ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.

Go down 
+9
jcast
Gunner Munro
Professor Gangrene Fan
JohnnyE4
Porky
RealSarahdactyl
TNshooter
Kimono Troop Command
FIELD STATION 42
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2022 5:47 pm

Well... seeing as how my previous post was met with deafening silence, here, in the interest of overwhelming disinterest, are a few more projects. They lack fully detailed tutorials, but they aren't that hard to figure out.

Plastic soda bottles aren't exactly "packing materials," although I suppose one could stretch the point and say that juice and soda are packed inside them.

A looooonnnngggg time ago now (seriously, was it really 2007?) I started with some empty soda bottles and some cardboard boxes...

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 847724148_40bca8f51b

... and built a U-Boat!

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 862627582_0c4d947a69

In all these years, my techniques have neither improved nor evolved. It's still cardboard, plastic, styrofoam, hot-melt glue, and spray paint.

Here's another soda bottle project from a few months ago:

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 51836665698_50b2705d29

Bottles and fast food beverage cups became a rocketship:

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 SHIP_EXPLOSION2

This is the diorama (or "room box" in doll forum terminology) I have been using most often for the past few months:

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 50549462332_f9e75f5818

The rear wall is a random piece of foam packing material. The sides and floor are insulation foam remnants left over from a neighbor's remodeling project. The seams are visible where I had to glue smaller blocks together to get the size I wanted. Glue, spray paint, and "mood lighting" and ya got yerself a swell secret underground lair... or a practice room for your garage band:

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 52205855045_ece1ba3eed

Finally... things like this are what I'm always hoping to score when I go to the dump! So much potential!

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 52038985037_856ba5dfda

Although that "potential" takes up a lot of space in the storage shed!  Embarassed

BAMComix, TNshooter and Porky like this post

Back to top Go down
Porky
Eagle Eyes
Porky

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 09, 2022 7:07 pm

Awesome stuff Dave.. no silence from me mate !

I just thought, the rocket ship really reminds me of... PIIGS IN SPAAAAAACE ! Very Happy

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Modular bulkhead sections   Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2022 7:40 pm

Copying MiskatonicNick's method of creating modular sci-fi backgrounds using foam core, spray paint and odds and ends. The technique I used will be explained in my next post.

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2022 9:24 pm

The rivets! The textures! The metallic colors! Gaaaahhhh! Mind BLOOWWWWNNN!!!! affraid

In short, what you're doing here is looking fantastic, and I'm looking forward to the "How To" segment because I think I need to start over from scratch!

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2022 9:29 pm

Coming up shortly, Dave.
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2022 9:42 pm

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 52418724741_ed6db953ba_b
Page_1
by
Gary  Menten
, on Flickr

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 52419002354_3993ffdab6_b
Page_2
by
Gary  Menten
, on Flickr

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 52419001319_5db487fe3f_b
Page_3
by
Gary  Menten
, on Flickr

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 52419155075_6d7d29f2d7_b
Page_4
by
Gary  Menten
, on Flickr

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 52418718441_be947a3628_b
Page_5
by
Gary  Menten
, on Flickr

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 52418996939_8b4f82f621_b
Page_6
by
Gary  Menten
, on Flickr

BAMComix, FIELD STATION 42 and TNshooter like this post

Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2022 10:41 pm

Super cool!

Are the "girders" made with foamcore board?

That's very helpful for me to know how you did the rivets. Thanks!

And thanks for providing a close-up photo of how you made the interlocking slots.

I have discovered that the minimum functional height for action figure walls is 16 inches. 18 inches is even better. That said, it looks like you could use your method to add horizontal connecting beams and add additional height to the walls.

Must have taken forever to measure, punch, and apply those rivets!

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2022 11:23 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
Super cool!

Are the "girders" made with foamcore board?

They are simply strips of foam core, cut approx 1.25 inches wide

That's very helpful for me to know how you did the rivets. Thanks!

They are not the greatest, but they work.

And thanks for providing a close-up photo of how you made the interlocking slots.

I have discovered that the minimum functional height for action figure walls is 16 inches. 18 inches is even better. That said, it looks like you could use your method to add horizontal connecting beams and add additional height to the walls.

The store did not have any 16" pieces.

Must have taken forever to measure, punch, and apply those rivets!

It is the most tedious part, but it does not take forever.
Back to top Go down
TNshooter
Military Police
TNshooter

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2022 11:41 pm

That's a great idea on the interlocking sections, A lot easier way to connect the sections.
But I'm curious how the corners fit together?

Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2022 11:45 pm

TNshooter wrote:
That's a great idea on the interlocking sections, A lot easier way to connect the sections.
But I'm curious how the corners fit together?

