ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool

Go down 
5 posters

When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool
1. No - hate it. Never want to see it.
When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool Vote_lcap0%When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
2. Sometimes, when it helps tell the story. But very minimal, like a muzzle flash, or blood on knife
When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool Vote_lcap20%When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool Vote_rcap
 20% [ 1 ]
3. Only to correct exposure, brightness.
When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool Vote_lcap60%When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool Vote_rcap
 60% [ 3 ]
4. A lot, to correct photographic mistakes
When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool Vote_lcap0%When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
5. all the time, as I think it enhances the image.
When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool Vote_lcap20%When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool Vote_rcap
 20% [ 1 ]
6. All my images are completely done by computer software as in Daz 3d, etc..
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool Empty
PostSubject: When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool   When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2021 4:51 pm

When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool Empty
PostSubject: Re: When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool   When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2021 5:01 pm

Yes...
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool   When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2021 11:42 pm

Photography has always involved editing and photo manipulation and since long before the days of digital photography. Does anyone think Ansel Adams didn't heavily manipulate his prints in the darkroom to get exactly the right tonality in his B&W landscapes? Does anyone think that the the women who appeared in publications like Playboy had absolutely perfect skin without a blemish, birthmark or mark anywhere on her skin? Does anyone think that advertising photos aren't heavily retouched? Think again.

Back to top Go down
Rogue-Trooper
Green Beret
Rogue-Trooper

PostSubject: Re: When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool   When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2021 5:51 am

I sometimes use it to correct the brightness etc, but I prefer practical effects rather than digital effects.  After all its supposed to be a photo comp...not a "let's see how much photoshop we can use" comp....isnt it ? scratch

Chris

Last edited by Rogue-Trooper on Fri May 21, 2021 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool   When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2021 3:35 pm

Kimono Troop Command wrote:
Photography has always involved editing and photo manipulation and since long before the days of digital photography. Does anyone think Ansel Adams didn't heavily manipulate his prints in the darkroom to get exactly the right tonality in his B&W landscapes?  Does anyone think that the the women who appeared in publications like Playboy had absolutely perfect skin without a blemish, birthmark or mark anywhere on her skin? Does anyone think that advertising photos aren't heavily retouched?  Think again.  

That's a bit deep Gary for a simple fun poll question lol!
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool   When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2021 5:00 pm

Does anyone think Ansel Adams didn't heavily manipulate his prints in the darkroom to get exactly the right tonality in his B&W landscapes?  

I remember stumbling across a documentary program on television many years ago, before I was even in to photography to any extent, in which Ansel Adams was talking about his "photo creation" technique. While I was not seriously in to photography myself, I knew of Ansel Adams as a landscape photographer, and I found the program interesting. I remember feeling surprised and disappointed, a disappointment that has troubled me to this day, to learn to what extent Adams manipulated his prints to achieve the artistic effect he wanted. Later, when I was taking a course in photography at university, one of the instructors, a long-time commercial photographer, claimed Adams inserted the moon in to some of his photographs. He said that many of those "dramatic moonrise" photos Adams is so famous for are faked. They are composite photos. I have not been able to find definitive corroboration for this claim, but, if true, I doubt it is something that the caretakers of the Ansel Adams legacy would care to have widely known.

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool   When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2021 9:30 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
Does anyone think Ansel Adams didn't heavily manipulate his prints in the darkroom to get exactly the right tonality in his B&W landscapes?  

I remember stumbling across a documentary program on television many years ago, before I was even in to photography to any extent, in which Ansel Adams was talking about his "photo creation" technique. While I was not seriously in to photography myself, I knew of Ansel Adams as a landscape photographer, and I found the program interesting. I remember feeling surprised and disappointed, a disappointment that has troubled me to this day, to learn to what extent Adams manipulated his prints to achieve the artistic effect he wanted. Later, when I was taking a course in photography at university, one of the instructors, a long-time commercial photographer, claimed Adams inserted the moon in to some of his photographs. He said that many of those "dramatic moonrise" photos Adams is so famous for are faked. They are composite photos. I have not been able to find definitive corroboration for this claim, but, if true, I doubt it is something that the caretakers of the Ansel Adams legacy would care to have widely known.

It sounds like you were talking to someone who was jealous of Ansel Adams's fame. Adams himself was for most of his life a commercial photographer incidentally. His contribution to black and white photography was through his invention if you will. of the "Zone" system in which he divided tonality into ten different "zones" ranging from pure white to pure black and he applied it to all three stages of the photo process: the metering and shooting of the photo of the image, the processing of the negative and creation of the print. He liked to create images with a full tonal range and it's why his images look the way they do. To this day, many Adam's wannabe's go to the same GPS coordinates Adams was at to shoot a photo, but they never succeed in producing the same image because only Ansel Adams was Ansel Adams. What matters is the beauty of the final print.

Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool   When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2021 1:55 am

He liked to create images with a full tonal range and it's why his images look the way they do.

Yes, Adams was creating "HDR" (High Dynamic Range) photos manually long before digital processing came along.

I appreciate that he was an absolute master of every aspect of the photographic process, trying to emulate as closely as possible the both the appearance and the "feeling" of "being there" as he could through the photographic medium.

At the time I saw that documentary film, decades ago, what he did seemed like "cheating." Later, however, as I became more aware of the limitations of the photographic medium, I came to appreciate what he was doing with his extensive post-processing during development and printing.

PostSubject: Re: When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool   When you are creating images, either Random, Competition, or for stories, to add to the forum, do you include Image Editing? For example, Photoshop, Gimp, or other Image Editing tool Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1