ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.

Go down 
+9
jcast
Gunner Munro
Professor Gangrene Fan
JohnnyE4
Porky
RealSarahdactyl
TNshooter
Kimono Troop Command
FIELD STATION 42
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Empty
PostSubject: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2022 7:29 pm

The challenge is to make a simple sci-fi-esque background from packaging material such as styrofoam (polystrene to you Limeys) and spray paint. No limit on the number of entries, but please describe your technique.  

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  52364667293_14f6a0d91f_b

I pulled this piece of beaded styrofoam packaging out of a recycling bin. It was then painted with Tamiya Acrylic spray in light gun metal. The Acrylic paint will not cause shrinkage or melting of the foam.  Two lights are used here. A bounce light off the ceiling with no filters and another with a blue gel filter behind the styrofoam block. The lighting and saturation was then adjusted in Adobe Camera raw and Photoshop to give the optimal effect.

Last edited by Kimono Troop Command on Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2022 9:40 pm

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  27006268009_d3e9d0186e_z

There's not much recycling offered where I currently live, so the large styrofoam (polystyrene) packaging pieces I used for the main structure were salvaged from a rubbish dumpster at the community refuse transfer station. The refuse transfer station is a good source for supplies like this, as, unlike most garbage disposal sites these days, this one is unstaffed and nobody cares if you rummage through the bins.

It's kind of a sad world we live in, isn't it, when it is against the law in most places to take trash out of a dumpster, but gangs of thieves are neither pursued nor prosecuted for "smash-and-grab" looting of corner markets or even jewelry stores. Might be time to start thinking about the state of the world and maybe voting differently, eh? But I digress.

Visible here are five main styrofoam parts: on the right, two pieces glued together with white school glue (PVC glue) (against a third section not visible in the shadows that provides additional wall height above the ledge); on the left, a large square section with a center hole glued to a random smaller part that provides a base. The circular insert to the "dynamo" is a dense, heavy foam piece from the packaging for a washer or dryer. These interesting round pieces hold the drum in place during transportation, and I consider finding one to be a real score!

The semi-transparent center core of the "dynamo" is a plastic cup from a fast food restaurant backed by a piece of bubble wrap.

An assortment of random bits I picked up off the ground at the rubbish dump provide the detail: some soda bottle caps, some plastic straws, a metal clamp, and some lengths of metal wire. The floor surface is a piece of waxed paper that lined a basket of chips from a take-out restaurant.

The foam pieces were painted with a mix of Krylon, Rustoleum, and inexpensive "store brand" ColorPlace spray paints. I used a combination of grey primer, rust-red primer, dark grey, and black paint on this build, with a light mist of "metallic bronze" on some of the raised detail. I do not "mask" anything, as I am going for a randomly weathered look... and because I'm lazy and in a hurry. This type of paint reacts with the styrofoam, causing the foam to melt or develop pits. The paint must be applied in multiple very light passes, with the spray can held some distance from the surface, with time to dry between passes, to avoid excessively damaging the foam. For my purposes, some damage to the foam was not problematic, as it adds to the aged, weathered appearance.

Were I trying to achieve a "stone" or "concrete" effect, I would apply the paint somewhat more heavily and allow less time between passes, because the dissolving effect contributes to a stone-like appearance.

The red tinted window on the right is a scrap of red tissue paper glued on from the back. The window bars are toothpicks. The blue light inside the "dynamo" is from a string of blue battery-operated holiday string lights or "fairy lights."

The scene was set up in a dark area. Overall lighting is provided by a hand-held battery-operated flashlight (torch).

Contrast and color saturation were tweaked slightly using the basic slider controls in Apple Photos (formerly iPhoto).

The figure is a circa 2017 Mattel "City Chic" Barbie which I got greedy and sold when the price for a loose, unboxed figure reached a hundred dollars, or nearly three times what I originally paid. This figure now sells for between $200 and $300 for a loose nude doll without clothes, around $300 to $500 for an unboxed doll with clothing, and $700 to $900 for a mint-in-box example!

'Kay, now I just wanna cry!  Crying or Very sad

Oh well... perhaps I can find solace thinking of all the money I save by constructing diorama sets out of trash I find in rubbish bins.

