ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

World Box AT017 Body. Need Advice, help.

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

World Box AT017 Body.  Need Advice, help.   - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: World Box AT017 Body. Need Advice, help.    World Box AT017 Body.  Need Advice, help.   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 5:07 am

Isn't the entire point of playing action figures and using them to create visual stories to escape the realities of the actual world and our mundane existence?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: World Box AT017 Body. Need Advice, help.    World Box AT017 Body.  Need Advice, help.   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 7:38 am

Do you realise how BIG a 1/6 scale tank would have to be?
My motor pool is already taking up far too much space as it is!
(And I haven't even bought one of those spiffy jeeps yet!)
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: World Box AT017 Body. Need Advice, help.    World Box AT017 Body.  Need Advice, help.   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 3:33 pm

LeStryge wrote:

it depends on the tank, doesn't it? I'm not asking for a King Tiger here....just a little Mk III or a Stug III with 75mm.

Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: World Box AT017 Body. Need Advice, help.    World Box AT017 Body.  Need Advice, help.   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 5:43 pm

LeStryge wrote:

Yes, a true 1/6 scale tank would be enormous! But enormously cool! Also enormously expensive.

You should have kept the country house! Imagine running a remote-controlled tank around all the pathways out there! Weaving in and out among the standing stones! Lurking in the foliage! It would have been fantastic fun!

Are the ROCHobby radio controlled Jeeps available in Oz? Nicely detailed. Not entirely true to scale like the 21st Century version, but pretty close. Probably about 7/8 of 1/6 scale. And they actually run.

Here you go: https://www.amazon.com.au/Rochobby-Control-Transmitter-Receiver-Batteries/dp/B08BL94MGL/

Batteries not included! Wink (Nor a battery charger.)

Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: World Box AT017 Body. Need Advice, help.    World Box AT017 Body.  Need Advice, help.   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 5:51 pm

Kimono Troop Command wrote:
LeStryge wrote:

it depends on the tank, doesn't it?  I'm not asking for a King Tiger here....just a little Mk III or a Stug III with 75mm.  

I wouldn't mind a King Tiger, although I'd prefer a Panzer IV.

Whatever this is would do nicely: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Armortek_1_6_Scale_Remote_Control_Tanks_%287527837330%29.jpg

Or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmCLa3sRlq0

A quick search online suggests that the peak years for R/C tanks were 2010-2013. I do not see a lot of newer posts about 1/6 scale tanks. Perhaps they have become too expensive. Or all the tank hobbyists got old and gave up. I gather that many of the 1/6 tanks were fully scratch-built rather than kit-built. It would take some serious machine-shop skills, not to mention mechanical and engineering talent, to craft something like this from scratch.

It also takes a fair bit of money.

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: World Box AT017 Body. Need Advice, help.    World Box AT017 Body.  Need Advice, help.   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 6:10 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
LeStryge wrote:

it depends on the tank, doesn't it?  I'm not asking for a King Tiger here....just a little Mk III or a Stug III with 75mm.  

I wouldn't mind a King Tiger, although I'd prefer a Panzer IV.

Whatever this is would do nicely: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Armortek_1_6_Scale_Remote_Control_Tanks_%287527837330%29.jpg

Or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmCLa3sRlq0

A quick search online suggests that the peak years for R/C tanks were 2010-2013. I do not see a lot of newer posts about 1/6 scale tanks. Perhaps they have become too expensive. Or all the tank hobbyists got old and gave up. I gather that many of the 1/6 tanks were fully scratch-built rather than kit-built. It would take some serious machine-shop skills, not to mention mechanical and engineering talent, to craft something like this from scratch.

It also takes a fair bit of money.

they are very expensive. I don't personally want an RC tank....A plastic model in the correct scale will suffice.
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: World Box AT017 Body. Need Advice, help.    World Box AT017 Body.  Need Advice, help.   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 7:44 pm

They are very expensive. I don't personally want an RC tank....A plastic model in the correct scale will suffice.

I agree. A working model would be fun, but thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of fun? Probably not. Then again, a "combat model" armed with working airsoft components... scratch

This looks a bit under-size to me. What do you think? - http://www.fieldofarmortanks.com/foa001-1-6-panzer-iv-ausf-h-metal-kit/

As you have noted, the Dragon Sherman, when available, is almost affordable: http://www.fieldofarmortanks.com/dra75051-dragon-model-1-6-m4a3-75-w-sherman-without-tracks/

A halftrack would be equally cool: http://www.fieldofarmortanks.com/foa008-field-of-armor-models-1-6-us-half-track-m3-metal-kit/

Should we begin a separate topic for 1/6 scale tanks? Maybe so, huh? I think some of the guys on the forum, or who used to be on the forum, have or had some tanks. I'll have to search through some of the older topics later.

Last edited by SCU_HQ on Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: World Box AT017 Body. Need Advice, help.    World Box AT017 Body.  Need Advice, help.   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 7:51 pm

the scale looks about right. Pz IV's were not very big compared to some later German tanks, or even to a Sherman.
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: World Box AT017 Body. Need Advice, help.    World Box AT017 Body.  Need Advice, help.   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 7:53 pm

the scale looks about right. Pz IV's were not very big compared to some later German tanks, or even to a Sherman.  

That's interesting. I might need something larger, then, that would look good with a lot of action figures in it and on it. You know: Girls und Panzer type stuff. Wink

I've added a couple of links to that previous post. The halftrack looks nice. I'd like to see it with some figures for scale.

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: World Box AT017 Body. Need Advice, help.    World Box AT017 Body.  Need Advice, help.   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 7:58 pm

Just use teenage size dolls with the Pz IV. Girls und Panzer is all teenage girls.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: World Box AT017 Body. Need Advice, help.    World Box AT017 Body.  Need Advice, help.   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 10:46 pm

I already have a smaller scale tank that is radio controlled, and it's big enough!
(It's probably missing a few bits and as Brian will confirm about his huge tank, they do tend to come off very easily!)

World Box AT017 Body.  Need Advice, help.   - Page 2 ZUpXMk

Last edited by LeStryge on Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: World Box AT017 Body. Need Advice, help.    World Box AT017 Body.  Need Advice, help.   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 11:44 pm

Ah yes, I believe I remember you posting about that tank! Charity shop find, was it? Or something like that.
Does it actually work? Do you have the radio control bits?

This reminds me, I had a radio controlled tank about that size, 1:18 scale I think. I purchased it new simply because it looked cool. And yes, while it looked cool enough, the toy-grade motor and remote control were frustratingly lame. The tank had two speeds: fast and very fast. Nothing even remotely realistic about the way it operated. I ended up pulling out the motor and gadgetry inside because it was heavy and because the turret would not turn freely, and just used the tank as a static model.

World Box AT017 Body.  Need Advice, help.   - Page 2 387737546_4076ad2156

That pic was taken in 2007. I used it in a few more photos in 2009, and I don't think it has seen the light of day since. I still have it; in fact, it's one of the few things I own that I know exactly where it is... because, as noted, toy tanks are big enough to often be in the way.

2009...? So, uhm... I guess I don't really need a tank after all. Embarassed

PostSubject: Re: World Box AT017 Body. Need Advice, help.    World Box AT017 Body.  Need Advice, help.   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2021 11:57 pm

Took some time to find a remote, (which I paid FAR more for than the tank itself), but yes it works now and the turret swivels.
It will travel quite slowly.
However because it's a smaller scale I really don't use it much at all.
Might try placing it in the background for a bit of forced perspective, although I don't really have any German Tank Corps figures.
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: World Box AT017 Body. Need Advice, help.    World Box AT017 Body.  Need Advice, help.   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2021 12:16 am

An observation I might make about your collections Dave is that you don't seem to focus on any one scale or theme. Now this is not a criticism because in the past....when I was buying a lot of lead or pewter cast miniatures for miniature war gaming, I was guilty of the same sin, having rules sets and collections representing different eras, armies and fleets and in different scales. These include from the biggest to the smallest:

25/28mm British, Indian (British Indian Army) Belgians (Africa) and Egyptian, and yes, Martian late Victorian Colonial and steampunk skirmish games.

25mm 7 Years War (North American Theater) British and American provincial troops and their Iroquois Allies. yes, I even have a young George Washington figure.

25mm Plains Indian Wars: US Cavalry and Indians

25mm Secret agents and mercenaries (role playing)

20mm (1/72-1/76 scale) WWII Americans and Germans

20mm French and Viet-Minh (French Indochina War)

15mm Napoleonic, French and British with a few Brunswickers and Dutch/Belgians

15mm American Civil War...both sides, but more bluecoats than rebs.

15mm Plains Indian Wars, Cavalry and Indians. (Apparently, a single scale was not enough for me.)

1/285 scale WWII Micro Armor, US and Germans

1/285 scale Modern Micro Armor, US, UK, Canada, Israel, Generic Arabs, Soviet

1/2400 WWII Naval US and Japanese.

All of the above, hand painted by me.

Most of the stuff I have not used in ages, but I took a vow in future, I would only by 28mm figures for Colonial era skirmish games. As much as I want to do a Napoleonic collection in 28mm, it just ain't gonna happen.
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: World Box AT017 Body. Need Advice, help.    World Box AT017 Body.  Need Advice, help.   - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2021 12:22 am

Oh damn...I forgot; 15 and 28 mm collections for sci-fi role playing. The 15mm collection was pretty substantial, though I gave it away in a long time ago.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: World Box AT017 Body. Need Advice, help.    World Box AT017 Body.  Need Advice, help.   - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

World Box AT017 Body. Need Advice, help.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2