ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Changing with the times?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SlackElastic
Medic
SlackElastic

Changing with the times? Empty
PostSubject: Changing with the times?   Changing with the times? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 25, 2017 8:17 am

Hi All,

This question pops up now and then... so it's more rhetorical that actually asked in earnest...

When I first started posting I was (not so) hard core on just pre '76.. up to the first hybrid EE... but absolutely not into Blue Pants and a million miles from MAM... now I like the Blue Pants, with a good eye stare mind you... still don't like the 'all night raver' faces... and the fact that their hands have still lasted goes a long way... I think the Ground/underwater/Artic Assault lines are really great and have become some of my favourite figures now... something that definitely wasn't on my radar 10 years ago.

and in terms of MAM... now I do have a soft spot for MAM... I like the villains, and have a little collection of figures.. and that is down to AMMO and the wide-range-ethos of the forum... getting more people involved and seeing their points of view and broadening my own...

I still absolutely love the early first issue WW2 VAM sets on a painted head... there are the business but I can see that I've embraced the later periods in the Palitoy/CPG Products era...

what about you guys?
What did you avoid or disregard.... and now embrace and collect?

Changing with the times? SlackOpsPaddy

Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/el_slackelastic/
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Changing with the times?   Changing with the times? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 25, 2017 10:07 am

What a great idea for a thread slack Very Happy . Has it really been ten years since we first met on a forum? Shocked . As you know, I have always had a fondness for the EE's, especially as one leads BAM HQ! lol! . At one time over half my collection was EE's Laughing . Then I met you, ghost, skj and too many other guys to mention (but you know who you are!) and your passions for fuzzies, and in particular PH's have definitely influenced my collection. All you guys have such wonderful complete uniforms that is started me down the road of putting these uni's together. One of my faves, like you slack is the arctic set, pyre quality. The we started AMMO and I tarted to meet our overseas collecters and my love of Joe took hold! lol! lol! . So most of my EE's disappeared to a new life in the U.S.A and helped me collect vintage Joes, figures I would never get rid of now.

Changing with the times? IMG_0166

Changing with the times? DSC00496

These are all vam/Joe now, A far cry from when I first popped up on the Action Man forums.

Changing with the times? 2all

After a while though, I started to drift back to the adventurers, a basic set, but always a fave of mine, I think because they are so versatile? That why my childhood five are a modern take on this. (Personally, I blame having a mix of figures now is because of having vam, mego, Steve Austin, lone ranger and the like as a kid, and TV shows like the A Team and other 70s and 80s shows). I had a James Bond mego figure as a kid, so as an adult collector, I had to have a modern version of my Roger Moore Bond,

Changing with the times? James_Bond_(Roger_Moore)_00__(2)

I also have found myself, drifting back to certain Star Wars characters, I do have a few Hasbro figures, but these are my favourite two.

Changing with the times? DSC00840

I have a fondness for mam, tho that comes mainly from buying them my son when he was younger. Like you mate, I do like the bad guys, although I have re bodied them, just a personal choice of mine, as I prefer better articulation Very Happy . I also think that the Rhino jeep, hummer and 4x4 are great vehicles for Action Man old or new! I own four mam figures in total, the sniper, the desert sas soldier and two James Bond (Boxed) Goldeneye and The Spy Who Loved Me?, yellow ski suit

As you know, I also collect female figures, (Johnny, I hold you as one of the reasons for this! lol! ), but again, they are soldiers or mercenaries in BAM HQ. I also do have a few 1/6 figures, but they are becoming so expensive, I am not sure how many more I will be adding now.
Back to top Go down
SlackElastic
Medic
SlackElastic

PostSubject: Re: Changing with the times?   Changing with the times? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 25, 2017 11:04 am

Blondeactionman wrote:
What a great idea for a thread slack Very Happy . Has it really been ten years since we first met on a forum? Shocked . As you know, I have always had a fondness for the EE's, especially as one leads BAM HQ! lol! . At one time over half my collection was EE's Laughing . Then I met you, ghost, skj and too many other guys to mention (but you know who you are!) and your passions for fuzzies, and in particular PH's have definitely influenced my collection. All you guys have such wonderful complete uniforms that is started me down the road of putting these uni's together. One of my faves, like you slack is the arctic set, pyre quality. The we started AMMO and I tarted to meet our overseas collecters and my love of Joe took hold! lol! lol! . So most of my EE's disappeared to a new life in the U.S.A and helped me collect vintage Joes, figures I would never get rid of now. These are all vam/Joe now, A far cry from when I first popped up on the Action Man forums.

