ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bleaching clothes

Go down 
+4
Paintedhead5121
Cappy
inntruderr61
Fonnezz
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Fonnezz
Flock Head (Hard Hands)
Fonnezz

Bleaching clothes Empty
PostSubject: Bleaching clothes   Bleaching clothes Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 2:44 pm

Anyone ever bleached any clothes white? I have a abundance of French Resistance black jumpers and i wanted to try bleaching one totally white for a kitbash i am doing? Any advice, suggestions or help would be greatly received.
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

Bleaching clothes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bleaching clothes   Bleaching clothes Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 2:56 pm

I would think soaking older uni's in bleach for as long as it takes to turn them white may be to harsh for
the older fabric???
See what others say...

Eagle Eyes (Gripping Hands)
Cappy

Bleaching clothes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bleaching clothes   Bleaching clothes Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 3:03 pm

It won't go white more like a light grey. I've recently bleached both brown and green uniforms and they went a more yellow/orangy colour. However I dyed them all a dark brown and they are quite uniform in colour now. See my WW1 Tommy post.

Painted Head (Hard Hands)
Paintedhead5121

Bleaching clothes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bleaching clothes   Bleaching clothes Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 4:11 pm

Be careful with bleach. I have a white adventurer jumper that was discoloured and stained, so I decided to put it in a jar containing a diluted water and bleach solution.

The pen mark and stains have gone, but the jumper isn't white, it is now a yellow tinged shade. I must have used too much bleach in the mix.

It is at present drying as I only bleached it last night and fished it out of the jar this morning. When I get home tonight I will see it it has dried paler.
Back to top Go down
ghost recon
ghost recon

Bleaching clothes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bleaching clothes   Bleaching clothes Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 6:25 pm

Fonnezz save yourself the trouble mate. The black jumpers will NEVER go white in a month of Sunday's. I tried this once with the yellow Geyper jumper & it remained yellow no matter how much bleach I threw at it. Brian is correct , All vam clothes that aren't white already go a yellow / orange tone . You will not bleach back to white , So buy the white jumper it's quicker & easier.

Bleaching clothes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bleaching clothes   Bleaching clothes Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 6:40 pm

REMEMBER: After bleaching fabrics, they must be inmersed in water with a couple of effervescent false teeth cleaning tablets. They will neutralize the bleach, avoiding the tellowing, that will ALWAYS appear (even after a few months)

Even with the lightests colors, is nearly impossible to get pure white from bleaching.
Back to top Go down
brownboots
Admin
brownboots

Bleaching clothes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bleaching clothes   Bleaching clothes Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 6:57 pm

ghost recon wrote:
Fonnezz save yourself the trouble mate. The black jumpers will NEVER go white in a month of Sunday's. I tried this once with the yellow Geyper jumper & it remained yellow no matter how much bleach I threw at it. Brian is correct , All vam clothes that aren't white already go a yellow / orange tone . You will not bleach back to white , So buy the white jumper it's quicker & easier.

Spot on, don't put yourself through it, all you will end up with is a house that smells of bleach
And some tiny yellow clothes!
Back to top Go down
Fonnezz
Flock Head (Hard Hands)
Fonnezz

Bleaching clothes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bleaching clothes   Bleaching clothes Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 9:55 pm

Ok, i will take your advice and not waste my time,

So where do i get a white jumper from then......................? Neutral 
Back to top Go down
Cappy
Cappy

Bleaching clothes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bleaching clothes   Bleaching clothes Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 10:26 pm

eBay is your best bet.

inntruderr61

Bleaching clothes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bleaching clothes   Bleaching clothes Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 12:18 am

Yes try ebay...

Project ARE here in the USA has these jumpsuits...

http://project-are.com/

Bleaching clothes Jumpsuitwhite_zpsaa9467f0

ghost recon

Bleaching clothes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bleaching clothes   Bleaching clothes Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 1:17 am

Type in adventurer in you're search upon Ebay. These tend to go the highest price wise so do be prepared for a bit of a wait bid wise .

Cappy

Bleaching clothes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bleaching clothes   Bleaching clothes Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 7:17 am

inntruderr61 wrote:
Yes try ebay...

Very nice but it's a Jumper he wants?

HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

Bleaching clothes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bleaching clothes   Bleaching clothes Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 12:33 pm

Be very cautious of bleach! It will rot/weaken the fabric if it's left submersed for too long.

Never mix Bleach with other bathroom cleaning chemicals, it is very hazardous = harmful Gas!  Shocked 

ak615
Action Pilot
ak615

Location : Off the shoulder of orion in the dark near the tanhauser gate

Bleaching clothes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bleaching clothes   Bleaching clothes Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 12:38 pm

[/quote]
Very nice but it's a Jumper he wants?[/quote]

I believe our American cousins refer to jumpsuits as jumpers.Translation sweater = jumper  Very Happy 

Action Pilot
ak615

Location : Off the shoulder of orion in the dark near the tanhauser gate

Bleaching clothes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bleaching clothes   Bleaching clothes Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 12:39 pm

clivvers wrote:
Be very cautious of bleach!  It will rot/weaken the fabric if it's left submersed for too long.

Never mix Bleach with other bathroom cleaning chemicals, it is very hazardous = harmful Gas!  Shocked 

There`s quite a few harmful gases in my bathroom  affraid affraid 

HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

Bleaching clothes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bleaching clothes   Bleaching clothes Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 2:41 pm

ak615 wrote:
clivvers wrote:
Be very cautious of bleach!  It will rot/weaken the fabric if it's left submersed for too long.

There`s quite a few harmful gases in my bathroom  affraid affraid 
 lol!  Probably due to a bad diet!  lol! 

inntruderr61
inntruderr61

Bleaching clothes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bleaching clothes   Bleaching clothes Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 6:23 pm

OOOOPS!  Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed 

Cappy wrote:
inntruderr61 wrote:
Yes try ebay...

Very nice but it's a Jumper he wants?

Cappy

Bleaching clothes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bleaching clothes   Bleaching clothes Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 7:31 am

Senior moment there Jim? Very Happy 

Paintedhead5121

Bleaching clothes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bleaching clothes   Bleaching clothes Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 8:41 am

koenig wrote:
REMEMBER: After bleaching fabrics, they must be inmersed in water with a couple of effervescent false teeth cleaning tablets. They will neutralize the bleach, avoiding the tellowing, that will ALWAYS appear (even after a few months)

Even with the lightests colors, is nearly impossible to get pure white from bleaching.

Thanks for this tip. I tried it on my white adventurer jumper with a couple of sterident tablets, it has now gone from having a distinct yellow tinge to a pale off white. Like you said, not pure white, but definately a vast improvement.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bleaching clothes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bleaching clothes   Bleaching clothes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bleaching clothes
Page 1 of 1