The corner requires a 90 deg right angle tab, that's all.
Back to top Go down
RealSarahdactyl
Action Sailor
RealSarahdactyl

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2022 5:13 am

These are all very impressive!

I like that U boat Dave!
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2022 7:04 am

More excellent builds guys! I really like the space ship Dave, as well as the box rooms you created. Really clever stuff!

Wow Gary! what a fantastic build on the walls so far, I'm sure the add wall detailing will really bring it all together bounce bounce .
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2022 8:26 am

Blondeactionman wrote:
More excellent builds guys! I really like the space ship Dave, as well as the box rooms you created. Really clever stuff!

Wow Gary! what a fantastic build on the walls so far, I'm sure the add wall detailing will really bring it all together bounce bounce .

I'm really just using the late MiskatonicNick's techniques, as he outlined them in some of his Flickr images and as I understand them. I am not even certain the material he was using was Foam Core, but it does sound like it.
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2022 1:40 am

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 52426254664_87dfcc9f78_b
Page_1
by
Gary  Menten
, on Flickr

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 52426485218_5272274f15_b
Page_2
by
Gary  Menten
, on Flickr

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 52425963271_c9e776c248_b
Page_3
by
Gary  Menten
, on Flickr

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 52426421445_ec78d130bb_b
Page_4
by
Gary  Menten
, on Flickr

BAMComix and Porky like this post

Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2022 3:25 am

lol! That's so funny, because... I literally just today painted a clear plastic lid specifically because I thought it looked like a reactor core!

lol!

Now... considering the attractiveness of much of the crew of the Inside Straight, a transparent bathtub might be an eye-catching addition to the decor!

Just... not in Spo...Schlock's quarters, please.

The Doctor doesn't need to take baths, does he?

French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2022 5:39 am

[quote="SCU_HQ"]lol!   That's so funny, because... I literally just today painted a clear plastic lid specifically because I thought it looked like a reactor core!
lol!

Fantastic plastic. Great minds think alike....or was Schlock using his limited telepathic powers to convey an idea to you.

Now... considering the attractiveness of much of the crew of the Inside Straight, a transparent bathtub might be an eye-catching addition to the decor!

We may yet build a shower room for the ladies.

Just... not in Spo...Schlock's quarters, please.

Vulcan males bathe in private.

The Doctor doesn't need to take baths, does he?f

Holograms don't sweat or get dirty.
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2022 6:23 am

Kimono Troop Command wrote:
....or was Schlock using his limited telepathic powers to convey an idea to you.

That might explain why one of my eyebrows kept twitching upward. scratch

Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2022 7:05 am

Looking forward to seeing the results bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2022 2:36 pm

Okay, not strictly packaging, but foam board. I had quite a few odd shaped bits left over from various builds so I decided to put them to good use. Instead of carving the stone work, I cut the foam pieces into brick shapes. Then using silicone glue (No more nails) I glued them to a piece of chip board i had made into  a wall and a base. It took a while, but ended up with something that resembled a ruin. I painted it. I also had a few old table legs which I use as pillars. Still needs finishing, but wanted to share what I had so far.

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Ruins-1
Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Ruins-2

TNshooter and Porky like this post

Back to top Go down
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2022 2:38 pm

Wow that’s impressive Dal.

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2022 3:17 pm

Clever use of the table legs! This is looking fantastic!

If you do your "wargaming style" painting and add some moss, this will be mind-blowingly cool! cheers

I would say the table legs count for the theme of this topic, because they are salvaged and re-purposed "junk" material. Wink

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
Porky
Eagle Eyes
Porky

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2022 4:25 pm

Brilliant ! looks like an old bombed out fireplace where the chimney has collapsed Smile

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2022 3:40 am

Great work Dal. The material is not required to be packaging material. Any old junk you have lying around will do. It's the spirit that matters....

BAMComix likes this post

Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2022 7:01 am

Thanks guys! It's coming along slowly, I'm trying to fit carrying on with this during 1.1 jobs. Hopefully I will have another update soon! bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Kimono Troop Command
French Resistance
Kimono Troop Command

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2022 4:54 am

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 52439025113_8876f2f82a_b
by
Gary Menten
, on Flickr

Okay, this is what I've been working on, somewhat imperfectly for the last few days. The inner ring of the porthole or view port is made made from a wooden macrame ring, the larger and flatter outer ring from the shiny cardboard top to an aluminum food dish; cost: 3 for $1.00. The rivets are more of the small rivets I've been using for the bulkhead joints and the whole was spray painted in light gun metal with Tamiya acrylic spray. The planet and starfield behind the view port were added in using Photoshop.

BAMComix, TNshooter and Porky like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.    Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Packaging and Spray Paint Challenge.
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next