ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Empty
PostSubject: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2021 6:16 am

Christmas gifts have been given and opened and I now have my Egyptian King.
It's my first.....dare I even say the word,....."Phicen".....or "seamless" if you must. (But not "semless" as this section has somehow been labelled! NOW CORRECTED!)
First impressions?
The weight seems out of all proportion to the size of the figure but that's obviously from its internal metal armature.
In truth, in this case, so little of the body is on view (just the hands) the costume could easily be transferred to an articulated figure with no loss of visual appeal.

So first the good things:
It came VERY well packaged and there was no damage at all.
Overall the finish is very good, with very detailed painting and moulding.
The costume is well designed and constructed, and consists of several layers, each of very fine work. 
Well all except for the very non-Egyptian cheapie pair of underpants that is, but they seem to have been provided purely to cover up the Phicen figure's short-fallings in that particular area.......ahem!  Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Not at all like those same articles so thoughtfully provided for the real Pharaoh in his tomb. A total of 145 pairs in fact! 
SO important to have clean underwear in the Afterlife......you know what your Mother always told you! You never know when you might get hit by a chariot!

The accessories are also very well made and there are provisions for more than just the seated pose as he has a full length cloak and a large ceremonial spear, apart from the crook and flail.
A throne comes with the figure and I find it a bit strange that the manufacturer did not use the actual throne found in the tomb as a model. While it's well made it does have a very long seat, forcing the figure to sit right on the front edge. If you were to position the figure resting on the upright back, the legs would have to stick straight out most unnaturally.

Now to what was the major disappointment for me.
You do NOT get a proper "HEAD"!
I was expecting a headsculpt to go on the body, but the famous gold funerary mask and nemes headdress IS the headsculpt, so Pharaoh wears his funeral mask all the time!
This would have been very odd for the Egyptians,.......the original does not even have eye-piercings!
I have since tracked down a suitable head and will rectify this problem as soon as it arrives. A little ancient Egyptian eye-paint should do the trick I think.
Anyway, apart from the above, I was really pleased with the whole figure. 
Here's a quick set-up of Nebkheperure (his real name) on his throne.

King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure OR2juS

Last edited by LeStryge on Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rustygun
Mountaineer
Rustygun

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2021 9:38 am

Nice set up mate....
You’ve dived in to the “phicen “then...
Look good ...

Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2021 2:07 pm

Looks good Barry , I been waiting for you to get him and post some pics , you really make a good job of the backdrops / dioramas and seem to do it quickly Arrow For future reference it`s worth looking on YouTube before splashing out on high end figures , most end up on there be in reviewed , and I found it very useful in helping make decisions . They do generally show exactly what your getting ....and what your not . I hope you remembered to get a neckless head sculpt . And I look forward to seeing future photos .

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2021 2:16 pm

Really nice set. Good acquisition. In a few thousand years, his tomb will be discovered by your archaeologist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2021 8:10 pm

Chip wrote:
 I hope you remembered to get a neckless head sculpt . And I look forward to seeing future photos .
Thanks for the tip Chip, and yes, "neckless" is the one I ordered! I am a little concerned over the skin colour match, but the outfit covers way up over the neck so it shouldn't be too much of a problem visually. 
A lady friend suggested that as silicon picks up and holds tint and stain so readily perhaps some of the colours of what she called "blushers" may be effective for toning. I'll be painting the eyes anyway.

And yes Gary, I think there's definitely a tie in with my archaeologist coming up soon!  lol!
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2021 9:10 pm

LeStryge wrote:
King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure ...

It's my first.....dare I even say the word,....."Phicen".....or "seamless" if you must. (But not "semless" as this section has somehow been labelled!) ...

SO important to have clean underwear in the Afterlife......you might get hit by a chariot!

Well... I recall doing a LOT of reading about Tut's tomb in my younger youth, and still, I was not aware of his "real" name. Where did "Tutankhamun" come from, or was that a name also used?

As befitting royalty, the group title typo has been rectified. Thank you for pointing that out.

Okay... I laughed quite a bit at that "hit by a chariot" line. That was fun!

Your diorama setting is superb - filled with "wonderful things," and "everywhere the glint of gold." It sounds like the figure, for the most part, has met your expectations. That is unfortunate about lacking a "real" head, but the mask certainly looks superb. As only the funerary mask is provided, perhaps a sarcophagus would have made a more fitting accessory than a strangely contoured throne. It's a nice looking throne, though, with the cat motif.

Those shoes with the curled toes are fantastic! Good stuff all the way around! Thank you for so promptly setting up a scene to show off your new arrival!

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2021 2:08 am

SCU_HQ
Well... I recall doing a LOT of reading about Tut's tomb in my younger youth, and still, I was not aware of his "real" name. Where did "Tutankhamun" come from, or was that a name also used?

The Pharaoh, like all the others, had several names. (Usually five).
The young Pharaoh was originally designated Tutankhaten, but after the fall of his probable Father, the state religion was changed from Aten back to Amun, and his name was also changed to Tutankhamun. It's now obscenely shortened to "Tut" by the hoi polloi.
However Tutankhamun was still his second name and a far more private one, used only by family and very high officials. For any commoner to refer to him as that would have been sacrilege and would probably get you a very nasty fate.

