ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dying VAM clothes query

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Paintedhead5121
Painted Head (Hard Hands)
Paintedhead5121

Dying VAM clothes query Empty
PostSubject: Dying VAM clothes query   Dying VAM clothes query Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 10:19 am

I have quite a varied selection of faded and felt tip blighted gear, so decided to have a go at dying them olive green with a Dylon dye.

I read some where that the old colour had to be removed, so I have soaked them in a bleach solution which has removed the green colouration, but left me with yellow, orange and brown clothes.

Any advice as to if the green dye will take, or do you think I will end up with a multi coloured mess? If it doesn't work do you think a second dying session would have an effect?

The clothes have been soaked in denture cleaning solution and are on the window cill drying as I hope to dye them tonight.

Paul
Back to top Go down
Cappy
Eagle Eyes (Gripping Hands)
Cappy

PostSubject: Re: Dying VAM clothes query   Dying VAM clothes query Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 10:53 am

You're ok, that's the colour they come out as, yellowish. Are you using hand dye or the stuff you put in the machine? If it's hand dye the clothes need to be washed and left damp. Depending on how much you have got to dye the resulting colour could be lighter than you expect. If so a second dying will deepen the colour.
I successfully stripped green clothes and dyed them brown.

Paintedhead5121

PostSubject: Re: Dying VAM clothes query   Dying VAM clothes query Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2014 11:33 am

Thanks Brian, the dye I have is a hand dye. Another question if you don't mind as you have had experience of dying clothes, does the colour darken the longer they are left in the solution?

How are the WW1 trench and para dioramas going?

Paul

Back to top Go down
Paintedhead5121
Paintedhead5121

PostSubject: Re: Dying VAM clothes query   Dying VAM clothes query Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 8:55 am

Glad to report that the dying session was a success.

All of the items took the colour well and have come out a uniform shade of green. An exercise well worth doing as the items were scrap otherwise.

I now have early (66-69) soldier fatigues, combat jacket, belt and back pack in matching olive green, and a scramble pilot flight suit to match.

I'll be going to my local hardware shop to see if they have a green Dylon dye suitable for German uniforms as I have a selection of faded German stuff too.
Back to top Go down
Cappy
Eagle Eyes (Gripping Hands)
Cappy

PostSubject: Re: Dying VAM clothes query   Dying VAM clothes query Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 8:50 pm

Glad it went well. Don't think length of time makes any difference it's the amount you are dying. If you put more than the recommended amount into the dye the lighter the resulting colour will be.

WWI and D-Day dios are progressing well. I have been posting pictures up on Facebook as I find it easier than farting about with Photobucket. However I will post some up here as soon as I can.

PostSubject: Re: Dying VAM clothes query   Dying VAM clothes query Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dying VAM clothes query
Page 1 of 1