ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

BILL MAULDIN

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
LeStryge
AUSTRALIAN JUNGLE FIGHTER
LeStryge

BILL MAULDIN Empty
PostSubject: BILL MAULDIN   BILL MAULDIN Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2021 11:48 pm

While researching Ernie Pyle, I happened across a wartime cartoonist's work that somehow I was unfamiliar with.
If you too are not aware of the truly wonderful work of American editorial cartoonist BILL MAULDIN then take some time and Google the images. Sharply drawn, often satirical, they are a massive body of very impressive observations and and an interesting commentary on army life.
Mauldin completely avoids "rah-rah" jingoism but still manages to be patriotic. There are just so many great ones, often featuring his two characters of Willie and Joe trying their best to get through a bad situation, but I can only post one here.
Do yourself a favour and take a look at this double Pulitzer Prize winning artist's work!

Paul Mauldin (October 29, 1921 – January 22, 2003)

BILL MAULDIN KR6zJ8

Admin
SCU_HQ

BILL MAULDIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: BILL MAULDIN   BILL MAULDIN Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 1:14 am

Bill Mauldin was once a near-household name here in the States. When I was a kid he was still fairly well known. But as "The Greatest Generation" slips away, so too do the memories of Bill Mauldin... and Ernie Pyle... and even of another once-famous cartoonist who tried hard to keep the memories of the WWII era alive, "Peanuts" creator Charles Schultz.

Nearly every 11 November, Armistice Day (or Veterans Day here in the States), Schultz would offer a comic strip in which WWI Flying Ace Snoopy (sometimes in the guise of a WWII veteran) would head over to Bill Mauldin's house to swap stories and "quaff a few root beers."

BILL MAULDIN Rootbeer1

In retrospect, it appears that even Schultz knew that he was fighting a losing battle when it came to keeping the torch burning for those from a previous era:

BILL MAULDIN Rootbeer2

BILL MAULDIN Rootbeer3

Because of the influence of the "Peanuts" strips when I was a more youthful youth, scarcely an Armistice Day goes by when I do not, myself, quaff a root beer in remembrance of Mauldin, Pyle, and Schultz, and to all those of that and previous generations.

I used to have some older online acquaintances who were fans of both Schultz and Mauldin. On 11 November we would exchange messages about "quaffing root beers." I think some of the old timers appreciated that someone younger than they understood the reference. Sadly, I've been online long enough that a number of my early contacts have joined Mauldin and Schultz on the Other Side.

Once in a while, I work a "quaff a root beer with Bill Mauldin" reference in to one of my own silly photo-stories... for my own amusement, mostly, because nobody gets it anymore.

Type a search like this in to an Internet browser image search to see more Peanuts-Mauldin strips. Not everyone is a Snoopy fan, I know. But some of the strips are good for a giggle, and others... can bring a tear to the eye:

"bill mauldin" schultz snoopy "root beer"

Mountaineer
Kimono Troop Command

BILL MAULDIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: BILL MAULDIN   BILL MAULDIN Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 3:43 am

Oh, I still get the references.
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

BILL MAULDIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: BILL MAULDIN   BILL MAULDIN Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 3:46 am

Kimono Troop Command wrote:
Oh, I still get the references.  

But can you handle your root beer? drunken

Mountaineer
Kimono Troop Command

BILL MAULDIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: BILL MAULDIN   BILL MAULDIN Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 3:48 am

As long as there's a bit of whisky in it.
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
LeStryge

BILL MAULDIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: BILL MAULDIN   BILL MAULDIN Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 5:14 am

After three extensive trips to the USA, I am still in ignorance as to what the hell actually is "root beer" !
I know what sarsaparilla is,.....(apart from disgusting), and many of the American brewed ale beers, but root beer is still a mystery.
Is it what the rest of the world calls ginger beer? Question Question Question

Armoured Car Commander
TNshooter

BILL MAULDIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: BILL MAULDIN   BILL MAULDIN Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 5:51 am

LeStryge,

Root Beer is not beer. Why do they call it that? I have no idea.

Root Beer is a soda. As far as I know it is not made with roots, and it's not a beer. It doesn't have any alcohol.

It is a very tart and yet sweet soda. We have candy here that's called Sweet Tarts. It's kinda the same thing.

Kinda like sweet and sour chicken chinese food. I don't like any of the three. Root Beer is the worst. Some
people love it, I had a former boss that said she wanted a second tap in her house, which dispensed Root
Beer. I'm willing to try anything once. I tried Root Beer and hated it. Haven't had it since.

I once tried sushi, that had octopus and roe. The roe was like eating a spoonful of salt. But I didn't dislike
them as much as root beer.

If you are looking for a beer or an ale, you won't find root beer in a pub. But you can get it at any convenient
store in the soda section. Beside Coca-Cola and Pepsi.

If you like sweet and tart at the same time, you might like it.

