ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Air Adventurer Restore Project

Go down 
+8
barney_leadhead
gibri
Fonnezz
Sparklebudgie
clivvers
BAMComix
somekindajoe
TheOneManKid
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

New Air Adventurer Restore Project Empty
PostSubject: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 6:16 pm

A new Air Adventurer turned up today at Tom K HQ all the way from sunny Essex and cost us the princely sum of £10.87 shipped... Very Happy

These are the 'as he arrived photos' the head has already had a face wash and looking better already! He'll soon be off to Flock Concepts for a standard Air Adventurer makeover and I'll paint the new eyebrows as they don't offer that service.

The body is getting a strip down and clean. I'm going to replace the torso with a better matching colour one and replace the hooks as they are quite rusty. The rest is all good and he'll make a fine figure once complete!

New Air Adventurer Restore Project Air_ad10

New Air Adventurer Restore Project Air_ad11

Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 6:19 pm

He has a great face. He'll fit in very well with Tom's pretty boys! lol!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 6:36 pm

Terrific pick up Ralph! cheers
Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 6:39 pm

somekindajoe wrote:

He has a great face. He'll fit in very well with Tom's pretty boys! lol!

He's cleaning up just great, he'll be a handsome fella once finished!

Back to top Go down
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 7:35 pm

Nice Joe! They come in as tramps and end up as playboys at your HQ cheers

I've used very fine 1200 grade wet 'n dry to remove rust from rivets in the past Wink

TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 7:43 pm

clivvers wrote:
Nice Joe! They come in as tramps and end up as playboys at your HQ  cheers

I've used very fine 1200 grade wet 'n dry to remove rust from rivets in the past Wink

They do Clive! Actually the rust has come off with a nice scrub in the tub! I had to do a bit of stitches magic on the elastic and put some nice rust free hooks in, poses as good as the best of them now... Cool

Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 8:07 pm

He's just had a good scrub in the tub! Looking much better already... Very Happy
New Air Adventurer Restore Project Air_ad13

Feeling as fresh as a daisy... flower
New Air Adventurer Restore Project Air_ad14

Back to top Go down
Sparklebudgie
Sabotage
Sparklebudgie

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 8:08 pm

What a bargain, look forward to seeing him finished.

Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 8:09 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 8:14 pm

Sparklebudgie wrote:

What about that flock mix Brian? I haven't had any luck with getting it replicated so far... Crying or Very sad I'm thinking of sending him off to Flock Concepts, as he is churning out replica Air Adventurer flocks and I don't hear anyone complaining!

Back to top Go down
Fonnezz
Flock Head (Hard Hands)
Fonnezz

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 9:14 pm

Great figure , looking forward to the finished article!
Back to top Go down
Fonnezz
Flock Head (Hard Hands)
Fonnezz

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 9:33 pm

TheOneManKid wrote:
Sparklebudgie wrote:

What about that flock mix Brian? I haven't had any luck with getting it replicated so far... Crying or Very sad I'm thinking of sending him off to Flock Concepts, as he is churning out replica Air Adventurer flocks and I don't hear anyone complaining!

Any particular reason you use Flock Concepts?
Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 9:44 pm

Fonnezz wrote:
TheOneManKid wrote:
Sparklebudgie wrote:

Any particular reason you use Flock Concepts?

None, other than curiosity! I have a buddy in the States who is helping me send a Sea Adventurer head to Flock Concepts, along with a bunch of his own heads. I am curious how it'll turn out. I'll have to do the eyebrows. I might wait till that one comes back, before I decide to send this Air Adventurer head.

Back to top Go down
gibri
Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2015 1:06 am

I have not used Flock Concepts myself, but I have seen photos of many heads he has reflocked. They look excellent and I have heard much praise for his work and no grumblings at all.

Always enjoy seeing a good restoration. Do you have any photos of the hook replacements? Sounds like you have a system. Any thoughts of doing a tutorial?

