ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kitbash: Platoon (revisited)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
the_pauley
Eagle Eyes
the_pauley

Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) Empty
PostSubject: Kitbash: Platoon (revisited)   Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 6:51 pm

These days when i kitbash, I try to keep my efforts looking as "in-house" as possible, by using only Hasbro/Palitoy/Geyper kit (with perhaps a little of Cotswold's Hasbro look-alike gear thrown in).

But, about 11 years ago when I first started dipping my toe into the wonderful world of kitbashing, I mixed and matched kit freely, from many one -sixth scale sources.

Among these early efforts were my first attempts at kitbashing four Vietnam era soldiers. Some US Army combat personnel during the Vietnam era, tended to look a little shambolic, with their tendency to mix and match extraneous pieces of kit with official uniforms an equipment.

In attempting to recreate this casual approach to the uniforms, I ended up with figures that, on reflection, were a little slapdash looking, particularly when they were displayed alongside each other. What looked OK on a single figure, began to look a little too chaotic across a group of Joes.

As I refined my kitbashing skills, I looked back on these figures as less than satisfactory and this weekend I was reconsidering stripping all four of these figures down and repurposing some of the Hasbro/Palitoy kit.

However, on looking at the four figures more closely, I saw the potential for three decent looking figures. By mixing and matching their kit along with a quick dive into the spares box, I was able to create a more uniform feel to the figures by using common uniform pieces and kit across all three to give them more "connected" look.

Here's the first guy and my favourite of the three, inspired by Tom Berenger's character in the film 'Platoon'.

Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) Platoon-1986-Wallpapers-7

Pants and boots are from the basic GI Joe Action Soldier.

Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) 002

Belt is standard Hasbro/Palitoy issue. dog tags and t-shirt are by Cotswold Collectibles. Flak jacket, ammo belts and the machete and that tasty green version of the machete sheath are all GI Joe Classic Collection pieces.

Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) 003

First aid pouch is Hasbro/Palitoy, helmet is GI Joe Classic Collection and the canteen is 21st Century.

Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) 004

Grenades are 21st Century, M60 weapon is GI joe classic Collection. knife, scabbard and mittens came in a one-sixth job lot and the manufacturer is unknown

Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) 005

I made his headscarf from some small (about 6" square) pieces of fabric that came in a job lot that included alot of Vietnam era bits and pieces. Does anyone know what these were originally used for or what manufacturer produced them?

Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) 016

Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) 017

Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) 018

This next guy is sporting a superb helmet by Cotswold Collectibles. Pants and boots are from the basic GI Joe Action Soldier.

Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) 007

M16 is also Cotswold and the ammo pouches and grenades are from 21st Century.

Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) 008

Belt and first aid pouch is Hasbro/Palitoy and the canteen is 21st Century.

Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) 009

Gas canister and bug spray bottle (on helmet) are 21st Century. Dog tags and t-shirt by Cotswold and the flak jacket is GI Joe Classic Collection.

Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) 010

The next guy is also sporting another excellent 'Vietnam era helmet by Cotswold Collectibles. Pants and boots, once again, are from the basic GI Joe Action Soldier.

Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) 011

Ammo pouches, grenades and gas canister are 21st Century.

Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) 013

Belt and first aid pouch is Hasbro/Palitoy and the canteen is 21st Century.

Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) 014

M16, dog tags and t-shirt are by Cotswold and the flak jacket is GI Joe Classic Collection.

Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) 015

The platoon members assembled.

Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) 001
Back to top Go down
ActionYankee
Landing Signal Officer
ActionYankee

PostSubject: Re: Kitbash: Platoon (revisited)   Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 12:16 am

Man that Joe40 head is a decent Tom Berenger.

Got a link for that helmet?

Want some GI Joe Adventure Team fun? Check out my Adventure Team Files Fan Site!
Back to top Go down
http://northernindependent.wixsite.com/n-i-films
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Kitbash: Platoon (revisited)   Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 8:51 am

Who doesn't like a good Nam bash! Top work bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Kitbash: Platoon (revisited)   Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2019 6:11 pm

Those ammo belts certainly enhance the overall ruggedness of these figures! It must have taken you hours to kit these guys out, not to mention all the time you must have spent researching the look and then tracking down all the bits and pieces!

PostSubject: Re: Kitbash: Platoon (revisited)   Kitbash: Platoon (revisited) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kitbash: Platoon (revisited)
Page 1 of 1