ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------

Go down 
+9
somekindajoe
Jet-
gibri
inntruderr61
Reddragon
Rossini
BAMComix
blueboxier
brownboots
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
brownboots
Admin
brownboots

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Empty
PostSubject: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 1:18 pm

Before I start I'd like to thank AK and Captain Action for their time and generosity....thanks chaps!

---------------------------------New for 1977-------------------------------------------------------------

I've had this project brewing for quite some time! My aim was to take some old heads and restore them to
Figures I would have loved to have seen as a Kid in 1977. I decided on a Ben Kenobi AM and a Japanese
Character. After Ak had donated a scrap head I had my start, the Japanese head had already been completed
a year ago after I had painted up a batch of 4. I then though I'd like to see them Flocked as a 77 figure would have been, after a kind offer from Captain Action I had my Project end in sight.

Ben Kenobi Head.
After stripping the flock and performing a slight repair on the nose (super glue) this was the starting point.

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Resto_01_zpswv29yuuw

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Resto_02_zpsfpajz9jg

The next stage was to use a grey Spray Primer on the head, I found through trail and mostly error that the older AM heads do sometimes react badly when painted becoming shiney and sticky, this negates that result.

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Resto_03_zpsmymcmrgy

One undercoat sanding later paint was added (Citadel) I use soft make-up brushes to apply the skin tone as it drys to my eye smoother. Damn eyebrows!!! the bane of my life!! messed them up first go!

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Resto_03a_zpsc1kboyo2

I painted an approximation of the Grey flock for the hair as a guide, the head by now was nearly done, I use
Humbrol Matt Acrylic Varnish for the finish, it usually takes about 4-5 light coats to give it that new toy look.

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Resto_04_zpsuednopap

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Resto_05_zpszyyaqmta

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Resto_06_zps1fr7oegt

The heads finished...

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Resto_07_zpszylndkjd

.......now the Mythical process of Flocking awaited!!

Here are the pics.....and over to Captain Action to explain the process!!
sorry ,was at work last night .....but here goes,
not so mythical really the big secret Is quality glue ,more on that in a minute,
first off you can see my humble little flocking machine which I purchased from ebay for £30
this is what railway modellers and miniature soldier modellers use to produce tufts of grass or scenic grass hay meadows etc using electrostatic to produce the fibre that stands on its end

now the BIG secret the glue or bonding! I use quality 2 part epoxy resin this has a working time of 4 hours ,so plenty of time to flock and work a style if needed and does not go off instantly, it has a cure time to total hardness of 24 hrs , I have tried other options to no avail, but I like this the best and as you can see is still liquid enough to paint on the head even at a 50/50 ratio
Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Flocking_01_zpstxgd6zxs

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Flocking_02_zpsb3xax3kw
The epoxy dries solid but initially is like a thick paint and as you can see is easy enough to apply to the head with a paintbrush following the desired hairline.
place the desired amount of flock for a head on the plate evenly spread it does not matter how much as you will see when the head has taken enough flock, better to have some leftover than have to stop and place more flock on  the plate
the blue wire connects to the head or in this case to save damage to the neck a screwdriver that is in the head as the metal of the screwdriver goes to the top of the head, this creates an  electrostatic circuit between the plate the flock is on and the head ,much like rubbing a balloon on your jumper and making your hair stand on end ,if you are fortunate to still have your own !

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Flocking_03_zpshvifamk4

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Flocking_04_zpsubpvrvvk

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Flocking_05_zpsq2dwkjzz

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Flocking_06_zps7hdghpys
once you have the desired amount of flock leave the head to stand and cure for 24 hrs , do not be tempted to touch or remove any errant hairs ,as the glue is still soft and you could leave depressions in the flock,in the 4 hour period though you can add features like a parting which I added to the grey bearded head in the picture by using the unsharp side of a stanly blade by pressing lightly to flatten leaving a parting line.
if the flock has not stuck to the glue it will come off after the 24 hr cure when you brush off the excess , for this I use a soft childs toothbrush (new)and gently brush the flock especially around the hairline or any beard line , the flock is well and truly stuck in the epoxy which is hard and only excess will be removed , this sharpens up the hairline considerably then I trim any long hairs which you will always get in flock as there are a few stray long ones in my experience, for this I am lucky enough to have a wife who is a hairdresser and she donated an old pair of her hairdressing scissors , then you should have a reasonable flocked head , I highly recommend that you gently clean the face with a bit of mild soapy water with a cotton bud as depending on colour of flock can leave the face quite dusty .
also a dust musk is a must as you do not want to breathe in the flock fibre .
So that's about it , my take on the dark art of flocking , as I say you can find these flocking machines on ebay , paintbrush scissors epoxy resin a screwdriver or wooden dowel and your set to give it ago the only way to do it is to do it as they say !
Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Flocking_07_zps3chyhxit

