ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Removing un wanted paint from accessories etc

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Paintedhead5121
Painted Head (Hard Hands)
Paintedhead5121

Removing un wanted paint from accessories etc Empty
PostSubject: Removing un wanted paint from accessories etc   Removing un wanted paint from accessories etc Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 10:40 am

This will be stating the obvious to those in the know, but I have just discovered how good acetone / nail varnish remover is at stripping paint off stuff and wanted to share it with anyone else who doesn't know.

I have a few items that have been customised in the past by their original owners. I tried it on a M3 grease gun which I painted as a kid, and a Germam officer cap which had been painted up and the paint cleaned off no bother. In fact the German cap lost its original Palitoy paint too. I applied the NVR to a cotton bud and gently rubbed, it took quite a few cotton buds as they did not work when clogged with paint.

It seems to me to be a gentler solvent than using cellulose thinners which was my first thought, and neither the plastic or rubber surfaces seem to have suffered any ill effects. I was concerned that cellulose thinners would damage the hard plastic of the gun.

I will be trying it next on my Land Rover which is sporting lovely blue wheels at the moment.

Paul
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Removing un wanted paint from accessories etc   Removing un wanted paint from accessories etc Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 10:51 am

for tougher paint I use Fairy power spray - works well on stripping scalextric cars without damage but have never tried on VAM so dont know if there would be any damage
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Removing un wanted paint from accessories etc   Removing un wanted paint from accessories etc Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 1:06 pm

Careful with acetone! It can dissolve the plastic too...

Brake fluid is one of the best paint strippers, and Forza Oven cleaner works miracles with hobby paints. It's indispensable too to remove fused scuba suits off reluctant figures  What a Face 
Back to top Go down
Paintedhead5121
Painted Head (Hard Hands)
Paintedhead5121

PostSubject: Re: Removing un wanted paint from accessories etc   Removing un wanted paint from accessories etc Icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 1:09 pm

Thanks for letting me know about the perils of acetone as a paint stripper.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Removing un wanted paint from accessories etc   Removing un wanted paint from accessories etc Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Removing un wanted paint from accessories etc
Page 1 of 1