ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Modular rock face backdrop part 1

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

Modular rock face backdrop part 1  Empty
PostSubject: Modular rock face backdrop part 1    Modular rock face backdrop part 1  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 1:45 am

It's winter here in Montreal and so if I'm to have 1/6 scale adventures set outdoors in New Mexico, I basically have to bring the outdoors inside.  To this end, I'm attempting to create a 4' x 2' b diorama with an 18" high background.  So....I've been working at creating a modular rock face background using plaster and paint over a frame of 1" thick pink insulation foam structure.  I probably gave it more depth than it requires but that gives it stability. If you have any questions about how I've built this, feel free to ask.  

BTW, this section is not yet complete. I have yet to add the water effects for the waterfall and pool at it's base. I hope to get that done over the weekend,

Modular rock face backdrop part 1  50798326867_36bb498d33_bBuilding a Modular Backdrop part 1 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Modular rock face backdrop part 1  50815837897_6d9a5973bb_b2 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

Modular rock face backdrop part 1  50815837377_19bf28b083_b3 by Gary  Menten, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Modular rock face backdrop part 1    Modular rock face backdrop part 1  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 1:57 am

The shading in the waterfall crevice is quite convincing. It looks like damp rocks.

That has me wondering if you could perhaps press in a layer of plastic wrap before molding the water with epoxy or resin, to cast a water stream that could be removed and replaced at will to suggest different seasons or different locations.

Your rending of natural stone is impressively believable.

The modular approach appears to be working out well so far.

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Modular rock face backdrop part 1    Modular rock face backdrop part 1  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 2:06 am

Thanks Dave. It's take a lot more plaster than I thought it would, mind-you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modular rock face backdrop part 1    Modular rock face backdrop part 1  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 2:52 am

What will you use to represent water?
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Modular rock face backdrop part 1    Modular rock face backdrop part 1  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 3:10 am

Woodland Scenics Realistic Water and Water Effects.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modular rock face backdrop part 1    Modular rock face backdrop part 1  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 4:12 am

Yes I've seen that product. It's relatively new. Back in the days we had to make do with a two part epoxy pour, or painted plaster then lacquered.
Back to top Go down
RealSarahdactyl
Action Sailor
RealSarahdactyl

PostSubject: Re: Modular rock face backdrop part 1    Modular rock face backdrop part 1  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 6:20 am

Kimono Troop Command! This is so awesome!! I love it! I can't wait until the water is here!
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Modular rock face backdrop part 1    Modular rock face backdrop part 1  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 10:26 am

Thanks Sarah. BTW, most people just call me either "kTC" or "Gary."
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Modular rock face backdrop part 1    Modular rock face backdrop part 1  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 12:56 pm

That looks excellent Gary . I am interested to see what the added water will do , are you going to add some small plants or moss ?

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Modular rock face backdrop part 1    Modular rock face backdrop part 1  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 1:50 pm

I intend to add some greenery, however all non-essential businesses are on lock-down here until Monday, so realistically, it won't be until next weekend that I can get into one of the few remaining hobby stores in Montreal.
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Modular rock face backdrop part 1    Modular rock face backdrop part 1  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 4:04 pm

Think the plant will add some realism , where there's water there normally other living things . I look forward to see how this progresses .

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Modular rock face backdrop part 1    Modular rock face backdrop part 1  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 4:20 pm

Water is the essence of life.
Back to top Go down
londonroadhog
Flock Head
londonroadhog

PostSubject: Re: Modular rock face backdrop part 1    Modular rock face backdrop part 1  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 7:13 pm

Looking great Gary. I've been looking at that Woodland Scenics Water Effects. Seems very impressive stuff. Looking forward to seeing how it looks on your dio.
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Modular rock face backdrop part 1    Modular rock face backdrop part 1  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 7:23 pm

yeah, they are pretty impressive, though I suspect a bit of a learning curve.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modular rock face backdrop part 1    Modular rock face backdrop part 1  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 10:22 pm

Kimono Troop Command wrote:
Water is the essence of life.
....and all this time I thought it was Scotch! Or maybe Tequila?  lol!
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Modular rock face backdrop part 1    Modular rock face backdrop part 1  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 11:05 pm

No, those are the essence of pleasure. You can have life without alcohol, only it won't be as interesting.

"Alcohol is a very necessary article... It makes life bearable to millions of people who could not endure their existence if they were quite sober. It enables Parliament to do things at eleven at night that no sane person would do at eleven in the morning."

G.B. Shaw
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Modular rock face backdrop part 1    Modular rock face backdrop part 1  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2021 11:56 pm

Or as Dorothy Parker said" I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy...."   drunken
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modular rock face backdrop part 1    Modular rock face backdrop part 1  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modular rock face backdrop part 1
Page 1 of 1