ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

July Interview - the_Pauley

Go down 
+6
Professor Gangrene Fan
pachwerk
Jet-
Wolf_Soldier64
Rossini
BAMComix
10 posters
AuthorMessage
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

July Interview - the_Pauley Empty
PostSubject: July Interview - the_Pauley   July Interview - the_Pauley Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2015 10:08 am

Name: Jim

Online name: the_pauley

First VAM/Joe/MAM or 1/6 figure?

I'm one of the old guard that was in right at the start. I got a blonde Action Man Action Soldier for my birthday in May 1966, and a few months later got a black haired GI Joe Action Marine and a Marine Dress Parade set from some friends visiting from Canada. A big thrill, as I had been aware of GI Joe for a couple of years before Action Man through the ads in US comics and had made the connection when I saw Action Man and the almost identical packaging. Indeed my first Action Man had GI Joe stamped on his butt cheek! I remember the GI Joe Marine and the dress uniform was a real status symbol among my mates at the time as it was the only GI Joe figure not part of the Action Man range. Continued to get the odd bit of Joe kit sent to me from Canada for birthdays and Christmas, which is why I have an equal affinity for collecting GI Joe and Action Man today as both give me the nostalgia “buzz”.

What was your favourite figure as a kid, and do you still own him?

My favourite figure was the Action Sailor Navy Frogman. I thought it was so cool having a real rubber wet suit and I could play with Action Man in the bath. Sadly, I don’t have any of my childhood VAM. When I reached that age where I was “too big for toys” (God, what fools we were guys!), I had no compunction about giving my toys away, mostly to my younger cousin. But I distinctly recall that my Action Men and accessories were the last thing I gave him, and then with a bit of a twinge, as this was my number one childhood toy. It was only a few short weeks later that I was in his house and found every piece smashed to smithereens, dismembered figures, etc. I was a bit gutted.

Favourite figure now?

I have so many, I couldn't choose one. I’d say these would be in the Top 5, but in no particular order.

The Landing Signals Officer is a figure I wanted as a kid and never had. I also longed for it as a 40th piece but it never materialised. I was so thrilled to manage to put together this mint example.

July Interview - the_Pauley LandingSignalOfficer3

The Action Pilot range is probably my favourite range, limited though it was. The Scramble Pilot and Fighter Pilot are firm favourites.

July Interview - the_Pauley Pilots3

SAS Elite Force – Cold Weather Uniform. What can I say – I’m a sucker for a black uniform.

July Interview - the_Pauley SAS Elite Force – Cold Weather Uniform.  What can I say – I’m a sucker for a black uniform

July Interview - the_Pauley IMG_8656

US Navy Shore Patrol (Dress whites). Again the Action Sailor range was very under-represented so I have a fondness for these as well.

July Interview - the_Pauley WWIIUSNavyShorePatrol-DressWhite-1

The SAS Elite Force and the Shore Patrol guy are kitbashes of mine, so hopefully it doesn’t come across as big headed to include them as favourites. I just love how those ‘bashes turned out.

Most desired item?

The gloves, bazooka and balaclava to complete this guy…

July Interview - the_Pauley IMG_0268_zpsd927ca77

July Interview - the_Pauley IMG_0268_zpsd927ca77

…and the grabbing arm to complete this guy…

July Interview - the_Pauley IMG_0122_zps38f70f70

What will you do with your collection as you get older ?

Pretty much as I do now. Derive great pleasure from it and carry on kitbashing.

What does your wife/girlfriend/partner think of your collection/hobby?

Mildly patronising, bemused tolerance!

Do you set yourself a budget?

Not as such. I'm a confirmed bargain hunter and have never paid over the odds or silly money for any piece. I’m patient and have always held out for pieces I want at reasonable prices.

Worst Vam/Joe/Mam or 1/6 figure?

Without doubt, this guy…

July Interview - the_Pauley IMG_9365

Views on 40th reproductions?

