ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!

Go down 
+10
blackbrazen
Beatlefan
gibri
Gunner Munro
Professor Gangrene Fan
Dreadnought
Rogue-Trooper
inntruderr61
JohnnyE4
somekindajoe
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2019 5:19 pm

Been having another go at the study. Today's work involved building some bookcases, and a bit of wallpapering, and then building the second half of Jake's study. First up, the bookcases,

Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Bookcases-00-1

Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Bookcases-00-2

Okay,okay, so I cheated!, but they do look good, and I think once other bits have been added they will look fine. Okay, so next up was the second half of Jake's study, no progress pics this time, I kinda got carried away! lol! but here is the progress so far.

Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Study-Dio-2-00-1

The room is a basic box construction which I buit sometime ago but never used until now. Louise got me a working fireplace, so I cut the board at the back so that I could slide the fire in from the back. The cool thing about the fire is it has flame effects cheers

Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Study-Dio-2-00-2

Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Study-Dio-2-00-3

Although the larger part of Jake's study looks like it is nearing the finishing line, sadly, I am running out of materials, so the project may now stall for a while, until I buy what I need. Thanks for popping in and taking a look! more to come soon! bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Rogue-Trooper
Green Beret
Rogue-Trooper

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2019 5:27 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
Rogue-Trooper wrote:
I would be interested to know what kind of problems placing a window on a back wall creates as I was thinking of doing just that.

In my experience, the main issue with having a back wall window is unwanted reflections, either from the camera flash or when setting up lighting, or from lights in the room. Also, the photographer often shows up faintly in the "glass" of a back-wall window.

Makes sense..cheers fellas cheers

Chris
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2019 5:33 pm

A working fireplace! Now that is what I call high style! cheers

The book nook looks quite elegant. study That little "bump out" between the nooks does wonders for turning a plain wall into something that looks rather elegant. Your choice of wall covering, the dark red, is excellent, coordinating well with the bricks and with the natural wood.

Back to the topic of windows for a moment: I usually use the plastic from figure boxes for windows, and it is quite reflective. I ended up sanding most of my windows with fine-grit sandpaper and steel wool to cut the glare. This gives the windows a frosted (or dirty) appearance, which works in my dioramas, but would not be an option if transparency is desired.

Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2019 7:27 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
A working fireplace! Now that is what I call high style! cheers

The book nook looks quite elegant.  study  That little "bump out" between the nooks does wonders for turning a plain wall into something that looks rather elegant. Your choice of wall covering, the dark red, is excellent, coordinating well with the bricks and with the natural wood.

Back to the topic of windows for a moment: I usually use the plastic from figure boxes for windows, and it is quite reflective. I ended up sanding most of my windows with fine-grit sandpaper and steel wool to cut the glare. This gives the windows a frosted (or dirty) appearance, which works in my dioramas, but would not be an option if transparency is desired.

Cheers David!, I knew I had to raise the bar when you said the last one was perfection! lol! lol! How do I top that??? Very Happy . You are correct, having the nooks in the walls really gives the room depth. The fireplace is a great piece, I had to sink it into the wall, so the back wall is made up of board and insolation board to accommodate it! It is about 2" depth, so it would have been too big to be free standing in the room. The wall book cases in truth are a tribute to our friend MiskatonicNick, in fact it was him who encouraged me to try them cheers , really glad I did. If you look back to my very first study build, probably on one of the last few pages on my flickr, Jake's study was originally red and so I wanted to return to that Very Happy . Thanks for tuning in and leaving such great comments! bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 3:15 am

Blondeactionman wrote:
First up, the bookcases, Okay,okay, so I cheated!, but they do look good,
Yes they most certainly do, but I'm wondering if Jake suffers from OCD, seeing as he has gone to great trouble to buy pairs of absolutely identical books and arrange them in perfect symmetry in both the upper and lower bookcases?  Embarassed   Embarassed   Embarassed
A possibility of course!

It might be worth considering that if you do go ahead and use the "plastic" from a box for your glass in the hopes of it being less reflective, it will over time darken and go very yellow from the light. This might not only mar your otherwise beautiful work, but will be a real problem to pull out and replace after everything is finished.
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 4:58 am

[quote="LeStryge"]
Blondeactionman wrote:
It might be worth considering that if you do go ahead and use the "plastic" from a box for your glass in the hopes of it being less reflective, it will over time darken and go very yellow from the light.

Soot-darkened windows, from the fireplace within and the smoggy London air outside. Appropriate and plausible. Wink

Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 5:07 am

Fantastic work Dal, just love the bookcases!!! The fireplace is going to look awesome too!

I'm sure you can get non-reflective glass from a framing shop. I'm not sure of the name of it, but my son says they call it "Museum glass" where he works. It costs a little more, but would probably be worth it.

Top work!!!

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 7:49 am

LeStryge wrote:
Blondeactionman wrote:
First up, the bookcases, Okay,okay, so I cheated!, but they do look good,
Yes they most certainly do, but I'm wondering if Jake suffers from OCD, seeing as he has gone to great trouble to buy pairs of absolutely identical books and arrange them in perfect symmetry in both the upper and lower bookcases?  Embarassed   Embarassed   Embarassed
A possibility of course!

It might be worth considering that if you do go ahead and use the "plastic" from a box for your glass in the hopes of it being less reflective, it will over time darken and go very yellow from the light. This might not only mar your otherwise beautiful work, but will be a real problem to pull out and replace after everything is finished.

lol! lol! lol! Nah he is just extremely organized Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 7:49 am

SCU_HQ wrote:
LeStryge wrote:
Blondeactionman wrote:
It might be worth considering that if you do go ahead and use the "plastic" from a box for your glass in the hopes of it being less reflective, it will over time darken and go very yellow from the light.

