ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question

Go down 
+2
inntruderr61
Professor Gangrene Fan
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Action Man
New Recruit
Action Man

Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Empty
PostSubject: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2017 11:39 am

I'm just trying to sort out my Polar Explorer set. It's been in storage for the past 47 years untouched. I'm trying to work out if my Quilted Sleeping Bag (35203) is supposed to belong to a different set as it's white and not blue. Or did these come in two colour variations ?
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2017 12:17 pm

I believe the white version came on an equipment card as an accessory to the polar set? I could be wrong though scratch
Back to top Go down
Action Man
New Recruit
Action Man

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2017 12:35 pm

Blondeactionman wrote:
I believe the white version came on an equipment card as an accessory to the polar set? I could be wrong though scratch

Mmmmm, the quilted bag issued singularly on a card was blue apparently. This one is identical but white. wasn't the single card issue the only way you could buy the quilted sleeping bag anyway ? Boy I'm confused confused
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2017 1:26 pm

Action Man wrote:
Blondeactionman wrote:

Mmmmm, the quilted bag issued singularly on a card was blue apparently. This one is identical but white. wasn't the single card issue the only way you could buy the quilted sleeping bag anyway ? Boy I'm confused confused

me too Sad . i too have a white version for my arctic lads, but as to where it came from originally?.., no idea scratch
Back to top Go down
Action Man
New Recruit
Action Man

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2017 2:46 pm

Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question 20171014_135723e09c2
Back to top Go down
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2017 5:04 pm

Now that sleeping bag looks warm and toasty.

Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2017 6:12 pm

Only ever seen them in blue , and looks like a zip is missing compared to the blue ones ? Wonder if it could be a Joe version or something ?

New Recruit
Action Man

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2017 8:24 am

Chip wrote:
Only ever seen them in blue , and looks like a zip is missing compared to the blue ones  ? Wonder if it could be a Joe version or something ?

Ah, well this white one doesn't have a zip, and there is no place for a zip, back or front.

Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question 20171014_135648
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: sleeping bag   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2017 9:08 am

Is it tagged?it may not be Action man.
Back to top Go down
Action Man
New Recruit
Action Man

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2017 12:41 pm

100% Action Man
Back to top Go down
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2017 3:07 pm

It looks incredibly clean for a 47 year old item, normally vam items look grubby at that age. Have you washed it recently?

Action Man
New Recruit
Action Man

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2017 3:12 pm

clivvers wrote:
It looks incredibly clean for a 47 year old item, normally vam items look grubby at that age. Have you washed it recently?

No, to cut a long story short (it's well documented elsewhere and I wont bore you with it again) my entire 1960's Action Man collection is in this condition.
Back to top Go down
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2017 3:40 pm

Action Man wrote:
clivvers wrote:

No, to cut a long story short (it's well documented elsewhere and I wont bore you with it again) my entire 1960's Action Man collection is in this condition.

That's very unique, most of my vam gear got lost and worn out though many a battle and it's probably the same with other members on AMMO, what's left in my dad's loft is a bit tatty and faded (sadly no figures) I was always playing with my vam outdoors when I was a youngster, me and friends used to set up big outdoor Saturday morning dioramas and play in the river with our divers and sailor Action Man figures. I think the outfit that took the most play use was my Red Devil set, It went skywards so many times in summer that the parachute got a sun tan and the colour also bled in the rain, I had to work with my dad on his window cleaning round to save up for the set, it was bought from Joylands toy shop on Kingston Road (sadly now long gone), but I can't remember what year? happy days. My first AM & Joe figures were paintheads back in the late 1960's.

Action Man
New Recruit
Action Man

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2017 3:51 pm

clivvers wrote:

That's very unique, most of my vam gear got lost and worn out though many a battle and it's probably the same with other members on AMMO, what's left in my dad's loft is a bit tatty and faded (sadly no figures) I was always playing with my vam outdoors when I was a youngster, me and friends used to set up big outdoor Saturday morning dioramas and play in the river with our divers and sailor Action Man figures. I think the outfit that took the most play use was my Red Devil set, It went skywards so many times in summer that the parachute got a sun tan and the colour also bled in the rain, I had to work with my dad on his window cleaning round to save up for the set, it was bought from Joylands toy shop on Kingston Road (sadly now long gone), but I can't remember what year? happy days. My first AM & Joe figures were paintheads back in the late 1960's.

