ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish Empty
PostSubject: Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish   Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 12:05 pm

Harry Mctavish interview

name ?
Ray

online name ?
Harry McTavish

location ?
Spotswood about 5-10 mins north of a small rural village called Cheviot in the South Island of New Zealand

Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish Southisland_zpsde0c2fbe

First vam/gi joe/mam or 1/6 figure ?
I was born and raised in a small town called Timaru. So all I had was a cheap imitation until a met an English lad the eldest of two boys of a couple who had just moved in down the road. Wow look at his Action man, Fuzzy hair and gripping hands. His mother, who he had to interpret for me, her speed and accent was just to much for my poor little brain to fathom, agreed he could sell him to me. I only had the one outfit for him, green pants and jersey and a pair of boots. Action Man never really had the following it had in Britain, mainly because he just wasn't available, so I wasn't able to get him any outfits but I still had a lot of fun with him and loved him to bits. One of my favourite memories is making a parachute out of a plastic bag and throwing him off a bridge in Timaru with my English friend. He would use his Planet of the Apes figure. Always makes me smile when I think of it.

Favourite figure now ?
I have an EE talking commander thats a bit special because I got it from Dal and don't know if I could get one here in NZ and my first PH which Dan helped me with.Lastly my Hybrid which is the same as the one I had as a lad. I'm sure I'll have more favourites as my collection grows.

Most desired Item ?
At the moment a full polar explorer with dog sled and maybe a french foreign legionnaire

What will you do with your collection as you get older ?
Who says I have to get older,I've been 11 for thirty something years. Sorry but I just refuse to grow up.LOL

do you set yourself a budget ?
Love too but not possible.I bought two Mams a while ago thinking I might get a remote control vehicle to put them in but when I got them one had fuzzy hair and that bought back certain memories, so that it was it, I had to try and get my childhood Vam. I got lucky and ended up with two. I thought they would be hard to get here in NZ as as I said I didn't think they came out here. Maybe they did in the bigger cities. Anyway at the moment I'm lucky to have found a very nice lady,Mary on a NZ auction site. Mary claims to have been collecting since they came out in 66(the year I was born) and has two of almost everything, so Mary has been my main supplier lately and I have been very happy with my acquisitions so far. Price wise they are quite expensive, anything from 90 to 100 dollars. But then my only other option is ebay and then its in pounds. Its ok if its really cheap, like the Mam I bought for nine pounds, when you convert it it comes to 18 dollars nz but when it comes to something like a polar explorer for a hundred and seventy pounds it comes out to 340 dollars nz. So I take what I can get. I've sold a few of my other toys to help fund my addiction and I'm a self employed window cleaner, cash jobs, so I just put a bit aside so sometimes it may take a couple of weeks to pay but then Mary doesn't seem to mind and besides I don't mind going hungry for a bit if it means another Vam, a bag of rice goes a long way LOL. Have just recently got some money from me old mans estate so I'll use some of that.If Mary would stop putting nice things up for sale that would help.

worst vam/gi joe/mam or 1/6 figure ?
Would have to be the Space ranger seems like nobody really likes him.

views on 40th reproductions ?
I've only seen them on ebay so no expert but maybe they should have come up with something more original than just copying Vam.Something like a present day version of some of the outfits ie what the british infantry wear today.

Best thing about collecting vam/gi joe/mam or 1/6 ?
Getting the outfits I could only dream about as a lad.My childhood friend had a lot of the outfits but they went to his younger brother for his AM,and I'd seen a catalogue so knew what was out there.I saw there was one with a beard and thought that was cool, now I actually have one.

Do you think your collection will be collectible in the future ?
I think so, some people have some very old dolls. I bet if you asked a Victorian that question back in the day they wouldn't have thought so but I'm sure there's a few nice Victorian doll collections out there somewhere.

If you did not collect vam/gi joe/mam or 1/6 what would you collect ?
I guess I'm a bit of a magpie and collect a lot of useless junk. I didn't realize how military obsessed I was till I answered this question.I collect the odd bit of militaria if I see something that takes my fancy. I also have a small collection of military planes and at the moment I'm collecting The Combat Tanks Collection which comes out once a fortnight of which I have seventy.

Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish DSCN7676_zpsa783f728

Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish DSCN7675_zpse9c1cdd4

why do you like ammo ?
Because of its warm and inviting atmosphere. And some real decent blokes who don't mind some clueless kiwi asking stupid questions. Honestly I would be lost without you guys. As I said, I grew up with one Vam with one outfit, so I don't have a clue when it comes to what goes with what. I look at things on ebay to get some idea, like my green beret I saw one on ebay with a scarf and quite a few accessories so assumed that the scarf at least was part of the uniform.And my British Infantry fella looked complete apart from his waterbottle and I saw he had puttees which thanks to ammo I knew was hard to get but thanks to Dan I also found out his sten gun is hard to get. So with out ammo and all its wonderful members I'd be completely in the dark and have a wonderful mismatched Vam collection and no one to share it with. So sorry guys but ya stuck with me.
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish   Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 12:16 pm

Great interview Ray, always great to learn more about a fellow collecter, I am so pleased you are happy with the bp talking commander Very Happy . Sounds like you had a great childhood mate, full of happy vam memories cheers
Back to top Go down
Danthecoat
Crash Crew
Danthecoat

PostSubject: Re: Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish   Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish Icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Great interview and i know i shouldnt have favourites but you are one of my favourites mate Wink
Back to top Go down
lumarshall
New Recruit
lumarshall

PostSubject: Re: Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish   Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 7:37 pm

Great interview Harry nice to know a lot about you and how all of us on this site have so much in common
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish   Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 8:07 pm

Great interview Ray and the first on AMMO congrats Very Happy Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish   Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 8:04 am

Thanks for your lovely comments. Its real pleasure to share a little something about me. As its been said a lot of us have things in common other than Vam. And Dan thats the nicest thing anyones said to me thanks mate. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sparkys6887
Arctic Explorer
Sparkys6887

PostSubject: Re: Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish   Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 7:37 pm

Great interview Ray. So pleased you have found a VAM home where you can share the fun of collecting VAM.
Back to top Go down
http://www.creativecounselling.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish   Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Novembers Interview (first On AMMO) - HarryMctavish
Page 1 of 1