Daryl

Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

BILL MAULDIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: BILL MAULDIN   BILL MAULDIN Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 5:54 am

LeStryge wrote:
After three extensive trips to the USA, I am still in ignorance as to what the hell actually is "root beer" !
I know what sarsaparilla is,.....

Knowing what sarsaparilla is puts you ahead of probably 99.5% of the American public. When did you make your trips to the States? When you rode with Billy the Kid, Jesse James, and Butch Cassidy?

Root beer is not beer. It is not alcholic. Originally brewed from a mix of naturally occurring herbs and spices, including sassafras and sometimes licorice, today it is usually made with artificial flavors and sugar. Lots and lots of sugar.

The best readily available American root beer is A&W, brewed fresh daily at A&W chain restaurants. Ideally it would be served in a frosted glass mug, but few A&W restaurants do this anymore. A&W is available in cans and bottles in markets, but it is best served "on tap" at an A&W outlet (found in most states).

Popular bottled and canned brands include Dad's, Hires, Mug, and Barq's.

Root beer is most frequently used as the base for a treat known as a root beer float: a tall glass or mug of root beer with a few scoops of vanilla ice cream added. Being familiar with old American movies as you are, I'm sure you've heard root beer floats mentioned.

Interestingly, an internet search just now lists root beer among "things you cannot find in Australia."

Mountaineer
Kimono Troop Command

BILL MAULDIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: BILL MAULDIN   BILL MAULDIN Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 6:16 am

There's an A&W close to where I live, an they still serve the root beer in a chilled mug. This being said, it's too sweet for my tastes as a regular thing and the sort of thing I would drink if there is no Coke, Pepsi, Seven-Up, Ginger-Ale, or Mountain Dew available.
Back to top Go down
LeStryge
LeStryge

BILL MAULDIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: BILL MAULDIN   BILL MAULDIN Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 6:48 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
Knowing what sarsaparilla is puts you ahead of probably 99.5% of the American public. When did you make your trips to the States? When you rode with Billy the Kid, Jesse James, and Butch Cassidy?
Well I did think I might be "getting on a bit" after my pet T-Rex died of extinction..... Rolling Eyes
SCU_HQ wrote:
Interestingly, an internet search just now lists root beer among "things you cannot find in Australia."
And it would appear that Australia shows remarkable taste by NOT selling that stuff. Bring on the Vegemite!
I learned early on that Americans in general have an incredible liking for sweetness. Just about all USA things are disgustingly sugary to a foreigner's taste.
As a mixologist with a huge collection of Tiki cocktail recipes, most of which were devised in the USA, I have had to significantly reduce the sugar content here so that people will actually enjoy the drink.
That, or hand out syringes filled with insulin to combat any instant diabetic seizures, ....and a quick mouthwash of fluoride to save the teeth enamel.
As somebody who simply cannot abide the ubiquitous Coca Cola due to its excessive sweetness, I think I'll give root beer a miss.
Does not sound like it would be my cup of tea at all!

The root beer float has its parallel here in Australia where we were served what was called a "spider".
Same idea. A carbonated soft drink, (usually red "Creaming Soda" as it was called) put in a tall glass with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream added, although I think you might be hard pressed to find it served anywhere here now, or even a kid who actually knew what it was.

BTW, to round out my education, what colour was root beer?

PS
By the way Dave, apropos your remark about my having knowledge of sarsaparilla, I found THIS below on the net.

Question: Is root beer the same as sarsaparilla?
Sarsaparilla root is an ingredient used in both a root beer and sarsaparilla beverage. The difference is that the sarsaparilla drink only contains one flavouring ingredient – the sarsaparilla itself. A root beer is more of an adulterated version of the sarsaparilla root beer.

Admin
SCU_HQ

BILL MAULDIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: BILL MAULDIN   BILL MAULDIN Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 9:46 am

Good root beer is a lovely shade of translucent dark amber bordering on brown. Not quite as dark as Guinness stout, but with a similarly creamy head.

Mountaineer
Kimono Troop Command

BILL MAULDIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: BILL MAULDIN   BILL MAULDIN Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 5:21 pm

i'd say it's roughly the same colour as Newcastle Brown ale...perhaps a shade lighter, but I'd have to do a side by side comparison to be sure.

Instead of spa, we'll drink brown ale
And pay the reckoning on the nail;
No man for debt shall go to jail
From Garryowen in glory.
Back to top Go down
SCU_HQ
Admin
SCU_HQ

BILL MAULDIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: BILL MAULDIN   BILL MAULDIN Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 6:26 pm

Kimono Troop Command wrote:
i'd say it's roughly the same colour as Newcastle Brown ale...

Sublime nectar of the gods, that Newcastle Brown Ale!

Mountaineer
Kimono Troop Command

BILL MAULDIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: BILL MAULDIN   BILL MAULDIN Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2021 7:35 pm

One of my faves, actually, along with Stella Artois.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BILL MAULDIN Empty
PostSubject: Re: BILL MAULDIN   BILL MAULDIN Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BILL MAULDIN
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: AMMO Commons :: Off Topic-
Jump to: