ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)

Go down 
+8
blueboxier
Rossini
Sparkys6887
inntruderr61
BAMComix
ak615
Captian action
somekindajoe
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Empty
PostSubject: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 3:04 pm

I'd be the first to admit I know very little about photography. It just isn't a subject or hobby I've ever found remotely interesting but suddenly just like typing or working computers it's a modern life skill a person needs!

With the forum being such a big part of the AM collecting hobby I NEED to be able to take decent pics. In the past I've gotten by with passable snap shots but looking at some of the amazing pics taken by many members on here snap shots are no longer good enough!

I must get better at this photography lark! To illustrate how serious I am about this I'll even admit that this morning I actually read my camera's user manual! lol!

So I thought a thread where members could share know how and tips with the less informed amongst us (That'd be me!) would be good.

Here's where I am at the moment..

I got one of these so to the casual observer I almost look like I know what I'm doing!

Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) 95thb_zps9abb4375

..and here's my first attempts.

Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) 95th_zps0c4dbab2

Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) 95tha_zpsdf7732b3

Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) 95thc_zpscd65adf5

All advice and constructive criticism gratefully received! Rolling Eyes

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
Captian action
Captian action

Location : Kent, The Lorry Park of England ! Some call it the garden of England , it is ,if your garden is covered in wheelie bins and dog doo !

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 3:10 pm

Great stuff , I really like the 2nd pic as it is very well posed and the lighting looks good ,but I am a terrible picture taker myself, I too would like to know more on how to take a great picture !

Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heavenPhotography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) G.I.-Joe-1964-Lineup-Title_zpsaepa6syh Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
ak615
Action Pilot
ak615

Location : Off the shoulder of orion in the dark near the tanhauser gate

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 3:15 pm

Steve are you using auto focus or turning on the macro setting (flower icon) ?

Action Pilot
ak615

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 3:21 pm

I also use the self timer this stops any miniscule vibrations

French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 3:58 pm

ak615 wrote:

I was alternating between the auto focus and the little camera icon but can't remember which I used on which particular pic. I had the macro on and was also using the function where you half press the shutter so the camera focuses and then fully press to take the pic!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 4:24 pm

Great stuff Steve !!!! amazing shots mate. When i do my photo's I usually always use auto. I don't know if your camera has the function, where if you push down (but not click) the photo button, it auto focus' for you with a green square?, if so wait for the green square to appear then snap your shot Very Happy .
I do use macro setting, but only if there is fine or small details to get. I am also a big believer in photo editing, it can greatly improve most shots.

here with your 2 nd pic, i have dropped the brightness and saturation, and slightly higher ed the contrast and warmth Very Happy

Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) 95tha_zps0e7ea83d

with this version, (of the same photo) using the editing tools on pb, i used the effects "dean option"

Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) 5539a16f-41af-4139-91db-f4579499903d_zps17ee5737

here i use clyde (the apply) then back into effects and indigo (save again)

Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) 95tha_zps0e7ea83d

and if you want an oldie world option, try clyde (apply), sepia (apply) san carmen (apply) drop brightness slightly, up contrast a little, drop saturation, and higher warmth (quite a lot), into frames and add antique option, then back into effects and select clyde option again.

Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) 95tha_zpsc5c574ae

This is a lot of fun, and sometimes frustrating to do!, but you can really change the look of a shot Very Happy . Editing is a great way of improving any shot mate. keep at it, you've made an excellent start bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
ak615
Action Pilot
ak615

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 4:38 pm

Use the self timer if its got one and you may need more light

inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 5:39 pm

I actually use a cheap Kodak camera... My mom got it off of ebay for $23.00. It was new in the box...
Anyhow I take shots with a flash, some without, tilt the camera different ways, etc.
I take many pics and use the best ones. Mine are never touched up by photoshop etc...
I myself have not got into using extra lghting yet... I just do the best I can with what I got...

I take alot of outside night shots for a couple of reasons... One being the fact I'm alittle shy when it
comes to having the neighbors watch me play Gi joe... lol!

Another reason is using a flash in the darkness makes the background dark so it hides any ugly backgrounds...

