ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)

Go down 
+11
blueboxier
Reddragon
Rossini
TheOneManKid
Sparkys6887
somekindajoe
Professor Gangrene Fan
Beatlefan
AManfromcoalville
Ddaydawson
Wolf_Soldier64
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Empty
PostSubject: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 10:03 pm

This is most of my very limited collection rescued recently from the loft at mum's now sported by a replacement figure:

The objective was to reconstruct what could be salvaged from ‘the old biscuit tin’ with mostly new replacement parts. The original play period was from 1970 to 1972 approx. A lot of the original kit had been broken or lost. The uniforms were very dirty, but generally good; they had to be hand laundered and dried with care. Slight fading occurred, but look in good condition now.

The German Stormtrooper kit has been reconstructed mostly with replacement parts from Modellers Loft along with a sewing kit. But the uniform. boots, belt, helmet and backpack are all original. He gets a spare green cap.

The British Infantryman is mostly as is, but the canteen kit was bought on eBay recently and the medal is new although it looks 'aged'. The British Infantryman kit is made up of bits from all over. The basic uniform was mine originally, but the hat, gas mask, gaiters and boots come from some replacements I bought in the 80s. The gas mask bag was ‘borrowed’ from a playmate back in the day and the sten gun came from my original Action Soldier (I made a new ammo clip from a felt pen top shirt clip). I've added the Action Soldier blue beret, binoculars and a scarf just to make it look a little more interesting. He also has a new Elite Brigade web belt and commando knife. The helmet is hanging on the gas mask bag and the gas mask is tucked in the bag.

The winter kit is a subset of the British Infantryman in order to utilize some of my favourite bits left over into a 'complete' uniform i.e. the black wool hat, winter/snow anorak, grey backpack, plus a new khaki sweater and scarf.

I have a Scramble Pilot under construction; will post it later some time when it is complete.

70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Img_5510
70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Img_5511
70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Img_5610
70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Img_5611
70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Img_5612
70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Img_5613

As for my original action man, well as you can see he has returned to the 21st century discovering the internet and entered on a journey of self-realization (apparently not the Zen kind!) The mind boggles as what he is watching on the laptop, but I guess the cocked sailor's hat may give it away! Probably a result of being locked in solitary for 40 years; my bad! Those dodgy chatlines; never use them myself. Razz 

Having limbs held together with zip ties is probably not helping either. Laughing 

70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Img_5614
70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Img_5615
Back to top Go down
Wolf_Soldier64
Wolf_Soldier64

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 10:07 pm

Well rescued, form the loft, excellent photos great up load Very Happy 

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 10:20 pm

they look great wont take much to get your orig back in action
Back to top Go down
Ddaydawson
Painted Head
Ddaydawson

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 11:13 pm

Very Nice figures Action Malph. Well rescued.
Back to top Go down
Rossini
Red Devil
Rossini

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 11:30 pm

Great upload! I love what you've done with the uniforms.

Flock Head
AManfromcoalville

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 20, 2013 11:50 pm

cheers cheers cheers 'Pick 'n' mix!!!' The original and absolute best! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 

Arctic Explorer
Sparkys6887

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 12:21 am

Well done Ralph and I do believe the orange epuletes on your stormtrooper, (which looks great by the way) are sort after and there is debate as to whether they came with the colditz set?
Back to top Go down
http://www.creativecounselling.net
Beatlefan
Admin
Beatlefan

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 9:12 am

Great set of uniforms ActionMalph!!!

You have done a great job putting them together, love the British Infantryman.

Great upload mate. Very Happy

70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Volgan10
Back to top Go down
Danthecoat
Crash Crew
Danthecoat

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 9:21 am

That is absolutely Vamtastic cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers I love these kinds of collections they are true childhood pleasures.

i love it if i buy a genuine collection of bits and bobs i just cant wait to get it home and piece it al together and fix up any casualties Smile

Its one of the biggest pleasures with the hobby !!!! I just bought a lot from Much Diggums on another site and i cant wait to dig through it all cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers 

Well done for posting mate and thank you so much for sharing Smile

Anything you need to finish things off just ask in the wanted section we are a pretty helpful bunch here cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers 

Made my morning Smile
Back to top Go down
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 9:26 am

When I was scrolling down the page looking through photos of your Collection ActionMalph I was not expecting the last two photos photographed so lol! lol! lol! lol! .

ActionMalph wrote:

70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Img_5615

Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 10:09 am

always great to read of rescued vam ! and they all look terrific !! the addition of the beret to he standard soldier looks great ! Also, cable ties to hold him together, in genius !!Top troops and top post my friend !
Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 11:58 am

Danthecoat wrote:
That is absolutely Vamtastic I love these kinds of collections they are true childhood pleasures.
It dosen't get any better than putting old troopers back together! Fantastic collection Ralph. bounce 

..and i'm so glad this guy is enjoying the 21st century!!

lol! lol! 

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 1:05 pm

...thanks guys for all the positive feedback it actually took quite a lot of effort to fix it all up and get the replacement bits and then do the pictures (actually my wife did the photography for me).

