ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting

Go down 
+3
Kimono Troop Command
BAMComix
TNshooter
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ZeroDelta
Painted Head (Hard Hands)
ZeroDelta

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2024 7:00 pm

Will it ever be revealed, what happened to Doctor X?

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
ZeroDelta
ZeroDelta

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2024 4:19 pm

I have been thinking. As Kimono Troop Command said in the OSF threat, that things started out as a post apocalyptic setting, I was reminded of the Cyberpunk 2020 sourcebook about the collapse of the USA, hit by plague and that it created a whole movement of Neo-Nomands and raiders that roam the deserts. I still think I can fit that into the setting, as my idea had the US go into civil war and then rebuild itself, there would still be areas where Raiders could operate and where Neo-Tribal Nomads travel around. Could make for some interesting storylines.

A bit of Cyberpunk Mad Max never hurt. I mean, we also dont know what's going on in places like Mexico, other than that there is a fictional border town that was build by with the help of British Companies.

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2024 5:00 pm

ZeroDelta wrote:
Will it ever be revealed, what happened to Doctor X?

Well, as you may recall, My Doctor X disappeared through a dimensional void sometime back down in Dinosaur Valley. However, he isn't dead, and may be making a return at some point bounce .
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2024 5:49 pm

ZeroDelta wrote:
I have been thinking. As Kimono Troop Command said in the OSF threat, that things started out as a post apocalyptic setting, I was reminded of the Cyberpunk 2020 sourcebook about the collapse of the USA, hit by plague and that it created a whole movement of Neo-Nomands and raiders that roam the deserts. I still think I can fit that into the setting, as my idea had the US go into civil war and then rebuild itself, there would still be areas where Raiders could operate and where Neo-Tribal Nomads travel around. Could make for some interesting storylines.

A bit of Cyberpunk Mad Max never hurt. I mean, we also dont know what's going on in places like Mexico, other than that there is a fictional border town that was build by with the help of British Companies.

What do you guys think?

When I had originally envisioned my K-Troop universe, before I got mixed up in AMMO or Hidden In The Shadows, I devised a very detailed setting near Roswell in New Mexico, studied maps, figured out an economy, drew up a fairly detailed scenario, and planned to build an army of Mad-Maxish road bandits. It was completely overthought; I never created a single road bandit figure, and staging a New Mexico desert setting was entirely beyond my budget or ability. Which is why I say with remarkable confidence, that you are probably also overthinking things that you will find prohibitively expensive to stage on a limited budget. The broader your universe, the more detailed it is, the harder it will be to stage and the more of it will become extraneous detail. We're not writing novels here. Comics are more like movies; they are more visually oriented and time the more space you have to spend explaining background to the reader, the less you will have for the story itself. My suggestion is that you carve yourself out a little operational niche in one part of the world, detail it only as much as you absolutely need to for your stories to make sense, and stick to that. That's what the rest of us do.
Back to top Go down
ZeroDelta
ZeroDelta

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2024 7:38 pm

I suppose you are right. I think I will have to focus mostly wooden areas and such, basically Central Europe and the Balkans then, because I dont think I have anything that could be used as a tropical jungle either. I will have to do some location scouting soon or try myself in diorama construction.
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2024 8:59 pm

ZeroDelta wrote:
I suppose you are right. I think I will have to focus mostly wooden areas and such, basically Central Europe and the Balkans then, because I dont think I have anything that could be used as a tropical jungle either. I will  have to do some location scouting soon or try myself in diorama construction.

For quick, easy backgrounds, either buy digital files from a stock photo agency and have them printed on mat paper, or even go out and shoot some yourself if you can be reasonably certain not to get people in the frame. Clip these to a piece of plywood or hardboard and prop it up. Position your figures 20cm or more away from them and be careful that no shadow from the lighting falls on you background. This is can work very well if you are on a budget.

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 53371562336_1fe9ce1ffb_cPage_14 by Gary Menten, on Flickr

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 53370654637_d7327db998_cPage_12 by Gary Menten, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2024 9:31 pm

What size is your backdrop? 16 x 20?

Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2024 10:56 pm

TNshooter wrote:
What size is your backdrop? 16 x 20?

Something like that, yeah.
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2024 11:20 pm

I often combine it with more plastic vegetation and or styrofoam wall sections. selective focus is your friend.

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 53206099671_11ddd81139_c_DSC0021_0040 copy by Gary Menten, on Flickr

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 53206767370_e324115fd2_csunset Kamiko by Gary Menten, on Flickr

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 53206099516_1824c85d39_c_DSC0019_0039 copy by Gary Menten, on Flickr

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 53205901453_8b0646427d_cambush by Gary Menten, on Flickr

BAMComix and TNshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
JohnnyE4
Red Devil
JohnnyE4

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2024 4:56 am

love the set up photo
thats quite a set-up
Back to top Go down
http://littledandbubba.weebly.com/index.html
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2024 11:25 am

JohnnyE4 wrote:
love the set up photo
thats quite a set-up

It's actually meant to show how minimalist the set up is, and what you can achieve through careful framing of the image and selective focus.
Back to top Go down
ZeroDelta
ZeroDelta

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 4:07 pm

That is indeed, a very nice setup, I just have to find the space to do it in. I do need furniture for the various offices and all. I did find a few nice tutorial vids on YouTube on how to make back alleys and such, they are in 1:12 scale, but that should still work for 1:6

I still wonder for what tech level I should go. I do like the Cyberpunk/Post-Cyberpunk/Cyberprep aesthetic a lot, with its mix of cassette futurism and stuff like flat screens and holograms, I just wonder how to translate that into the setting.

Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2024 4:51 pm

ZeroDelta wrote:
That is indeed, a very nice setup, I just have to find the space to do it in. I do need furniture for the various offices and all. I did find a few nice tutorial vids on YouTube on how to make back alleys and such, they are in 1:12 scale, but that should still work for 1:6

I still wonder for what tech level I should go. I do like the Cyberpunk/Post-Cyberpunk/Cyberprep aesthetic a lot, with its mix of cassette futurism and stuff like flat screens and holograms, I just wonder how to translate that into the setting.

I suggest you stick to what is least complicated and easiest to do accomplish with parts you already have or are easily available.  Get some figures built up, photograph them, and if you don't totally like their look, just change it as you go along. Several of mine have gone through changes in wardrobe over time. Get a few figures done, start shooting photos--go outdoors if you have to--and shoot a few very short stories...3-5 panels to introduce your characters and the setting. Don't worry about perfection that this point.  You can work refinements later. Don't wait until you finish an office to start shooting. Shoot photos in operational settings to get you started. Experiment with lighting, photo framing and so on. It will all pay off in the long run.

see examples of simple settings

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 53549581958_0300b5ae84_cAnd Some Of Them Are Vulcans by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

crumpled and stained brown paper to simulate rock face.

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 53421889457_58fe8788ff_cPage_11 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Minimalist office set inside an underground bunker using styrofoam, foam board and bits of junk.  The flooring is bamboo floor mat.

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 52974624667_16485a517e_cVery Interesting by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Same set up, but lit with lights covered with blue and red gelatin filters available from any photographic supply house.

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 52871245681_409c904691_cNicht Schiessen by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Same place, different lighting

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 52965178856_2ce9acdaf6_cPage_5 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Tightly cropped outdoor shot, taken at the edge of a stone retaining wall in a park across the street from me.

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 52965638868_70d8603799_cPage_1 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Same place

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 52741873382_cb25935c40_cPage_10 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Fake spaceship interior created with foam board, spray paint, small studs, and bits of junk,

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 52586255762_1e7334f326_c_DSC0046 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 52587249918_1f6896fb57_c_DSC0042 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Cardboard packaging material spray painted in rust primer and gun metal, lit with blue lighting on one side, and slightly greenish on the other.

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 52289030126_cac811235b_cBody Snatchers by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

crumpled paper rock face, ears of corn for the alien pods, Spanish moss from hobby store and plastic plants from dollar store

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 52189812307_dc478d3bf6_c2 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 52190819016_087d0ef8eb_c3 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Same corner of retaining wall as before

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 51976190838_1c0dcf6487_cWelcome to Altair IV by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

crumpled paper lit by blue lighting on paper, white lighting on figures with small hand-held LED flashlight

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 51797329812_ecac085ebd_cThe Caves of Planet X by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Crumpled paper wall, lit in magenta on one side, blue on the other.

