ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Nice complete Jeep needs resto! Some pics and tips as I go!

Go down 
+2
BAMComix
Sparkys6887
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Nice complete Jeep needs resto!  Some pics and tips as I go! Empty
PostSubject: Nice complete Jeep needs resto! Some pics and tips as I go!   Nice complete Jeep needs resto!  Some pics and tips as I go! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 12:59 am

The Jeep was part of my recent collection purchase. It's close to being all there, missing the trailre chains, hose, and spare mount on the right side. It also had some 70s vintage carpeting, which lasted about 10minutes. The dude I got it from is the best auto bodyman and restorer I've ever known and I've been in the business for over 30 years. Apparently he saw his calling early on, and decided to accent the Jeep with permanent marker trim too! As you all know it can be a bugger to remove. I've been experimenting and have come up with what may be a possible solution.

I used a rag with denatured alcohol, and old #7 rubbing compound (usually used with water), so far I've been pretty successful. Before and after pics of the rear bumper below.

Nice complete Jeep needs resto!  Some pics and tips as I go! 102_2465Medium
Nice complete Jeep needs resto!  Some pics and tips as I go! 102_2467Medium
Nice complete Jeep needs resto!  Some pics and tips as I go! 102_2466Medium
Nice complete Jeep needs resto!  Some pics and tips as I go! 102_2468Medium

Edit, better pic of the rear bumpers!

Thanks, Rick
Back to top Go down
Sparkys6887
Arctic Explorer
Sparkys6887

PostSubject: Re: Nice complete Jeep needs resto! Some pics and tips as I go!   Nice complete Jeep needs resto!  Some pics and tips as I go! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 1:43 am

Well done on removing the pen Rick that's a great job. What is denatured alcohol. Is it mEthanol that has been exposed to air??? Keep up the good work and tips too.

Mark
Back to top Go down
http://www.creativecounselling.net

PostSubject: Re: Nice complete Jeep needs resto! Some pics and tips as I go!   Nice complete Jeep needs resto!  Some pics and tips as I go! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 2:39 am

Sparkys6887 wrote:
Well done on removing the pen Rick that's a great job. What is denatured alcohol. Is it mEthanol that has been exposed to air??? Keep up the good work and tips too.

Mark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

Best thing is that, unlike acetone, it usually doesn't harm hard plastics, I always test first!

Rick
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Nice complete Jeep needs resto! Some pics and tips as I go!   Nice complete Jeep needs resto!  Some pics and tips as I go! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 9:00 am

stunning job Rick, looking forward to seeing more cheers
Back to top Go down
Tof
Flock Head (Hard Hands)
Tof

PostSubject: Re: Nice complete Jeep needs resto! Some pics and tips as I go!   Nice complete Jeep needs resto!  Some pics and tips as I go! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:13 am

thanks for the idea
Back to top Go down
http://forumdugroupactionjoe.xooit.fr/index.php
Danthecoat
Crash Crew
Danthecoat

PostSubject: Re: Nice complete Jeep needs resto! Some pics and tips as I go!   Nice complete Jeep needs resto!  Some pics and tips as I go! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:36 am

Great tip im looking forward to seeing this finished Rick Smile
Back to top Go down
vam78
New Recruit
vam78

PostSubject: Re: Nice complete Jeep needs resto! Some pics and tips as I go!   Nice complete Jeep needs resto!  Some pics and tips as I go! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 4:02 pm

Hairspray will do the job (cheapest one you can find is OK).

Actually, by adding alcohol, you reverse the process that was used when using the pen (when the alcohol vaporated and the ink was left on the surface).

Be careful with aceton because it will remove the ink, but it will damage the plastic as well !

So use hairspray and be patient, it will come off.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nice complete Jeep needs resto! Some pics and tips as I go!   Nice complete Jeep needs resto!  Some pics and tips as I go! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:02 pm

vam78 wrote:
Hairspray will do the job (cheapest one you can find is OK).

Actually, by adding alcohol, you reverse the process that was used when using the pen (when the alcohol vaporated and the ink was left on the surface).

Be careful with aceton because it will remove the ink, but it will damage the plastic as well !

So use hairspray and be patient, it will come off.

I never tried the hairspray. Another interesting tip.

Acetone is a no no, on most plastics. It does work sometimes, but absolutely needs to be tested on a scrap piece first. The harder plastics I guess mostly styrene will surely be damaged. Some of the softer ones maybe more of a vinyl base, like the animals and rafts, it does work, but should always be tested.

Even with the alcohol, never touch the original painted surfaces that you want to keep, like the Jeep markings, or helmet lettering, unless it's absolutely necessary, try some diluted alcohol, but never ever acetone!

So far, I've had good luck either with just the denatured alcohol, or if heavy, the added compound. I can't stress it enough. !TEST FIRST!

Now off to buy some cheap hairspray!
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Nice complete Jeep needs resto! Some pics and tips as I go!   Nice complete Jeep needs resto!  Some pics and tips as I go! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 8:07 pm

Nice ink removal job Rick!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nice complete Jeep needs resto! Some pics and tips as I go!   Nice complete Jeep needs resto!  Some pics and tips as I go! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nice complete Jeep needs resto! Some pics and tips as I go!
Page 1 of 1