ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ernie Pile Out the Box

Go down 
+3
signalman
BAMComix
Professor Gangrene Fan
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

Ernie Pile Out the Box  Empty
PostSubject: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2021 12:10 am

Hi all ,
             I have looked for this G.I Joe on and off for years , and wanted to own one , but they tended to be more than I wanted to pay when I searched , and I kind of forgot about looking for one . I recently see one pop up on eBay when searching for something else , the shipping from the U.S to here in the U.K brought a purchase from me to another halt . I asked my friend in the U.S to keep an eye out for any going cheap , and within a couple of weeks this landed on my door , he had gifted it to me bounce bounce bounce  I am so very grateful to him . Sadly not a member here .

Anyway here is Ernie out of the box . He comes with some great accessories , but I am going to add one or two bits to his set , and I am in two minds to try and make a bit more realistic version of him  , but he is a cool figure in his own right , and I can still appreciate the toy ish looking figures .

Ernie Pile Out the Box  1-P1130432

Ernie Pile Out the Box  2-P1130412

Ernie Pile Out the Box  3-P1130406

Ernie Pile Out the Box  4-P1130417

Ernie Pile Out the Box  5-P1130418

Ernie Pile Out the Box  6-P1130425

Ernie Pile Out the Box  7-P1130421

Ernie Pile Out the Box  8-P1130416

BAMComix and TNshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2021 12:18 am

It’s nice to meet Ernie and that he’s out of his out box. Just brilliant to see. I’m really liking Ernie’s head sculpt. I agree with you Chip on that he comes with some great accessories. What kind of extra one or two bits you going to add to his set Chip?

Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2021 12:27 am

Thanks Alex ,will do some pics and history of him soon hopefully . At the moment I have sorted out a folding chair , a fitting camera , a Coffee jug , a mess kit and mug .

Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2021 12:44 am

Great figure, Chip, and kudos to your friend for helping you to get it. I think one of Hasbro's better efforts. I also understand your dilemma whether to try to make it more realistic or keep in the toy-like state. I actually don't think you could go wrong either way.

but whatever you do, don't let him go to the PTO!!! Shocked Evil or Very Mad Shocked

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2021 12:56 am

Yes indeed, a really interesting headsculpt and very cool accessories as well.
I too search for some vintage stuff, but the shipping invariably puts the kybosh on the deal.

I am always pleased to note the lengths they will go to and generosity of fellow fans when it comes to helping each other out.
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2021 7:44 am

What a fantastic figure chip! He looks like e comes with some awesome stuff too! bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2021 8:12 am

Okay, with just about everybody here making some sort of a "mini-me", I have toyed with the idea myself.
Despite searching far and wide, I had yet to see any headsculpt that even approaches resembling a "me".
That is until now when I saw this fellow.
Okay I have hair, (well more than this bloke) and my eyes are green which could easily be painted, but the rest of the face looks a dead-ringer!
Now I've just GOT to find me one of these somewhere!
Back to top Go down
signalman
Painted Head (Hard Hands)
signalman

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2021 10:31 am

Is it just me, or does the head sculpt look like Doctor Smith from Lost in Space? (the TV series, not the film).
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2021 1:35 pm

Thanks for commenting on Ernie all .

He does come up on eBay quite often Barry , it`s just a question of what your willing to pay . I hope you go forward with it . I got a mini me in a box , I am just not happy with any sculpts I found yet .

Yes I can see where your coming from with Doctor Smith Glen .

Your going to have to educate me on what PTO means Gilbri , is it something to do with the Pacific war ?

Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2021 3:57 pm

Yeah, sorry Chip -- Pacific Theater of Operations.

That's where he was assigned after he returned home from Europe.
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2021 4:56 pm

Hey Chip! Great find. Looks good.
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2021 12:08 am

I thought so Gilbri , I believe that is where he was killed too .

Thanks for the comment Gary .

Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2021 12:21 am

LeStryge wrote:

Now I've just GOT to find me one of these somewhere!

Search for: GI Joe Ernie Pyle (note the spelling)

I might need to keep an eye out for a good price, myself, because of the excellent accessories.

I once visited the gravesite of the real Ernie Pyle at Punchbowl Cemetery on Oahu in Hawaii.

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2021 4:37 am

signalman wrote:
Is it just me, or does the head sculpt look like Doctor Smith from Lost in Space? (the TV series, not the film).
Good Grief! Now I look like Zachary Smith?
Well all I can say is that if I do, no one has ever been game to mention it!

Well I went out and spent a packet on a Ernie Pyle from USA for myself.
Now I won't say it was cheap because it wasn't, but the one I bought was around $35 US cheaper than all the others that were on offer, but of course it's that damned shipping that REALLY blows out the cost.
Anyway, I got me one.
Now the big decision is whether I can bear to re-configure it as a mini-me, or will I be too fascinated with him and his WWII accessories to do such a thing?
Maybe, ....maybe I'll just transfer his uniform to another figure and then I'd still have a WWII war correspondent although of course it won't be Ernie Pyle?

Last edited by LeStryge on Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gibri
Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2021 6:22 am

Chip wrote:
I thought so Gilbri , I believe that is where he was killed too .

Thanks for the comment Gary .

Yes, that's right, a very sad ending to a brilliant career. Gunned down by a Japanese machine gunner if I recall correctly. Not sure why I was reluctant to say it. When I googled it, they even had a photo of his dead body which I found a little disquieting to say the least.

