ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vintage Action Man, Action Team, G. I. Joe, Geyper Man, Group Action Joe, 1/6 figures

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p

Go down 
AuthorMessage
action-johnny
Painted Head (Hard Hands)
action-johnny

Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Empty
PostSubject: Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p   Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Icon_minitimeSun Nov 03, 2013 11:48 pm

Hands up all those on here who spend their 5p pocket money on these beauties back in 1972, then, after 10 issues had the foresight to send for the free poster? cheers 
Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Mwom1-10poster_zps9d8d7371
Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
Green Beret
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p   Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 6:46 am

I never sent for the poster....couldn't bring myself to cut the stamps out of the comic (it must be where my de-carding phobia started! lol! )

The poster was billed as a 'mystery' free gift. One of the clues was 'it ryhms with toaster' D'oh! Ben Grimm was pictured in a thinker style pose saying 'Ryhms with toaster? Gee I wish I was a poet!'

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
Blondeactionman
Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p   Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 9:06 am

superb comics Johnny ! cheers 

action-johnny

PostSubject: Re: Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p   Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 9:35 am

You're memory is spot on Steve! However, I was a bit canny back in those days, I never wanted to cut my coupons out either but luckily I had a stash of about 5 spare/swap issues that I stole ...well 'borrowed' from the doctors (you remember, doctors waiting rooms had loads of comics!) and one was issue 10 so I cut out the form and stuck on any spare coupons from the double issues and posted it off, incomplete with a begging letter saying that due to illness I missed a few copies. Marvel were brilliant, they send me a great letter along with the poster and the free gift Hulk transfer from #1.
I still have the letter, brilliantly adorned with 'Mighty World Of Marvel' along the header. Of course the poster and Hulk transfer are still in my possession too and so are the whole set of MWOM and their free gifts up to about 1978.
Same goes for the 'Spider-Man Comics Weekly', got the mask (a paper bag) in #1, the only thing missing is the spidey tracer plane from #2, missed that one but I managed to get the poster from #10 (another coupon send off) fairly recently on ebay for about £40....bargain I reckon.
cheers 
Back to top Go down
Beatlefan
Admin
Beatlefan

PostSubject: Re: Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p   Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 5:40 pm

Great pics John and great story!!!

I started collecting/reading the Marvel UK comics from about 1974. I used to get MWOM, Spider-Man, Planet Of The Apes and Dracula Lives!

Great comics, even though they were in black & white I loved them.

Excelsior!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Volgan10
Back to top Go down
action-johnny
action-johnny

PostSubject: Re: Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p   Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Have you seen the 1972 MWOM issues Richard? They are fabulous and have a few colour pages too! I was absolutely fascinated by them. Obviously 1960's reprints adorned with Kirby and Ditko art....superb!
Back to top Go down
Beatlefan
Admin
Beatlefan

PostSubject: Re: Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p   Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 7:35 pm

Yes mate, I managed to pick some up when I started collecting as an adult. I love the way we got our own covers too as well as reprinted American comic covers. Great upload John!!

Back to top Go down
action-johnny
action-johnny

PostSubject: Re: Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p   Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 7:40 pm

Yes, I forgot to mention, nearly all those early issues had UK created covers. I spoke to a guy a few years back from across the pond and he said a lot of Americans were starting to snap them up because of the unseen artwork. One of my faves is #2, whoever drew that did a sterling job on the Hulk.

Last edited by action-johnny on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
action-johnny
action-johnny

PostSubject: Re: Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p   Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 7:52 pm

Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Mwom2_zps1f60c4ac
Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
Green Beret
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p   Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Very true John although do you remember some of the splash pages they had to create to break up monthly US stories into UK weekly ones? Some of them left a lot to be desired!lol! 

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
action-johnny
action-johnny

PostSubject: Re: Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p   Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 8:14 pm

I do remember some of the splash pages. also the full colour center pages, some were great, some a bit amateurish.
The thing that I noticed the most though was the letters pages. The USA ones were far more intellectual and deep whereas the UK were always along the lines of "who'd win in a fight, Hulk or Thing" or "my favourite is Spidey, my mum say's if I'm a good boy she will stop my dad reading it" type of thing.
The UK letters did improve though as the late 70's came in and British kids were gaining the 'knowledge'.
Back to top Go down
Beatlefan
Admin
Beatlefan

PostSubject: Re: Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p   Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 8:26 pm

That's a great cover John!

Great memories from the 70's Very Happy 

Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
Green Beret
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p   Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 8:40 pm

I've always assumed the US letters pages were better because they had an older readership. Comics were still just 'Kids stuff' in the UK in the 70's while they had a college age and even adult readership in the US. Luckily things have changed here now.

..and my fave cover is No 5. Hulk busting out of a space ship!

Back to top Go down
action-johnny
action-johnny

PostSubject: Re: Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p   Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 9:27 am

Just for you Steve....
Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Mwom5_zpsc4f3e4c3
Back to top Go down
Beatlefan
Admin
Beatlefan

PostSubject: Re: Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p   Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 7:34 pm

Fantastic cover John! Very Happy 

Back to top Go down
Blondeactionman
Admin
Blondeactionman

PostSubject: Re: Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p   Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 7:40 pm

awesome !

inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p   Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 8:28 pm

coool comics! Thanks for sharing AJ... Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p   Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mighty World Of Marvel - 5p
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO) :: AMMO Commons :: Off Topic-
Jump to: