ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kitbash: Australian Army

Go down 
+2
BAMComix
the_pauley
6 posters
AuthorMessage
the_pauley
Eagle Eyes
the_pauley

Kitbash:   Australian Army Empty
PostSubject: Kitbash: Australian Army   Kitbash:   Australian Army Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2019 9:29 am

The original Soldiers of the Century'Australian Jungle Fighter'  is not  a huge favourite of mine, due to the fact that the uniform looks more like  a parade (almost dress) uniform than a jungle combat uniform.  A bit like the American Green Beret set in the same series, Hasbro's attempt to simulate a fatigue shirt and pants misses by  a mile and ends up looking like  a heavyweight jacket.   Just compare it to the box art which is much more on the money.

Kitbash:   Australian Army 001

The late issue Action Man Australian Jungle Fighter looked much more the part and had that combat ready look, particularly when you rolled his sleeves up.

Kitbash:   Australian Army 002

My dissatisfaction with the SOTC AJF led me to attempting my first Aussie kitbash, which was an attempt to do an alternate version of the SOTC set , a WWII era uniform that looked more like combat kit. The basis of the kitbash was  a pair of AM Desert Fighter shorts teamed with a shirt from the Action Soldier basic figure with  a little modification of  a few stitches to the collar.   Here he is with the original for comparison.   I think if I was wearing the original uniform in tropical jungle heat, I'd be passing out within minutes.  Smile

Kitbash:   Australian Army 004

I was so pleased with this, that it was the start of a slippery slope as I began snapping up spare Aussie bush hats from Modellers Loft's 40th spares section.  These next two WWII era guys are an infantryman kitted out in webbing from the AM late issue Parachute Regiment set and a communications guy kitted out with gear from the Command Post set.

Kitbash:   Australian Army 005

Next, another two WWII infantrymen kitted out with  a Sten submachine gun and a Lee Enfield rifle.  The guy on the right is wearing a Cotswold t-shirt.

Kitbash:   Australian Army 006

The late issue version of the Jungle Fighter used the same shirt, pants and belt as the Royal Marines Exploration Team set and thus always suggested a more contemporary uniform such as a Vietnam era Aussie uniform.   This prompted  a couple of Vietnam War Aussie 'bashes, the first guy kitted out with an M60 (used by the Aussies in Vietnam as well as by the US Army) , and the second one an Aussie officer with a bit more of a formal appearance.  

Kitbash:   Australian Army 007a

A spare green beret scarf was pressed into service to aid with the more formal officer's look.

Kitbash:   Australian Army 007b

Back to the WWII era for my favourite of the bunch this Aussie gunner, complete with the splendid Action Man Vickers machine gun.

Kitbash:   Australian Army 184-8436

Kitbash:   Australian Army 007

The kitbashed Aussies assembled...

Kitbash:   Australian Army 008

...and with the two official uniforms front and centre.

Kitbash:   Australian Army 010
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Kitbash: Australian Army   Kitbash:   Australian Army Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2019 10:07 am

They all look amazing! top work as always bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kitbash: Australian Army   Kitbash:   Australian Army Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2019 11:43 am

The Aussies were notorious for NOT wearing the official kit,...and always making their own adaptions.
This can be clearly seen in historical photos.
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Kitbash: Australian Army   Kitbash:   Australian Army Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2019 5:08 pm

You make a good point about the scale of the fabric on the original uniform appearing much too heavy. Your various custom permutations of the Australian uniform are definitely superior.

Again, you research is phenomenal, as are your efforts to replicate period uniforms using largely "official issue" bits and pieces from various releases.

Of course, the hats are the dinkum bizzy!

Eagle Eyes
the_pauley

PostSubject: Re: Kitbash: Australian Army   Kitbash:   Australian Army Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2019 6:38 pm

LeStryge wrote:
The Aussies were notorious for NOT wearing the official kit,...and always making their own adaptions.
This can be clearly seen in historical photos.

Yes, when the went to the far East in WWII they simply dyed their tan desert kit green.
Back to top Go down
Beatlefan
Admin
Beatlefan

PostSubject: Re: Kitbash: Australian Army   Kitbash:   Australian Army Icon_minitimeThu Jul 11, 2019 7:39 pm

Fantastic set of bashes Jim, some great looking figures there mate cheers

Kitbash:   Australian Army Volgan10
Back to top Go down
SlackElastic
Medic
SlackElastic

PostSubject: Re: Kitbash: Australian Army   Kitbash:   Australian Army Icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2019 9:02 am

Alongside the GI Joe British infantryman, the Australian outfit is such a period work of art!!

love seeing all the outfits, great lineup Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/el_slackelastic/

PostSubject: Re: Kitbash: Australian Army   Kitbash:   Australian Army Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2019 12:24 am

So how do you blokes manage to buy so many of the very same thing, ....like enough to outfit a whole group?
When ever I'm looking for something specific I'm lucky to find one or maybe two examples, and usually one of them will be VERY expensive.
Then there's the shipping! Shocked
Back to top Go down
SlackElastic
Medic
SlackElastic

PostSubject: Re: Kitbash: Australian Army   Kitbash:   Australian Army Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2019 6:53 pm

LeStryge wrote:
So how do you blokes manage to buy so many of the very same thing, ....like enough to outfit a whole group?
When ever I'm looking for something specific I'm lucky to find one or maybe two examples, and usually one of them will be VERY expensive.
Then there's the shipping!  Shocked

Some say it's spelt 'addiction' Twisted Evil

Others say it's spelt 'preservation' clown

I spell it 'displayer's preference' affraid

But I think the correct spelling is 'addiction' Rolling Eyes

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/el_slackelastic/

PostSubject: Re: Kitbash: Australian Army   Kitbash:   Australian Army Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2019 11:26 pm

SlackElastic wrote:
But I think the correct spelling is 'addiction' Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Whew,...thanks for clearing that up!
There was I thinking it might have been spelled "obsession"! scratch
Back to top Go down
Dreadnought
Dreadnought

PostSubject: Re: Kitbash: Australian Army   Kitbash:   Australian Army Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2019 11:52 pm

Very fine and inventive kit-bashing there using a surprisingly simple mix of kit to achieve it.
Nice work, the overall effect is very good indeed.

I quite like the first issue Aussie kit and have a nice GI Joe Timeless version of it.
I do take your point however that it looks far more parade / official dress rather than the combat ready version on the official artwork.

Kev.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kitbash: Australian Army   Kitbash:   Australian Army Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kitbash: Australian Army
Page 1 of 1