I would like some advice on how to fix up the old action man figure. One idea I had was to buy a 40th doll and do a 'Frankenstein' on it and then get the head re-flocked, but then in a way that may spoil its 'vintage' charm. The other way would to just get some VAM limbs from somewhere I suppose (all are broken actually, the fractures are not visible on the legs that's all) and try to maintain that charm. Or I could just leave it as it is as the missus suggests and store it away as a casualty. Not sure which way to go with it. I'd appreciate your opinions.

I used to love to mix and match as a kid and I think I may keep that approach as I start to build the new collection. I'd like to buy some nice VAM uniforms from which to build from, but not sure where to go. The stuff on eBay mostly looks a bit past it and in poor condition. Action Man Day 3?
Back to top Go down
Sparkys6887
Arctic Explorer
Sparkys6887

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 1:12 pm

I'd say keep it Vintage mate. Dan never likes to see a man down so may be able to help. Sadly I don't have any body parts to give but it's a generous, supportive site and someone might be able to help.

As for AM Day three. Oh yes go and take twice as much money as you thought you'd spend. Spent my entire budget within minutes of arriving at AM Day two lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.creativecounselling.net
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 7:37 pm

Sparkys6887 wrote:
Well done Ralph and I do believe the orange epuletes on your stormtrooper, (which looks great by the way) are sort after and there is debate as to whether they came with the colditz set?
...I cannot tell you what the set name was now after so long, I know that the outfit was bought between 1970 and 1972 most likely 1971; when did the Escape from Colditz set go on sale? The back pack came from a friend's collection if I remember correctly; so it may not be a stormtrooper after all? Surprised 
Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Sparkys6887 wrote:
I'd say keep it Vintage mate. Dan never likes to see a man down so may be able to help. Sadly I don't have any body parts to give but it's a generous, supportive site and someone might be able to help.

As for AM Day three. Oh yes go and take twice as much money as you thought you'd spend. Spent my entire budget within minutes of arriving at AM Day two lol
...yes, it would be interesting to see if anyone has a set of good condition limbs they would like to sell Very Happy He also has a loose foot; I think it is the right one, but I don't have it here to double check. I've never taken a figure apart before, but I see there are instructions available on the internet. Smile 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 11:37 pm

Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 7:36 pm

snow white wrote:
try this guy on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130782470787?var=430140826733&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Many thanks for the link 'snow white' re: body parts. I bought a left leg off eBay today for not very much money and I'll order the arm parts this coming week once I double check everything I need. The VAM is back in London. I'll post up some photos of his rebuild.
Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 9:45 pm

ActionMalph wrote:
snow white wrote:
try this guy on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130782470787?var=430140826733&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Many thanks for the link 'snow white' re: body parts. I bought a left leg off eBay today for not very much money and I'll order the arm parts this coming week once I double check everything I need. The VAM is back in London. I'll post up some photos of his rebuild.
Okay, ordered the parts, a pair of shoulders and a pair of forearms, along with the left leg I only need the thigh. The elbows are fine. The right leg may need some work later but will do for now.

It looks like the shoulders are pretty easy to hook into place, but I've just noticed that the leg is rivet and O ring; does anyone have any tips for making that reconnection as straight forward as possible?
Back to top Go down
Rossini
Red Devil
Rossini

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 10:42 pm

Message sparklebudgie mate! There are many on here to give advice but Brian is well reputed as the man who brings vam back from the brink of death! Also there a tips on here about actually repairing the splits on joints! I forget who posted though.

SCRAMBLE PILOT
Reddragon

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 11:42 pm

blueboxier
Arctic Explorer
blueboxier

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 1:46 pm

some good looking figures you got there man
Back to top Go down
Danthecoat
Crash Crew
Danthecoat

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 1:56 pm

ActionMalph wrote:
ActionMalph wrote:
snow white wrote:
try this guy on ebay
Okay, ordered the parts, a pair of shoulders and a pair of forearms, along with the left leg I only need the thigh. The elbows are fine. The right leg may need some work later but will do for now.

It looks like the shoulders are pretty easy to hook into place, but I've just noticed that the leg is rivet and O ring; does anyone have any tips for making that reconnection as straight forward as possible?
I have only just seen this Sad

I have lots of body parts mate and can do you a whole body less head and hands for £8 PM me when you get the chance Smile Alternatively i can do you some body parts.

Bit of a locking of doors after the horse etc etc but let me know if you need anything Smile

Brian (Sparklebudgie) is your man for any how to's to fixing up a man and i can do you a basic reflock, Brian can do you a more adventerous reflock (Colours Goatee Beards etc etc...) and Tony from Flocktastic can do you almost anything else, Bald Heads, Victorian Beards you name it he can do it so its up to you mate Smile

Its all here under one roof like Toysrus lol! lol! lol! 
Back to top Go down
Paintedhead5121
Painted Head (Hard Hands)
Paintedhead5121

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 2:13 pm

That is interesting to know. I need a left leg for a pre blue pants figure and have a need for some re flocking too.

Do you have a spare leg?.

Thanks

Paul
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 2:19 pm

There are some great flockers here on our site ! lol! lol! 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)   70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

70s Action Man (a hotchpotch of bits and bobs and odds and sods)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next