Love them. The 40th is what got me into collecting. I saw the 40th Action Sailor and Frogman set on the 'net. I bought it as I thought it would be nice to display in the box, as it was my favourite set as a boy and the last thing my granddad bought for me, just about a week or so before he passed away.

What blew me away was opening that Sailor box and finding everything exactly as I remembered it. The figure, the fabric, the star card (in shillings and pence!), the Training Manual and above all the Equipment Manual (my nightly bedtime fantasy reading as a boy), all exactly as I recalled. It was like stepping into a time machine so intense was the nostalgic rush.

I was hooked, and now I have almost 400 Action Men and GI Joe figures and uniform sets, both 40th and vintage, and it is now an all-consuming hobby that has progressed from buying that Frogman set to display on card, to getting all the sets I had as a child, to getting all the 40th GI Joe and Action Man sets, to collecting carded sets as well as sets on-figure, to collecting minty vintage pieces, to kitbashing and now just grabbing any AM or Joe piece that I can get my hands on. I even eventually succumbed to Space Rangers.
I came to the Action Man 40th range 2 to 3 years late, so I seem to have bypassed most of the early teething issues such as melting hands and wet-suits, dodgy hip joints, crumbling flock, etc. I’ve been lucky that with all my 40th guys I’ve only ever had to have three or four replaced for any problems. It has also been an incredibly cheap way to obtain and almost endless supply of figures, uniforms and equipment for my kit bashing as well as mint on card sets for display. I also think that the 40th GI Joe range, for me, has the best head sculpts of any incarnation, vintage or reissue. The red headed 40th Joe is my favourite head sculpt ever.

Worst item of the Vam/Joe/Mam or 1/6 range?

Apart from The Intruder as mentioned above? Hard to pin it down to one thing, but I’d say in general the cost cutting measures at Palitoy as the range progressed resulted in some not-so-hot kit. For example the webbing on such sets as the Long Range Desert Group, Parachute Regiment and British Infantryman, Royal Engineers, etc, that were made from plastic. A few years before these would have been meticulously detailed fabric creations with brass fittings. A prime example is the plastic field pack in the Dragon Island set. Compare that to the original fabric field pack for the GI Joe /Action Man Combat Soldier and it just doesn't hold a candle to it. This along with fabric berets being replaced with rubber ones and elastic rifle straps being replaced with plastic all contributed to a drop in the “realism factor” that was such a huge part of the appeal of the early GI Joe and Action Man range.

Best thing about collecting Vam/Joe/Mam or 1/6 figures?

The chance to be a kid again! Also the chance to indulge every childhood fantasy, as an adult with disposable income. I used to dream of having 20 Action Men when I was a kid, now I have almost 400. I remember as a kid lying in bed at night with a torch under the covers reading that original equipment manual and dreaming of owning everything in it. Imagine the buzz I felt when I obtained my first rare, grey Air Police radio and suddenly realised that my childhood dream had come true!

Do you think your collection will be collectible in the future?

Probably. Some say that when the original childhood collectors die out, that the collectability of GI Joe and Action Man will end too. That hasn’t been the case with toys much older than this. Toy collectors still collect toys from 80-100 years ago, where there can’t possibly be any nostalgia value.

If you did not collect Vam/Joe/Mam what would you collect?

Not so much a case as of “if”, as I do collect a lot of other things. Aside from Action Man and GI Joe I am a voracious reader and have a large library, a broad church ranging from a lot of 19th century (and older) classic literature right up to DC and Marvel graphic novels. I am also a film fanatic and a huge home-cinema buff, with a huge collection of Blu Rays and DVDs. I’m also a big music/hi-fi buff with a massive CD collection. I stopped counting at around 3.000 or so. I also collect Adam West era ‘Batman’ memorabilia, vintage Viewmaster 3D viewers and 3D reels and Aurora model kits from my childhood, particularly the Movie Monsters range.

