ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

April Interview 2013 somekindajoe

Go down 
+8
action-johnny
Tof
ghost recon
Reddragon
Beatlefan
ak615
Danthecoat
BAMComix
12 posters
AuthorMessage
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Empty
PostSubject: April Interview 2013 somekindajoe   April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 11:18 am

April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Picture020-1

Joe & Hank

name ?
Steve

Online name ?
Somekindajoe

Location ?
‘Sarf’ London

first vam/gi joe/mam or 1/6 figure ?

A Blond PH Talking Commander for my birthday in 1967. I thought he was the greatest toy ever. With my birthday money I got a Green Beret uniform for him (not sure if I’ve ever mentioned that before?) I still have ‘some’ of him, his head, torso, left arm and Beret. It would be great to get around to rebuilding him one day.

Favourite figure now ?

It all depends on the definition of favourite. My childhood guys, especially Joe and Hank are the figures I obviously have the most sentimental attachment too and so are technically my favourites. My favourite figures plucked from the AM range would be the Green Beret and British Para. My favourite ‘type’ of figure has to be the 40th GI Joe.

what will you do with your collection as you get older ?

Keep adding to it! Long term I have no idea. I’m a compulsive hoarder so there’s no way my collection is going anywhere while Im still around.

do you set yourself a budget ?

I wished!

worst vam/gi joe/mam or 1/6 figure ?

How can you answer a question like this without upsetting someone?....but since I’ve been asked I may as well upset as many people as possible! MAM. It irks me that they used the name ‘Action man’ for the range. To me that was like putting Rolls-Royce badges on a Skoda ( might as well upset Skoda drivers too!) Had they called it something else I could happily ignore it nowdays remembering it only as the way too PC line of figures my son had as a kid and it would turn up on the forum about as often as Max Steele. As for proper AM, I think the Intruder and Bullet man are two figures the range could have well done without. I don’t rate Atomic man and Tom Stone very highly either although I can see their appeal if you have childhood nostalgia for them. I think it’s to the Palitoy design team’s credit that they can say they had nothing to do with these characters but just inherited them from Hasbro’s GI Joe line.

Most desired item ?

Whatever I’m chasing this week! Can’t say I have a so far unobtained holy grail item.

views on 40th reproductions ?

The 40th was the best thing to happen to Action man since his demise in 1984! It breathed new life into the hobby. It’s why so many of us are here. Remember how many people collected it and how busy the hobby was 2006-10? . Many have now moved on but it’s left a hardcore of new collectors like myself who’ve made the transition from buying a bit of 40th to becoming bona fide VAM collectors. Who didn’t get the nostalgia rush to end all nostalgia rushes the first time they held a carded 40th of their favourite childhood AM set? Quality-wise it’s hard to fault 40th uniforms and equipment and they are the two things that are hardest to find in vintage. It’s true 40th figures are a bit hit and miss but VAM figures aren’t in such short supply as say, vintage GB uniforms are so it isn’t really a problem. 40th figures are ‘fit for purpose’, good enough to use as mannequins for the uniforms. If you want to relive those backyard wars of childhood, use VAM.
Soon after discovering the AM 40th I found out that there’d been a GI Joe 40th a few years earlier and set about collecting that as well. The highlight of that range for me was the figure. It was much better quality that the 40th AM and instead of trying to copy the original head sculpt and getting it not quite right as 40th AM had done they went for a modern interpretation instead. The sleepy eyed Joe invokes either a love him or hate him response in most people. I can’t get enough of them. Pretty soon, if not already, 40th Joe will be the largest figure type group in my collection.
My childhood started with PH HH’s and ended with Fuzzy grippers. My 6 months of AM collecting in 1985, when I cleared out Zodiac toys of their stock, introduced me to EE BP’s. Now for me 40th Joe has become the symbol of my current ‘mid-life crisis/second childhood’ collecting phase!

worst item of the vam/gi joe/mam or 1/6 range ?

After alienating so many people earlier in the interview with my worst figure answer I think I’ll be diplomatic here and say I can’t really think of any specific VAM items I don’t like.

best thing about collecting vam/gi joe/mam or 1/6 figures ?

That warm glow of nostalgia you get owning things that are such an important part of your personal history.
Also I like how multifaceted the hobby is. It’s not just all about amassing a collection. There’s a whole creative side to it. You can kitbash, scratch build vehicles, create dios, make photostories, the list is endless Who amongst us hasn’t got numerous ‘projects’ on the go at any given time. All at varying degrees of completion.
The community. You come for the VAM but stay for the people. After everyone I knew outgrew reading comics I was a solitary collector for many years but when I started attending comic fairs etc I made many friends in the hobby. The same is true for VAM. Nostalgia got me back into VAM but the friends I’ve made in the collecting community is why I stay and what keeps me enthusiastic for VAM.
Remember how cool it was when your mum let you have a friend round after school or his mum let you go round his house? Well ‘mums’ might have been replaced by ‘wives’ now but the idea still holds true. Luckily for Richard (Beatlefan) and myself our wives don’t mind hubby having a nerdy mate round to share quality VAM time. We’ve escaped so far but it can’t be long before one of our wives comes out with a classic, cringe inducing ‘mum’ line like ‘They play so nicely together’. It can only be a matter of time!