Last edited by SCU_HQ on Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2022 9:45 pm

Great work Dave! I knew you would come through with something awesome
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2022 9:48 pm

Kimono Troop Command wrote:
Great work Dave! I knew you would come through with something awesome

Thanks. It was interesting re-visiting this build – which is one of my personal favorites – and thinking about the techniques I used, particularly for the painting.

At some point I intend to replace the blue lights with a different color. Digital camera sensors tend to be somewhat oversensitive to blue, and this blue lighting scheme has given me a lot of trouble achieving decent results.

Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2022 7:06 am

Very cool results guys! and a fab idea for a thread. At the moment, I have none of this stuff laying about, but I will keep an eye open for some bounce bounce bounce .
Back to top Go down
Porky
Eagle Eyes
Porky

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2022 8:21 am

What a great idea, and a couple of top class pieces !
I love making stuff from junk and I'll be sure to contribute something asap
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2022 10:03 am

I should be clear that the packaging does not need to be styrofoam. It can be any material commonly used to package products, that can be made to look like some sci fi-background or component thereof.

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
Porky
Eagle Eyes
Porky

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2022 2:28 pm

In an alternative universe, the other Miss Valentinova is engaged in heavy fighting against the Cybermen in the old derelict industrial area of District 7....

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  DSCF3360

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
Porky
Eagle Eyes
Porky

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2022 2:37 pm

^ It's a v. quick one I knocked up just now.. basically old cardboard that's been left outside for weeks and a bit of glue ! Smile
I'll perhaps try some ' movie lighting' type shots later when it gets dark ( before it all goes in the bin ! )

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  DSCF3361

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  DSCF3366

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2022 2:47 pm

looks good. A bit of metallic spray and a bit of rusty spray would make it looks great.
Back to top Go down
Porky
Eagle Eyes
Porky

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2022 4:18 pm

looks good.  A bit of metallic spray and a bit of rusty spray would make it looks great.
Good point, unfortunately all the shops here are going to be shut for the next 48 hrs or so due to poor ol' Queenie, so I'll have to make do with what I've got to hand !
I'll keep it for a while and fettle it tho..
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2022 4:21 pm

There is no time limit, not limit to the number of entries that you can make.
Back to top Go down
Porky
Eagle Eyes
Porky

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2022 4:53 pm

Good stuff I'll have a hunt round for more junk during the week
I blacked out the room and tried a few with 'lighting' tho only had a dodgy old torch on a bit of wire, must try and find the camera tripod I'm sure I've got, somewhere !

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  DSCF3386

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  DSCF3387

These look a bit "Miss V. Tomb Raider"  
"Bring me the head of the Cyber Controller "... Smile

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2022 5:13 pm

Very nicely done. The sharp, highly directional lighting gives the impression of sunlight poking its way through the gaps in a battle scarred building. Contrast and shadows very convincing.
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2022 5:46 pm

Crying or Very sad  Oh nooooo! After seeing these battle-damaged pix, I'm afraid there's yet another material I'll be scrounging up and keeping: old wet cardboard! The one thing I was usually willing to discard!

Great use of, well, of wet cardboard. Or cardboard that the cats have shredded! I'm gonna have to try this!

Oh, and: "dodgy old torch" lighting for the win! That's my standard go-to method! Cobbling together a wire stand is a good idea; I'll need to try that, too!

Eagle Eyes
Porky

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2022 5:50 pm

Very nicely done.  The sharp, highly directional lighting gives the impression of sunlight poking its way through the gaps in a battle scarred building. Contrast and shadows very convincing.  

Very generous praise, many thanks cheers
Like the old press photographers though, I had to bang off loads of shots to get just a few good ones !
Back to top Go down
Porky
Eagle Eyes
Porky

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2022 5:52 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
Crying or Very sad  Oh nooooo! After seeing these battle-damaged pix, I'm afraid there's yet another material I'll be scrounging up and keeping: old wet cardboard! The one thing I was usually willing to discard!

Great use of, well, of wet cardboard. Or cardboard that the cats have shredded! I'm gonna have to try this!

Oh, and: "dodgy old torch" lighting for the win! That's my standard go-to method! Cobbling together a wire stand is a good idea; I'll need to try that, too!