His proper full name and title was Nesu Bity Nebkheperure Sa Ra Tutankhamun Hekaiunushema....and then a few more honorary titles would be added. (In all, quite a mouthful!)
The proper short manner of address would be Nesu Bity Nebkheperure.
In fact the cartouche most commonly shown in articles about him actually says exactly that.
See here:
King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure B5yiEK

The other problem comes about because the Ancient Egyptians never wrote down any vowel sounds. It was expected that the literate would just automatically know them.
Trouble is we don't, so guesses are made but in all probability if you went back in your time machine and asked for "Tutankhamun", you'd get a blank stare. Some, or indeed all those vowels could be incorrect.
Simple English type example:
If I wrote a word as "PT"...that's all, no vowels. What is it? Imagine all the vowel possibilities.
So is it Pat? Pet? Pit? Pot? or Put? All different sounds and meanings. 
Egyptian names all have many vowels.

King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Ax32Cu

PS apologies for the lecture, but you did ask!  lol!
FOOTNOTE: Finding a 1/6 cat that actually matched the cats in the ancient tomb paintings was more difficult!  lol!

Last edited by LeStryge on Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2021 2:49 am

Fascinating lecture! Thank you, Professor!

If you ever deign to join the hoi polloi at Instagram, you might take a look at the @vintage_egyptologist account of Drs. Colleen and John Darnell. Lots of deep dives in to Egyptology, combined with vintage fashion.

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2021 5:12 am

I do have a very deep interest in all things Egyptoid! 
Although almost totally fictional and highly imaginative, I am currently re-watching an excellent Blu-ray restoration of "The Ten Commandments" but only up to where Rameses returns after the Red Sea incident.
Can't really watch the rest once all the lavish Egyptian stuff is over.
Back to top Go down
Rustygun
Mountaineer
Rustygun

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2021 4:58 pm

Have you ever been to Egypt Barry, I went a few years ago , did the pyramids Sphinx etc...
always thought it was in the middle of nowhere but it’s right next to a big city ..

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2021 10:33 pm

Rustygun wrote:
Have you ever been to Egypt Barry,  I went a few years ago , did the pyramids Sphinx etc...
always thought it was in the middle of nowhere but it’s right next to a big city ..
Yes Dean, I have been to Egypt and what you say about the pyramids is absolutely true. 

King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure 3DG9FN

Suburban Cairo has been allowed to encroach on the pyramids for some time and now almost reaches the archaeological site. Water from the septic systems is now causing serious damage to the area that has been dry for thousands of years. The water table is rising and with it comes salt, splitting and flaking the ancient stone work. 
The pyramids are invariably photographed from the one angle to give the impression they are way out in the desert, but just cast a glance the other way and you are in the midst of suburbia. 
The site is also completely infested with very persistent touts and purveyors of crappy souvenirs, or demanding you be photographed (for a ridiculously high fee of course) sitting on one of their damn flea-ridden dromedaries.
I was lucky enough to go inside the larger pyramid virtually alone. (It's usually very crowded.) Cost money (of course!  Rolling Eyes), but totally worth it.

Last edited by LeStryge on Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rustygun
Mountaineer
Rustygun

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2022 8:31 am

I also experienced , the dodgy crappy memento sellers , I remember the party we were with, we were told not to let any one , take a photo of you , including the police , as they would demand money , the first thing one of our party did was to let a police officer take a photo of her , then chased her round for money....???..
I went inside the pyramid also , found it very claustrophobic walking, or crouching down the tunnel to get to the main area ...
Great experience though...

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2022 10:42 am

Yes it is claustrophobic indeed. You enter through the old thieves tunnel, but remember it was never intended for anyone to walk inside the pyramid after it was sealed. 
A huge advantage of paying a lot of money came at the sarcophagus where I was actually allowed to....well do what tourists can't but no amount of pleading or further money would allow any photos to be taken. In fact we had to leave all phones/cameras in the car ....and he physically searched us to make sure! 
I think our "guide" (?) might have been severely compromised if any photos of his almost certainly clandestine "tour" got out. 
Pretty sure he was doing it illegally, but as you will no doubt know, everything in Egypt is accomplished with a hefty bribe. Money does indeed "talk", and he was probably making a fortune.
Still, as you say...great experience though !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2022 3:25 am

LeStryge wrote:
 .....like those same articles so thoughtfully provided for the real Pharaoh in his tomb. A total of 145 pairs in fact! 
SO important to have clean underwear in the Afterlife......you might get hit by a chariot!
So what brand of underwear did Nebkheperure wear?
Why "Fruit of the Tomb" of course!  lol!
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2022 8:44 am

Very nice figure Barry! the detailing looks incredible bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2022 8:52 pm