Changing with the times? 2all

After a while though, I started to drift back to the adventurers, a basic set, but always a fave of mine, I think because they are so versatile? That why my childhood five are a modern take on this. (Personally, I blame having a mix of figures now is because of having vam, mego, Steve Austin, lone ranger and the like as a kid, and TV shows like the A Team and other 70s and 80s shows). I had a James Bond mego figure as a kid, so as an adult collector, I had to have a modern version of my Roger Moore Bond,

I also have found myself, drifting back to certain Star Wars characters, I do have a few Hasbro figures, but these are my favourite two.

I have a fondness for mam, tho that comes mainly from buying them my son when he was younger. Like you mate, I do like the bad guys, although I have re bodied them, just a personal choice of mine, as I prefer better articulation Very Happy . I also think that the Rhino jeep, hummer and 4x4 are great vehicles for Action Man old or new!  I own four mam figures in total, the sniper, the desert sas soldier and two James Bond (Boxed) Goldeneye and The Spy Who Loved Me?, yellow ski suit

As you know, I also collect female figures, (Johnny, I hold you as one of the reasons for this! lol! ), but again, they are soldiers or mercenaries in BAM HQ. I also do have a few 1/6 figures, but they are becoming so expensive, I am not sure how many more I will be adding now.

i think i'm heading in the same direction as you.... after a while we have our authentic collections but also it's about employing yourself as your own designer and making up your own team...     (S.L.A.K. is on it's way next by the way)... it's about the story... and the heritage and evolution of an individuals collection is what shapes that... AMMO Arms looks packed... but more than that it paints an environment and a story line.... your's is very 'LEON' I think but teamed up with the 'D' Team...
affraid  affraid

From here...

Changing with the times? SlackWWIItrenchdio12b

To here...

Changing with the times? 6731db45-c998-4a47-835e-f3bd056e5051 Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Changing with the times?   Changing with the times? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 25, 2017 11:44 am

Cheers slack Very Happy , I believe you right mate in everything you have said. I believe its the only way we can 'play' as adults and continue to have adventures with them. Somekindajoe is a great example of this with Joe and Hank at SKJ HQ Very Happy . His comics are always worth a look and full of humour, usually at the expense of poor old Major Mike lol!

I think it was your early diorama's that started me down the path of set building, it really is amazing what can be made with a bit of plywood Very Happy .

I am really looking forward to seeing team S.L.A.K. Very Happy , I know the characters will be awesome! cheers Especially when we look back at some of the others you have come up with bounce bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
ghost recon
Painted Head (Hard Hands)
ghost recon

PostSubject: Re: Changing with the times?   Changing with the times? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 25, 2017 11:59 am

Quite funny Slack as for me, I am the reverse of you. I started out whenever that time was. (I won't revisit that memory, it makes me feel old)
With EE's & this was purely based on the fact that my 1st figure as a child was the British police officer & his bike. I had kept him throughout the years visiting loft after loft as I moved. Over time I forgot about him until a pipe burst which was in the loft. So one fecked ceiling & ruined TV later. I saw him all dusty & laying quietly. The closest scene wise to toy story that you're ever going to get.
Anyway, down from his hide he came & then spent some time sat downstairs on a side. I then found myself trolling through ebay one day (not for AM) & a battered fuzzy head popped up as a buy it now for £6 all in. He was listed completely wrong so he was just sitting there, almost like fate I guess. He arrived all forlorn & I then had that.......Mmmm. I wonder if you can fix these up, I wonder if you can buy things still for them whilst always knowing those great production days were gone.
I typed in Action man on ebay at that point & OMFG! The pages of the net lit up with all these little guys staring back at me begging for that purchase to be made so that they could once more, go to battle.
I guess we kind of rescued each other at that point & this was how I first began to collect. I purchased EE after EE followed with the odd fuzzy here & there. I avoided the 1st issue PH like the plague. They couldn't hold sod all & as soldiers. A soldier that couldn't master the art of carrying his gun was a dead one to me so I never looked twice at them. Then, a auburn PH turned up the one day in a job lot with his dog tag to boot & a crisp 1st issue basic uni. His hair was as fresh as the day it was 1st painted. His eyes were lit up even though they too are painted. That way he led across the palm of my hand staring back up at me was my turning point. How blind I felt that I had been.
Probably about a year or so later I joined a forum & I had amassed quite a few figures that were EE's by majority. I shared my life & my collection away & felt I'd found not only fellow collectors that could see through my eyes, but friends too.
Then 1 day a C10 EE-TC standing proudly in front of the box he once used to sit on the shelves of stores in. Decided to commit suicide from a high top shelf that he stood on & that was the end of him. A year later Alan hall followed with the 40th range & well.........I'll not slate the idea etc, but Christ, those 40th EE's were ugly buggers! Their introduction in 06 put a stop to my EE collecting & to date, I have never owned one since. I am strictly 1st issue followed with a very close 2nd, fuzzy.
I've also, as many guys know, gone onto collecting 1-6 scale modern figures. To say I have a few would be an understatement! They fascinate me with how very realistic they are. Does this mean they are important love wise & or collection wise to me? Absolutely not! I could sell those in a heartbeat, but my PH's. You are going to have to end me 1st, dig a hole & throw me in before that's going to happen & even then. I'll haunt the MF that ended me Twisted Evil

