ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..

Go down 
+9
action bob
Sparklebudgie
TALLY HO
ak615
ghost recon
BAMComix
Joe90
brownboots
clivvers
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Empty
PostSubject: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 1:06 am

First up, I vaguely remember some of my friends having brand new Action Man figures that had stress-cracks in one or two places, this was back in the day. I think it was 1971, when the 'Realistic Hair' fixed eyed Action Man was all the rage. These obviously had left the factory in that state, so stress fractures/splits are nothing new Shocked
I don't recall any of the painthead 'kings' Wink having splits in their limbs back in them days Very Happy

The Clivvers way:

Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. 34370833994_4b83335fb5_o
Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. 34370834034_759dc5fbbb_o
Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. 34370834064_668ace1df0_o
Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. 34370834074_0dc7aed995_o
Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. 34370834084_a6dd083e9a_o
Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. 34370834114_70f66555b8_o
Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. 35049693322_099d7a6562_o
Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. 35049693342_dc7a0e3809_o
Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. 35049693352_95abb0ba56_o
Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. 35049693372_221730d5f8_o

Last edited by clivvers on Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:03 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://actionmanworld.forumotion.co.uk
brownboots
Admin
brownboots

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 1:16 am

Great clear tip!! If I can add something, a 4 way nail buffer can buff back most of the plastic dulling after repair, it's the part that looks like rubber on the file you'll need, the other grades are usefull to. Give it a try.
Back to top Go down
Joe90
Eagle Eyes
Joe90

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 1:39 am

Good tip!

I have a question: can this technique be used to fuse back pieces that have split off?

i've got some shins and shoulder pieces that have split in half and I'm Hoping to repair rather than replace.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 2:06 am

Might I add to Clivvers great tip?

I may have mentioned this before, but here goes!

I have the most useful soldering iron/woodburner ever. It's a variable temp unit. Perfect for Clivvers repairs and many others. Plastic welding, they have been doing it on Automotive bumpers for years.

The procedure I learned to fix cars was to V (groove) out the bad area (this allows more area for the patch to bond to), and fill with molten plastic of the same descent, ie scrap trimmed to fit the groove. Work it into shape with the hot tool, then as Clivvers did above, sand and finish to desired sheen.

Sounds easy, it is a bit of a challenge, but be patient, don't try to go too far at one time, put it down, let it cool, then try again.

I've saved some absolute trash using this technique.

BTW, Walnut Hollow Creative Versa-tool Walnuthollow.com

I got mine at Hobby Lobby with their weekly 40% off coupon, I paid just over $20 USD. Retails for about $40 USD

A Man's only as good as his tool......(s)!

Rick
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 9:38 am

Fantastic Clive !!!
Back to top Go down
ghost recon
Painted Head (Hard Hands)
ghost recon

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 9:41 am

FANTASTIC TIP !! Bally great work Clive , 1st class.

Action Pilot
ak615

Location : Off the shoulder of orion in the dark near the tanhauser gate

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 9:41 am

Fantastic how to Clivvers thanks for taking the time to do this

Armoured Car Commander
TALLY HO

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 6:04 pm

That's great mate .... Great post
Back to top Go down
Sparklebudgie
Sabotage
Sparklebudgie

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 6:14 pm

Excellent instructional post, I would only add, I think the fumes are a bit nasty.
Back to top Go down
action bob
Flock Head (Hard Hands)
action bob

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 6:18 pm

Great tip and instructions
Back to top Go down
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 6:33 pm

brownboots wrote:
Great clear tip!! If I can add something, a 4 way nail buffer can buff back most of the plastic dulling after repair, it's the part that looks like rubber on the file you'll need, the other grades are usefull to. Give it a try.
Great tip BB, I will be definitely be looking out for one of them devices in the chemist.

Last edited by clivvers on Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 7:01 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Good tip!  

I have a question: can this technique be used to fuse back pieces that have split off?

I've got some shins and shoulder pieces that have split in half and I'm Hoping to repair rather than replace.
I reckon it will definitely work, Doug.

Shoulder pieces are a little harder to do. I did have success with one, but I had to do it twice before it held good.
If the split reopens, don't panic. It can be redone, you will have to melt down quite deep to get a good strong fuse.

