ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge Empty
PostSubject: The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge   The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2024 7:34 pm

The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge 53623463913_975f2af6e1_c
Page_1
by Gary  Menten, on Flickr

This challenge is open to all members, all collections.  

Vunga-Vunga is a mysterious island in the South Pacific, inhabited by unfriendly natives, volcano virgins, and all sorts of nasty critters.  It also has caves.  Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to pose one or more of your figures in a cave setting representing one of the the many caves of Vunga-Vunga.

Rules and parameters;  

1. You must use a background and if you like a full dio that looks like a cave. Simple crumpled brown paper background like the one I'm using in the photos below is perfectly fine, though if you have something better, or if you want to add stuff to it, that's fine also.  As long as it passes for a cave.

2. You may use male or female figures. No limit as to how many.

3. The figures must be dressed for adventure / combat and armed. There are lots of dangerous critters in the caves of Vunga-Vunga.

4. If a all possible, use un-diffused directional lighting to cast shadow detail on the cave walls.

5. You may make multiple posts, and you may post as many images as you like.  

6.  Speech balloons or captions are optional.

7. Humour is appreciated, but not required. Some of folks have no sense of humour anyway.

8.  Photos must be your own, and new.  They may not have been posted before.  They must be created for this challenge.

9.  Villains are welcome. The challenge is not limited to images of good guys. Bad guys have just as much right to risk their lives on Vunga-Vunga as good guys.

That's about it. Have fun. I hope to see some posts. There is no time limit to this.

The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge 53623591924_c88506a107_c
Page_2

The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge 53623460093_30c3538baf_c
Page_3

The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge 53622373377_2cb30961e9_c
Page_4

The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge 53623460243_1fea2f45a8_c
Page_5

The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge 53623459538_c9fe1b8e12_c
Page_6

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge   The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2024 7:21 am

Now this looks like a fun challenge! Here is what I came up with and a few behind the scenes to show how easy it is bounce  . Now, in my opinion. the older and more crumpled the brown paper, the better. My advice, when not in use, keep the brown paper balled up in a tight ball.

Behind the scenes. I use a black sheet pinned to a board, using drawing pins. I used the same drawing pins to hold the brown paper in place, As I draped the paper i created creases to hide the pins Wink .

The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge 53624850603_0f289f2f6b_cRock Wall Challenge (1) by Dal Lee, on Flickr

Then i added some plastic plants,

The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge 53624850613_bf59a675a9_cRock Wall Challenge (2) by Dal Lee, on Flickr

The final pics.

The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge 53624852903_b7dda35789_cLouis Marques by Dal Lee, on Flickr
The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge 53624852983_2f780ddb2b_cTeegan Wilberforce. by Dal Lee, on Flickr
The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge 53624853078_3114067abb_cTeegan & Louis exploring - Rock Wall challenge. by Dal Lee, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge   The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2024 12:13 pm

Good tutorial Dal. A big part of the object of this challenge is to demonstrate how easy it is to create simple, inexpensive an effective backgrounds for photos. You have achieved the aim.

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge   The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2024 1:06 pm

Kimono Troop Command wrote:
Good tutorial Dal. A big part of the object of this challenge is to demonstrate how easy it is to create simple, inexpensive an effective backgrounds for photos. You have achieved the aim.

Thanks Gary! it really is a great way to make a quick and easy scene bounce .
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge   The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2024 2:26 pm

So just to carry on with the demonstration theme and show how I approached the problem, which is a bit different from the way Dal did it....

As Dal mentioned, the older and dirtier the paper is, the better. In my case, I actually stained it with some watered down acrylic paints from an art supply store, using different shades of red-brown.

I set the photo backdrop back a bit here, so that it's nicely out of focus and arranged the edge of the paper to look like the entrance of a cave or the corner of a rock face. The single light source is a an undiffused Nikon portable flash, off camera and high, remotely controlled by my camera, but you can achieve the same effect with any lamp that has an unfrosted bulb. The sharp, directional light creates harsh shadows on the walls of the cave / rocks, creating a more three-dimensional look.

Close cropping the image and using my editing software to enhance contrast and colour saturation complete the look.

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge   The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2024 3:12 am

The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge 53626625668_3dcd26eae8_c
smoking
by Gary Menten, on Flickr

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge   The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2024 4:21 am

The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge 53639206433_96b5e17fa4_c
Paper thin
by Gary Menten, on Flickr

BAMComix and TNshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge   The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2024 10:38 am

A few more, just brown paper this time,

The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge 53639646693_426a8ff5fc_cLady Lara - Caves - Rock Wall challenge. by Dal Lee, on Flickr

The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge 53639765644_ce9c74bafc_cSonja Caves - Rock Wall challenge. by Dal Lee, on Flickr

TNshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge   The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2024 2:15 pm

Very effective, however the more I compare unstained paper to stained or painted paper, the more I think that in future, I'll only be using paper that's been stained, preferably with different shades.

Back to top Go down
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge   The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2024 7:31 pm

I’m really really liking these pictures Dal.

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge   The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2024 2:45 am

Kimono Troop Command wrote:
Very effective, however the more I compare unstained paper to stained or painted paper, the more I think that in future, I'll only be using paper that's been stained, preferably with different shades.  

May I ask what and how you stain the paper?

Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge   The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2024 3:24 am

Diluted acrylic paints, and some spray paint as well. I used two colours here; a red-brown first, then over that, some patches of a more earthy brown.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge   The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Caves of Vunga-Vunga Photo Challenge
Page 1 of 1