Medic
SlackElastic

PostSubject: Re: Changing with the times?   Changing with the times? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 25, 2017 12:38 pm

ghost recon wrote:
Quite funny Slack as for me, I am the reverse of you. I started out whenever that time was. (I won't revisit that memory, it makes me feel old)
With EE's & this was purely based on the fact that my 1st figure as a child was the British police officer & his bike. I had kept him throughout the years visiting loft after loft as I moved. Over time I forgot about him until a pipe burst which was in the loft. So one fecked ceiling & ruined TV later. I saw him all dusty & laying quietly. The closest scene wise to toy story that you're ever going to get.
Anyway, down from his hide he came & then spent some time sat downstairs on a side. I then found myself trolling through ebay one day (not for AM) & a battered fuzzy head popped up as a buy it now for £6 all in. He was listed completely wrong so he was just sitting there, almost like fate I guess. He arrived all forlorn & I then had that.......Mmmm. I wonder if you can fix these up, I wonder if you can buy things still for them whilst always knowing those great production days were gone.
I typed in Action man on ebay at that point & OMFG! The pages of the net lit up with all these little guys staring back at me begging for that purchase to be made so that they could once more, go to battle.
I guess we kind of rescued each other at that point & this was how I first began to collect. I purchased EE after EE followed with the odd fuzzy here & there. I avoided the 1st issue PH like the plague. They couldn't hold sod all & as soldiers. A soldier that couldn't master the art of carrying his gun was a dead one to me so I never looked twice at them. Then, a auburn PH turned up the one day in a job lot with his dog tag to boot & a crisp 1st issue basic uni. His hair was as fresh as the day it was 1st painted. His eyes were lit up even though they too are painted. That way he led across the palm of my hand staring back up at me was my turning point. How blind I felt that I had been.
Probably about a year or so later I joined a forum & I had amassed quite a few figures that were EE's by majority. I shared my life & my collection away & felt I'd found not only fellow collectors that could see through my eyes, but friends too.
Then 1 day a C10 EE-TC standing proudly in front of the box he once used to sit on the shelves of stores in. Decided to commit suicide from a high top shelf that he stood on & that was the end of him. A year later Alan hall followed with the 40th range & well.........I'll not slate the idea etc, but Christ, those 40th EE's were ugly buggers! Their introduction in 06 put a stop to my EE collecting & to date, I have never owned one since. I am strictly 1st issue followed with a very close 2nd, fuzzy.
I've also, as many guys know, gone onto collecting 1-6 scale modern figures. To say I have a few would be an understatement! They fascinate me with how very realistic they are. Does this mean they are important love wise & or collection wise to me? Absolutely not! I could sell those in a heartbeat, but my PH's. You are going to have to end me 1st, dig a hole & throw me in before that's going to happen & even then. I'll haunt the MF that ended me Twisted Evil

It's been a journey that started with a leaking pipe... life is full of random redirects. ..1/6 is a fun path ..whatever next? affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changing with the times?   Changing with the times? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Changing with the times?
Page 1 of 1