What AM/Joe outfit or set would you like to have seen released?

I would have liked to have seen more in the Action Pilot and Action Sailor ranges, particularly officers’ uniforms and dress uniforms, both US and British. I’d also like to have had more additions to the Soldiers of the World range as that only scraped the tip of the iceberg.

Do you have a/What is your favourite section of AMMO?

Hard to say, as there is interesting stuff in all of the sections. But if I had to narrow it down, I’d be biased and say the kitbash sections, for obvious reasons.

Why do you like AMMO?

I like the diversity of the membership. There seems to be more of an international mix than on any of the other Action Man sites, so we get a more diverse mix of postings and opinions. Also lots of the old guard from the UAMHQ post here so it seems more like “home”.
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: July Interview - the_Pauley   July Interview - the_Pauley Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2015 10:10 am

Sorry your interview was late to post Jim Sad , but it was well worth the wait!, what a truly fantastic interview cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: July Interview - the_Pauley   July Interview - the_Pauley Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2015 10:35 am

great interview im just down the road from you in atherton
Back to top Go down
Rossini
Red Devil
Rossini

PostSubject: Re: July Interview - the_Pauley   July Interview - the_Pauley Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2015 12:44 pm

Great read mate!
Back to top Go down
Wolf_Soldier64
Wolf_Soldier64

PostSubject: Re: July Interview - the_Pauley   July Interview - the_Pauley Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2015 1:19 pm

Excellent interview Jim, well done enjoyed reading it Very Happy

Poor old Intruder sound like I am the only one who likes him lol!

Medic
Jet-

PostSubject: Re: July Interview - the_Pauley   July Interview - the_Pauley Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2015 2:24 pm

Great interview,
It always amazes me how similar we all are on this forum with our collecting habits.
It's nice to see when you post a new kitbash , always inspiring to me and others on here .
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: July Interview - the_Pauley   July Interview - the_Pauley Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2015 2:30 pm

Jet- wrote:
Great interview,
It always amazes me how similar we all are on this forum with our collecting habits.
It's nice to see when you post a new kitbash , always inspiring to me and others on here .

Very true Jet, pauley has a great gift for it cheers
Back to top Go down
pachwerk
Flock Head (Hard Hands)
pachwerk

PostSubject: Re: July Interview - the_Pauley   July Interview - the_Pauley Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2015 3:47 pm

Great interview! I always like your bashes.

Rich
Back to top Go down
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: July Interview - the_Pauley   July Interview - the_Pauley Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2015 5:35 pm

the_pauley That was a very lovely and amazing read of your interview. My highlight things you typed were

When I reached that age where I was “too big for toys” (God, what fools we were guys!

The chance to be a kid again! Also the chance to indulge every childhood fantasy, as an adult with disposable income. I used to dream of having 20 Action Men when I was a kid, now I have almost 400.

But what saddened me when I was reading it was when you had giving your toys and your Action Men and accessories away, mostly to your younger cousin and then a few short weeks later that you was in his house and you found every piece smashed to smithereens, dismembered figures, etc. You was a bit gutted. No bloody wonder, I would have been.

Captian action

Location : Kent, The Lorry Park of England ! Some call it the garden of England , it is ,if your garden is covered in wheelie bins and dog doo !

PostSubject: Re: July Interview - the_Pauley   July Interview - the_Pauley Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2015 7:34 pm

Fantastic interview ,my introduction to our little mate was a bit later than yours but we share a very similar story in the action man sense , I too love the 40th range both joe and AM as it was what got me started off ,and I love kitbashing as it is a world of opportunity for uniforms that palitoy and Hasbro never made , hats of to you !

Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heavenJuly Interview - the_Pauley G.I.-Joe-1964-Lineup-Title_zpsaepa6syh Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Beatlefan
Admin
Beatlefan

PostSubject: Re: July Interview - the_Pauley   July Interview - the_Pauley Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2015 7:44 pm

Great interview Jim, as Jet said its amazing how similar we all are with just a few differences.