Do you think your collection will be collectible in the future ?

That’s a tough one. To use comics as an analogy, who collects Golden age (1940’s) comics now? They contain the beginnings of the whole superhero genre but who’s still around to buy them out of childhood nostalgia for them as opposed to historical significance ? Silver age comics are the ‘biggy’ right now because that’s what us 1960’s baby-boomers grew up reading and we’re the ones on a nostalgia kick and have disposable income.
My prediction? Action man has got another good 20 years left him in but after than although his value won’t drop to noticeably finding buyers will get harder and harder.

if you did not collect vam/gi joe/mam or 1/6 figures, what would you collect ?

As I’ve hinted at before I’m a massive American comics fan. Marvel and DC from the Silver age (1960’s), as that’s what I grew up reading. I have quite an impressive collection, even if I do say so myself. In fact it’s almost as big as Beatlefan’s !!
Although I don’t actively collect things like Airfix and Timpo soldiers, Corgi and Dinky, and assorted other toys I still have small collections of each and do buy the odd bit from ebay.
I pretty much like the same things I did at 10 years old. Except a girl called Debbie who used to live at no26. I see her in Sainsburys now and then and the years haven’t been as kind as they could have been.
Modern collecting-wise, until rediscovering AM I was really into Warhammer 40k. I think I have enough troops and vehicles to be classed as a super power in my own right. I loved every aspect of the hobby from building the kits and painting the soldiers to having the table-top battles. My brother introduced me to it in 1989 and I was pretty fanatical about it until the day I found the 40th on-line. Haven’t looked at a minature since!
I’m not really into music. My ‘collection’ consists of two items. Alice Cooper’s album ‘Billion Dollar Babies’ which I got in 1972, and A Kinks ‘Greatest hits’ CD I was given one father’s day. If I’m on the xbox or playing VAM I might dip into youtube for some background music. The best way to describe my selections? If it would fit on the soundtrack to a Vietnam war film or documentary then I’ll probably like it. Another aspect of life where my tastes and interests were set by the time I was 10 years old!

why do you like ammo ?

It’s a very friendly and lively forum. I belong to most of the AM/GI Joe forums and enjoy them all. They all have their own distinct character and strengths but I must admit after the demise of the UAMHQ I did feel a bit homeless. Ammo has helped fill that void and having an AM day such a short drive from where I live hasn’t hurt either!

April Interview 2013 somekindajoe 1971

Steve on holiday
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: April Interview 2013 somekindajoe   April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 11:20 am

great interview steve, thanks for taking the time to do it. Great insight into your passion for our hobby cheers
Back to top Go down
Danthecoat
Crash Crew
Danthecoat

PostSubject: Re: April Interview 2013 somekindajoe   April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 11:28 am

actionman2272 wrote:

April Interview 2013 somekindajoe 1971

Steve on holiday

What a fantastic interview Steve cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Great photo too which one are you again ????? scratch

geek geek geek geek geek geek geek geek geek geek geek geek geek geek geek geek geek geek geek
Back to top Go down
ak615
Action Pilot
ak615

Location : Off the shoulder of orion in the dark near the tanhauser gate

PostSubject: Re: April Interview 2013 somekindajoe   April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 11:34 am

Couldn`t have said a lot better myself SKJ,I think your bang on the money with another 20 years of collecting you may get the odd MAM collecters wanting some VAM as part of their history then that will be it. affraid
Back to top Go down
Beatlefan
Admin
Beatlefan

PostSubject: Re: April Interview 2013 somekindajoe   April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 11:51 am

Great interview Steve, some good points made there.

Its frightening how similar we are in our ways Mate lol!!!!!

Now then...this Debbie..........................................
Back to top Go down
Reddragon
SCRAMBLE PILOT
Reddragon

PostSubject: Re: April Interview 2013 somekindajoe   April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 11:52 am

Well done SKJ, very enjoyable interview Very Happy

ghost recon
Painted Head (Hard Hands)
ghost recon

PostSubject: Re: April Interview 2013 somekindajoe   April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 12:06 pm

Great interview Steve & fascinating read.
Back to top Go down
Tof
Flock Head (Hard Hands)
Tof

PostSubject: Re: April Interview 2013 somekindajoe   April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 5:47 pm

thanks fior this interview,Steve
Back to top Go down
http://forumdugroupactionjoe.xooit.fr/index.php
action-johnny
Painted Head
action-johnny

PostSubject: Re: April Interview 2013 somekindajoe   April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 8:02 pm

April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Fatuglywoman_zps2e0818bc
Debbie having her tea-break outside Sainsbury's (South London).

