ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2022 4:55 am

You’ve mentioned before, I believe, that Australia has two seasons: fire and flood!

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2022 1:37 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
You’ve mentioned before, I believe, that Australia has two seasons: fire and flood!
Sounds a little like Californian weather, where if it's not burning down, it's being washed away in a land-slip.
Good thing is we don't get those things here.

Last edited by LeStryge on Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2022 10:33 pm

Just bought one of these for Nebkheperure. 
It's much closer to the one that was buried in his tomb, and miraculously almost identical in size to the imaginary throne that came with the figure.
(In truth it's a jewellery box, but I'm not telling him that.)

King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure - Page 2 NSufSj
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2022 11:37 pm

Wow! Now that is seriously cool! I hope the scale works out!

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2022 11:44 pm

According to the dimensions given in the listing it should fit perfectly but as we all have learned, that's not always the case.
Here's hoping!
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2022 8:53 pm

You have an uncanny knack of finding props Barry , I am looking forward to seeing it with your figure .

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2022 9:38 pm

Chip wrote:
You have an uncanny knack of finding props Barry , I am looking forward to seeing it with your figure .
Me too Chip! HOPEFULLY those dimensions given were correct.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2022 9:09 pm

Although I am still very pleased with my Egyptian Pharaoh figure, I do have some issues with it being sold as "Pharaoh Tutankhamun".

The only aspect of it having anything to do with that historical person is the gold funerary mask, which is provided as the ONLY head sculpt. (My one disappointment!) 
While the rest of the costume and accessories are great in themselves, they are not representations of anything else found in his tomb, but some imaginary versions of fanciful Egyptian-style items.
With such superb documentation of the contents of his tomb being freely available , there was a great opportunity to do a very timely serious commemorative release, with all the pieces being very closely based on the actual items. 
I would have paid double or more for such an issue! 

Then there's the size. Historically, people were smaller, and since we have Nebkheperure's actual body, we can work out that he stood a rather frail looking 5' 6" tall, allowing for any shrinkage due to the mummification process.
The 1/6 scale figure is a full 12" tall, and also very muscular, which would make the 18 year old boy-king a big burly six footer when of course he was nothing of the sort.

I'm not sure if this same problem occurs with other "historical" figurative issues, although just by looking at the ads for Queen NeferTITI, you can see that she's plainly ridiculously proportioned, which can only be an attempt  to present her as some sort of "sexy" figure, rather than any actual person.

Now that I have provided the figure with a proper headsculpt, (it does NOT look anything like reconstructions of the real Pharaoh, none being available), it has become another person altogether, ...a far more muscular Pharaoh type rather that any representation of the supposed King it was named for. 

I am also de-constructiong the gold mask back to just the nemes headdress so that it can be worn by my "new" figure.

Last edited by LeStryge on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2022 11:04 pm

Your observations and disappointments are nothing new sadly Barry . I am sure it`s across the board . My major niggle is how tall most the Asian figures that get released are . It`s hard to get shorter figures , and if you did , you would have to modify the uniforms as these are of course " Standard " 12 inch size . Of course it`s all down to cost I imagine , as the bodies and accessories are universal so they can be used for all figures in the 12 inch range . We are a lot more lucky than we used to be , there is more diversity now than there was , but you have to look hard for it . Dare I say , you can get some skinny Male Phicen figures , though likely the same height , they are not the body builder types , and maybe  more fitting for your needs .

https://hegemony77.typepad.com/.a/6a0133ecd85fa6970b022ad3b73354200b-600wi

That`s the M31 I believe .....I can here you sighing . Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2022 1:20 am

Thanks Chip, ...yes I know there are skinnier figures available, but my primary beef is that if you are going to label, promote and sell a figure as "PHARAOH TUTANKHAMUN", (which it was!) , then at least you could go some ways towards making it actually represent him.
As mentioned, I would have gone into serious hock for an authentic release containing not only a reasonable facsimile of the young Pharaoh himself, (WITH a headsculpt!), but also a few neat accessories based on actual artifacts from the tomb.
AND I'm sure it would be a BIG seller to other like-minded collectors too.
Shouldn't be too hard considering the quality of the things that did come with it are pretty good, ....just not authentic.

It's really just a fantasy figure as it comes now, .....not even remotely representative of who it purports to be, BUT TRADING ON HIS FAMOUS NAME!
And naturally like all of this stuff, it wasn't cheap.

Anyways, now I have A Pharaoh, and I like him well enough....he's just NOT "King Tut" !!!   Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure - Page 2 09Ud7A
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2022 3:51 am

As an addenda to this review, I have since been in contact with SUGOTOYS (who carry this item) regarding some inaccuracies in the list of items supposedly included in the set.
They say they got the list directly from TBLeague, (who should know better about their own product!)

First up the list clearly stated that it included a "headsculpt with rooted hair". 
This was my real concern because I didn't get one at all, and if it had been overlooked, then I certainly wanted it .
Sugotoys checked for me and confirmed that it did NOT! Only the gold death mask is included.
I think this is a quite serious matter. Suitable headsculpts are not cheap to buy, and going by the list I was certainly expecting to get one.

On a matter of somewhat less importance, the manifest also clearly stated that the Phicen figure included was as they so delicately put it, "fully anatomically correct".
It isn't! No exterior plumbing at all.  Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Okay, no big deal for a display figure, but if you are going to put up a list of what's included for potential buyers, it's probably a good idea to get it right? 

Sugotoys have thanked me for bringing this matter to their attention and are now amending their listing.
I might add that they are an excellent company to deal with. Highly recommended!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure   King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

King Tutankhamun ....or Nebkheperure
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2