I take alot of my pics down our cellar... Nobody bothers me down there...lol!

I always tried to hide my Joe picture taking from my wife until the day she came home early from
shopping and seen Gi joe riding our cat...lol!
Then things didn't matter much...lol!

But anyhow when I look at pics on any forum I do not judge the quality of the pics of others...                        
If I can see the object/s I just sit back relax and enjoy them... cheers cheers cheers

inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 6:13 pm

Looks like those originals pics were taken without a flash?
My shots look alittle grainy without enough light... (no flash)

I noticed whatever Dal did with photo editing cleared that all up... Interesting... Very Happy

Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 6:22 pm

inntruderr61 wrote:

I noticed whatever Dal did with photo editing cleared that all up... Interesting... Very Happy

Its all done with the editing option on photobucket Jim! cheers
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 6:36 pm

Blondeactionman wrote:
inntruderr61 wrote:

I need to investgate this option... lol!

Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 6:40 pm

inntruderr61 wrote:
Blondeactionman wrote:
inntruderr61 wrote:

I need to investgate this option... lol!

good man cheers
Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 6:43 pm

There's some great advice being offered in this thread!

Light seems to be my problem at the moment..I can't seem to get it right, either too much or not enough!

Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Dalek_zps31b6eccb

Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 6:46 pm

I forgot to ask steve, do you have the studio facing a window?, natural light might help light the studio area better?
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2015 11:24 pm

This pic looks very good Steve... Very Happy

somekindajoe wrote:
There's some great advice being offered in this thread!

Light seems to be my problem at the moment..I can't seem to get it right, either too much or not enough!

Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Dalek_zps31b6eccb

This pic looks very good Steve... Very Happy

Arctic Explorer
Sparkys6887

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 12:35 am

ak615 wrote:

Andy, just checking are you calling Steve a little flower icon or is this something to do with photography?

Steve,  so what's wrong with snaps!!! Wink

Oh and a great figure Steve and i like the 2nd snap er I mean photo too Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.creativecounselling.net
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 9:11 am

Mark...you leave my little rose petal, oops I mean Andy alone! lol!

Snaps are great I just want to take better pics like Dal, Ralph, Paul and multiple photo of the month winner Richard!(little chat joke there! lol! )

..and glad you like Joe in his ceremoinial finery too. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
ak615
Action Pilot
ak615

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 10:12 am

Steve my little passion flower  I love you check this link out not too much detail on the photography but its the best tutorial I`ve found on posing and photographing figures.

http://www.sixtharmygroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7915 flower

Red Devil
Rossini

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 10:17 am

Great thread Steve! I've got a tip for those that want to take better photos but still use mobile phones, its a tip on how to take steadier photos.. If you have earphones with the built in hands free with volume etc on them, plug them in and you can position phone as you would your camera and when in camera mode you can use the button on earphones to take shot so you don't touch and disturb phone! I know its not very professional to use your phone but for some its the easiest option and some people may have better cameras on their phones than their actual camera!

Action Pilot
ak615

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 10:33 am

Excellent tip Rose Very Happy

French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 10:48 am

A great link Andy!

Back to top Go down
Rossini
Red Devil
Rossini

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 11:24 am

ak615 wrote:
Excellent tip Rose Very Happy
lol! lol! lol!

Arctic Explorer
blueboxier

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 11:53 am

[quote I'll even admit that this morning I actually read my camera's user manual! Shocked 1st of all put the user manual down and step away from it , and we will never speak of it again just remember that you are with friends here we all love you and are here to help you jocolor lol! seriously the rest of the thread is full of good advice

French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 11:57 am

lol! lol! lol!

Rolling Eyes Sorry it was a moment of weakness, you know the old adage..

If all else fails read the instructions!

Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2015 11:58 am

Tried natural light today..

Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) DSCF2046_zps6989b32c

Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) DSCF2044_zpsa579ad0f

They aren't as sharp as I'd like. Is that some focusing issue?

'Say HELLO to my little friend!'

Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) DSCF2054_zpse607af60

Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) DSCF2057_zps960c89d1

lol!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)   Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Photography 101 (..or more correctly Help! cos I haven't got a scooby!)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next