ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Glue removal from fabric?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

Glue removal from fabric? Empty
PostSubject: Glue removal from fabric?   Glue removal from fabric? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2022 7:05 pm

I have a figure I'm working on, the uniform I got has shoulder patches that doesn't
work for the figure. I was able to remove the patches, but it left behind a big patch
of glue used to put them on. I'm just curious if anyone can give me some hints on
removing hard, crusted glue without damaging the fabric or removing the color?

Thanks, Daryl

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Glue removal from fabric?   Glue removal from fabric? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2022 11:39 pm

Well "removal" very much depends on what sort of glue was used in the first place. If it's an old piece thankfully it's not ethyl cyanoacrylates (SupaGlue), although that will come loose with acetone, but that will almost certainly remove the colour from fabric. affraid
It's more likely to be one of the older fabric glues .
Here's a link to various methods for removal. The older and crustier it has become could prove problematic, but patience should see you prevail.

https://silverbobbin.com/how-to-remove-fabric-glue-from-clothes/ s
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Glue removal from fabric?   Glue removal from fabric? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2022 4:56 am

Thank you LeStryge for the link.

What I have is a Dragon uni, with a medium brown color. It's a British WWII uniform,
which I'm trying to make a Canadian uniform. I don't have insignia for a 1/6 Canadian
uniform, but the insignia that came with it is British. I figured having no insignia at all
would work better than not having the correct insignia.

Glue removal from fabric? Can110

So I'm guessing it's probably CA glue. I thought about nail polish remover, but figured
it would probably harm or discolor the fabric.

I have been able to carefully remove the insignia, but it left behind a hard glue spot.

Thanks again!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Glue removal from fabric?   Glue removal from fabric? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2022 12:15 am

Looking at the photo I think it might be Supaglue after all. Get some acetone, a cotton tip and try it on a unobtrusive part of the uniform....like the inner facing. If the colour remains fast then give the stain a go. Rub with the cotton tip and pad underneath. Worth a try.

As the insignia are so small and you probably are not going to play with the finished figure, why not download the correct one and print it way small enough to be in scale. Give the print a quick coat of clear spray lacquer, cut out and apply. It will look quite authentic.
I have had quite some success doing this myself.
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Glue removal from fabric?   Glue removal from fabric? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2022 12:22 am

I got around to taking a couple photos to show what I have.
The left shoulder isn't too bad but the right shoulder a lot more glue was used.

Glue removal from fabric? Glue310

Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Glue removal from fabric?   Glue removal from fabric? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2022 12:28 am

I would try brushing, picking, or "flicking" off as much as I could with a fingernail first, which you may have already done.

Then I would try moistening the area with water first, before using soaps or chemicals. Use the corner of a wet cloth or something to wet the area with the glue on it. Keep it wet for a while, then try picking or scraping off more of the glue, see if plain water has an effect.

PostSubject: Re: Glue removal from fabric?   Glue removal from fabric? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2022 2:18 am

Dave's idea will work if the glue is a PVA based product.
I have also had success removing any plastic glue (white wood work glue) by soaking in a product called "DETTOL" here. It's a strong smelling disinfectant that turns white when added to water. One of the few things that will safely dissolve plastic paint too, but you do have to SOAK for quite a while.

In your close ups it looks like the glue has not penetrated too far into the fabric. Some may just flick off with the tip of a scalpel.
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Glue removal from fabric?   Glue removal from fabric? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2022 12:41 pm

I wonder if very hot water may help lift it off , perhaps even steam ?

Interesting post regarding the Dettol Barry .

PostSubject: Re: Glue removal from fabric?   Glue removal from fabric? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2022 2:36 am

Chip wrote:
Interesting post regarding the Dettol Barry .
I came across a largish second-hand bust of the ancient Greek God Hermes. No great antique, but a nice enough version. It was made of that plastic composite that looks like marble (well somewhat!), but somebody must have thought it would look better with a coat of VERY white plastic paint. (It didn't!) No
Heard about the Dettol idea and tried it out.
Took two goes, over about 4 days but worked a treat.
Removed all the plastic paint, but did no damage to the bust itself.
Worth remembering if you want to get rid of plastic paint.
Normal paint-stripper often does little on plastic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Glue removal from fabric?   Glue removal from fabric? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Glue removal from fabric?
Page 1 of 1