ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Percy the mine sweeper.

Go down 
+4
BAMComix
gibri
inntruderr61
somekindajoe
8 posters
AuthorMessage
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

Percy the mine sweeper. Empty
PostSubject: Percy the mine sweeper.   Percy the mine sweeper. Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2016 9:54 pm

A few people have asked about the 'UNIT' Minesweeper/Personnel Carrier in my loft thread pics so I thought I'd do a thread.

Percy the mine sweeper. DSCF3502_zpseuhqacgu

I got 'Percy' for xmas 1969 from my grandparents and it became my VAM's mainstay transport. They rode it into battle and on all thier secret missions!

Percy the mine sweeper. DSCF3503_zpsebqyshnq

The 'UNIT' name was obviously lifted from Dr Who although my cousin and I didn't see it as an acronym. Our VAM tean was 'Unit A', part of a larger formation. UNIT B accompanied our guys on missions now and then (VAM numbers permitting) and we'd often imagine Units C and D went on missions too.

Like any combat vehicle, Percy gained a few battle scars and graffiti.

Percy the mine sweeper. DSCF3508_zpsixf2refw

'Road Hogs' were quite a thing in the early 70's!

Percy the mine sweeper. DSCF3505_zpsmsseroau

Percy had a few modifications over the years. I don't remember who realised a single track section fitted around a wheel perfectly but it certainly improved Percy's speed!

Percy the mine sweeper. DSCF3504_zps33qrmm6o

Younger kids used to sit on Percy and ride it down the road so after a while some repairs were needed!

Percy the mine sweeper. DSCF3528_zpsswhgitmf

This pic may look wierd but...

Percy the mine sweeper. DSCF3509_zpsfg3lxc4w
...after getting a boxed Life Guard for my birthday and a carded Blues and Royals for xmas this is how my guys looked for a while around 1971.

Given Percy's long and illustrious service I thought I'd get the guys to give it a T-cut and polish.

Percy the mine sweeper. DSCF3519_zps8dcsd4um
A few hours of elbow grease later..

Percy the mine sweeper. DSCF3522_zpsqsb2gkws

Only joking! Percy 2 came from Ebay. The original Percy wears it's battle scars with pride!

Percy the mine sweeper. DSCF3526_zpsullgguv2

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Last edited by somekindajoe on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Percy the mine sweeper.   Percy the mine sweeper. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 1:08 am

Holy cow you scared me... lol!
Hearing such great history about "Percy" than all getting wiped
out by a clean job... affraid Shocked affraid

Anyhow superb! cheers lol! cheers

Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: Percy the mine sweeper.   Percy the mine sweeper. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 2:27 am

You had me going too, Steve.

Percy 2, or UNIT B looks great, but UNIT A will, no doubt, always have pride of place in the collection...

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Percy the mine sweeper.   Percy the mine sweeper. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 8:18 am

Very Happy Terrific stuff Steve!. The vehicle itself has a colourful history just like Joe, Hank, Cliff and all the skj boys! Whats a group of vam without their trusted vehicle??, for me my lads bombed around in a cherilea jeep! and a vam stripped down fire engine (long since gone now Sad ).
Back to top Go down
Glidah Drivah
Red Devil
Glidah Drivah

PostSubject: Re: Percy the mine sweeper.   Percy the mine sweeper. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 12:01 pm

Our best friends' children are obsessed with Thomas the Train, so I half-expected to see a little green train blown off the tracks by a mine!

What a great little multi-purpose vehicle! It's good that you kept him in his adventure-worn condition! The intact one shows how well-loved he has been. Can't wait to see what future adventures await Percy!

-Nate
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Percy the mine sweeper.   Percy the mine sweeper. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 1:16 pm

Like the crude but effective axle repair.

I too got a bit alarmed when you said you had repaired it.

It would be a crime to erase all that history.
Back to top Go down
Jet-
Medic
Jet-

PostSubject: Re: Percy the mine sweeper.   Percy the mine sweeper. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2016 5:24 pm

Great childhood vehicle Steve , I've still got a few of mine in the loft all with battle scars.
As kids we all used to ride down the street on them too , I think the half track was always the quickest without tracks f coarse. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Beatlefan
Admin
Beatlefan

PostSubject: Re: Percy the mine sweeper.   Percy the mine sweeper. Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2016 4:11 pm

Just caught up with this thread, great pics Steve!

Two great vehicles there mate, glad you left the original as it is.

cheers cheers

Percy the mine sweeper. Volgan10
Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: Percy the mine sweeper.   Percy the mine sweeper. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 12:32 pm

Pics repaired!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Percy the mine sweeper.   Percy the mine sweeper. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 1:01 pm

Terrific to see Percy again Steve bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
ActionYankee
Landing Signal Officer
ActionYankee

PostSubject: Re: Percy the mine sweeper.   Percy the mine sweeper. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2018 6:04 am

Here here, terrific pics.

That "new" one is used by those snobs over in UNIT B.

Want some GI Joe Adventure Team fun? Check out my Adventure Team Files Fan Site!
Back to top Go down
http://northernindependent.wixsite.com/n-i-films
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Percy the mine sweeper.   Percy the mine sweeper. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Percy the mine sweeper.
Page 1 of 1