Dave you are obviously psychic ... much of the shredding was indeed done over a period by.. The Cat !!
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2022 7:04 am

Wet cardboard, brown paper, so many things that can be repurposed. The wall looks amazing Porky! Top work fella cheers

Porky likes this post

Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2022 3:58 am

When I moved six or so months years ago, I left behind most of my doll... I mean action figure... room boxes.

And then somehow, I... erm... acquired a few Ever After High figures. And what with their medieval theme and all, they really needed a castle in which to live, right? Okay, maybe not a castle in which to live; more like, a castle in which to have swordfights!

And where do swordfights normally take place? On a spiral staircase, 'natch!

So:

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Eah5sm
Spiral staircase; I may be over-reaching with this one!

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Fencing_elissa_darling_sm
A few damaged frames from the climactic swordfight sequence are the only known remnants
of the now-lost early Expressionist-era silent film, Die Piraten-Prinzessin und die Königin der Vampire
(The Pirate Princess and the Queen of the Vampires)

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Vandala2
More pirate action... on the more or less completed spiral staircase!

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Bratz_witch_stairs
Castles aren't just for knights and pirates; witches can live (or have swordfights) there, too!

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Staircase
Let's take a look at that staircase without all the fanceh cinematic mood lighting;
It needs some detail touch-ups, but this is more or less the Final Form.

But how did I actually build this thing, and what did I used? Well, in keeping with the title of this topic, I used white glue, hot-melt glue, spray paint, and cast-off packing materials: styrofoam (or whatever you guys call it in the UK... poly-something something) and cardboard. At least some of the cardboard came from breakfast cereal boxes and take-out pizza boxes. Yes, used take-out pizza boxes. Remember: Re-use is the purest form of recycling! Keep it green!

Here are some additional photos from the build process:

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Stairs1
Materials: flat non-corrugated cardboard, cardboard tissue tubes, white glue, hot-melt glue, scissors and knives
and various implements of sharpness and danger, ruler, pen or pencil, tape.

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Stairs2
The math part: 1:6 scale means two inches per foot. Stairs are about so and such high and whatever deep, and
true scale doesn't look quite right, so for each step I cut a rectangle 4 inches wide by 3-1/2 inches deep, marked and folded at a right angle to make the depth (the "tread" in stair terms) 2 inches and the "rise" 1-1/2 inches.
I traced a half-circle using the tissue tube as a guide and cut a notch at one end.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Through trial and error, I have learned that "scale" or "close to scale" does NOT work well for the "rise" in 1/6-scale stairs. The "rise," or height of the stairs, needs to be less than calculations would indicate, no more than one inch, and probably 3/4 (0.75) inch to be functionally practical for posing action figures.

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Stairs3
Hot glue the notched end of the steps to the cardboard tube center post. Glue the lower edge of each step to the step below it. The steps are actually rectangular, but they overlap, so they look triangular.

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Stairs4
Keep adding steps until you reach the top of the center post. If I really knew what I was doing, I would have had a specific height in mind, and I would have calculated the appropriate rise and tread width for each step so the top step would be aligned with the bottom step. Instead, I just made the structure 16 inches high, which should be tall enough for photo purposes.

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Stairs5
I decided to add little edges to each step. Tedious drawing and cutting and gluing. I should have planned this part better, but I was totally making this up as I went along.

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Stairs6
With the main cardboard structure completed, I started cutting styrofoam to fill in the sides. I debated whether to use styrofoam or cardboard to get a "stone" look. I should have used a better quality foam. This stuff was crumbly and messy and flimsy.
I used hot glue, because it's fast and I'm impatient and lazy, but hot glue melts styrofoam, so if you use hot glue with styrofoam, use it sparingly.

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Stairs7
Filling in the sides with styrofoam; as mentioned, I mostly used hot melt glue, and then added white glue to reinforce the joints.

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Stairs8
Another view as the styrofoam sides are filled in. I thought about adding windows and other details. Maybe next time.  

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Stairs9
Spray paint dissolves styrofoam. Just a reminder.  But spray paint is faster than brush painting. And a little bit of dissolving enhances the "aged stone" appearance, right? Light coats of paint, misted on. The plan is to use brush paint later for better coverage and to add detail.