April fools day interview eh Steve? Laughing
Great insight into your life mate.
I agree regarding the Joe 40th, they are great and far, far, far superior to the UK 40th figures.
I've spoken to Richard (Beatlefan) too and I think the three of us are very similar, especially in tastes, btw I'm from London too (Hackney) and turned 50 last July Sad .

Obviously you know 'Bullet Man' was a 'Golden Age' comic hero, can't understand why they revived him in the 80's as he is/was not that well known.

I think most of us on here are 'compulsive hoarders' Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: April Interview 2013 somekindajoe   April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 6:41 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

What a Face John where did you get that pic of Debbie??
This is how she looked (in my eyes anyway) back in the day..

April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Debbie_zpse208fa09

Good job she didn't give nerds a second glance back then cos I'd have obviously lived to regret it!

Speaking of which, yes we are all way to alike. If we ever fill in a 'you know you're a nerd when...' questionaire you know we'll all be ticking far too many boxes!

Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: April Interview 2013 somekindajoe   April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 6:57 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sparkys6887
Arctic Explorer
Sparkys6887

PostSubject: Re: April Interview 2013 somekindajoe   April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 7:06 pm

Great interview Steve and yep you offended me lol. I love Tom Stone and have an Intruder too, even thought about buying a Skoda to give the kids more leg room Lol :-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.creativecounselling.net
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

PostSubject: Re: April Interview 2013 somekindajoe   April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 9:04 pm

Very intresting read Steve, we're from the same golden era of Action Man/G.I.JOE 1960's so we most definitely share the same intrests, i've got a heavy stash of poly bagged Marvels & DC's too cheers cheers cheers .

I collect Max Steel as well as vam/Joes and find the figure to be great quality Very Happy Very Happy

Her real name is Dawn, i've her name still tattooed on my arm from when i was 16, it caused problems with later girlfriends and still does lol!
Quote :
April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Debbie_zpse208fa09
Back to top Go down
http://actionmanworld.forumotion.co.uk
Sparkys6887
Arctic Explorer
Sparkys6887

PostSubject: Re: April Interview 2013 somekindajoe   April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 1:41 am

[quote="clivvers"]Very intresting read Steve, we're from the same golden era of Action Man/G.I.JOE 1960's so we most definitely share the same intrests, i've got a heavy stash of poly bagged Marvels & DC's too cheers cheers cheers .

Clive, Steve is pulling your leg mate I had him DNA tested or carbon/dendro dated can't remember which after the last AM Day and he's Actually 34 years old :-)
Back to top Go down
http://www.creativecounselling.net
AManfromcoalville
Flock Head
AManfromcoalville

PostSubject: Re: April Interview 2013 somekindajoe   April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 7:47 am

Top, top work, Steve. Fantastic interview - really appreciate you taking the time and thought to answer the questions, it is a terrific read.

Fascinating to read about VAM collecting from your experience of comic collecting.

I've always known that it's that nostalgic rush that keeps me hooked. I can understand the venom that Oldies had/have for MAM - as collectors they just couldn't feel any connection with him, and yet he was billed as ACTION MAN. He was THEIR AMan. It was liked being invited for a night down the boozer to find they only serve non alcoholic vegetarian lager! WHAT@S THE POINT??? All that potential love turned bad! LOL!!

So I think Hasbro really missed out by alienating an audience of Adults who not only would have bought into the whole concept of Action Man being reintroduced as a toy but would have ensured the market kept going for years by buying for themselves/ their kids/grand kids etc

Interesting to compare the success of COMMANDO Comics, for example - they are marketed for us along the nostalgic artwork route, and yet have a groundswell of much younger readers.

I know you are a bit older than me ( Laughing ) but those childhood pics some- up everything about my own - the muted colours, a splash o' sunshine - making sure Action Man is in the pic! I can almost smell my Nan's cigarettes LOL!
Sigh... I've still got a summer romance postcard from Debbie in the attic somewhere - signed SWALK NORWICH etc

Pure comedy gold...... ‘They play so nicely together’. Seriously, you two are very lucky! cheers cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: April Interview 2013 somekindajoe   April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks for the comments Jim. It's always good for us 'older' collectors to hear what you younger guys think! lol!

Debbie at 50 and MAM. Two things that just can't compete with my memories of the 'original and best'!

..and ‘They play so nicely together’. . . We're obviously VAM's answer to Ernie and burt!

April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Bert-and-ernie_zpsf3a58313
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: April Interview 2013 somekindajoe   April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 6:21 pm

Hey Burt !!! lol!
Back to top Go down
Beatlefan
Admin
Beatlefan

PostSubject: Re: April Interview 2013 somekindajoe   April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 8:01 pm

A right pair of Muppets lol

Seriously tho, your a top bloke Steve....really enjoy your company mate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: April Interview 2013 somekindajoe   April Interview 2013 somekindajoe Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

April Interview 2013 somekindajoe
Page 1 of 1