Soot-darkened windows, from the fireplace within and the smoggy London air outside. Appropriate and plausible. Wink

That is a great explanation David, I like that! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 7:51 am

gibri wrote:
Fantastic work Dal, just love the bookcases!!! The fireplace is going to look awesome too!

I'm sure you can get non-reflective glass from a framing shop. I'm not sure of the name of it, but my son says they call it "Museum glass" where he works. It costs a little more, but would probably be worth it.

Top work!!!

cheers cheers cheers

Many thanks Bri Very Happy , I agree, with a few finishing touches it will look much better cheers .
Great tip on the glass too bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 9:15 am

SCU_HQ wrote:

Yes, a great solution, but unfortunately I can tell you from bitter experience that the stuff goes an all-over ugly darkish browny-yellow treacle colour, and not really reminiscent of accumulated grime.

I wouldn't want Dal to have to pull his magnificent work apart just to change the damned darkened acetate.  
Anything acetate you want to preserve as clear has to be kept in the dark.
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 9:38 am

LeStryge wrote:
SCU_HQ wrote:

Yes, a great solution, but unfortunately I can tell you from bitter experience that the stuff goes an all-over ugly darkish browny-yellow treacle colour, and not really reminiscent of accumulated grime.

I wouldn't want Dal to have to pull his magnificent work apart just to change the damned darkened acetate.  
Anything acetate you want to preserve as clear has to be kept in the dark.

The windows glass I have used here is perspex, so shouldn't have too many problems bounce .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 9:50 am

Blondeactionman wrote:
The windows glass I have used here is perspex, so shouldn't have too many problems bounce .
No, of course perspex won't!
But a previous post had you considering using acetate to avoid reflections and I just wanted to save you the anguish of it darkening and ruining all your beautiful work, requiring a tedious replacement.
Apologies if my purpose was misunderstood.
I assure my intentions were good.   Sad  Crying or Very sad  Sad
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 9:55 am

LeStryge wrote:
Blondeactionman wrote:
No, of course perspex won't!
But a previous post had you considering using acetate to avoid reflections and I just wanted to save you the anguish of it darkening and ruining all your beautiful work, requiring a tedious replacement.
Apologies if my purpose was misunderstood.
I assure my intentions were good.   Sad  Crying or Very sad  Sad

oh course, no problems at all my friend. If I had have tried plastic, I would have definitely had a practice run first. Don't feel bad, Ammo is a place for advice and help, so all ideas are always welcome cheers
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 4:48 pm

So onto today's progress.I finally got around to fitting the door and frame, I also added the top of the banister, It is getting there now. I still have a few jobs to do, mainly finishing touches. More too follow soon!

Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Room-00-4

Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Room-00-1

Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Room-00-2

Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Room-00-3

Thanks for stopping by to take a look! bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
Rogue-Trooper
Green Beret
Rogue-Trooper

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 4:50 pm

Wow..it looks amazing already cheers that window view looks so realistic

Chris
Back to top Go down
FIELD STATION 42
Admin
FIELD STATION 42

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 4:57 pm

The stairs really came together nicely! Everything looks fantastic so far, even with flat "documentary" lighting! Once the details and props are re-installed, and with atmospheric "scene" lighting it will look positively amazing! Perhaps you were able to out-do the perfection of the previous version!

Does the ceiling detach for photography purposes?

Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 5:02 pm

Rogue-Trooper wrote:
Wow..it looks amazing already cheers  that window view looks so realistic

Cheers Chris bounce , I am really pleased with the window view too.
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 5:05 pm

SCU_HQ wrote:
The stairs really came together nicely! Everything looks fantastic so far, even with flat "documentary" lighting! Once the details and props are re-installed, and with atmospheric "scene" lighting it will look positively amazing! Perhaps you were able to out-do the perfection of the previous version!

Does the ceiling detach for photography purposes?

Thanks David cheers , I really am happy with its progress so far, I am hoping with the finishes touches it will bring everything together. I am actually looking forward to putting stuff back in, but at the moment, I must resist the temptation! lol! .
No mate the roof doesn't come off for two reasons, 1, its the top of the pc desk that the study is built in, and 2, The Ammo Arms lives on top of it! lol! lol! lol! afro
Back to top Go down
JohnnyE4
Red Devil
JohnnyE4

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 5:22 pm

looking good
Back to top Go down
http://littledandbubba.weebly.com/index.html
Professor Gangrene Fan
Professor Gangrene Fan

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 5:22 pm

Wow, I’m just loving the wooden staircase, it’s impressive piece of work Dal the builder Wink.

Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 5:30 pm

JohnnyE4 wrote:
looking good

Cheers Johnny! bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
BAMComix
Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 5:30 pm

Prof Gangrene Fan wrote:
Wow, I’m just loving the wooden staircase, it’s impressive piece of work Dal the builder Wink.

Thanks Alex! I really like the staircase too bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2019 11:37 pm

WOWSER DAl! Thats freakin awesome! cheers

Eagle Eyes
blackbrazen

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2019 1:44 am

This is fantastic, Dal. cheers Really enjoying watching the build progress. I always love reading through build logs on plastic modelling forums, and this is very similar. Superb work on the windows and stairs. The skyline view has worked out really well. Looking forward to seeing it progress!
I'll have to send old Brace back there on a secondment once it's finished to check it out! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!   Jake's Study Rebuild, take three! - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jake's Study Rebuild, take three!
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next