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Stairs10
Elissabat inspects the shoddy craftsmanship progress.

After six years, this styro and cardboard staircase is still holding together and continues to be one of my more frequently used background scenery elements.

Oh, and, as for those sword fights... a lot of them ended up being chainsaw fights. Modern technology, y'know?

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  31586266458_665d252ec6_z

There ya go! Now get to work!

BAMComix, TNshooter and Porky like this post

Back to top Go down
Porky
Eagle Eyes
Porky

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2022 8:36 am

Epic !.. the barred window is very effective too ( oh and nice chainsaw Wink )
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2022 9:54 am

Fantastic walk through Dave! I enjoyed that a lot, might have to have a go myself at this build cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2022 12:14 pm

Great post Dave, and lovely images. If you want paint that won't damage styrofoam, Tamiya acrylic, though expensive, is completely safe on foam.
Back to top Go down
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2022 1:08 pm

Wow Dave you can’t really tell that the spiral staircase was made out of flat non-corrugated cardboard, cardboard tissue tubes then painted up. The spiral staircase actually looks like it was created out of stone.

Eagle Eyes
Porky

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2022 5:43 pm

Blondeactionman wrote:
Fantastic walk through Dave! I enjoyed that a lot, might have to have a go myself at this build cheers cheers

Go on.. You know you want to !... Smile
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2022 7:59 pm

Blondeactionman wrote:
I enjoyed that a lot, might have to have a go myself at this build.

What you really want to try to construct is wrought iron spiral stairs like Reverend Spooky built. Me, too! I even purchased... purchased, not scavenged... some supplies for a project like that!

If you want paint that won't damage styrofoam, Tamiya acrylic, though expensive, is completely safe on foam.

The fumes from the toxic enamel paint and dissolving foam are half the fun!   drunken
I use cheap Apple Barrel brand water-based acrylic craft paint for touch-ups and detailing.

The Robot King wrote:
The spiral staircase actually looks like it was created out of stone.

Welllll... I didn't want the other guys on the forum to feel bad, but I'm actually a master stonemason.  Rolling Eyes   (Not really... but I wish! I could build my own real castle!)

Porky wrote:
Go on.. You know you want to !

So do you... so let's see it!   Twisted Evil

- - - - - - -
- - - - -- -

While you guys are busy in the loo gathering cardboard tubes so you can start on making stairs (you do always save those cardboard tubes from the tissue rolls, don't you?), here's some spaceship scenery. I may have already posted this elsewhere on the forum at one point, but if I've forgotten about it, you probably have, too.

Here's a behind the scenes look at how to quickly and inexpensively put together a fairly convincing space ship interior.

Well, I'm convinced. Your standards may be higher.   Razz

First, here are a couple of demo photos. All I did in "post-production" was adjust saturation and contrast and sharpness using basic software:

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Spbs1

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Spbs2

Here's how I assembled the set using a few random bits of cardboard and styrofoam (polystyrene) packing material scavenged from rubbish and recycle bins and less than five minutes with spray paint. I use three colours of paint: flat black, flat grey primer, and flat rust primer.

The pressed cardboard pieces with the circular designs are the packaging from inexpensive floor lamps. I think the lamps cost something like ten dollars (US) or less. They're almost worth buying just to get the cool cardboard inserts!

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Spbs6

Here's my fancy lighting setup - a desk lamp and a flashlight (electric torch). I turn off the main room lights, and dial back the exposure compensation on the camera by 1-1/3 f/stops. Otherwise, the camera is fully automatic. I move the desk lamp around, and sometimes hold it by hand, to continually change the lighting angles and create different shadows, while shooting a lot of images, most of which end up being discarded.

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Spbs7a

There ya go! Space ship interiors do not need to be fancy, especially for run-down smuggler and pirate space ships!

I have a few old canned food tins I still need to mist with paint, then I will add them to these scenes when I need to suggest a cargo hold or warehouse.

If I'm feeling ambitious, I will sometimes perform additional post-production image editing using inexpensive or free iPad apps. The two apps I use most frequently are called PhotoToaster and Mextures. I did not use anything on the images seen here other than the basic image editing slider controls for contrast, highlights, saturation, and vignette (gotta keep those corners dark and spooky).

Porky likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next