugged he-man personification of an aviator and scientist! When he gets on the plane, sits down next to the babe, and starts hitting on her - it's priceless! Especially in today's era of, well, when you can't do things like that anymore.

TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Giant_claw_hit

The babe is none other than Mara Corday, whom I cannot help but think of as being the Unofficial Official Screen Siren of the AMMO forum, because her name appears prominently on a movie poster that is in the background of many of the major scenes Dal posts of the AMMO Arms.

TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Giant_claw_corday

There's also a scene, played in deadly earnest, in which Jeff Morrow makes sense of the apparently random locations of the attack by drawing a spiral instead of a straight line. The scene is presented in such a way that the audience is obviously supposed to be impressed by his genius, but somehow, despite the best efforts of the cast, it somehow comes across as... underwhelming.

Underwhelming... until we see the monster. Then, everything else about the movie glitters like diamonds in comparison.

I once read... let me see if I can find a source... that the cast had no idea what the special effects would be like, and Jeff Morrow, thinking it was going to be a fairly decent movie, attended the premiere, and ended up slinking out the back of the showing in shame.

"In Bill Warren’s definitive study of 1950s Science-Fiction films, Keep Watching the Skies, he relates a tale told to him by Jeff Morrow’s daughter. With the special effects farmed out to a Mexican company, there was never a cast viewing of the film after it was completed. Morrow lived in a small town, and the local theater would run the films of the town’s resident “movie star.” Morrow attended opening night, as was his habit, after which he’d hang around and talk with his neighbors. Well, needless to say, when the Claw made its first comical appearance on screen (again, the first time Morrow saw the special effects inserts), the audience started laughing. Morrow was so mortified by what he was acting terrified of on the screen that he slunk out of the theater and met his family in the parking lot when the movie was over, from whence he hastily retreated to his house." - Source: http://jabootu.net/?p=574

"[recalling the filming of and eventual audience reaction to The Giant Claw (1957)] We shot the film before we ever got a look at this monster that was supposed to be so terrifying. The producers promised us that the special effects would be first class. The director - Fred F. Sears - just told us, "All right, now you see the bird up there, and you're scared to death! Use your imagination." But the first time we actually got to see it was the night of the premiere. The audience couldn't stop laughing. We were up there on screen looking like idiots, treating this silly buzzard like it was the scariest thing in the world. We felt cheated, that's for sure, but they told us afterward that they just ran out of money. They couldn't afford anything but this stupid puppet. But it was just terrible. I was never so embarrassed in my whole life." - Source: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0607504/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

It should have been a good movie. The director, Fred F. Sears, directed what remains one of my all-time favorite films, Earth vs The Flying Saucers (which also features a rugged scientist with the hots for a science babe). Supporting actor Morris Ankrum pretty much defined my mental image of what a high-ranking military officer should look like. And you've got the necessary scene set in a science lab dressed in cast-offs from an electronics surplus warehouse where the entire cast assembles to brainstorm ideas... like, y'know, spirals.

TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Giant_claw_science

Yup, gotta love The Giant Claw - so bad it's good on so many levels, and yet so bad it's beyond bad, to the point where you feel sorry for the cast. If I had a zillion dollars, this is a movie I would pay to see re-edited. Not re-made, but restored with new special effects sequences (like they did with the original Star Trek a few years ago), using modern technology to make the monster as scary as it was originally intended to be.

Oh, and, Giant Claw star Mara Corday, the Unofficial Official Screen Siren of AMMO, was a Playboy Playmate (Miss October 1958), was married to actor Richard "Nanny & The Professor" Long, was a sister-in-law to actor Marshall "Daktari" Thompson, was featured in the iconic "Make My Day" sequence in Clint Eastwood's Sudden Impact, and at age 91 lives in Santa Monica, California.

Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2021 4:44 am

Ok, I'm gonna just say this, "dead spy scrawls"

Embarassed tongue Suspect
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
LeStryge

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2021 7:24 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
this is a movie I would pay to see re-edited. Not re-made, but restored with new special effects sequences (like they did with the original Star Trek a few years ago), using modern technology to make the monster as scary as it was originally intended to be.
I have long dreamed of the producers of "Jaws" (the first one!) re-releasing the movie with just the shark re-done by CGI with something a little more realistic than the dead log pulled through the water. Doesn't even move its tail to swim?

Don't for a moment think that it wouldn't re-take millions at box office if this could be done.
The advertising blurb almost writes itself!

gibri wrote:
Ok, I'm gonna just say this, "dead spy scrawls"
Ah yes, ...Season One, ...Episode 18, ....and with Leonard Nimoy too! cheers

No Face Fan.

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2021 10:02 am

Last night watched 50 First Dates with my godmother. I thought it was really funny.

No Face Fan.

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2021 12:48 pm

Yesterday I watched Scooby-Doo Meets the Boo Brothers. I thought having the Boo Brothers in the movie wasn’t needed in my opinion. I also watched Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School. Also watched Scooby-Doo! and the Reluctant Werewolf. Watching this movie reminded me of the cartoon series Wacky Races but with horror monsters instead. I also watched Scooby-Doo! in Arabian Nights. I didn’t enjoy this I have to admit.

No Face Fan.

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2021 3:37 pm

This morning I finished of watching Scooby-Doo! Camp Scare. Then I watched Scooby-Doo! Shaggy's Showdown. I really really enjoyed this movie. I also have watched Scooby-Doo! & Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

No Face Fan.

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2021 8:36 am

At night times I have been starting to watch Biker Mice From Mars on YouTube.

No Face Fan.

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2021 12:36 am

I have just finished watching the live action Beauty and the Beast.

No Face Fan.

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2021 5:40 pm

I’m starting to watch a cartoon called As Told By Ginger before I go to bed.

PostSubject: Re: TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.   TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TV programs, Movies, comics and Books discussion thread.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next