I love these old stories, it's what it's all about. As I said in other posts, I was far too much of a girl to actually play with my stuff Laughing This is my Red Devil as it is today, in exactly the same condition as when I first opened it back in 1969 !

Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question 20171007_131512ebe46

Last edited by Action Man on Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2017 3:51 pm

Very nice Red Devil, definitely a favorite set with thousands, some of the best outdoor fun with Action Man involved parachutes and rivers!...

It looks like it's never been out for air sorties?, it's in mint condition!

Action Man
New Recruit
Action Man

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2017 3:57 pm

clivvers wrote:
It looks like it's never been out for air sorties?, it's in mint condition!

It hasn't. It was literally taken out the packet, then almost immediately stored away, where it's lain untouched with other Action Man stuff for the last 47 years, until that is, a few weeks ago when it was discovered in a loft. Great to now have it all in mint condition, but sadly no happy memories of actually playing with it.
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2017 4:09 pm

A fine example for sure! bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Action Man
New Recruit
Action Man

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2017 10:45 pm

Chip wrote:
Only ever seen them in blue , and looks like a zip is missing compared to the blue ones  ? Wonder if it could be a Joe version or something ?

Apparently not all of the Polar Explorer quilted sleeping bags, white or the blue had zippers stitched into them.
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 3:23 am

Is this the white bag? Or is this bag blueish? I can't tell...

Bag was sold as a carded accessory #35203 for the Polar Explorer in the early 1970's and is a worthy addition to any collection.

Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question 3520310

New Recruit
Action Man

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 6:13 am

I would say that's blue, it's really blue when I tilt my monitor screen backwards, especially if you compare the neck chord, which is certainly white, to the bag fabric. And looks pretty obvious that, that one doesn't have a zipper either.
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 2:40 pm

There was loads of odd items and colours that crept in the vintage range , it`s why I wonder if it was G.I Joe version , having never seen your version before , does not mean no more are out there , though it is obviously rather unique . It`s a shame so many collectors have left the hobby , I bet someone out there could of put some light on it for you .

New Recruit
Action Man

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 5:16 pm

Chip wrote:
It`s a shame so many collectors have left the hobby , I bet someone out there could of put some light on it for you .

Have they ? That's rather sad to hear.
Back to top Go down
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 6:26 pm

The carded sleeping bag just above:

The cellophane packet covering looks faintly yellowed with age in places, but only slightly (on my acer 27" LED monitor) also to my eyes, the sleeping bag looks like an off white colour with a hint of duck egg blue shade, the contrast can easily be seen against the pure white draw cord, the white stitching across the sleeping bag and the white inside lining, so the carded sleeping bag just above is definitely not pure white. I've been at my Humbrol paint interblend book again.

Looking on a lighter side, a vam sleeping bag would make a good polar w*lly warmer LOL!

This is an interesting thread  bounce

Action Man
New Recruit
Action Man

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 6:31 pm

clivvers wrote:

The cellophane packet covering looks faintly yellowed with age in places, but only slightly (on my acer 27" LED monitor) also to my eyes, the sleeping bag looks like an off white colour with a hint of duck egg blue shade, the contrast can easily be seen against the pure white draw cord, the white stitching across the sleeping bag and the white inside lining, so the carded sleeping bag just above is definitely not pure white. I've been at my Humbrol paint interblend book again.

Looking on a lighter side, a vam sleeping bag would make a good polar w*lly warmer LOL!

Indeed, it is duck egg blue, where as mine is pure snow white inside and out and is definitely a Palitoy release, only explanation: early on, they made some white ones as well as the blue versions.
Back to top Go down
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2017 6:42 pm

Action Man wrote:
clivvers wrote:

Indeed, it is duck egg blue, where as mine is pure snow white inside and out and is definitely a Palitoy release, only explanation: early on, they made some white ones as well as the blue versions.  

You are probably right, perhaps a certain amount of the early ones were made as pure white, so your sleeping bag can be considered to be quite rare. Palitoy did used to change things slightly throughout production... For example: The first version of Action Man flocking lasted about a year (1969) before Palitoy found a new and better way of making the hair flocking look more realistic later that year, It's easy to tell the early flocked vam, their hair is not completely uniform looking and slightly untidy, where as the later flockies hair is a very uniform looking spike crewcut and more neater looking.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question   Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Polar Explorer Sleeping Bag Question
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next