Blondeactionman wrote:
Very nice figure Barry! the detailing looks incredible bounce bounce bounce
Yes Dal, I must say I was very pleased with the outfit and the accessories.
 I have since bought a suitable headsculpt and a second gold mask. (Yes, MORE money!) I will carefully remove the face from the new mask, leaving just the headdress, which hopefully will fit onto the head, giving a more realistic appearance.
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2022 11:59 pm

Not that I would intentionally try to tempt you or anything, but... have you seen the TBLeague Rameses figure?

https://giantoy.com/products/1-6-tbleague-pl2021-182-ramesses-the-great-action-figure-a-b-c

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2022 12:51 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
Not that I would intentionally try to tempt you or anything, but... have you seen the TBLeague Rameses figure?

https://giantoy.com/products/1-6-tbleague-pl2021-182-ramesses-the-great-action-figure-a-b-c
Yes, Rameses was certainly under consideration when I opted for the one I did buy. Still tempted though, it's a great figure, I do like the face and ....because, ...well, "Egyptian"!  farao  cheers cheers cheers
Strange as it may seem in view of my collection, I also briefly looked at this below, but the ridiculously overstated proportions went against it.
She could have floated cross the Red Sea with that pneumatic life-vest!
And despite what the movies show, ancient Egyptian women did not wear those damn Hollywood red lips!
TBLeague Egyptian Nefertiti 1/6th Scale Action Figure PL2020-164 - Sugo Toys | Australian Premium Collectable Store

Last edited by LeStryge on Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2022 2:49 am

The Nefertiti figure looks really nice! Sold out most places, unfortunately. I wonder if the figure as produces was actually that well endowed? I do not recall seeing a TBLeague body that is quite so exaggerated.

I gather that this Aset figure is Egyptian-inspired. She's also less buoyant:
https://giantoy.com/products/1-6-tbleague-pl2021-185-aset-goddess-of-magic-black-action-figure

The Bastet figure is interesting, but to my eye the head looks too small relative to the... yeah.
https://giantoy.com/products/1-6-tbleague-pl2021-181-cat-goddess-bastet-action-figure
Plus, obviously, there were not actually cat-headed Egyptian Priestesses.
Uhm... were there?
scratch

I thought the Rameses head might work for Tut... I mean, for Nebkheperure.

Here's a little relic from the era during which the tomb was uncovered:

Apparently the song was resurrected for the TV series Boardwalk Empire a few years (or was it a decade) ago:

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2022 3:22 am

It is not recorded that Nefertiti's chest was used as the model for the pyramids of Giza.

Aset is actually now more commonly known by her Greek name..."Isis". Very important Egyptian (and later Roman) goddess, and very likely the model for the Virgin Mary.

She was the Goddess of healing and magic.
That figure is more than a little "Hollywood-ised" and thus very reminiscent of that appalling movie "Gods of Egypt".
(How you could make such a crap movie with that wonderful material is beyond me, but there it is!)
Why can't the designers of those female Phicen things ever get past over-pushing the damn "sexy" aspect?  Borders on the creepy at times.
Why can't it just be a more realistic portrayal of an attractive woman, rather than invariably looking like some surgically enhanced lap-dancer from a "Hooters" theme night?

The Bastet suffers from exactly what you say. 
And just like my bloke, with Bastet I suspect you don't get any other head but that cat thing, making the figure of limited use except for static display.

Loved the old record! Very funny.
The discovery of the tomb set off fashions for Egyptomania in just about everything from music, furniture, jewellery and decoration.
Here's an even zanier take on "King Tut" (sic) by Steve Martin
King Tut - SNL - YouTube

Last edited by LeStryge on Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2022 2:47 pm

If your keen on the Rameses figure Barry , I would get it sooner rather than later , it`s very likely to get more expensive and harder to pick up .

Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2022 5:06 pm

Oh yes, I fondly remember Steve Martin's "King Tut," which was released during the Second Wave of Egyptomania, when the "Treasures of Tutankhamun" was touring the States back in the... omg, was it really that long ago?
Crying or Very sad

The Osiris fig looks well detailed and intimidating... and has a "human" head:
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/168944

Do I suddenly "need" and Egyptian-themed figure in my collection?

There's a 1/12 scale version of Anubis that's more "budget friendly." scratch

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2022 9:49 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
Love the medieval(?) inspired armour on an ancient Egyptian, ...and notice how it still manages to leave the highly vulnerable stomach unprotected!
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2022 10:45 pm

LeStryge wrote:
SCU_HQ wrote:
Love the medieval(?) inspired armour on an ancient Egyptian, ...and notice how it still manages to leave the highly vulnerable stomach unprotected!

When you have abs of steel you don't need armor!

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2022 4:31 am

We here weatherwise are currently getting almost constant heavy rain from a cyclone called ........"SETH" would you believe?
Seth being the Ancient Egyptian God of storms, disorder and warfare.
He's certainly pouring it on, as we haven't seen any sunshine for over two weeks now.
Might have to make a few suitable offerings and pour a couple of libations to the bloke and see if he'll let up!
It's WET!
King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure 6aEuux
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next