ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

" Despatches " . Michael Herr

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

" Despatches " . Michael Herr  Empty
PostSubject: " Despatches " . Michael Herr    " Despatches " . Michael Herr  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2021 10:05 pm

Michael Herr , was a writer , he is mostly remembered for his excellent book Despatches , but he was also involved with the Vietnam films , " Apocalypse Now " .  And that great movie " Full Metal Jacket "  . There are not a great deal of photos of Michael during his time in Vietnam , and his Vietnam war based book " Despatches  " was not published until 1977 . He spent a good deal of time at Khe sahn , which suffered very heavy artillery shelling , and was very often probed by the NVA . He was well liked by the Grunts . When in the rear he would often " Acquire " C-rat tins of fruit , these were sort after and a favourite with the troops , and the odd bottle of whiskey would guarantee him a place in a bunker , along with a clean stretcher or blanket to lay on , and of course the stories . He mentions how he was so often offered or handed military wear such as a Jacket or helmet if he had forgotten his own .
    He was also well acquainted with many well know photographers  / Journalists , such as Larry Burrows , who he is pictured with here . And also Tim Page , Danna Stone and Sean Flynn . Out of all those named , only him and Tim made it through the war . Michael died quite recently in 2016 .
    I think Michael is dressed here for less likely combat areas . And I hope to also set him up in more military attire in the future for different scenarios . Here is a link to a Photo I based My take on Michael from .

https://www.christopheloiron.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/michael-herr-with-larry-burrows.jpg

" Despatches " . Michael Herr  1_P1130616

" Despatches " . Michael Herr  2_P1130569

" Despatches " . Michael Herr  3_P1130591

" Despatches " . Michael Herr  4_P1130594

" Despatches " . Michael Herr  5_P1130626

" Despatches " . Michael Herr  6_P1130634

" Despatches " . Michael Herr  7_P1130633

" Despatches " . Michael Herr  8_P1130620

" Despatches " . Michael Herr  9_P1130568

" Despatches " . Michael Herr  10_P1130602

" Despatches " . Michael Herr  11_P1130605

" Despatches " . Michael Herr  12_P1130640

" Despatches " . Michael Herr  13_P1130643

" Despatches " . Michael Herr  14_P1130568

BAMComix and TNshooter like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: " Despatches " . Michael Herr    " Despatches " . Michael Herr  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2021 12:09 am

More of your excellence and attention to detail Chip!
That "baby-faced" headsculpt looks so realistic.
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: " Despatches " . Michael Herr    " Despatches " . Michael Herr  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2021 12:22 am

You nailed this one, Chip! All that effort in to finding the right shirt, hat, and boots really paid off!

At first glance, I thought that final B&W pic was the reference pic you used!

What a find with that head sculpt! Really catches the expression in the reference pic. Great eyeglasses, too.

The Burrows fig in the background really brings the scene to as-seen-in-the-news life! Great set-up, great attention to deal!

Your best keep getting better!

Do you have a technique for tracking down head sculpts that look so much like these historical persons?

Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: " Despatches " . Michael Herr    " Despatches " . Michael Herr  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2021 12:54 am

Cheers Barry and Dave , most kind .

I don`t always find the head sculpt lookalikes I want , and it often puts a halt to some figures I would like to create . I am still looking for a couple of sculpts to carry on my Full Metal Jacket theme for example . Sometimes I just come across them pure luck , I re-painted Larry`s hair , and once the specs were added he became a good likeness , you kind of have to look beyond sometimes , the Sean Flynn sculpt was the same , re painting the hair and mustach . It does often take a lot of searching I must confess . I also have a biscuit tin of head sculpts , now and then I rummage through them and some memory of a photo or something will just click .

I really appreciate the kind comments , thank you . Wink

Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: " Despatches " . Michael Herr    " Despatches " . Michael Herr  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2021 7:35 am

Nice one Chip! He looks brilliant/ All that waiting paid off while the correct parts made their way to you. He looks great in the recreated b/w pic too! Excellent mate bounce
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: " Despatches " . Michael Herr    " Despatches " . Michael Herr  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2021 1:41 pm

Many thanks Dal .

Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: " Despatches " . Michael Herr    " Despatches " . Michael Herr  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2021 5:13 pm

I would like to echo what Dave said.

That's a tremendous likeness to him! And with Larry Burrows!

I have heard of Burrows, but didn't know what he looked like until
I saw the photo you posted.

I too wonder how you find head sculpts that look like the people
you make in figure form!

That is a great likeness of Herr!

Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: " Despatches " . Michael Herr    " Despatches " . Michael Herr  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2021 7:44 pm

Thanks very much Daryl , so nice to find people who appreciate and comment on the Figures .

PostSubject: Re: " Despatches " . Michael Herr    " Despatches " . Michael Herr  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

" Despatches " . Michael Herr
Page 1 of 1