ActionManMobileOperations (AMMO)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AMMO: The home of all 1/6 scale action figures!

HomeHome  Ammo BriefingAmmo Briefing  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs!

Go down 
+3
BAMComix
inntruderr61
brownboots
7 posters
AuthorMessage
brownboots
Admin
brownboots

Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs! Empty
PostSubject: Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs!   Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs! Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2016 8:44 am

Pegs and legs...no I haven't taken leave of my senses!...really!

A friend of mine asked me to repair his AM, standard 64 bod job, easy you would think?
On closer inspection the Thigh connectors had totally corroded to flimsy crispy metal.
What could I repair them with? I like to pride myself on finding materials that are easy
To source in any Household...what to use?......hmmmmmm?

Then I realised.....pegs, or a least the metal that forms the spring in wooden pegs.
I set to work, tough to cut through but the Metal is the same diameter as AM metal work.

More to follow with pics....................soon as my hands heal! Very Happy

We SHALL Rebuild Him!

This is how he came to me, lots of corroded metal work, elastic shot and to make matters worse
the neck pin snapped when I took him apart to clean!......going well!

Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs! PV_AM1_zpsmg5ejipf

Where to start? Well......the thigh connectors were useless, thin, brittle rusted heaps
Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs! PV_AM2_zpshcvy3zg1

I couldn't make a loop out of the remaining elastic or manipulate any part remaining so I'll have to remake them. The best thing I could find.....and luckily was a superb material was the metalwork from clothes pegs.
I left the existing metal in to give me a size guide and proceeded to reshape the Peg metal.

Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs! PV_AM3_zpspvtp5rei

Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs! PV_AM4_zps4dlggwn1

Having made the connectors I ripped out the old ones.......they crumbled off easily enough!

To remake the metal you'll need 2 pairs of pliers, needle nosed ones (thin) and a thickish pair to hold the
metal and some good wire cutters....this stuff is tough to cut!!!

The neck connector.

Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs! PV_AM5_zpseq8pvak0

That was a punishing bit of repair.....was it worth it?

Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs! PV_AM6_zpsruquhi8m

You bet!!

He stands perfectly well, I tapped over the joint Rivets to tighten him up and buffed off some of the
rust on the external rivet heads.

.....over to you Chaps!!

Last edited by brownboots on Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
inntruderr61
inntruderr61

PostSubject: Re: Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs!   Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 2:12 am

Will be waiting to hear more and see pics Brownboots! Very Happy

Admin
BAMComix

PostSubject: Re: Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs!   Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 9:01 am

Fantastic stuff Paul! Looking forward to the pics bounce
Back to top Go down
brownboots
Admin
brownboots

PostSubject: Re: Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs!   Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 4:05 pm

Pictures are in.......any questions......just ask!
Back to top Go down
Captian action
Captian action

Location : Kent, The Lorry Park of England ! Some call it the garden of England , it is ,if your garden is covered in wheelie bins and dog doo !

PostSubject: Re: Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs!   Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 8:11 pm

Fantastic !

Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven  Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heavenRepairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs! G.I.-Joe-1964-Lineup-Title_zpsaepa6syh Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Wolf_Soldier64
Wolf_Soldier64

PostSubject: Re: Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs!   Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 8:31 pm

Well done Paul excellent work, great photos well done Very Happy

Red Devil
Rossini

PostSubject: Re: Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs!   Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 9:48 pm

Great save Paul and great use of everyday things too! I've used these to make vam hooks...Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs! IMG_20160323_214220_zpsletl0cko I work in an engineering dept abd we have an electrostatic powder paint plant for the work we do and they are hooks we hang work from as it goes round , they are copper coated mild steel and are strong but easy to cut and bend. Smile

Admin
brownboots

PostSubject: Re: Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs!   Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 12:00 am

They look useful, wish I had some before I had to cut through that tough peg metal!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs!   Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 12:06 am

Great fix up
Back to top Go down
gibri
Admin
gibri

PostSubject: Re: Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs!   Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 1:41 am

Fantabulous work Paul!!!

Those guys who built the Six Million Dollar Man were hacks compared to this restoration!!!

Was it worth it? I guess only you can answer that, but anytime you can get a Vintage AMan back on his feet it's a success...you don't have a lot of coinage invested in it...not sure how much blood loss you suffered...

I think I remember a guy from Canada who made a mold and was casting hands.

But seriously, great job Paul!!!

cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs!   Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Repairing Metalwork---the cheap way----pegs and Legs!
Page 1 of 1