Thanks Chip,
Brian
cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2021 8:06 am

LeStryge wrote:
signalman wrote:
Good Grief! Now I look like Zachary Smith?
Well all I can say is that if I do, no one has ever been game to mention it!

Well I went out and spent a packet on a Ernie Pyle from USA for myself.
Now I won't say it was cheap because it wasn't, but the one I bought was around $35 US cheaper than all the others that were on offer, but of course it's that damned shipping that REALLY blows out the cost.
Anyway, I got me one.
Now the big decision is whether I can bear to re-configure it as a mini-me, or will I be too fascinated with him and his WWII accessories to do such a thing?
Maybe, ....maybe I'll just transfer his uniform to another figure and then I'd still have a WWII war correspondent although of course it won't be Ernie Pyle?

Well you did say you had more hair than that sculpt didn`t you Barry ? Very Happy

I have similar dilemmas , it is a fitting tribute figure in it`s own right , but the urge to tweak him is quite strong .

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2021 7:37 am

So my Ernie Pyle figure arrived yesterday, in perfect condition thankfully, specially after the MASSIVE additional shipping figure I had to pay eBay's Global Rip-Off.....sorry, make that Global Shipping Programme .

Have to say that overall he's quite an impressive set, with high class well-made clothing and some great accessories, (see Chip's pics above), however I was a little disappointed upon undressing him to find that they didn't so much as give him even a plain white T-shirt to wear under his jacket, just a camo cravat sort of thing round the neck.
A white T would allow you to pose him in a more casual way with his jacket unzipped as he probably would have done to sit down to type his reports.

Had to undress the bloke because the figure itself is going to serve as the base for my Mini-Me, but upon viewing the headsculpt up close, it's going to take a fair bit of effort to get an approximation of my dial.
The lower face is OK but the upper and the hair will need some serious work.

I will most likely transfer all of Ernie's uniform to a spare MAM or Pawtucket figure to make up a generic "war correspondent", although I really don't think I quite have Chip's amazing skills when it comes to scratch building all those marvelous accessories he does that make his figures spring so vividly to life.

Anyway, I'll try some sort of modelling compound and then paint to do the hair as I'm sure the flocking look will not represent my particular style.
Eye colour of course is easy to change, ...if the hand stays steady! (Lay off those Mai Tais perhaps? drunken drunken drunken )

General clothing has all been ordered but who knows how long it will take to get here.
Bought a Ken Doll "tiki-shirt" but upon seeing the large musculature of this figure I have real fears it may prove too small.

Definitely a work in progress for me, but if you are interested in purchasing your own Ernie Pyle I can definitely recommend the product.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2021 5:57 am

Note: the Ernie Pyle figure has really scrawny legs and arms....! Rolling Eyes
This is a problem for my re-purposing.
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2021 8:50 am

LeStryge wrote:
Note: the Ernie Pyle figure has really scrawny legs and arms....!  Rolling Eyes
This is a problem for my re-purposing.

If he’ll be wearing a uniform or clothes, wrap the body in Teflon tape.

Or… get him a male seamless body! Twisted Evil

Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2021 2:34 pm

My Ernie came on a super articulated Joe , not sure so much now , but these were very sort after a few years back .

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2021 11:10 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
If he’ll be wearing a uniform or clothes, wrap the body in Teflon tape.
That would be a solution, but anyone who knows me also knows I am invariably wearing shorts. I virtually live in shorts so any Mini-Me will have to be so dressed.
Without sounding vain, I was gifted with strong musculature in my legs. They just came with the body. I did nothing to develop them at all.
Back when we were younger and used to care about such things, I was often approached by complete strangers in the gym to ask what my leg routine was. Don't think they believed me when I said I didn't do anything.
( In truth I was far too busy trying to work on my damn arms which I didn't come by so easily. )

SCU_HQ wrote:
Or… get him a male seamless body! Twisted Evil
Now you're are being evil Dave! lol!
The body has to fit in with the rest of my collection.

Chip wrote:
My Ernie came on a super articulated Joe , not sure so much now , but these were very sort after a few years back .
Yes, the Ernie body is "super-articulated" as you say, it's just that the limbs are very thin.
I'm not at all confident in attempting any Frankenstein-ian transplanting, so I may just have to live with it or buy some of those pull-on false legs I've seen on eBay , but that's becoming perilously close to going "seamless" as they would cover up the knee articulations.

Sure I want to have a degree of likeness of course, but still maintain the "toy" look so that the figure will play well with all my other MAMs, otherwise I'd just go and have a 3D print made of myself.
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2021 12:14 am

I don`t see why the Sculpt wouldn't fit a MAM body or one of the 21st Super soldier bodies for that matter , It`s no big deal in changing the head really Barry , you just have to get it hot so you can manipulate it . I have to say though I have found the MAM and 21st heads easier to get off than I have to get back on . I think this would be your best route if your looking for more Muscle . Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2021 12:21 am

Chip wrote:
I don`t see why the Sculpt wouldn't fit a MAM body or one of the 21st Super soldier bodies for that matter , It`s no big deal in changing the head really Barry
Yes, a good suggestion Chip, ....unfortunately I have just completed moulding and painting the hair on the head and I don't think it would survive heating in hot water....or a hair dryer either. Should have thought about a body change much earlier I guess.
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 30, 2021 12:49 am

Never mind , not worth risking the work you already done .

PostSubject: Re: Ernie Pile Out the Box    Ernie Pile Out the Box  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ernie Pile Out the Box
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: G.I.Joe - America's Movable Fighting Man - 1964 -1969 / Adventure Team 1970 - 1976 :: Joe Collections-
Jump to: