ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb

Go down 
+3
FIELD STATION 42
Professor Gangrene Fan
TNshooter
7 posters
AuthorMessage
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb Empty
PostSubject: Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb   Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 12:38 pm

Doing some digging in my stuff, I found this set. I'm thinking I got it about 20 years ago.
I was very surprised to see that I hadn't opened this box. Usually I do, just to look at the contents.
But this one was still sealed. I have purchased a brown T-shirt for this figure, some time ago, as
Sean Huxter did for his, because other than the vest he is shirtless. I just don't remember where
it is.

The box back, of course, mentions the vintage set. But the story is pretty weird. It says the original
mummy's tomb had a message speaking of endless energy. So the team has to find another mummy
for the answers?

Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb Mummy_10

The front of the box.

Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb Mummy110

The set has instructions on how to work the sarcophagus.

Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb Mummy_11

Since I had never opened it, I cut the seal and pulled out the backing the
figure and accessories are attached to. I though the mummy in this set was
smaller than the original, but digging out the original it seems like the modern
one is maybe a tad taller, or at least the same size. Although it's a bit undersized
in scale. The whip included in the accessories is interesting, maybe Hasbro was
going for an Indiana Jones vibe?

Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb Mummy210

I didn't realize the original mummy was so small. I thought the modern one was
smaller. But that's what I get for relying on my memory. lol!

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb   Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 1:01 pm

Omg I’m totally loving the whole Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb set. The Tomb adventurer totally screams out Tomb adventurer look. He’s the best part of the whole set in my opinion.

Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb   Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 2:49 pm

The original Mummy’s Tomb release was and remains my favorite Joe set of all time. It looks like the circa 2001 release did an excellent job in retaining the overall sense of desert mystery and adventure, enhanced with “modern” cultural and pop-cultural details: a golden sarcophagus, reminiscent of the Tutankhamun’s Treasures exhibit (1976-79), a bullwhip, doubtless inspired by the “Indiana Jones” films, a machete or big knife, perhaps a nod to “Crocodile Dundee,” and a reference in the story to “computer algorithms” in an attempt to make things seem as modern and up to date as possible in an era when physical toys were rapidly losing ground to electronic screen-based entertainment.

It’s a fun set, and something of a time capsule illustrating HASBRO’s efforts to keep the GI Joe brand current and relevant. It’s remarkable that you have maintained the set in pristine condition!

To quote an over-used line from Indiana Jones: this belongs in a museum!

Dreadnought

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb   Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 8:48 pm

That's a fantastic looking set that has a definite smack of continuity on the vintage side about it IMHO.

Certainly a bit of Indy vibe around too with the whip !! Very Happy

It's also strongly reminiscent of the MAM Pyramid Mission set ?

Kev.

Last edited by Dreadnought on Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb   Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 10:13 pm

I am glad your finding the time to sell us the Gems in your collection Daryl , they really are nice to see . I have liked and wouldn`t mind owning them all so far , hope you dig out some more for us soon . I think Barry ( Lestrype ) will like this set , no doubt he will comment when he sees it .

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb   Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2022 10:25 pm

OMG....I WANT IT!!!!
Because .....EGYPTIAN!!!!  farao farao farao
Now I'll have to search for a set!
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb   Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2022 7:21 am

very nice Daryl! Great looking set!
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb   Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2022 11:04 am

Thanks, I'm glad everyone likes it. It's only still boxed because it spent some
time put away while I was on a hiatus from the hobby.

Once I find the t-shirt I picked up for him, I will release him and take some
more photos.

Barry, I searched on ebay.com for this set, there were 11 boxed versions for
sale, starting from $50 USD as a first bid, up to $110 USD for a buy it now.
But I'm sure shipping from here will be atrocious if any of the sellers are willing
to ship to you. One of them is an AA version. There is a loose one with a buy
it now for $85, and another that is pieces of the set with a mummy and no
sarcophagus. As I recall I probably got mine for about $20-$30 back in the day.

Dave, I also consider the original as a favorite set growing up. But what I really
liked about it was the Adventure Team Vehicle. I spent hours playing with it.
But mine wasn't the original set, it was part of a three part set sold by Sears.
The Mummy's tomb didn't have the clothes or jewels. It also had a really scaled
down Capture of the Pygmy Gorilla. The boat and motor with a tent from the
White Tiger set and the gorilla. The net included in the set did double duty between
the mummy and gorilla sets. And a snow suit with a single dog and sled. In this
link it shows a seat for the boat, but I don't remember getting one.

https://www.vintage3djoes.com/sears-exclusive-super-adventure-set.html

Chip, I only have one more modern AT set. It's one that had five different figures
you could get it with. One caucasian male, an AA male, an Asian male, one that
looks Hispanic and a woman. It's called the Secret of the Savage Swamp. I got two,
the Hispanic looking male and the female. I have found the male, but I'm having
trouble finding the female. The male is still in the box although I have unsealed it,
the female I had opened to look at the kit. But I'm having trouble finding her. But
you may like it, the alligator isn't like the original from the '70's, it's more in scale.  Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Chip
Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb   Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2022 12:44 pm

I am already looking forward to it Daryl . bounce

Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb   Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2022 5:27 pm

TNshooter wrote:

But mine wasn't the original set, it was part of a three part set sold by Sears.

I had the Sears set! With the helicopter as well as the all terrain vehicle! Over the years I've managed to hang on to the helicopter. This summer I need to make a point of pulling it out of storage and featuring it in some photos and stories.

Here's an interesting eBay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/374020279736
It appears to picture an "afro" version of the Mummy's Tomb figure. Or is it just poor lighting in the photos? I can't tell.

Deep Sea Diver
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb   Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2022 5:55 pm

Think that`s defo an Afro figure , I was talking about a Fireman set I have in chat , it has that very same Afro Joe in it .

Canadian Mounted Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb   Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2022 6:06 pm

Dave, you had the Sears set as well? And you have your AT helo from your childhood?
Cool! I didn't have the helo, but my younger brother did.

I was able to get the helo for about $25 some years back, but it was missing the tail piece.
Later I was able to get the tail piece, but it cost as much as the helo! Recently I have gotten
a new decal set, made by a guy who does professional work that Cotswold sells.
It's been one of my projects I haven't gotten to. It needs some serious polishing to make
it look good. But I now have everything to put it together. Very Happy

Unfortunately I also have two all terrain vehicles to fix as well. With some serious polishing
to make them look new.

That is an AA figure in the link you posted. When I did a search it was the only one, the
other ten were caucasion.

Very cool that you have your AT helicopter from when you were young!

Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb   Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2022 2:53 am

Geez! That reminds me that I still have a sun helmet and several sets of British Army desert / Tropical khaki uniforms that I have yet to put figures into. Great stuff, BTW. I think the figure is a bit of a cross between Indiana Jones and Richard O'Connor (From "The Mummy," "The Mummy Returns, etc) and a little bit Alan Quartermain as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb   Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Adventure Team: Secret of the Mummy's Tomb
Page 1 of 1