So the gist of my advice to you, is to start experimenting with photos right away. Even if your figures are not complete, or even with entirely different one than the ones you will use in your stories. The experience you gain will pay off in a big way down the line. Don't bother trying to tell complex stories at this point. Just go out, have some fun and get some practice both at building and lighting simple, cheap and small indoor sets and if possible, in suitable outdoor locations as well.
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2024 4:20 am

I have a question on Comic Life. One thing I haven't been able to ascertain is if there is a way
to set the size for the template?

Does the image size make the size of the template?

Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2024 4:50 am

TNshooter wrote:
I have a question on Comic Life. One thing I haven't been able to ascertain is if there is a way
to set the size for the template?

Does the image size make the size of the template?

Comic Life allows for a variety of different page sizes, North American, ISO, photo paper sizes, piles it has a variety of comic template sizes in which panels can be adjusted, moved re-sized, etc, and finally, you can take blank pages, insert, resize and reposition your panels. It is very versatile.
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2024 5:27 am

But how are the pages re-sized? The tutorial that comes with the program seems a
bit underwhelming.

BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2024 7:00 am

TNshooter wrote:
But how are the pages re-sized? The tutorial that comes with the program seems a
bit underwhelming.

I find that with mine anyway, the pages are set at A4 size. I either drag across the box templates or make my own? Personally, I've never adjusted the page size? I just use as is.
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2024 7:28 am

TNshooter wrote:
bit underwhelming.

At tbe far right of the top toolbar, click on the "Inepsector" icon.

This opens up a new dialogue box with a tiny little toolbar at the top. Click on the second icon from left (Document) , which looks like a tiny little page with four squares on it. from there, click on the "Page Setup" tab, and choose your page size and orientation.

TNshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2024 6:59 pm

Another thing about Comic Life, is that when you are going to be posting multiple panels per page, you have to think quite far ahead about the photos and cropping of the images, even though you can crop them within Comic Life as you are fitting them into the bland spaces. Example.

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 52859765913_eba87393dd_cPage_1 by Gary Menten, on Flickr

It doesn't matter whether you are using a standard template or making the layout yourself. You have to think about how much you want to show in that image, and also leave room for speech balloons. Finally, remember that the convention in western culture is that we read from left to right and top to bottom, so the order of speaking should be left to right. For illustrators, this isn't a problem; they can compose the image however they want to and show it from whatever perspective they need to. We however photographing things in fixed locations and dioramas. We don't have the freedom the illustrator does in choosing our perspective or the viewpoint. Finally, I find it practical to shoot wide and then crop down to size. This practice is very forgiving for leaving space for speech balloons, and makes it easier to manage depth of field and make keep multiple figures in sharp focus.

To keep things easier for short comics, I tend to put only one or two panels per page. On longer stories, I will put several but this takes time and practice to master.

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 53491853803_722a4bca94_cPage_1 by Gary Menten, on Flickr

A final tip, is that it's always better to shoot more photos than you think you'll need for your story.
Back to top Go down
ZeroDelta
ZeroDelta

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 5:29 pm

That is actually very helpful advice. Thank you
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:37 pm

ZeroDelta wrote:
That is actually very helpful advice. Thank you

The easiest way to start is with the crumpled paper rock face / cave sides. You need something hard and flat like a piece of thin plywood to clip it to with butterfly clips.  If you want to add interest, try getting some Spanish moss or plastic vines to hang off it.  Take some figures, start shooting photos. Get some practice. If you don't have Comic Life yet, I suggest you get it. The learning curve on the software is gentle, but the learning curving on just creating comics is somewhat harder. The more you practice, the better.
Back to top Go down
ZeroDelta
ZeroDelta

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

So, I finally managed to kitbash 2 enemy Soldiers. Would have been a third, if I did not run into some issues. Will post images soon. Some more are in the works. I think I should rename this thread as well, or maybe create a new one just so I can post my creations in them

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2024 8:41 pm

ZeroDelta wrote:
So, I finally managed to kitbash 2 enemy Soldiers. Would have been a third, if I did not run into some issues. Will post images soon. Some more are in the works. I think I should rename this thread as well, or maybe create a new one just so I can post my creations in them

Best to create a new thread. I’m eager to see what you have created.
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2024 10:10 pm

Nice photos & info! cheers

PostSubject: Re: Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting   Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about Kimono Troops and BAM Comix setting
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2