ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A first experiment with plaster backdrop.

Go down 
+2
FIELD STATION 42
Kimono Troop Command
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

A first experiment with plaster backdrop.  Empty
PostSubject: A first experiment with plaster backdrop.    A first experiment with plaster backdrop.  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2020 3:32 pm

A first experiment with plaster backdrop.  50761961443_dc590110c0_bPlaster background; 1st test. by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

As I will be shooting entirely indoors for the duration of the winter and probably for most of the summer, I've decided to bring the outdoors indoors and started experimenting with the creation of background and foreground rocks and such using plaster over a framework, in this case a foam-core frame, which was not the best solution.  Though this rock was not large enough to allow for a 2 x 3 aspect ratio and the photo had to be cropped square, I judge the overall result to be not bad for a first attempt.  

The observer can judge for himself or herself if I have been successful.
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: A first experiment with plaster backdrop.    A first experiment with plaster backdrop.  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2020 3:47 pm

I would say that you have been very successful! You made this backdrop out of plaster over foamcore board? The texturing and colors are spot-on! I would not have known this was an artificial backdrop. This could easily be outdoors in the gully where I snap many of my outdoor photos.

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: A first experiment with plaster backdrop.    A first experiment with plaster backdrop.  Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2020 3:52 pm

It's a foam-core frame....filled in with crumpled newspaper kept in place with tape, the first covered with a plaster-gauze from Woodland Scenics, with more plaster added afterwards then carved to give striations. The paint job is using a leopard-spotting technique of applying patches of diluted yellow ocher and raw sienna, the finally topped off with an even more dilute black wash.
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: A first experiment with plaster backdrop.    A first experiment with plaster backdrop.  Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2020 1:49 pm

It all seems to have dried and hardened very nicely now. It seems the foam core frame has held up nicely.
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: A first experiment with plaster backdrop.    A first experiment with plaster backdrop.  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2020 4:03 pm

That’s good to know. It is certainly an impressive looking backdrop!

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: A first experiment with plaster backdrop.    A first experiment with plaster backdrop.  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2020 4:04 pm

I'm going to attempt a larger one over the next few days.
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: A first experiment with plaster backdrop.    A first experiment with plaster backdrop.  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2020 4:24 pm

Looks good . Are you going to show us how you made it ?

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: A first experiment with plaster backdrop.    A first experiment with plaster backdrop.  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2020 7:58 pm

As the first was merely an experiment, I didn't take any pictures. I will with the next one.
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: A first experiment with plaster backdrop.    A first experiment with plaster backdrop.  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2021 8:46 am

It looks great to me Kimono Troop Command!

Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: A first experiment with plaster backdrop.    A first experiment with plaster backdrop.  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2021 9:06 am

Thanks. I've just started working on the 4 x 2" diorama version in the last half hour.
Back to top Go down
RealSarahdactyl
Action Sailor
RealSarahdactyl

PostSubject: Re: A first experiment with plaster backdrop.    A first experiment with plaster backdrop.  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2021 8:12 pm

This looks great! I've never really done anything outside of urban dioramas. So this is new to me.
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: A first experiment with plaster backdrop.    A first experiment with plaster backdrop.  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2021 8:15 pm

I started work today on a 4' x 2' diorama that will feature a rocky bluff or cliff backdrop. It will be used in the comic book adventures I am working on with Dal, Dave and Colin.

RealSarahdactyl likes this post

Back to top Go down
RealSarahdactyl
Action Sailor
RealSarahdactyl

PostSubject: Re: A first experiment with plaster backdrop.    A first experiment with plaster backdrop.  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2021 7:22 am

Kimono Troop Command wrote:
I started work today on a 4' x 2' diorama that will feature a rocky bluff or cliff backdrop. It will be used in the comic book adventures I am working on with Dal, Dave and Colin.
I've been following the crossover! I'm excited to see this. 4 x 2 is pretty big!
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: A first experiment with plaster backdrop.    A first experiment with plaster backdrop.  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2021 8:10 am

Great work Gary cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A first experiment with plaster backdrop.    A first experiment with plaster backdrop.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A first experiment with plaster backdrop.
Page 1 of 1