Thanks,
Brian
cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2015 5:38 am

gibri wrote:
I have not used Flock Concepts myself, but I have seen photos of many heads he has reflocked. They look excellent and I have heard much praise for his work and no grumblings at all.

Always enjoy seeing a good restoration. Do you have any photos of the hook replacements? Sounds like you have a system. Any thoughts of doing a tutorial?

Thanks,
Brian
cheers cheers cheers

There is no system for hooks, I just have a few spares from other strip downs. I just used nice clean spares instead of the rusting ones. I also had to stitch the elastic where the rust was eating through on the main elastic. I had to take some spare vintage elastic and stitch together a couple of pieces for the arm elastic for the same reason. If I get any good clean vintage elastic in, then I might consider a complete replacement, but he is good to go at the moment!

Yeah, I agree, I'm not hearing anything negative about his flocking. I took this sample photo of his Air Adventurer flock mix from the website and I also read on there that he has variations on a mix to try his best to match original. Let's see how it goes... Very Happy

New Air Adventurer Restore Project Flock_10

Back to top Go down
barney_leadhead
Painted Head
barney_leadhead

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2015 9:40 am

Great win - I like the slightly fuller lower face that the vintage Joe has.

I'm a little bit obsessive in regard to removing rust from rivets but I always think the effort is worthwhile and you know that there will be no staining of any clothes in the future.

I look forward to seeing him finished Cool

Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2015 4:43 pm

barney_leadhead wrote:

I'm a little bit obsessive in regard to removing rust from rivets but I always think the effort is worthwhile and you know that there will be no staining of any clothes in the future.

I have a plan for cleaning up those rivets. I'll post up once done.

Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2015 6:01 pm

barney_leadhead wrote:

Better? Anxiety levels subsiding? lol!

I used this cool soft nail polisher to polish the rivet heads, seems to work a treat! Cool

Head's on its way to Flock Concepts already!

New Air Adventurer Restore Project Polish10

Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2015 6:13 pm

Great stuff Ralph!
Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2015 7:45 pm

Rolling Eyes I've never polished a rivet in my life!

...am I missing something?? lol!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
clivvers
HOME OFFICE MINISTER
clivvers

Location : Between here and saving another MAM again! "That's one small step for a MAM, one giant leap for MAMkind"

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2015 9:15 pm

It's coming along very nicely, Ralph Cool

I can't wait to see what outfit the figure will be dressed in bounce

TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2015 9:41 pm

somekindajoe wrote:
Rolling Eyes  I've never polished a rivet in my life!

It's when we start surgically removing rivets, clean them, polish them and then spend an hour on each re-inserting them without damaging the rivet or the figure, that we need to start worrying that it might be a just a tad OTT!

Hrrmm... now that gives me an idea... lol!

Back to top Go down
TheOneManKid
Red Devil
TheOneManKid

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2015 9:50 pm

clivvers wrote:
It's coming along very nicely, Ralph Cool

I can't wait to see what outfit the figure will be dressed in bounce

Well let's hope the head finds its way back to Tom K HQ first, before we start thinking on what outfit... Razz

Its gone to Flock Concepts via Wisconsin and time moves very slowly there (something to do with quantum physics and the arrow of time), so it could be a few months before it returns, hopefully by Christmas though... santa

Back to top Go down
barney_leadhead
Painted Head
barney_leadhead

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2015 12:15 am

somekindajoe wrote:
Rolling Eyes  I've never polished a rivet in my life!

Nope... but count yourself lucky that the obsession has not taken hold Twisted Evil

One my vintage MoA Joe the rivets seem to be an alloy and the corrosion is no where near as bad as on the chromed steel VAM ones.
My weapon of choice is a fibreglass pencil/brush but would consider a nail buffer for the Joe - nice tip TOMK Cool

Painted Head
AdventureTeamHQ.com

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 10:01 am

I look forward to seeing more progress on this.

What a Face

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Air Adventurer Restore Project   New Air Adventurer Restore Project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Air Adventurer Restore Project
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next