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Flocking_08_zpsjb5uxcnl

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Flocking_09_zpsvera4f7v

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Flocking_10_zpsxpnvuaqt

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Flocking_11_zpsrlhc4wxi

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Flocking_07a_zpshlhvcdy5

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Flocking_07b_zps43i7bfy8

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Flocking_07c_zpshzd7wtqi

Part 2. Coming soon, New to 77......The Figures.
Back to top Go down
blueboxier
Arctic Explorer
blueboxier

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 2:00 pm

a super step by step bb the heads look brand new well done . how did you fix the nose btw

Admin
brownboots

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 2:04 pm

blueboxier wrote:
a super step by step bb the heads look brand new well done . how did you fix the nose btw

I used some light layers of superglue gel applied then heated with a hair dryer to speed up the process, then it's just a job of buffing into shape with light wet and dry paper.
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 2:23 pm

Excellent stuff Paul!, we have chatted about this project on chat for a while, and it was well worth the wait to see the final result. Well done also to Jay!, a cracking job on the re flocking mate, you are becoming a dab hand mate! Looking forward to seeing where they go from here!

Top work Paul cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
brownboots
Admin
brownboots

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 2:59 pm

Blondeactionman wrote:
Excellent stuff Paul!, we have chatted about this project on chat for a while, and it was well worth the wait to see the final result. Well done also to Jay!, a cracking job on the re flocking mate, you are becoming a dab hand mate! Looking forward to seeing where they go from here!

Cheers!......Ben Kenobi and Tokyo Cop to come soon!
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 3:04 pm

brownboots wrote:
Blondeactionman wrote:

Cheers!......Ben Kenobi and Tokyo Cop to come soon!

Awesome! cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Rossini
Red Devil
Rossini

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 4:52 pm

Awesome!!! Teamwork is always a great thing! Smile

SCRAMBLE PILOT
Reddragon

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 7:50 pm

Great project BB, nice flocking C.A. cheers cheers cheers

inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 8:08 pm

Wow! Well done! And thanks for sharing BB! cheers
The step by step was fantastic! cheers

Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 9:28 pm

Excellent work on these "1977" heads, excellent photography, excellent paintwork, excellent flocking, excellent, excellent!!!

Make-up brushes -- great tip! (I hope Ms. Brownboots approves)

Top, top work all around! Great collaborative effort!!!

Brian
cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Jet-
Medic
Jet-

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 9:51 pm

Great little project, the eyes are so well painted especially the jap .
Back to top Go down
somekindajoe
French Resistance
somekindajoe

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 10:33 pm

Top work Paul! You're an artiste! lol!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Back to top Go down
Hawkeye
Australian Jungle Fighter
Hawkeye

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 10:44 pm

Great job nice bit of teamwork cheers cheers cheers

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 1:06 am

great work
Back to top Go down
blueboxier
Arctic Explorer
blueboxier

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 10:35 am

brownboots wrote:
blueboxier wrote:

I used some light layers of superglue gel applied then heated with a hair dryer to speed up the process, then it's just a job of buffing into shape with light wet and dry paper.
a really simple tip that i think that many of us will find very useful , thank you

Action Pilot
ak615

Location : Off the shoulder of orion in the dark near the tanhauser gate

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 4:21 pm

Great post and a rake of useful tips well done. cheers

Admin
brownboots

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 12:23 am

Thanks CA for your step by step Flocking process write up, very informative and
Interesting, thanks again, Top Job!! Well worth a read through!
Back to top Go down
Wolf_Soldier64
Wolf_Soldier64

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 3:14 pm

Awesome job well done Very Happy

Admin
brownboots

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 10:45 pm

Quick test shot...........

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Ben%20ken%201_zpsy2yftenf

More to come.
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 11:03 pm

Outstanding work Paul!, he looks great! That bash truly deserves all 5 stars mate cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Reddragon
SCRAMBLE PILOT
Reddragon

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 11:15 pm

He looks great BB, fantastic work cheers cheers cheers

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2016 11:35 pm

brilliant
Back to top Go down
ak615
Action Pilot
ak615

Location : Off the shoulder of orion in the dark near the tanhauser gate

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 3:25 am

Excellent what a transformation Very Happy cheers Very Happy

Captian action

Location : Kent, The Lorry Park of England ! Some call it the garden of England , it is ,if your garden is covered in wheelie bins and dog doo !

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 8:41 am

as a star wars and action man fan all I can say is WOW the force is indeed with you !

Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heavenProject Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- G.I.-Joe-1964-Lineup-Title_zpsaepa6syh Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
brownboots
Admin
brownboots

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 6:34 pm

Thanks all! It's been a great little Project to do especially collaborating with fellow Forum Members.
I'll snap some better pix over the weekend of both figures!

Phew!....building that real working Lightsabre in 1/6 was tough!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------   Project Restore-----------------New for 1977----------- Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Project Restore-----------------New for 1977-----------
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next