You may have to use model kit clamp devices to hold the two pieces together. I would start by fusing the 2 parts along the cracks in places to temporary hold them together, then the clamps can be moved out of the way.

The repair might take some time though, do it in stages over a day. Patience wins the day with repairs like this. I've got a spare vam shin that's split completely in two, it's like bone china, it's that brittle. I'm going to give it a go soon.

All good plastic surgeons needed plenty of practice, I've done a few plastic repairs in the past and I think i'm nearly ready to open my private clinic for celebrities... Barbies and Kens lol!

Last edited by clivvers on Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 7:14 pm

joeman wrote:
Might I add to Clivvers great tip?

I may have mentioned this before, but here goes!

I have the most useful soldering iron/woodburner ever. It's a variable temp unit. Perfect for Clivvers repairs and many others. Plastic welding, they have been doing it on Automotive bumpers for years.

The procedure I learned to fix cars was to V (groove) out the bad area (this allows more area for the patch to bond to), and fill with molten plastic of the same descent, ie scrap trimmed to fit the groove. Work it into shape with the hot tool, then as Clivvers did above, sand and finish to desired sheen.

Sounds easy, it is a bit of a challenge, but be patient, don't try to go too far at one time, put it down, let it cool, then try again.

I've saved some absolute trash using this technique.

BTW, Walnut Hollow Creative Versa-tool Walnuthollow.com

I got mine at Hobby Lobby with their weekly 40% off coupon, I paid just over $20 USD. Retails for about $40 USD

A Man's only as good as his tool......(s)!

Rick
Wow! that tool sounds perfect for our hobby, it's on my 'would like' list. Great plastic tips too.
Thanks, Joeman Very Happy

Brian (Sparklebudgie)
I forgot to add a face mask to the list above, thanks for reminding me about the semi toxic smell lol!

Thanks, chaps Smile

clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 11:35 pm

Missing photos now reposted  Smile 

Hawkeye
Australian Jungle Fighter
Hawkeye

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 7:15 pm

Nice tip Clive thanks for this I will have to get in my shed and find my old soldering tool out and give this a go
Cheers Ian

Flock Head (Hard Hands)
pachwerk

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 12:38 am

Glad I saved all those broken pieces Smile
Back to top Go down
Ddaydawson
Painted Head
Ddaydawson

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 12:04 pm

Yes this is a great tip. I tried it after reading the thread and it worked a treat.
Back to top Go down
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2014 9:34 pm

I'm glad it helped you, Ddaydawson! Smile

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi all - really useful post, thought I'd add to it (hoping the pics load ok)

Even when you think a fracture is beyond repair, take a look at this, it really does only take a few minutes.
Use a full size hacksaw blade to put a groove around the end of the limb maybe 3mm from the edge. Use bracelet wire (Hobbycraft - I use the brass as it bends easily but holds strong) wrapped into the groove and twisted off with pliers pulling the broken pieces in tight. Cut a small groove and bend the twisted wire into it. Cut off the excess and file flat. Holds really tight and can fix forearms and calves even split into two halves. You can backfill the groove with the soldering technique and some spare plastic as filler (I'm sure other fillers would work) if you want to hide the repair. The wire ensures it won't split again. Great for shoulders....  

Here's hoping the pics load ok...... Dave

Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. DSC_0197

Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. DSC_0199-1

Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. DSC_0200

Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. DSC_0201

Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. DSC_0202

Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. DSC_0209

Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. DSC_0211
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 6:12 pm

very cool mate, top work indeed !, great upload cheers
Back to top Go down
pachwerk
Flock Head (Hard Hands)
pachwerk

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 7:11 pm

Ingeniously delightful solution.
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2014 4:44 pm

Great tip! Very Happy

HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 2:06 pm

Sorry I'm late again, Thanks Jim..

Repaired missing photos (10/6/2017) Smile

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 8:06 pm

bounce Thanks For The Tip! I'm in the process of Repairing some Right Now! bounce
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 10:50 pm

Rage wrote:
bounce Thanks For The Tip! I'm in the process of Repairing some Right Now! bounce

Awesome Rage! Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..   Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures.. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Repair Them Unwanted Stress Fractures..
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next