Totally agree about the 40th stuff, opening brand new figures and outfits was a real buzz, something I never thought I would get to do.

July Interview - the_Pauley Volgan10
Back to top Go down
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

PostSubject: Re: July Interview - the_Pauley   July Interview - the_Pauley Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2015 7:44 pm

Wow, a stonking good read, pauley! 1,000 tons of Megaton! Fantastic intel on some of your passions cheers cheers cheers

Snap! The US inport comics back then also wowed me for G.I.JOE. I can imagine the shock and upset of seeing the Action Man slaughterhouse at your cousin's Sad

3D Viewmaster is brilliant! I've got one of the plastic blue ones with 5 discs, one of them is Centurians, there's also a Sesame Street disc lol! I can never forget all those wonderful discs from the 1950's? 60's that my aunt used to have, ones of beautiful places from around the globe, it was a brown coloured Bakerlite Viewmaster. You could lose yourself for hours in those discs, and all from comfort of the living room couch Cool

3D Viewmaster is probably one of the best educational toys ever made! 10/10. I'm going to try and get some more discs, i wonder if there's any Action Man ones available, also any MAM ones as well. Imagine viewing classic Palitoy AM catalogues on a Viewmaster! Cool

I'm liking all your kitmixes, they're always sharp and fresh looking Very Happy

Well done on a top notch interview, i thoroughly enjoyed reading this! Very Happy

the_pauley
Eagle Eyes
the_pauley

PostSubject: Re: July Interview - the_Pauley   July Interview - the_Pauley Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 11:55 am

clivvers wrote:

3D Viewmaster is brilliant! I've got one of the plastic blue ones with 5 discs, one of them is Centurians, there's also a Sesame Street disc lol! I can never forget all those wonderful discs from the 1950's? 60's that my aunt used to have, ones of beautiful places from around the globe, it was a brown coloured Bakerlite Viewmaster. You could lose yourself for hours in those discs, and all from comfort of the living room couch Cool

3D Viewmaster is probably one of the best educational toys ever made! 10/10. I'm going to try and get some more discs, i wonder if there's any Action Man ones available, also any MAM ones as well. Imagine viewing classic Palitoy AM catalogues on a Viewmaster! Cool

I even have Viewmaster reels and viewers dating back to the 1940s.  This '70s packet is one of my favourites for obvious reasons!

July Interview - the_Pauley Envelope_zpskxp4cyug

I'm not a massive fan of The Adventure Team, but these reels are stunning.  Incredible dioramas constructed especially for the Viewmaster photoshoot.

July Interview - the_Pauley G.I.%20Joe%20Reel%201_1_zpsyrrlo1ep

July Interview - the_Pauley Joe-b4-large_zpsq85elpzv

July Interview - the_Pauley G.I.%20Joe%20Reel%201_2_zpsbziti3ls
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: July Interview - the_Pauley   July Interview - the_Pauley Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:49 pm

Superb pics! cheers
Back to top Go down
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

PostSubject: Re: July Interview - the_Pauley   July Interview - the_Pauley Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 1:35 pm

Excellent! It's great news that G.I.JOE is on Viewmaster reels. I hope there's plenty more like that out there! cheers cheers cheers

I remember the Bakerlite brown coloured Viewmasters, probably early 50's? I've got some underwater scenes on one of my discs, they look absolutely stunning!

Thanks for sharing these images Very Happy

the_pauley
Eagle Eyes
the_pauley

PostSubject: Re: July Interview - the_Pauley   July Interview - the_Pauley Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2015 11:35 am

Blondeactionman wrote:
Superb pics! cheers

You should see them in 3D - stunning!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: July Interview - the_Pauley   July Interview - the_Pauley Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

July Interview - the_Pauley
Page 1 of 1